Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Boddhisatvas postpone their own attainment of Nirvana?

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited January 2011 in Philosophy
why? if yes, shouldn't Boddhisatvas be focused on attaining Nirvāna and then teaching?

my opinion is that it doesn't make sense to postpone Nirvāna.

First, awakening. Then, teaching the Dharma as a Bodhisattva.*

*which includes remembering past lifes to better undersand and teach the Dharma

Comments

• Can you point me in the direction in which you believe persons are capable of remembering past lives? I have always considered, and heard, this is not true. The logical conclusion one can draw from this is an ego exists within an individual, which Buddhism explicitly denies.
  • Pali Tripitaka / Sutra Pitaka / Samañaphala Sutra

from :: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html

§ Recollection of Past Lives (verbatim quote)

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to knowledge of the recollection of past lives (lit: previous homes). He recollects his manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction and expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he recollects his manifold past lives in their modes and details. Just as if a man were to go from his home village to another village, and then from that village to yet another village, and then from that village back to his home village. The thought would occur to him, 'I went from my home village to that village over there. There I stood in such a way, sat in such a way, talked in such a way, and remained silent in such a way. From that village I went to that village over there, and there I stood in such a way, sat in such a way, talked in such a way, and remained silent in such a way. From that village I came back home.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to knowledge of the recollection of past lives. He recollects his manifold past lives... in their modes and details.

"This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.
  • Interesting. It will be interesting to see how this viewpoint holds up in modern science in the coming years.
  • edited January 2011
    Some children remember their past lives (though after age 6 they forget), even in the West. But few Western parents take seriously what their children say in this regard.
  • Interesting. It will be interesting to see how this viewpoint holds up in modern science in the coming years.
    actually... the Dharma has "a thing or two" to teach western science.

"many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion"

sounds like a better way of describing "big bang, big crunch"... in fact, the western science explanation seems childish in comparison. and this sutra has 2550+ years!
  • Some children remember their past lives (though after age 6 they forget), even in the West. But few parents take seriously what their children say in this regard.
    I'm glad to have developed this... even if few believe me, I can remember past lives.

• I'm glad to have developed this... even if few believe me, I can remember past lives.
    I have no problem with that. :)
  • Funny that you pigeonhole science as "western". Never did I say that science will prevail over Buddhist thought, just that it would be interesting. Personally, I do not believe in rebirth. I do not think this hinders my Buddhist path, however.
  • And on to the original topic, no. Boddhisatvas do not postpone their own attainment of Nirvana by teaching.
  • edited January 2011
    deleted
    as if modern science knows anything :rolleyes: ..only believe what they can prove.... the dhamma and its fruits can be known only to oneself...the one who practices it.
  • why? if yes, shouldn't Boddhisatvas be focused on attaining Nirvāna and then teaching?

A boddhisatva is a buddha in training..... one going through the long round of rebirths whilst perfecting himself....in order to eventually become a buddha. Not yet enlightened.....but once become a buddha then he can teach.
  • edited January 2011
    Why would anyone try to postpone their enlightenment, even if they could? we don't go to another place or die if we are enlightened !

Why speculate about rebirth or if one was Cleopatra in a past life or a potato in the next life ? Focus on the here and now in this life, which is the only one that's important.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    "many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion"

Interesting? What are you quoting!
  • bodhisattva tries to help beings. The best way to do this is to become enlightened. In the mahayana tradition the goal of buddhism is liberation from both nirvana and samsara. Nirvana is not clinging and samsara is clinging. So at enlightenment there is no sonic boom. You just stop clinging. And so every question is clear due to the pre-existing clarity of the mind in the absence of clinging.

You don't go anywhere to reach nirvana. It is wherever you are when you are not clinging. It can be on mount Meru or in Alaska or in Timbuktu however that is spelled.
  • bodhisattva tries to help beings. The best way to do this is to become enlightened. In the mahayana tradition the goal of buddhism is liberation from both nirvana and samsara.
    This is why Theravada has problems with Mahayana teachings......this is not what the Buddha taught.
    He taught to reach nirvana....freedom from rebirth and suffering.
    Enlightenment is not the goal.
    Enlightenment is achieved by Buddhas, but those who follow their teachings to gain Nirvana are not being enlightened to anywhere the same degree as a Buddha is.
    Reaching nirvana does not mean one becomes a Buddha.
    Becoming a Buddha is not the goal....but nirvana IS.
  • Why does mahayana believe that one who reached nirvana as an arahant and has achieved parinirvana cannot return in some form to teach. Not by being reborn, since they have escaped that, but taking on a form is possible to those in the gods realms so why not to one who has reached nirvana who is obviously superior.
  • For some Boddhisatvas is vow and conditions. Zen Master Patriarch Hui Neng informed his disciples one year before his departure. There were instances of practitioners postphone their departure due to specific reason.
  • I second what Jeffrey said: Nirvana is non-clinging, Samsara is clinging. Keep it simple.
  • "many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion"

