Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am newly enlightened! Anybody else?

Mintyfresh0Mintyfresh0 Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Okay so "I" might've cheated a little bit. My awakening was the result of a drug trip and a few days ago I was so close that I could taste it... So I took a pretty brave dose of DMT.

Regardless, I am now enlightened... But I guess I should say that this brain is now enlightened, since there is no me to speak of... Just another character in the play where the stage is the world.

It is not at all what I expected it to be, and I am actually a little bit depressed about it all. Don't get me wrong this brain and body are much happier than they used to be and I can foresee that the happiness will continue, but the notion that I... That we... That the only consciousness there is created existence most likely out of loneliness is extremely sad. I suppose that is assuming that our supreme awareness is capable of feeling such emotions without a body though and perhaps I am personifying us too much.

I feel connected with all people now... But I can see through the disguise and realize that they are all me... And that makes "me" or this body, whatever you want to call it, fairly sad. I don't want to be alone in the universe.... I feel more alone than ever now. So much for enlightenment being the end of suffering.... Infact 99% of all the things we hear about enlightenment aren't completely true ... And some of them have no basis at all.

I am free to do whatever I please now, but I would really like to speak to some BODY who has been enlightened for a number of years now and perhaps went through the same emotional state I am finding myself in now.

If you really want enlightenment you will find it, just be careful what you wish for.... It is not all rainbows and sunshine.

It took this body five months from awakening to enlightenment. I don't imagine it should just much longer than that. If you have been struggling for a very long time, a reevaluation of your methods would be helpful. This brain used a lot of mental images of outer space because it seemed to be the perfect imagery for getting outside of "myself"

Comments

• This'll get the anti-drugs squad going: such a sharing is like a dose of syrup of figs - get ready for a lot of sh*t!
  • Okay so "I" might've cheated a little bit. My awakening was the result of a drug trip and a few days ago I was so close that I could taste it... So I took a pretty brave dose of DMT.

Regardless, I am now enlightened... But I guess I should say that this brain is now enlightened, since there is no me to speak of... Just another character in the play where the stage is the world.

It is not at all what I expected it to be, and I am actually a little bit depressed about it all. Don't get me wrong this brain and body are much happier than they used to be and I can foresee that the happiness will continue, but the notion that I... That we... That the only consciousness there is created existence most likely out of loneliness is extremely sad. I suppose that is assuming that our supreme awareness is capable of feeling such emotions without a body though and perhaps I am personifying us too much.

I feel connected with all people now... But I can see through the disguise and realize that they are all me... And that makes "me" or this body, whatever you want to call it, fairly sad. I don't want to be alone in the universe.... I feel more alone than ever now. So much for enlightenment being the end of suffering.... Infact 99% of all the things we hear about enlightenment aren't completely true ... And some of them have no basis at all.

I am free to do whatever I please now, but I would really like to speak to some BODY who has been enlightened for a number of years now and perhaps went through the same emotional state I am finding myself in now.

If you really want enlightenment you will find it, just be careful what you wish for.... It is not all rainbows and sunshine.

It took this body five months from awakening to enlightenment. I don't imagine it should just much longer than that. If you have been struggling for a very long time, a reevaluation of your methods would be helpful. This brain used a lot of mental images of outer space because it seemed to be the perfect imagery for getting outside of "myself"

I was listening to a podcast with Graham Hancock yesterday talking about DMT/Ayuasca, it was fascinating (One of my ambitions for a while has been to go to Brazil and try this a few times). People really do swear by this.

Are you enlightened by this? Consider this:

If the world is just material then enlightenment will depend just on material changes therefore there is no dharmic reason, or logical reason, why a substance could not cause enlightenment.

Here is a question: If there was a pill that could Nibbanarise anyone who took it, would you take it?

On a more prosaic note, Simonthepilgrim is right:P

• I am new around here, is this community against drugs in spiritual practice? The precept is no drugs that take away from mindfulness. If one were to take a certain view point, life is just a series of chemical reactions anyway. I believe there are certain chemicals that take away from mindfulness... Alcohol and amphetamines come to mind, but certainly not psychedelics when used correctly.

But either way if possible I would like to downplay the drug part of this thread and focus on the other stuff. I would really like another "person" ... Body and brain I guess to relate to...
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The word "spiritual" has its roots in the Latin "to breathe".

The Buddha recommended mindfulness with breathing technique for spiritual awakening.

All the best

:)
    edited December 2010
    In Buddhism, an enlightened being is self-reliant.

For example, in the Buddhist scriptures, a layman named Upali listened to a very short sermon by the Buddha. Upali gained enlightenment (stream entry) and advised the Buddha he no longer needed a teacher.

The Buddha responded to Upali he should do what he feels is fit for him to do.

edited December 2010
    I am actually a little bit depressed about it all.

That the only consciousness there is created existence most likely out of loneliness is extremely sad.

I suppose that is assuming that our supreme awareness is capable of feeling such emotions without a body though and perhaps I am personifying us too much.

I feel connected with all people now... But I can see through the disguise and realize that they are all me... And that makes "me" or this body, whatever you want to call it, fairly sad. I don't want to be alone in the universe.... I feel more alone than ever now.

This brain used a lot of mental images of outer space because it seemed to be the perfect imagery for getting outside of "myself"
    Dear friend Minty Fresh

That you feel depressed, sad, emotional & lonely is why Buddhism does not recommend the path of drug taking.

Allow me to explain to you the difference between drugs and meditation.

Taking drugs suppresses emotions such as loneliness & saddness. It is like sweeping dirt under a carpet. From that suppression, the state of unified selfless blissful consciousness occurs. But the dirt always remains under the carpet.

