Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anger

edited March 2010 in Meditation
Today, I was driving to the park with my girlfriend, and somebody was riding my butt. I "voiced" my annoyance out loud and quickly realized that it wasn't something to get worked up about. I told her that little things like that aren't worth getting upset about, but she felt that it's unhealthy to not let out your anger.

How can I justify being mad at anything, when it is only a momentary state of existence, or mad at anyone, who are all the same as myself?

How can we let out anger, I ask, in such a way that is both healthy, and mindful?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    never mind my reply was too morose..
  • edited March 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    never mind my reply was too morose..

Jeez, I didn't think that aggressive drivers were that awful. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    We can't.
    We should transform it, into compassion. For ourselves and for others.
    Anger is the one thing the Buddha told us it was right to kill.
    But killing in itself would pre-suppose sufficient anger to kill...So we should generate the concept that the only way to 'kill' anger, is to over-ride it and replace it with a more positive and generous attitude.

Just as you did.

I see your girlfriend's point, but the more you make Effort to transform Anger, the less it will arise.
  • edited March 2010
    don't ignore anger, if you do you will save it up like an untouched savings account..with a high interest rate..

understanding and transforming anger is really..key...

not my way..but it's the best way...

try this, every time you are angry enough..take note, and do 50 push ups.

eventually you will be such a beast..trust me after a good workout, anger fades, and what you have left is a wonderful high..and a sexy body. Then when you are making sweet love to your girlfriend, you can remind her, this sexy body is because of that asshole who cut me off,..and you will both love that guy...:D
  • edited March 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    not my way..but it's the best way...

try this, every time you are angry enough..take note, and do 50 push ups.

eventually you will be such a beast..trust me after a good workout, anger fades, and what you have left is a wonderful high..and a sexy body. Then when you are making sweet love to your girlfriend, you can remind her, this sexy body is because of that asshole who cut me off,..and you will both love that guy...:D

Great advice Found :lol: I'll end up doing hundreds of push ups a day. Then my arms will hurt, which will cause me more anger. It's a vicious cycle! My puny arms will snap.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I learned this from Ken McLeod's book Wake Up to Your Life: Think about the thing that makes you angry. Do everything you can to make the intensity of the anger grow; allow the self-righteousness, the indignation, etc. to grow and grow. Then, say to yourself: "I am angry and I'm glad!"

If you did it right, the anger should vanish and you should experience a moment of clear-seeing. You've just discovered the root that keeps anger from transforming naturally into a source of wisdom. Anger, more than any other emotion, triggers our resistance to reality as it is; although we think what we are angry about is the external circumstance, really we are angry at having to experience anger at all. At the heart of this resistance is the deep-seated belief that life should be pain-free. Buddhism is about transcending this tendency to avoid all negative emotions and cling to all positive emotions. When you accept your anger, it dissolves and automatically turns into a source of wisdom. You can see what is bothering you and its solution without resorting to blaming, stubbornness or violence.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    We use metaphors like "letting out anger" so often that we forget that anger is not a physical thing.

The next time you are angry look at your mind and ask, where did the anger come from. Not what is the reason for your anger, but what is its cause. If you look at your thoughts, they just pop into your mind with no seeming cause. If the other person's action was the cause of your anger, then everyone who finds themselves in the same situation as you would also become angry, and we know this is not the case.

Failing to find the cause, where is your anger now? Does anger, or any other thought or emotion have a location? Is your mind one thing and the anger another, is the anger in your mind, like a person is in a building? If that is the case, the anger is one thing and the mind another, so how could it affect your mind? If the anger is outside the mind, the same question applies. If the anger is your mind, how could you be aware of it? It would be like your face, invisible to you unless you look in a mirror.

When you release your anger, where does it go? If you hold it in, where does it stay? Do metaphors like this make any sense?

If you combine this sort of analysis with the practice of meditation, one day you may come to a remarkable discovery: neither you nor your thoughts have any reality. And that will be the final answer to your problem with anger.
  • edited March 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    I learned this from Ken McLeod's book Wake Up to Your Life: Think about the thing that makes you angry. Do everything you can to make the intensity of the anger grow; allow the self-righteousness, the indignation, etc. to grow and grow. Then, say to yourself: "I am angry and I'm glad!"
    what beautiful advice!! i am reading this book now, but apparently haven't gotten to this part. i have been learning that laughing allows the real seses to come through and puts the situation into perspective...it works! i will certainly try this new method...i appreciate your viewpoint!!
    *namaste*
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thanks priyajiivana! :) It really is a great book. McLeod has some very interesting ways of explaining the concepts. I'll try laughing during anger as well some time.
  • PaxPax
    edited March 2010
    I had difficulties with anger most of my life, I get angry in a heartbeat and it dissipates just as quickly; in the interim I feel absolutely awful. Anger is such a painful uncomfortable feeling! Thankfully I'm getting much better at recognizing the "hook" and stopping.

I recommend a wonderful book by Pema Chodron called Practicing Peace in Times of War. It has helped me immensely with realizing that anger only hurts me and does nothing to the person I'm angry with. It truly epitomizes what the Buddha said...

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    WOW!!

Amazing advice for anger on this thread!