Interesting? What are you quoting!
    Samañaphala Sutra § Recollection of Past Lives

if that is not a religion compatible with science, I don't know what is!
  • Why does mahayana believe that one who reached nirvana as an arahant and has achieved parinirvana cannot return in some form to teach. Not by being reborn, since they have escaped that, but taking on a form is possible to those in the gods realms so why not to one who has reached nirvana who is obviously superior.
    ...it should be possible to return.
  • edited January 2011
    Didn't read the comments, but....

bodhisattvas realize that nirvana is a concept and is not something to reach for. You can only experience it in the present moment. They do not view nirvana as something to attain, as many do. This is why the question is silly to many mahayana buddhists.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    why? if yes, shouldn't Boddhisatvas be focused on attaining Nirvāna and then teaching?

Most High Bodhisattvas have already attained Nivarna which according to the mahayana tradition is freedom from samsaric rebirth and death and its causes , But what they have not yet acheived is great enlightenment complete freedom from delusions imprints,most subtle imprints that still reside even in those liberated beings.

Bodhisattvas seek to remain in samsara to help all sentient beings even though techincally this is an unfulfilable wish as to truely help all sentient beings one has to acheive Great enlightenment of Buddhahood, So Bodhisattvas strive to attain enlightenment as quickly as they can for the benifit of others.

The funny thing is most Bodhisattvas whom appeared at the time of Buddha where already full enlightened some aeons ago but they appeared in the form of arya Bodhisattvas to demonstrate how to complete the Bodhisattvas path.

To Understand the Bodhisattvas wish one has to understand the various minds of Bodhichitta.

Bodhichitta can also be divided into king-like bodhichitta, shepherd-like bodhichitta, and boatman-like bodhichitta. A Bodhisattva who has king-like bodhichitta wishes to lead all living beings to Buddhahood in the way that a king serves his subjects—first by becoming powerful and wealthy himself, and then by using his resources to help his subjects. A Bodhisattva who has shepherd-like bodhichitta wishes to lead all living beings to Buddhahood in the way that a shepherd leads his sheep to safety. Just as shepherds first supply all the needs of their flock and attend to their own needs last of all, so some Bodhisattvas want to lead all living beings to Buddhahood first and then attain enlightenment for themselves last of all. They have this wish because they have the least concern for their own welfare and they cherish all others before themselves. This type of bodhichitta arises from practising exchanging self with others. It is said that this is the attitude Manjushri developed. A bodhisattva who has boatman-like bodhichitta wishes to bring all living beings to Buddhahood in the way that a boatman brings people to the opposite shore—by travelling along with them. This Bodhisattva has the wish for all living beings to attain enlightenment simultaneously with himself or herself. In reality, the second two types of bodhichitta are wishes that are impossible to fulfil because it is only possible to lead others to enlightenment once we have attained enlightenment ourself. Therefore, only king-like bodhichitta is actual bodhichitta. Je Tsongkhapa says that although the other Bodhisattvas wish for that which is impossible, their attitude is sublime and unmistaken. (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Joyful Path of Good Fortune: the Complete Buddhist Path to Enlightenment, p. 422, © 1990, 1995)

Hope this helps. :~)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Can you point me in the direction in which you believe persons are capable of remembering past lives? I have always considered, and heard, this is not true. The logical conclusion one can draw from this is an ego exists within an individual, which Buddhism explicitly denies.
    If the ego didn't exist within the individual, then individuals would not be offended by someone calling them an asshole, but they are. Most of the time. :)

• Can you point me in the direction in which you believe persons are capable of remembering past lives? I have always considered, and heard, this is not true. The logical conclusion one can draw from this is an ego exists within an individual, which Buddhism explicitly denies.
    If the ego didn't exist within the individual, then individuals would not be offended by someone calling them an asshole, but they are. Most of the time. :)

And the ego is just as necessary as the anti-ego. It's about finding what version of "ego" works for you, all the way up to not having one.
  • edited January 2011
    Can you point me in the direction in which you believe persons are capable of remembering past lives? I have always considered, and heard, this is not true. The logical conclusion one can draw from this is an ego exists within an individual, which Buddhism explicitly denies.
    Not an ego, but "mind" or consciousness, which carries the record of all past lives, along with the karmic record.

