Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindfulness and Living in the Present.

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
So if Buddhists are supposed to focus their consciousness on living in the present moment...do we plan ahead for major future events? How about look forward with happiness to something exciting at the end of the week? By the same note, do we try to completely force the past out of our minds? If that's the case, how does one learn from his mistakes and past experiences to build a better present?

With Metta,

SteadyBlue

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    SteadyBlue wrote: »
    So if Buddhists are supposed to focus their consciousness on living in the present moment...do we plan ahead for major future events? How about look forward with happiness to something exciting at the end of the week? By the same note, do we try to completely force the past out of our minds? If that's the case, how does one learn from his mistakes and past experiences to build a better present?

With Metta,

SteadyBlue

we need chronological time (Calendars, timetables, dates, anniversaries) to provide some kind of order in our day-to-day lives. It's how the world functions.
    Plan ahead, of course, but take nothing for granted. look forward to great times, occasions, dates... whatever. but know that they come, happen and pass.
    The past only works if we use it to build our present, not demolish it.
  • edited October 2010
    i believe that hard-core abstaining from thinking about the past and future is a step far ahead of the beginning mind-trainer. it is a step that naturally follows after progress with dispassion. so if you're a beginner mind-trainer, i would say worry about other things for now such as cutting down on stimulation, and regulating your behavior. these things will lead you forward on the path, and gradually your understanding of the path itself will change.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Eckhart Tolle gives some good advice on this subject, though in practise, for me, it's not easy to do.

However, I've been meditating for over a year now; I have what I think is a good regular practice; and somehow this tends to leech into my day-to-day life and I feel much calmer. I still have difficulties in life, but now a problem seems to be less 'in my face', there's a little distance between it and me, and this helps me not to ruminate about all the bad possibilities the future holds for me; thereby stopping me living in the future.

I also try to be mindful, and (when I remember), I try put a little bit of consciousness into my body during day-to-day tasks - to mindfully check how I feel - and this seems to be a good tool for keeping me present.

I'm far from being anything like being accomplished at this stuff though; I'm still very much learning how to do this.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    So if Buddhists are supposed to focus their consciousness on living in the present moment...

This is the object - to hold both the relative reality and the ultimate reality in the mind simultaneously so that the subject, you, and the object are fused. And the way to do this is by developing the altruistic motive of wishing to reappear to help others.

So one can plan all they like but unless the right motivation is employed and the right concentration along with having all obscurations obliterated one will inevitable be consumed by the duality of it all.

Unfortunately it is our pride that undercuts our best intentions.

So the best move is to generate the desire to become a Buddha - they can see all things simultaneously as they really are.

How to do this - following the six perfections and remove obscurations.
  • edited October 2010
    There's a difference between being thoughtful and getting carried away with your imagination.

Both can cause you to suffer but if you're concentrating positively on appropriate ways to improve a situation then that's ok.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Don't take it to extremes forcing thoughts. The idea is that you are losing some moments spacing out. Try eating 3 raisins very slowly noting each sensation. It makes the 3 raisins very satisfying to eat them slowly and mindfully. Jon Kabat Zinn does a guided eating meditation. Similarly mindfulness of the breath can be pleasant or at least you notice exactly what is going on if it is unpleasant.

Mindfulness of the body can let us know how our body feels. It can cue us in to how certain behaviors mental and physical are affecting our body. We have the potential to learn to relax more and feel better.

The alternative is to just gulp those 3 raisins and never taste them. As you day dream or worry or whatever. You end up dreaming instead of awake. Remember 'buddha' means awake.

If you don't want to wake up then buddhism may not be apealing right now for you but keep it in mind as an option should you suffer and wish to try to wake up.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Oh and it is possible to think about the future without daydreaming. You can think and notice your thoughts with a quality of mindfulness. Indeed that is one type of meditation to take thinking as the object of attention.

But use common sense and not force. If something feels bad its probably a wrong understanding.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Blue,

This is how I deal with the issues you raise. But I can't really say if it is the Buddhist way....
    So if Buddhists are supposed to focus their consciousness on living in the present moment...do we plan ahead for major future events?
    Yes, we plan ahead for future events and diarize it so our minds are free to get on with other things. This planning and diarizing are present-moment exercises. This is not day-dreaming about the future. This is not worrying about the future. This is not dwelling in the future. It is a task at hand, now.
    How about look[ing] forward with happiness to something exciting at the end of the week?
    This is quite a tough one, at least for me. We should try, as much as possible, not to get too exited about future events. The future is not always certain. If things don't go as expected, suffering follows. But still, thoughts about exciting future events will keep arising, and the best we can do is to acknowledge them and let them go... And come back to the present moment, the here-and-now.
    By the same note, do we try to completely force the past out of our minds? If that's the case, how does one learn from his mistakes and past experiences to build a better present?
    Remembering certain things about the past is very important. Say we are replacing the cam belt in our car. We have done this job before, you recollect how you did it previously, become aware of the do's and dont's, and thus are able to do the task at hand efficiently and successfully. The thing here is that we are not dwelling in the past, we are actually engaged in a task in the present moment. But we shouldn't constantly think about the past if it has no benefit to what we are doing in the present moment. If we do that, the present moment experience will be lost for ever, we cannot get it back. It's like wasting a part of our lifetime.