I copied both Glow's and Jinzang's to keep and use for myself. Awesome advice!
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks priyajiivana! :) It really is a great book. McLeod has some very interesting ways of explaining the concepts. I'll try laughing during anger as well some time.
    Like anything that attempts to deal with anger, it is certainly not easy, but once you master it, it helps immensely. i can't wait to continue reading his book, it's been very inspiring so far. thank YOU! :D
  • edited March 2010
    today I got angry because I went to pick something up at work, and I scraped my hand on something near it.., not even a skin tear, it just hurt and bothered me..so I got mad at the object I was going to pick up, then angry at the ass who put it there,

I realized how ridiculous that was and it made me angry that I was really angry at my self...

after that I just got confused and was defeated by myself..
    hence I gained a victory .
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I've been doing the 50 push up exercise every time I get angry. And I don't know if it has been helping the anger go down so much, but I am noticing my arms starting to bulk up hahaha.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    How can I justify being mad at anything, when it is only a momentary state of existence, or mad at anyone, who are all the same as myself?
    Let's say your put your hand on a table. You can reason with it as much as you like. You can talk to it, yell at it and it won't move. It will only move if you choose to do so, but you can't talk your hand into moving. The same way I think justifying or condemning anger would be pointless.
    How can we let out anger, I ask, in such a way that is both healthy, and mindful?
    I am an angry person. God knows I have tried A LOT of different things. So far I have tried (with low to moderate success):

*Slowing down my breath;
    *Tonglen;
    *Any sort of activity that stops the mental chatter; (I noticed that the whole mental chatter of '100 ways in which I could get back to that person' only gives rise to more angry feelings, so I came to the conclusion that from a certain point I am just making myself angry);
    *Stop the name-calling (by that I mean thinking that the person is evil incarnate - does everybody think of that person like that? is he or she always like this? is this situation playing a part? how would I react if I were on his or her shoes?);
    *Talking about it with someone;
    *Being reasonable (ok this person said I have two noses, but do I really have two noses?);
    *You will notice that even when the person is right, you agree with them, if you know their intentions were bad you will still be raving mad with anger. I haven't found a good solution for this one but I am full of theories. x-)

I think when we know someone wants to harm us for amusement, to con us or in order to feel they are great (this is an extreme scenario, but it does happen) it is time to just to tell them to take a hike, really. If by some reason you can't do that at the moment or for a while then you have to accept the whole situation as a fact of life and find ways to move on. Try to focus more on the situation as a whole than the person itself and in what you can do to change.

If you get stuck on a fact of life, and by that I mean a situation from which you can't run or hide, the important thing is to keep moving. You will most likely continue to feel bad, but don't let that stop you from feeling good at the same time. I know it's weird and hard to explain, but it works moderately well (Am I just encouraging myself now? :P)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I don't think you need to let out anger, you just need to let it go. When you get angry, go back to breathing. I've been working on this quite a bit. Driving the highways around Detroit is definitely good practice! :p
  • edited March 2010
    Lincoln wrote: »
    When you get angry, go back to breathing.

Yes indeed.

When fierce anger arises and you notice the intensity of the feeling that is there, just place your awareness with breathing... and completely relax into the anger. It disappears.

In many situations when one can become suddenly angry, there simply isn't time to start conducting an in-depth analysis of the anger, so in my own experience, I've found that paying attention to the breath can be more suitable in the short term.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thich Nhat Hanh's book called Anger is pretty good. I like his stuff; he's got an easy to read writing style I like. I haven't finished the book, but I've tried one of the suggestions which is when you are angry you say to yourself, "I know you are there anger, and I will take care of you" (as you would a small upset child). And he goes onto say what to say to those whom your are angry with.

Now I thought it sounded silly, but when I caught myself getting angry, I followed his advice and guess what?

I smiled at the silliness of following the instructions and the power of the anger dissipated. It worked. But there's loads to the book, so may I suggest Amazon and don't follow my advice which is given from memory. :D
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    This advice needs to be put in context. It describes the transformation of anger to mirror-like pristine awareness by opening to it with loving-kindness. There's a lot of foundational work preceding that. Without that foundation, such a "transformation" will be highly unstable. (See the warnings about "gaining ideas" at the start of the Four Immeasurables chapter.)
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    This advice needs to be put in context. It describes the transformation of anger to mirror-like pristine awareness by opening to it with loving-kindness. There's a lot of foundational work preceding that. Without that foundation, such a "transformation" will be highly unstable. (See the warnings about "gaining ideas" at the start of the Four Immeasurables chapter.)
    Hmm... you are correct, fivebells. I hadn't thought about that. I posted that only as a means of introducing the possibility of opening to anger -- not as crutch for controlling experience. I did try to address the the "gaining ideas"/"child-god obsession" angle in my elaboration although I can see how it might go awry without McLeod's (very thorough) introduction. Otherwise, as an isolated exercise and introduction to opening into the emotional life (without grasping), it is pretty similar to other practices such as the "Say yes" meditation used by Tara Brach in Radical Acceptance and, I think, quite safe as a means of discovering the texture of anger beneath the habitual reactivity.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'm reading Tara Brach's Radical Acceptance (for the second time) currently. Once again I see the wisdom in her teaching - and once again I asked myself why I stopped practising and why was it so easy to do so? :/

Raven
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    My experience with prematurely introducing people to this practice is that it quickly goes awry. It is not enough to open to the anger. It is essential to also be prepared to open to whatever threat the anger is in response to, and to follow the path of opening wherever it leads. Otherwise, a new defense (often, intensified anger) quickly evolves (See the Zemyne legend and subsequent commentary at the start of Chapter 6, Wake Up To Your Life). For this reason, the death and karma meditations are an essential foundation to this practice.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Interesting. I've never witnessed that particular reaction. I think I've been exposed to so much material on accepting the emotional "whirlwind" and its ramifications for one's actions (Brach's book is particularly powerful in this regard) that I might have taken for granted the OP would understand it in that context. You're probably right in that it's not a good idea to introduce meditations without making sure they are in a place where they can handle its repercussions. I'll have to be more careful about that in future.