Buddhism doesn't deny the existence of the ego, exactly, as I understand. It says it's an illusion (devoid of inherent existence), but it's an illusion that needs to be cnquered. If Buddhism denied the existence of the ego, there wouldn't be so much teaching about how to overcome it or destroy it, or to "deconstruct" it, as Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche says. ("Your lama is the person you have hired to deconstruct your ego", he said in an interview with Enlightenment Now! mag.)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    When you stop clinging there is no question of being reborn because there is no solid self. Your idea of emanating from parinirvana is completely analogous to the mahayana idea. A bodhisattva eventually becomes a buddha when they have completed all 10 bhumis. Then birth and death are seen as an illusion. We don't stop being reborn because birth and death were always illusory. There was never anything that was born or died.

But the only thing that happened is the cessation of clinging resulting in the clarity of the mind to be free. In the mahayana the buddha pervades all space. The truth body radiates. When a practitioner stops clinging their mind merges with the truth body. A living buddha is an expression of the truth that emananates in the world because part of the nature of truth is compassion for beings who are deluded. That is why there is a buddha in the world.

Siddhartha was able to become a buddha because the truth body pervades space. The mind is clear luminous and unimpeded and eventually all obstacles are overcome.

But we are stuck for quite some time and it takes effort and patience. 8 fold and paramitas.
  • edited January 2011
    Its better to meditate and discover the truth of Buddha's words in the suttas for ourselves, rather than just repeat and have blind faith in what has been said in later writings or speculate about different attainments on the path.

...or believe the party line that we are powerless without the instruction of lamas.

:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    or to believe we are powerless without meditation and sutras and buddhas.

If your mind were not already clear luminous and unimpeded it would have no meaning to learn from the triple gem. The lama represents all 3. It would have no meaning because you would have no capability of recognition.
    Its better to meditate and discover the truth of Buddha's words in the suttas for ourselves, rather than just repeat and have blind faith in what has been said in later writings or speculate about different attainments on the path.

...or believe the party line that we are powerless without the instruction of lamas.

:)
    Lets remember all everyone has to go by is oral instruction no one had a pen and paper at the time of Buddha, The so called authenticity of texts come from oral presentation and we all know what can happen when mistakes are made.
    Wether Shrvakayana or Bodhisattvayana the main focus should not be upon dwelling with speculative and degrading remarks about ones authenticity but rather spent in practise to try and accomplish the aims present.

Our practise is not to abuse or degrade others practise is it ? :)

• Just pointing out some facts from my own personal experience, Cazzie dear.

Just pointing out some facts from my own personal experience, Cazzie dear.

It is unwise to perform actions without examining their wholesomeness, It is also unwise to merely repeat sutras in the hopes that knowledge will somehow free you all works should be studied and of course implemented I agree with you there dazzle.

Of course it is still unwise to use personal bias and abandonment of a vehcile for grounds to attack others who gain benifit from such works is it ;)
  • edited January 2011
    I'm not attacking anyone, bro' ;)

• Didn't read the comments, but....

bodhisattvas realize that nirvana is a concept and is not something to reach for. You can only experience it in the present moment. They do not view nirvana as something to attain, as many do. This is why the question is silly to many mahayana buddhists.
    On the nose.

It's an unskillful distinction to think bodhisattvas could take that final step to something that is neither a goal nor a conscious act, but decide not to. When a person acts unselfishly out of compassion, he or she is being a Buddha. No more or less.

There is no real distinction between Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. None. That teaching was a transition stage in the Mahayana realization that enlightenment as a selfish goal has to flower into a motivation to help others as part of the journey.

Didn't read the comments, but....

On the nose.

It's an unskillful distinction to think bodhisattvas could take that final step to something that is neither a goal nor a conscious act, but decide not to. When a person acts unselfishly out of compassion, he or she is being a Buddha. No more or less.

There is no real distinction between Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. None. That teaching was a transition stage in the Mahayana realization that enlightenment as a selfish goal has to flower into a motivation to help others as part of the journey.

Actually there is a rather large distinction made in Tantra between a Buddha and a Bodhisattva.

Buddhas having cleared away all imprints of delusion and thus have a completely clear mind perceiving all phenomena correctly an omniscient mind.

