Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My life sux

edited December 2005 in General Banter
I know that anyone who reads this might think its just the cliche ramblings of a teenager, but I felt that I needed to post this. Basically my life sux. Ive been depressed for a long, long, time. Then I started to cut about a year ago. Then my parents found out They made me see a couslelor/therapist person that i still see every 2 weeks. Then I stopped for about a month and started again. Then I tried to take my life and ended up in a mental hospital. Im fine now but I have to take zoloft for a while. Also, Ive been a loner for a good portion of my life so I dont really have any friends and I have never had a girlfriend. (although girls have made advances towards me but when that happened I was too depressed to care) On top of that my parents are seperated and my mom is dating a stalker, and I am struggling with my relgion. Does anyone have any advice for how I can make things easier for me?

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Nirvananoob, it's difficult and probably not the best of ideas to advise someone for such a serious condition over the internet. However, I would say that it would be worth asking your doctor to get you referred for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That, in conjunction with mindfulness meditation is becoming a standard treatement option for depression and other conditions, where it's been shown to be highly effective. You might also want to read these books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572307064/102-7905838-0611335?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786880708/102-7905838-0611335?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385303122/102-7905838-0611335?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    NirvanaNoob, I am also going through an incredibly depressing time right now. Basically I have also been suicidal and everything that I have ever held dear in my life seems to be going away.

It's funny. I practice a path that teaches us nothing other than "everything is impermanent", but when I'm faced with the actual reality of it, all of my teachings and readings and everything just fizzles away.

I'm not sure what to tell you, except that it can get better. For example, I decided to take responsibility for something simple: my own body. I've never been able to do this, and I am almost 30 years old. I am pretty badly overweight, and so I decided to use this as a focus for my change. I figure "start small" and if I can take control of this ONE thing, perhaps I can learn how to take control of other things. So in the last month and a half, I've lost over 20 pounds. The sense of control over myself that I have gained is very encouraging.

Another thing I've started is tonglen practice. You can read about that here. I've found that totally focusing on other people's suffering has helped me forget my own, even if its only for a short time.

Good luck, man. I understand what you're going through.
  • edited November 2005
    Brian, permit me to say that that's very good advice. The one thing I would add is that Tonglen practice also enables us to be compassionate towards ourselves and our own suffering as well as that of others, realising that we are not as alone as we might think.
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited November 2005
    NirvanaNoob,Everyone have their own obstacles to face.The main thing is to try to solve it.

Getting all depressed all following your feelings too much will not do much good.Though reading your story have made me feel that there are others much worse of than me,I feel that I might face the situation as you,First of all,life does not suck.the fact that we are alive and well means that its good enough.We were born with two hands and two legs.

The fact that we sometimes say that"My life sucks.Why do I have these problems?" makes our problem worse.The view that our problems are unfair merely makes our problems far more worse.Maybe I am in no position to comment or give advice.

The point is,do not let other factors get in your way.Let nature takes its course.And always know there are people who realy care and are truely concern about you.

As for your religion,choose the path that your heart tells you to.Nobody can say you have made the right or wrong choice.Good luck.

"May your faith in yourself and your religion remain unwavering"
    -Ar.Aid
  • edited November 2005
    I know that anyone who reads this might think its just the cliche ramblings of a teenager, but I felt that I needed to post this. Basically my life sux. Ive been depressed for a long, long, time. Then I started to cut about a year ago. Then my parents found out They made me see a couslelor/therapist person that i still see every 2 weeks. Then I stopped for about a month and started again. Then I tried to take my life and ended up in a mental hospital. Im fine now but I have to take zoloft for a while. Also, Ive been a loner for a good portion of my life so I dont really have any friends and I have never had a girlfriend. (although girls have made advances towards me but when that happened I was too depressed to care) On top of that my parents are seperated and my mom is dating a stalker, and I am struggling with my relgion. Does anyone have any advice for how I can make things easier for me?

Know that it does get better. I never thought middle and high school would end. I wanted to die, even called 911 once because I was scared that I might do something. My mom was no help. She was in denial and I realize now that she had her own problems that she is still in denial about. Plus there was the struggling with religions stuff, too. And hormones suck.

Now, though, things are definitely better. For one thing, the teenage hormones and brain changes are a thing of the past. Plus I'm out of my mom's house - which has made our relationship so much better. And I've met so many cool people in college - and they are all nerds just like me, but cool like me too in that "I love how weird you are because it makes you unique" way. And being older rocks because you've had time to get to know yourself and gain confidence. I still have lots of question about who I am and what this life/universe is all about, but I've also realized that I don't need the answers right now, if ever.

