Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kill the buddha

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Master Linji, thich nhat hanh, they're right. If you see the buddha, kill the buddha. He is holding you back.

Comments

• I've heard that from Thich nhat hanh, but could you explain it, Journey?
  • Kill Master Linji, kill Thich Nhat Hanh.
    Kill them all.

Be your own master.
    :)
  • I've heard that from Thich nhat hanh, but could you explain it, Journey?
    If you are seeing the buddha, that means that you truly understand the buddha. But the real understanding is no thing, no understanding, so if you're seeing the buddha then he is holding you in his truth, when the truth is no thing, so therefore he is holding you back from the truth. It's clinging. People just don't understand what clinging really is. If you want to be the buddha, then you are clinging to buddha, and you will not see the truth. So if you see the buddha, and you understand the buddha, kill him, because he is not the truth, because noone and no thing is.
  • Don't literally kill anyone of course. We don't need a sniper incident at plum village. gah :rolleyes:
  • I saw a tv episode of Fringe where they shortly discussed the book "If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!". Found it suitable mentioning this in this thread.

Anybody read this book? According to the actors in Fringe it's about seeking the answers to questions in yourself, not from the mouth of others.
  • All that exists is perception, so how can you say anyone knows more than you, when noone knows anything ultimately with 100% certainty no doubt. We just perceive what appears true.
  • edited February 2011
    Great thread, great interpretation.
    (and no actual killing please)
  • We shouldnt get confused, for to see your own mind in its purest sense is to see the Buddha. Therefore to kill the Buddha is to kill yourself. Anyone feel like committing suicide?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2011
    All right, let's talk about the most famous koan in the West, besides the "MU" one. This koan is probably the most misused of any. People love the fact that followers of Buddha talk about killing their own founder. Can you imagine a Christian saying they have to kill Christ to be a good Christian?

First, let's quote the actual koan. Lin Chi says "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." It's not one that's hard to penetrate. The road is a metaphor for the path to enlightenment. Now, for the paradox that makes it a koan. Buddhists cannot kill people, except perhaps in self defense to keep others from being killed. Yet a great Master has said it is your duty to kill someone. So what gives?

It's a koan, which means the paradox must be penetrated. Let's be clear. The koan does NOT mean you should reject authority and rules! That is only chewing on the koan. That answer will get you sent back to the zafu and told to try harder. Nor does it mean that your concept of what it means to be enlightened is false. Why kill it, then? Why not just see it for the false Buddha it is, and walk past it to continue your journey? The koan says you must kill the Buddha on the path, not ignore it.

To understand the koan, you have to understand what or who the "Buddha on the road" is referring to, that's all. You want a hint? In order to meet the Buddha on the road, you must be on the road. Now, who is the "Buddha on the road" that the koan is referring to? And, why then is it your duty to kill this person?

That's what the koan is about. If you don't penetrate the koan, you aren't understanding what it's trying to point out.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Cinorjer, You can't aim directly for enlightenment, so having a preconceived notion will be a hindrance, likely making it impossible to truly awaken. Kill/destroy such notions. At least that's my guess. I'm not of the Zen tradition (or any).

The path is meant to guide the mind toward enlightenment indirectly. If the mind gets a true taste of Nirvana it may catch on and direct itself, but not before. I'd also quote what I said in the "Pain and suffering!" thread recently (bolding the relevant parts):
    Buddha was just a title meaning "Awakened One". Siddhartha Gautama was a human that awakened and came to be associated with that title (but not in truth a "being", "human" is conceptual also). There's no such thing as a "Buddha" outside of conceptual, dualistic language.

It's our history to remember there was a human called the Buddha, born Siddhartha Gautama and who referred to himself as Tathagata, but what I said above is why we fail when we look for a Buddha outside of ourselves... there's no such thing. The only awakening comes to the mind, from within. There's no Buddha "out there" to find, there's only the true nature of all phenomena that was discovered (likely "again") over 2,500 years ago.

:om:
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @cloud Yes, the "Buddha on the road" is referring to yourself. What else can there be on the road to enlightenment but your own mind? So to "meet the Buddha on the road" is just Zen shorthand for saying to see yourself as your truly are. It is answering the question, "What am I?"

Having penetrated this question, having met the "Buddha on the road", then what?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Cinorjer, Kill the Buddha. Destroy the self delusion. "Self" is only thought. There are wrong thoughts and there are right thoughts. Right thoughts do not include such separation, and so after the destruction of self-view one works on cultivating Right View, which allows the mind to more fully penetrate the Four Noble Truths until final release of all fetters that are based on ignorance.

Ah okay so my answer to the koan wasn't exactly what is expected. I didn't read the koan the same way you explain it. :D
  • You have a very sharp mind.
    @Cinorjer, Kill the Buddha. Destroy the self delusion. "Self" is only thought. There are wrong thoughts and there are right thoughts. Right thoughts do not include such separation, and so after the destruction of self-view one works on cultivating Right View, which allows the mind to more fully penetrate the Four Noble Truths until final release of all fetters that are based on ignorance.

