Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

before thoughts arise

skullchinskullchin Veteran
edited June 2010 in Meditation
i can notice thoughts arise during meditation and return to the breath. is there anything to notice before a thought or urge arises?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    The stillness of Mind?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    i can notice thoughts arise during meditation and return to the breath. is there anything to notice before a thought or urge arises?

You question cracks me up because sometimes in meditation, for me that is, right before a thought arises I have a brief feeling of trying to run up a greased slide.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I was reading in _The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying_ that meditation elongating the space between thoughts. So, I see how this is an odd question. I would just like some warning before another thought arises I guess.

So, I can count breathes much better that I used to be able to. At this point should I just stop counting and focus on the breath?
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thought does not involve an urge, it has no mass and absolutely no contoller or director. Having a genuine stoppage in thought is unlikely unless your pretty absorbed in an object. They will thin out in shikantaza practice instead of stopping, becoming more and more transparent until they are gone, then no thought, no I, no not-I. Like Sueng Sahn says "red comes only red, blue comes only blue". It's the event horizon of language. Most of the time when we see a gap between thoughts there is still subtle ideation going on, a very sutble this and that. More like a subtle sense of "me and that"
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    So, I can count breathes much better that I used to be able to. At this point should I just stop counting and focus on the breath?
    i thought this may be useful to you.
    He suggest a possible answer to your question by the end of the video.
    <object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/03nifVj9pqI&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Who is that? He's great to listen to. I could listen to him for hours.

Incredibly helpful for me at this moment. I've been getting lost with my 'Buddho' silent mantra and really needed a simple, quick, and reliable refocusing technique, a kind of 'going back to the very beginning' thing and this is perfect.

Thanks, patbb! So appreciate it.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Who is that? He's great to listen to.
    Ajahn Jayasaro, an old student of Ajahn Chah.
    isn't his voice so soft and pleasant to listen to? :)
    Brigid wrote: »
    I could listen to him for hours.
    Luckily for you, you can :)

he has many video series on youtube.

- meditation series
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

- A serie where he tell the story of Ajahn Chah (really interesting and entertaining)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YiiLrCS-P8

- question and answer series
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keVDt96ufEo

and more on this channel http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube

enjoy :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Got it. It's Ajahn Jayasaro, right? Dazzle recommends this video series, I think. It's really good!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ooops! I didn't see your post until after I posted.

Thanks!

Yes, he's wonderful.
    I've never met a student of Ajahn Chah's I didn't like. :D
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010

This sounds like you want there to be some kind of "warning" or a sign that a thought WILL be popping up soon. If so, I don't think there is such a thing, but I would sure like it if there were, because having a way of knowing when and what is gonna pop into your mind, whether it is during meditation or after, would be very interesting. Kind of a way to tell the future in some ways.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited June 2010
    @patbb: This successive count is wonderful. It forces you to engage your mind more than the standard 1 to 10 count, though it's not as relaxing. I actually made it through a couple of cycles, though I lost a few as well. I find that sometimes random thoughts will flit through my mind, but I won't lose track of the count. Should I restart when that happens, even though I haven't lost track of my place or my goal?
  • edited June 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    @patbb: This successive count is wonderful. It forces you to engage your mind more than the standard 1 to 10 count, though it's not as relaxing. I actually made it through a couple of cycles, though I lost a few as well. I find that sometimes random thoughts will flit through my mind, but I won't lose track of the count. Should I restart when that happens, even though I haven't lost track of my place or my goal?

I don't know if you should, or shouldn't, all I can say is that I don't start over when I find that I've been thinking during the count, as long as I don't forget the count. Otherwise I would never get past one! :lol:
    edited June 2010
    Counting your breath is just gathering your mind and settling. It isn't necessary to perfect it before opening out. You could get perfect at it, do it forever, and learn nothing.

When practicing with a Vedanta teacher counting breath was the only practice, It lead to entering the breath into deeper levels of peace. This was called "Godhead". It was a refuge from the world and worries..... but I didn't learn a thing. It provided absolutely no insight, and the same worries were there after.

Just an opinion.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    @patbb - I don't have the Flash plugin on this computer (and I'm averse to install it). I'll take a look once a get to a different computer (which could be a few day, but thanks in advance!)

@lightwithin - yes, I suppose it does sound like looking into the future, *sigh*

@Richard H - how would you describe "opening out"

:) thanks for the replies yall :D
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010

As your mind becomes quieter you'll notice all sorts of stuff bubbling around on the edges of consciousness. Just be aware of whatever arises.:)

P
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I would say if you are waiting for thoughts that itself is thinking mind. It is thinking 'pounce' 'pounce' 'pounce' 'pounce'

waiting for a thought to pounce on. That too is thinking mind.
    edited June 2010
    how would you describe "opening out"
    When awareness is settled and stable, you open out to the totality of experience in the moment. Body, mind and environment, internal, external subtle and gross, as it presents, at once. The sense of experiencer gives way to experiencing. This is Zazen. However there are also Thai forest monks who teach this way. It is how Ajahn Sumedho taught this recent retreat here in Canada.

There is seeing but no seer therein
    There is hearing but no hearer therein
    There is feeling but no feeler therein'
    ...etc.

This opening out is not permanent because when certain karmic triggers are touched off the sense of experiencer (and suffering) returns. But when sitting this is the practice. Its the base of awakeness you wake-up to when you let go.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Counting your breath is just gathering your mind and settling. It isn't necessary to perfect it before opening out. You could get perfect at it, do it forever, and learn nothing.

When practicing with a Vedanta teacher counting breath was the only practice, It lead to entering the breath into deeper levels of peace. This was called "Godhead". It was a refuge from the world and worries..... but I didn't learn a thing. It provided absolutely no insight, and the same worries were there after.

Just an opinion.

"In this way did Alara Kalama, my teacher, place me, his pupil, on the same level with himself and pay me great honor. But the thought occurred to me, 'This Dhamma leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to Awakening, nor to Unbinding, but only to reappearance in the dimension of nothingness.' So, dissatisfied with that Dhamma, I left.

"In this way did Uddaka Ramaputta, my companion in the holy life, place me in the position of teacher and pay me great honor. But the thought occurred to me, 'This Dhamma leads not to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to stilling, to direct knowledge, to Awakening, nor to Unbinding, but only to reappearance in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception.' So, dissatisfied with that Dhamma, I left.

"Then again the monk, with the complete transcending of the dimension of nothingness, enters & remains in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. This monk is said to have blinded Mara. Trackless, he has destroyed Mara's vision and has become invisible to the Evil One.

"Then again the monk, with the complete transcending of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, enters & remains in the cessation of perception & feeling. And, having seen [that] with discernment, his mental fermentations are completely ended. This monk is said to have blinded Mara. Trackless, he has destroyed Mara's vision and has become invisible to the Evil One. Having crossed over, he is unattached in the world. Carefree he walks, carefree he stands, carefree he sits, carefree he lies down. Why is that? Because he has gone beyond the Evil One's range."

And any priests or contemplatives tied to these five strings of sensuality — infatuated with them, having totally fallen for them, consuming them without seeing their drawbacks or discerning the escape from them — should be known as having met with misfortune, having met with ruin; Mara can do with them as he will.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.026.than.html
    edited June 2010
    pegembara wrote: »

It is unclear whether the meditations taught by this Vedanta teacher are the Jhanas described in the Suttas. It certainly fits the descriptions, but if it was, it only "just touched" higher absorptions, if that.