In the meantime, keep ranting. That's what teenages do - and I still do. It's a great way to let out some steam. Plus you can connect to others and realize you are definitely not alone. I guarantee you that most of the people around you your age are feeling like you do at least some of the time (it's a matter of degree sometimes). It wasn't till later that I found out just how many of my friends had been suicidal or cutters or something. We were all kind of caught up in our own stuff at the time, as well as being ashamed to admit how we were feeling. My mom didn't want me to tell anyone about my problems - especially about the 911 call. That alone made me feel like a freak. She made it seem like no one would want to be around me. Now I know that I wasn't alone. I wish I had known then, though.
  • edited November 2005

NirvanaNoob:

I don't think that what I have read is the cliche ramblings of a teenager. I think that it is a plea for help and I wish I could advise you. But, I won't since I am not any sort of medical/mental doctor or therapist. I just want you to know that I suffer from manic-depression and I hate it! I have episodes of depression that are so bad at times that I, too, think about committing suicide. :bawling: So, I can definitely relate to where you are coming from. I had to get the right combination of meds worked out as well as continue to participate in therapy sessions with my P-doc. There were so many times that I wanted to just throw in the towel! But, I didn't and I think the main reason why I did not do so was because of my kids. I have three. They are very supportive and always there for me. Believe me, it means alot to me and it also is great that my family members and friends are there for me as well. I wish I could help you but, alas, I cannot so I will just let you know that if you ever need to talk please don't hesitate to PM me or email me. Please also know that I am chanting for you as well as praying for you. Take care!

Adiana:usflag: :wavey:
  • edited November 2005
    thank you all for responding to my posts you guys are like a second family to me. Oh yeah and Its nice to see you again Adiana you havent been on the forums for a while.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    NirvanaNoob,

Perhaps the words of Ajahn Brahmavamso can give you some better advice than I. The following is a link to an MP3 file:

Tearing The Hinges Off The Door To Your Heart

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    unfortunately, for me, the link refuses to download on Internet explorer, and only partially so on Modzilla Firefox - sound but no pic's (?) then sound cut out too.....

Any hints?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Fede,

I use Windows Media Player or I-Tunes.

:)

Jason
  • edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    unfortunately, for me, the link refuses to download on Internet explorer, and only partially so on Modzilla Firefox - sound but no pic's (?) then sound cut out too.....

Any hints?

Was this problem resolved?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    I was just heading for bed when I posted before....
    now I've recently got up..... so I'll see what I can do 'n' get back to you..... :)
  • edited November 2005
    One thing I'd suggest, if you haven't already tried it, and assuming you're on a PC, is to reinstall Windows Media Player. This link might be of use:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

It may also be worthwhile checking your IE and firewall settings.
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Haha..cool this thread has become a new topic..

Anyway,maybe its your firewall or antivirus system preventing download of this file.Like how msn prevent sending of files with.exe format.

Good Luck!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Fede,

I have noticed, in some instances, that things don't operate exactly like they should because certain websites write their code for Internet Explorer - and it doesn't operate correctly in FireFox.

I use FireFox 98% of the time - but in some instances (like for work sites and some places where popups are called or things get downloaded) they don't work right in FireFox.

Try it in Intercrap Explorer and see if it works.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    To return to the topic at hand, please know, Noob, that you are not alone. There was a point in my life when everything looked so bleak that any normal person would have blown their brains out. Fortunately I had heard enough of the Dharma to know that doing that would only make things worse - much, much worse. So I determined never to give up no matter how bad things got - and they did get worse. But having made that decision gave me the strength to see my way through my time in hell and come out on the other side far better off than before. Now I look on those difficult times as being like a precious jewel in that they gave me the push I needed to escape from an ordinary life and start living a life dedicated to the welfare of all sentient beings. So it may look bleak now, but hang in there. If you fall down a million times, pick yourself up off the floor a million and one times. You won't regret your decision!

As we used to say back in the dim ages, Peace!

Palzang
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2005
    A professor recently put forth this scenario in a lecture. Imagine you are having a conversation with someone. In mid-sentence, the person interrupts you and excuses themself.

A normal person would say "Wow, that was pretty rude of them," and move on. A depressed person might say "Wow, why did I try to talk to them? I should have known better," and turns the negativity of the experience on themselves instead of where it belongs.

I know from experience that there is a powerful and simple truth in that. The way you have a better experience is often to change how you think about what's happening to you. Easier said than done, of course.