Whereas meditation dissolves & cleanses emotions such as fear, loneliness & saddness. From the dissolving of emotions (called the five hindrances), comes the state of unified selfless blissful consciousness.

We can compare it to a rusty motor car. One way to avoid the rust is the simply paint over the rust. This is the way of drugs. But the underlying rust (emotions) are always there.

Another way to avoid rust is to cut it out. This is hard work but the rust will be gone and all that remains is shiny bright luminous metal.

The fruit of right meditation and spiritual practise is ALONENESS (rather than LONELINESS). ALONENESS is the state of perfect spiritual independence & freedom.

I can only recommend you stop taking drugs because they are freaking your mind out (as your post demonstrates).

The Buddha way is through breathing. Through attending to one's natural breathing rhythms, the mind becomes grounded & calm. The mind does not get "outside" of itself but, to the contrary, "inside" of itself.

All the best

May your mind find the real happiness it deserves & was born to find

DD

• Please ignore the drug part of the post.
    edited December 2010
    OK. As you ask.

But as I said, enlightenment is all sunshine. Aloneness but not loneliness.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Drugs make you more deluded then you where before. This is rule one.
    When you come to speak to us of enlightenment after many years of meditative accomplishment having freed oneself of Delusions big and small accomplished the paths of purifying the subtle Body and mind perhapes then people will take you seriously.

Coming to us and telling us of enlightenment after a Drug trip is not worth the hassel of the responses you will get from violating the most basic aspects of training the mind.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Beautiful thread!:)
  • The Buddhist way to come to insights is usually through meditation. It does not have to be the only way, though. People can come to insights via listening to the words of the Buddha too. And people who had a stroke for instance claim to be enlightened, something which can very well be true.

BUT I don't believe drugs will help you because they delude the mind rather than clarifying it. No doubt you had a wonderful experience, but if you're still wondering about it, it was no enlightenment.

The more I meditate the less I feel lonely and the more I feel happy to be honest. Not that I'm enlightened or anything, but I can't in any way imagine it to be a sad state of mind.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If I see one more doofwit thread like this.... :rolleyes:
  • Mintyfresh0Mintyfresh0 Veteran
    edited December 2010
    The catalyst is meaningless. The experience remains true.

I only need be taken seriously by the minds I am searching for.

Besides, if the need to criticize this thread arises, your mind is probably still asleep.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The catalyst is meaningless. The experience remains true.

I only need be taken seriously by the minds I am searching for.

Besides, if the need to criticize this thread arises, your mind is probably still asleep.
    Gee if only we could all get as high as a kite and become enlightend....
  • The only thing you learn from getting high or stoned on drugs is what it feels like to be high or stoned on drugs. There is not and never will be enlightenment in a pill or puff. Enlightenment has nothing to do with your mood or what chemicals you soak your brain in. The chemical balance of the brain is just the form part of the skandhas. It takes all the skandhas working in harmony to bring the mind into balance.

And yes, some religions have used psychoactive drugs in ceremonies as an aid to spiritual experiences. Those are carefully controlled experiences as a small part of a much larger practice, and the ritual is as important as the drug. Even Rastafarians don't just hand you a bag of pot and say, "Hey man, getting stoned is all there is to our practice!" And, nobody is ever going to be able to point to a spot in the brain and say, "We can give you a pill to make this enlightenment area light up!"

If drugs led to spiritual insight, every bar would be full of enlightened people. If you want to enjoy recreational chemicals, enjoy. But, don't try to justify it as anything beyond what it is. And Buddhism has a precept that says it's an activity that leads to selfish desires, so be careful.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Not saying you can't get into certain states with drugs, but they WILL be clouded, unsharp and not as beautiful. So there's your sadness. And therefore I think pure enlightenment is not within reach with drugs. They might even oppose it.
  • I'm not advocating the use of drugs as a method to enlightenment, it is merely one of many paths. It is not being forced upon any of you, but I do understand the need to fear the unknown because we share more than you can possibly imagine.

Consider for a moment that all is energy. The tree in your backyard, your mother, the water that rains from the sky, the drugs that were the catalyst of my enlightenment... It is all the same, there is no difference. There is nothing to fear and there is nothing to criticize.

With that said, also consider how ridiculous it is to tell a realized mind that they are not realized, when you can openly admit that you do not know what that realization is.

Don't get me wrong, the unity and oneness I feel with all life is nothing short of amazing, but try to put yourself in this situation. I cannot tell my family what ive gone through, they won't believe or accept it... You people I don't even know on message board don't accept it and you've never even met me. Consider that in all likelihood any woman I meet in the future will still be asleep, there is a very slim chance I can share all with her. Consider that from now on i cannot help but view life as some kind of soap opera and everybody just a bad actor.

The gift is that I am VERY unaffected by all that goes around me... Or should I say my body.
    The curse is that I will be endlessly doubted by other minds and my choices are few. Pretend to he part of the soap opera or be viewed as crazy by nearly all minds.

There is a price to pay, do not delude yourself as I did.

With all of that said, I do not recommend the way I went about of all this to any of you. I much would have preferred waking up naturally through meditation, but there is no changing what is already done.

I trust that if there is a jnani much wiser than myself here reading this, that they will contact me.
  • the idea that you need to tell your family, need not to feel lonely, need to live with people who are enlightened, need to not be doubted by other minds etc. tells me your not enlightened.

I have had several revelations, but i'm going to assume i'm not enlightened until i've broken free of fetters, not gotten high. and until my experience actually lasts.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I trust that if there is a jnani much wiser than myself here reading this, that they will contact me.
    That would be me, by proxy.
    I suggest you go back to the drawing board.
    Those that aren't, crow. Those that are, don't need to.

This discussion has been closed.