I'm not sure if this is of any help to you... if not, just ignore. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    So if Buddhists are supposed to focus their consciousness on living in the present moment...do we plan ahead for major future events?

Yes, because planning ahead always happens in the present moment and only in the present moment.
    How about look forward with happiness to something exciting at the end of the week?

Yes, because looking forward always happens in the present moment and only in the present moment.

By the same note, do we try to completely force the past out of our minds?

No, because contemplating the past always happens in the present moment and only in the present moment.
    If that's the case, how does one learn from his mistakes and past experiences to build a better present?

By contemplating the past and the mistakes you have made and why you made them, in the present moment.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I think one of the major shifts in my thinking ("realizations" if you will) about time and events and the future is that it's fine to plan, and even to anticipate. But know that plans seldom unfold in exactly the way we anticipate them. Sometimes they turn out better, sometimes they turn out worse. But almost always different somehow. Being aware of this, and accepting it, AND accepting whatever it is that ends up happening without judging it as "good" or "bad" is the key. I'm planning a holiday in Belize over New Years. I'm greatly anticipating going and having a good time. Might there be a tropical storm that interrupts my holiday? Certainly. Might something else happen? Certainly. Might I go and have an even better time than I anticipate? Hard to imagine, but yes, possible. But I'm going to be okay with whatever happens. If I can't do anything about it, it's not worth worrying about. And as HHDL says "If it's something you can't change, why worry? And if it *is* something you can change, why worry?" Love that quote!
  • edited October 2010
    We had experiences in the past and we will have experiences in the future. Just like I am having an experience right now typing this.

The problem is our attachment to the past is so strong and our fear of the future is so irrational.

It is the source of much unnecessary suffering.
  • edited October 2010
    One example I have in mind: Today, I'm having a hard time focusing on the present because I have soccer practice this evening. I'd much rather be playing soccer than sitting in lecture. Is there any way I can stop the daydreaming and be more mindful?
  • edited October 2010
    Yes.
    Turn on the mindfulness. You will find that there is excitement in the mind along with the thoughts of soccer. But if you look closely there is also misery! Paying attention to the misery will train your mind to not fantasize, because it will help you let go of the excitement.
  • edited October 2010
    Yes.
    Turn on the mindfulness. You will find that there is excitement in the mind along with the thoughts of soccer. But if you look closely there is also misery! Paying attention to the misery will train your mind to not fantasize, because it will help you let go of the excitement.

I ended up getting injured at practice...coincidence?
  • edited October 2010
    That is partly funny. I hate injuries though.
    But no it's not a coincidence. The things of the world are problematic. It makes sense that you would have a problem with one. I hope your injury didn't cause any permanent damage. I have some very minor but permanent damage in my right knee from trying to impress a female with a bicycle.
  • edited October 2010
    One example I have in mind: Today, I'm having a hard time focusing on the present because I have soccer practice this evening. I'd much rather be playing soccer than sitting in lecture. Is there any way I can stop the daydreaming and be more mindful?

Hi SteadyBlue,

This Dhamma Talk from Ajahn Sumedho (a highly respected abbot in the Theravada Forest Tradition) called "Collecting the Mind in the Moment" might be helpful.

http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139:collecting-the-mind-in-the-moment&catid=34:dhammatalks&Itemid=61

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited October 2010
    I think the heart of mindfulness is exercising our ability to perform the task at hand with care and attention. When we want to plan, we can plan thoughtfully. When we want to reflect on events, we can reflect deeply. Mindfulness increases our effectiveness.
  • edited October 2010
    That is partly funny. I hate injuries though.
    But no it's not a coincidence. The things of the world are problematic. It makes sense that you would have a problem with one. I hope your injury didn't cause any permanent damage. I have some very minor but permanent damage in my right knee from trying to impress a female with a bicycle.

The ball did strike my "personal" area, moving at a speed of no less than 30mph I would estimate. Ouch. I'll be more mindful next week.