Take care, NirvanaNoob.
  • edited December 2005
    Going back to Noob's original post about suicide. I was once told by a WBO member at my FWBO centre, that you can think of the chances being reborn as a human like this:

Imagine a hoop, abou 1m in diameter, in the middle of the ocean, floating on the surface, somewhere, anywhere in the waters of this planet. Now imagine a baby turtle. Swimming in the ocean. It could be anywhere in the entire ocean. This turtle pokes it's head out of the water to look around. The place where the turtle poked it's head out was in the middle of that ring I mentioned earlier.

The chances of that happening, I was told, are the same chances of being reborn as a human.

Now think, can only humans attain Nirvana? I'm assuming yes. A dog (I presume) cannot understand Buddha's teachings - I cannot be sure, because I am not a dog, but for the sake of my point, let's say only humans can attain Nirvana.

If you commit suicide. You're throwing away what might be your only chance of attaining Nirvana. Going back to the turtle story, it is almost impossible that I am here typing this, and you are reading it. We are so lucky to be here. Why throw it away? Commit suicide, and not onlt are you abandoning Nirvana, giving up on that quest for enlightenment, you're giving up on yourself.

I hope that made sense and I didn't offend anyone in the process.
    edited December 2005
    .... Are you sure you're only a kid....?!? because the phrase 'old head on young shoulders' springs to mind.....! :wow:
  • edited December 2005
    Like I said, an WBO member said that at my local FWBO centre, his name is Lokumdhara. When he said it, though, he was explaining the concept of rebirth, I just told it in a way it would mean something to those feeling suicidal.

Anyway, I shall take that as a compliment! Thanks!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Well, we all learn from our teachers, Sangha. The fact that you not only learned the words but the meaning behind them and then adapted them to a different subject is what Fed is remarking on. I also think it's great! It's obvious you're paying attention, which is the first and most important quality in a student, imho.

Palzang
  • edited December 2005
    Well, we all learn from our teachers, Sangha.
    The teacher's not doing a very good job if you're not!

Well, if only I paid as much attention in maths! My RE, English and sometimes Science (I have two science teachers, one is good, the other not so much) teachers have me hanging. But maths, no! But none of them are any match for this guy at the Centre. He's just one of them people you have to listen to - and respect.

And of course, if you enjoy learning, you will convert what you've learnt into other meanings. I hope I have forwarded the teaching to NirvanaNoob, I don't know as he is yet to reply...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    They speak English over there?! HUH! Learn something every day...

(Sorry, we had a weekend retreat at the temple and I'm a little giddy today!)

;)

Palzang
  • edited December 2005
    They speak English over there?! HUH! Learn something every day...
    Over where? England? Yes, they do. I thought that was kind of implied
    England English
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Sangha wrote:
    Over where? England? Yes, they do. I thought that was kind of implied
    England English

Oooooh! And he's cheeky.

I like that.

I like that a lot.

You just got ZINGED, Palzang.

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    I wouldn't say cheeky, just... yeah, I suppose cheeky is the word! But cheeky in a good way!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    So then I suppose that now you're going to tell me that English muffins are made in England! (He He, trick question, let's see if the cheeky one gets this one right!)

And what about Englebert Humperdinck?

What about Englebert Humperdinck? OY!!!!! Sometimes my mind goes where even I fear to tread!

Sorry for the limey, er, British jokes. It's been a long week. Feel free to make any American jokes you care to now...

Palzang
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I've been feeling much the same as Noob recently. School is getting so stressful, that I'm constantly tense. I've snapped at countless people in the past few weeks, and I feel terrible :sadc: My mom really isn't helping, either. I'm horrible at Chemistry, which is a hard class in the first place, but she's not at all sympathetic. In fact, she's been snipping at me all day about how I'm not on the honor roll. Ugh. At first I was really angry, but I managed to contain it, barely - I was literally shaking :/
    I figure, if I manage to survive this year, I'll be invincible :banghead:
  • edited December 2005
    So then I suppose that now you're going to tell me that English muffins are made in England!
    No, silly, they're FROM england, duh!
  • edited December 2005
    Sabine wrote:
    I've been feeling much the same as Noob recently. School is getting so stressful, that I'm constantly tense. I've snapped at countless people in the past few weeks, and I feel terrible :sadc: My mom really isn't helping, either. I'm horrible at Chemistry, which is a hard class in the first place, but she's not at all sympathetic. In fact, she's been snipping at me all day about how I'm not on the honor roll. Ugh. At first I was really angry, but I managed to contain it, barely - I was literally shaking :/
    I figure, if I manage to survive this year, I'll be invincible :banghead:

On the fourth day of a sesshin at the San Francisco Zen Center when the participants were having these usual problems, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi came into the zendo and said, "The problems you are now experiencing will continue for the rest of your life."