Bodhisattvas have not yet cleared these most subtle imprints from their mind so they are still obstructed for example when a Bodhisattva meditates upon
    emptiness during such a time their mind is single pointedly focused upon the object, when they arise from Emptiness however dualistic appearance once again sets in, where as to a Buddha they cognise the Two truths at the same time rather then a Bodhisattva where they can only cognise one truth at a time.

• edited January 2011
    OK, here's a good question. I've read many comments over the months here, that one needs a teacher; studying on one's own isn't enough. I don't know how to interpret that. Is that a view that predominates just in certain traditions, but not in others? Is it across the board (I gather it isn't, by Dazzle's comment). Does it apply mainly to meditation, in which presumably one does need guidance re: technique, at least from time to time?

• I'd say that it is much, much easier to learn the physical side of the practice such as meditation, just like you can teach yourself any sport, but an instructor can make a huge difference.

And, there is something to be said for a teacher providing motivation and encouragement. Even when we're bored, frustrated, or just want to kick back for the night instead of meditate, showing up at the Teacher's place becomes an obligation so we grit our teeth and do it. And, some schools of Buddhism have intense and complicated methods of practice.

Having said that, the Zen school has story upon story of how people basically took the teachings, went off and meditated on them, and found their own, sometimes unique insight. So I'd say, no a personal Teacher isn't necessary. Necessary for what? You're the one who has to put the effort and come to the understanding.
  • Didn't read the comments, but....

nirvana is an attainment... an understanding of anatta is required (at that point in the path); but it is still an attainment.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Vincenzi, Nirvana is as much an attainment as a tree becoming a chair. There is no self-essence to attain anything, there is only change (changing conditions and arrangements), and the realization of Nirvana has no owner.
  • @Cloud

i prefer the concept change... nirvana is a change.

do you consider (yourself) at least a srotapanna?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I don't consider myself anything, but I'll agree with you that change is the way to look at things. Change is the key to everything in Buddhism and life.
  • @Cloud

well, for whatever it is worth (or not)... i consider that you have broken at least "identity view" (one of the ten fetters).
  • @Cloud

i consider that you have broken at least "identity view" (one of the ten fetters).

seconded

• Nope. They become bodhisattvas to become buddhas rather than arhants.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Pali Tripitaka / Sutra Pitaka / Samañaphala Sutra

from :: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html

§ Recollection of Past Lives (verbatim quote)

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to knowledge of the recollection of past lives (lit: previous homes). He recollects his manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction and expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he recollects his manifold past lives in their modes and details. Just as if a man were to go from his home village to another village, and then from that village to yet another village, and then from that village back to his home village. The thought would occur to him, 'I went from my home village to that village over there. There I stood in such a way, sat in such a way, talked in such a way, and remained silent in such a way. From that village I went to that village over there, and there I stood in such a way, sat in such a way, talked in such a way, and remained silent in such a way. From that village I came back home.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to knowledge of the recollection of past lives. He recollects his manifold past lives... in their modes and details.

"This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.
    this has been discussed so many times

1. the Pali does not use the word "lives". the word is "homes", "abodes", "dwellings", "abidings"

2. the word "birth" is "jati" or ego birth/self identity/social identity

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jāti

3. correctly, even the reincarnation lover Achariya Budddhaghosa, wrote in his Vissudhimagga that the meaning of 'birth' here is 'becoming'. 'Becoming' is a mental formation. For example, I was just reading something I learned in highschool and the fond thought arose of the relevent teacher. That is "becoming", when my mind, at 16 years old, became an liker of that teacher

4. the word 'kapa' in Pali does not mean 'aeons' exclusively. it can mean just a 'life cycle' or 'stretch of time', such as is used in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta, when the Buddha at 80 years old said he had the power to live for a 'kapa'

5. no psychic power (Divine Eye) was required here. this recollection of past abodes simply occurred in the memory banks

6. if we read http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.079.than.html, we find the Buddha correlated "past abodes" with 'self-identification"

in short, you are interpreting this according to what you imagine the meaning to be

regards :)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011

hi V

it seems you are mixing up Mahayana & Theravada

• why? if yes, shouldn't Boddhisatvas be focused on attaining Nirvāna and then teaching?

hi V

it seems you are mixing up Mahayana & Theravada

as any Bodhisattva worth its salt will do...

actually, the term i use is Bodhigami ("awakening that returns")
  • Is the Japanese word origami related to these terms? returning form or something?
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    @Jeffrey

as far as i know, it is not (it is all sanskrit/pali).
    in japanese, gami is a soft version of kami. like in "shinigami" (deva of death).

anata in japanese is "you", specially when said to a husband or wife // AFAIK