Ah okay so my answer to the koan wasn't exactly what is expected. I didn't read the koan the same way you explain it. :D
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Cinorjer, I used to be smart, now I'm just "blah". I appreciate that you think so, though. Maybe I just have good common sense... :) Wait, no, I'm sure my mother yelled at me a lot for not having good common sense. Nevermind.
  • Aaah, I solved the problem with my extra-ordinary rationality and got a compliment for it. GO ME! :clap:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Congrats @being ! I thought it was pretty confusing, but that's Zen for ya. My answer wasn't even the right one, since the question didn't mean what I thought it did. :D
  • We Zen freaks are tricky that way. Even knowing what the koan is pointing to won't help you, when you sit before a Master and he asks you what your answer is. If you point to yourself but are only doing what the other students say you're supposed to do, he'll know and send you back to the cushion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I like koans, and wouldn't mind them as part of a practice, except I don't over-value traditions... like in Zen having to use "Zen-speke" to answer koans. :) I'm sure it has its appeal, and it is traditional, but not necessarily necessary (to me anyway). Actually wish I had a teacher that could give me koans like in Zen, one after another to work with so I'd have something definite to be thinking about to go beyond wherever it is that I'm at.
  • edited February 2011
    Uhhhhh..., "kill" huh? Does it have to be "kill?" Maybe something was lost in the translation of Master Linji, or Thich Nhat Hanh. I hope so..., or not. :)

OTOH, "murder" has a nice ring to it. :D

Here's a list of options. I like the last ones in the list below. :nyah:

murder, take/end the life of, assassinate, eliminate, terminate, dispatch, finish off, put to death, execute; slaughter, butcher, massacre, wipe out, annihilate, exterminate, mow down, shoot down, cut down, cut to pieces; informal bump off, polish off, do away with, do in, knock off, take out, croak, stiff, blow away, liquidate, dispose of, ice, snuff, rub out, waste, whack, smoke; euphemistic neutralize; literary slay. destroy, put an end to, end, extinguish, dash, quash, ruin, wreck, shatter, smash, crush, scotch, thwart; informal put the kibosh on, stymie, scuttle, occupy, pass, spend, waste exhaust, wear out, tire out, overtax, overtire, fatigue, weary, sap, drain, enervate, knock out. hurt, cause pain to, torture, torment, cause discomfort to; be painful, be sore, be uncomfortable.alleviate, assuage, soothe, allay, dull, blunt, deaden, stifle, suppress, subdue. veto, defeat, vote down, rule against, reject, throw out, overrule, overturn, put a stop to, quash, squash. turn off, switch off.
  • edited February 2011
    The point is don't let him be real. Don't let him be the truth. If you let him be the truth, then he is holding you back. He is better off dead. Of course I'm not literally suggesting murder. But if you see the buddha, it is better that he does not exist.
  • It's metaphorical. It's not talking about "seeing" the Buddha either in your head or in front of you, or believing he existed, or anything like that.
  • It's all perception. The buddha is only a perception. So if you see the buddha, if you percieve buddha, then you are caught in perception and you are being held from the truth. Don't let anyone or anything hold you back.
  • That's not what the saying means though. :) It's an actual Zen thing, @Cinorjer explained it earlier in this thread (he knows Zen). Not even sure what you're talking about, "seeing" and "perceiving" the Buddha.
  • The buddha isn't a person. It is a concept. Existence is also a concept. If buddha is your existence, then you are "seeing" the buddha. Because the buddha's not a man. But the buddha is not the ultimate truth, cuz he is a concept. So you should not get caught in seeing them. To do so would be holding yourself back.
  • The Buddha is a title, and is used interchangeably as a name. :D
  • Ok. I don't know why you're always trying to question me. I don't do that to you. Just let me talk, if you like what I have to say then great. I don't like always having to justify myself.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    You're talking, but not making sense, hence why I keep replying. What do you mean by seeing and perceiving the Buddha? Please explain it so that not only I can understand, but others as well, since you're talking about something other than the traditional meaning.

