Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The many teachings of Buddha.

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
The explanation of Buddha’s many teachings.
We know that exists many sutras preached by The Buddha (Siddharta Gautama). There’s a phrase of “eighty four thousand teachings” or “eighty thousand teachings” to describe the entire body of the teachings that were expounded during the life time of the Buddha. These numbers are not to be taken literally, but simply indicates the large number of sutras existed. Have you ever wonder how could there be so many teachings or sutras?
I’m gonna try to explain to you as best as I can.
So, when the first time the Buddha attained his enlightenment, at the same time, he realized a difficult situation ahead if he wants to share his enlightenment to others.
Imagine, he has realized the profound and the highest enlightenment that could be attained by human. Imagine yourself as a professor that is trying to explain the superstring theory or the big bang theory to some kindergarten students. That was his position at the moment. He has something which was too difficult to be explained to others. But, he’s a genius indeed, and a good teacher to be exact. He realized that in order to teach what he had attained, he has to prepare his disciples till some certain state of understanding. That’s why, there were known some various way of teachings of the Buddha : teaching suited to the capacity of the hearers, teaching when he was asked to preach, etc. But, all of these teachings are only provisional teachings, the teachings that only contain partial aspects of the truth that the Buddha had attained. The function of these are to prepare the disciples to accept the ultimate Truth, the True Teaching that is not being asked by anyone, the teaching that the Buddha expounded himself without considering the capacity of the hearers, the real thing that he got, the highest enlightenment that he attained. This is the Lotus Sutra (Sanskrit : Saddharma Pundarika Sutra, or literally means, The sutra of the Lotus of the Wonderful Law). Among all other sutras, this is the best, the highest, the most profound, the king of all sutras. Here, the Buddha reveal the real enlightenment that he got.
According to T’ien-t’ai (538-597) “provisional” means a temporary expedient, which is to be employed temporarily and then discarded. This provisional teachings applied to all hinayana/theravada (The Teachings of the Elders) and all provisional mahayana teachings. But, even after the emergence of the Lotus Sutra, the contains were very difficult to understand because of its profound meanings. That is why in the next post later, I will give you all what is called as FIVEFOLD COMPARISON by Nichiren that explains the comparison of the teachings.
what do you guys think?
See you later!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo 3x.
Handrio, Indonesia.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Sounds to me like typical religious thinking: "my bit of the scriptures is the best/the only one, and, without it you perish."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Thank you Hansquad... expect an animated discussion.... hopefully this will lead to open-minded and interesting 'dialogue'....

*am watching this space.... wink!*
  • edited October 2005
    I think this is where we should remember that the Buddha had no internet, all of his disciple and students came and went the whole time he taught. As each yelled 'eureka!!!" or "by jove I've got it!!" they went off to teach what they had learned, hence the vast number of schools of thought and sects of buddhism. This is why the Buddha prophesised the three periods after his death, the Former day of the law, when his teachings held power for everyone. The middle day of the Law, when his teachings became ritualistic and the Latter day of the Law, when his true teaching would be revealed that would last throughout eternity. In his Lotus Sutra (Brian Wilson Translation) In the Expedient means chapter, he says that what is taught in the LS could only be shared and understood between Buddhas, nor could it be understood with the intellect alone. Approximately 2220 years after the buddhas death along comes Nichiren, the buddhist reformist, who clarified the teachings of the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law for us, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!. The Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law is nothing other than the chanting of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, which translates to: Devotion (to the) Wonderful or Mystic Law (of the) Lotus (cause and effect) Teaching. Wanna know more?
  • edited October 2005
    Oh and I forgot, all the teachings before and after the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha said were merely expedient means, you know like going to school from kindergarten until you have learned enough to get your doctorate.