I don't mean to be mean or anything, but without feedback you wouldn't know if you're not making sense to people (you'd naturally make sense to yourself). This is feedback.
  • If you don't think I make sense than whatever. I know I make sense, to me. Your perception is different than mine. The point isn't to perceive everything the same way. Your way of seeing it is just as legitimate as my way which is just as legitimate as the buddha's way. Seeing the buddha is the buddha's way. The true way, though, is above all individual ways.
  • Holy crap. Alright nevermind, I'll never talk to you again if you don't want to explain something when I ask.
  • edited February 2011
    Lol I can only do my best. I can't make you see it. There is no end to the reasoning. Just know that. What you do is up to you.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I am glad Cinorjer explained the koan so well, and that this whole sinister story has a happy ending after all.
    The Buddha is alive and well, the Four Noble Truths stand unquestioned and Cloud is enthusiastic about koan-practice.:clap:

Roger you must be a sick person! :pirate:

I just wonder why Lin Chi says "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him” - if what he actually means is ”Destroy the self delusion”.
    And quit honestly I am a bit upset about my teacher keeping me sitting in meditation for ages, just because Lin Chi is using some sort of code and no one bothers to tell me what it is.
    Until now.
    Thank you Cinorjer.
    ;)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    It means that if you think you have attained enlightenment, you need to kill yourself. :)
  • Take the skinheads bowling, take them bowling...
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    It means that if you think you have attained enlightenment, you need to kill yourself. :)
    That still makes the koan a stupid riddle.

If you’re right, why doesn’t this crazy Chinaman simply tell people that the idea of “ having attained enlightenment” is a hindrance?
    I can understand that without meditating at all.

I’m not convinced we solved this koan. :scratch:
  • Because it's not convincing enough. If it's simply a hindrance then it's just another thought. If we put it that way, in such dramatic fashion, kill the buddha, it wakes us up.
  • Because it's not convincing enough. If it's simply a hindrance then it's just another thought. If we put it that way, in such dramatic fashion, kill the buddha, it wakes us up.
    You’re probably right.
    And maybe I’m not good at koans because I think they're deep.
    :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I was given to understand that even The Buddha is an obstacle to Enlightenment. if you get rid of this ultimate deference, nothing can stand between you and where he is....

But that's just something that came my way.....
  • True depth is simple
  • Authority is always an obstacle. To you guys, the buddha is the ultimate authority. Therefore he is your greatest obstacle.
  • The whole thing is a vehicle, a tool.
    We have the simile of the father outside the burning house, promising toys to the children inside.
    The Buddha – the idea of Buddha – is a stepping stone; his teaching is a finger pointing to the moon; and a raft is something we don’t carry around on our shoulders.

There are plenty of “kill the Buddha’s” in Buddhism.

• Really you should kill everyone. We just say the buddha because that's who you think is the ultimate holder of truth. God is a theist's greatest obstacle.
  • Well, Zen strives to bring you to intuitive understanding instead of intellectual knowledge. If your mind doesn't comprehend that you are the Buddha all those sutras are talking about, then "self-delusion" is just another abstract word. Your mind is still filled with assumptions about you being a separate, unique individual trying to achieve something that this Buddha out there managed to do. So the koan cannot be penetrated. The "Aha!" moment is Zen.

But koans are also a distinctively Eastern way of teaching, and while fascinating, might be too bound up in their culture to really be useful in Western Buddhism. By this, I mean Chinese language is full of words that have multiple meanings, far exceeding Western languages. So koans are full of metaphors and have multiple layers, instead of just giving it to you straight. Also, they were written by Chinese and Japanese monks that assume you are familiar with Buddhist temples, typical Zen teachings, how Masters and students interact, etc.

• edited February 2011
    Exactly. You are the buddha! That's the whole point. The buddha can't tell you nothin unless you want him to/let him, cuz you're him.

• But koans are also a distinctively Eastern way of teaching, and while fascinating, might be too bound up in their culture to really be useful in Western Buddhism.
    I think I agree.

For me koan practice was more like an endless lesson in accepting failure.
    A useful lesson in life, no doubt, and – if my teachers are as brilliant as they’re supposed to be – it was a lesson I needed.

Now I’m okay without any koan AND without any of the answers.

:o
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Yah as to see why I prefer a more straight forwards answer from people :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2011
    That still makes the koan a stupid riddle.

If you’re right, why doesn’t this crazy Chinaman simply tell people that the idea of “ having attained enlightenment” is a hindrance?
    I can understand that without meditating at all.

I’m not convinced we solved this koan. :scratch:
    Because the words don't express what it really means. No words can express what your "true self" actually is. All koans are riddles, but they are not stupid. They do point to a very deep thing, your "true self", so to speak or Buddha or truth or whatever you want to call it. They appear to be stupid on the surface. I used to think that too. I even used to tell that to the Zen Master to his face and ask him "When are you going to stop asking so many stupid questions! Shut up already!". He would just smile and laugh, ha. The questions themselves one could argue are quite stupid. However, the answer is what is important because the answer points to something that is inexpressible with words. How do you express something in a "straight answer" that is inexpressible with words? You can't, it's not possible. The act of doing koan practice is a type of meditation that makes your mind go into a state of silence, beyond words. The true purpose of koan practice is to stop you from thinking so much and to see what is beyond words, AKA the real truth as it actually is, untainted by language, ideas and concepts.