Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Scientific Evidence for Survival. Of consciousness after death.

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in Philosophy
Dr. Ken Ring published a paper in the Journal of Near-Death Studies (Summer, 1993) concerning near-death experiencers who, while out of their bodies, witness real events that occur far away from their dead body. The important aspect to this phenomenon is that these events seen far away are later verified to be true. Experiencers not only witness events from great distances, but they have been documented to hear conversations between people at the same events. Conversations such as these have also verified to be true. An even more fascinating phenomenon occurs when the experiencer actually appears in spirit to someone, usually a loved one, during their NDE and it is verified to be true by the experiencer and the loved one. It is evidence such as this, if scientifically controlled, that can provide absolute scientific proof that consciousness can exist outside of the body. A scientifically controlled NDE that can be repeated which provides such evidence would be the scientific discovery of all time. However, science does not yet have the exact tools to accomplish this. But, science is coming very, very close. This kind of evidence and others provide very strong circumstantial evidence for the survival of consciousness.

http://www.near-death.com/evidence.html

Comments

• Its worth noting that Dr Ring is a psychologist and not a Doctor of medicine or a scientist.

Sorry Leon, but personally I don't see what speculating about any of that has to do with the importance of paying attention to my practice in the here and now.

• Not to get off topic, Im pretty sure having a doctrate in Psychology makes you a sceintist and a Doctor. Not in a conventional sense. But practicing Psychologist can proscribe meds, and ALOT of research in the workings of the human consiousness and the way we work mentally comes from Research Psychology.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Not to get off topic, Im pretty sure having a doctrate in Psychology makes you a sceintist and a Doctor. Not in a conventional sense. But practicing Psychologist can proscribe meds, and ALOT of research in the workings of the human consiousness and the way we work mentally comes from Research Psychology.
    Yes, it technically gives them the title of doctor, but he isn't a "doctor" in the sense of how we think of doctors.
  • Oh no, the be-here-now practice police! :p

He doesn't have to be an MD to be qualified to do a study like this. So much the better that he's a psychologist--he can certify the test subjects aren't loony tunes.

Besides, we already know consiousness can exist outside the body. Physicists tell us consciousness is a field that pervades the universe, and that consciousness is no-local. My theory is (pardon me while I blatantly speculate) that at death, the individual consciousness begins to fade back into the universal consiousness field. Communication, awareness of distant events, and astral travel would be automatic and instantaneous at that point.

Leon, this is great, but maybe next time put it in "General Banter", where the speculative and only tangentially-Buddhist topics go, so as to avoid flack. Keep these scientific studies coming, though. :thumbsup: IIRC, the Dalai Lama, among others, encourages scientific studies that confirm the validity of Buddhist practices and beliefs. This study has a bearing on teachings about the "very subtle mind" that survives death.
  • edited November 2011
    Hi folks

Being aware outside the body (OBE) is one thing and being aware near to death (NDE) another, and being aware 'after' death yet another.

Any of this is not scientific (reproducable) but only speculation unless directly understood.

Cheers

:)
  • edited November 2011

Any of this is not scientific (reproducable) but only speculation
    Have you actually read the material Leon posted? This is a valuable and very thorough complilation of international scientific studies on the subject. I'm familiar with a number of the authors cited, and their work. And one of the articles given says Raymond Moody's experiments on OBE's have been reproduced. What is curious to me is how many people are in denial of scientific advances on the subject of consciousness. I was surprised to learn that physicists have been saying this

Besides, we already know consiousness can exist outside the body. Physicists tell us consciousness is a field that pervades the universe, and that consciousness is no-local.
    since the 1930's, and there have been articles and science videos posted about this several times on our forum, and yet some members have yet to incorporate this information into their world view. I think this speaks to the need for public education on cutting-edge science. We should all have a basic understanding of the nature of our world and our universe, including electromagnetic fields and what is called the consciousness field.

I notice that one of the NDE studies was published in the British science journal, "The Lancet". That peer-reviewed publication doesn't accept articles that don't meet high scientific standards. This is big news, IMO.

Please, folks, if you don't approve of a topic, move on and leave it for the rest of us to enjoy. There is no rule on the forum against scientific articles nor against speculative topics.

• Western medicine can't even agree on a precise definition of death, much less whether consciousness continues after it happens.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Western medicine can't even agree on a precise definition of death, much less whether consciousness continues after it happens.
    haha! Western medicine can't agree on a lot of basic things, like how to define healthy cholesterol levels, for one. Theories on so many issues constantly change.

I think when it comes to consciousness after death, they don't need to agree. It's enough that there are open-minded MD's, scientists and other researchers out there studying this, and that the results of some of these studies are now getting published in reputable science journals. That's huge! Now, if someone would just study Kundalini in the lab, that would be another breakthrough.

I didn't know there was a Journal of Near Death Studies. That sounds interesting. Is that still around?

• http://www.iands.org/publications/journal-of-near-death-studies.html It's a peer-reviewed scientific journal, it says. And they're still publishing, twice/year.
  • Thanks for the link.
    Where did everybody go? We used to have a bunch of members who were interested in this subject.
  • Where did everybody go? We used to have a bunch of members who were interested in this subject.
    We have people who regard consciousness after death as a natural phenomenon that they have experienced and/or observed, just like any other aspect of the natural world. It isn't terribly impressive if science overcomes its inherited prejudices sufficiently to manage to publish a study of such natural phenomena.
    We also have people who have never experienced such things, but who regard them as Buddhist teaching on the natural world. To such people it likewise isn't a big excitement for science to begin to consider natural phenomena that Buddhism has been addressing for a couple of thousand years; it's very old news.
    We also have people here who have never experienced such things and who do not regard such things as within the realm of belief and possibility... would they bother to read a thread about a subject they consider to be beyond belief and possibility? Not likely.
  • Thanks for the link.
    Where did everybody go? We used to have a bunch of members who were interested in this subject.
    I was just starting to feel proud of myself for letting this thread be, and not getting into another fruitless discussion.

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    @aura - well said!

Many believe we see "evidence" all the time. The 3 yr old who can play a violin like a seasoned vertuoso. A 5 yr old who is composing concertos on the piano as if they've been doing it for a lifetime. The idiot savant who can't tie his own shoes, but can solve hugely complicated math problems. Etc.

Personally I see this transfer of consciousness as natural phenomenon that we can witness all the time. If we just look with an open mind.
  • I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Can anyone associate the primordial fear of death as the root cause of the pursuit of scientific evidence for "survival" of consciousness after death?

It occurs that over the relatively short era of human existence - if this transgenesis of consciousness is occurring with the reliability attributed it by the "open minded" - why aren't there any recollections of past lives as a dinosaur - a slug - a geranium - a demon - a hungry ghost? How is it that this pseudo scientific field of speculative belief can rely upon "evidence" that presupposes rebirth or reincarnation only occurs across the human species. What arrogance. And where is the research that brings understanding of dwelling in the emptiness of death beyond constant rebirth - for certainly if rebirth occurs - it ends at some point. This is fruitless banter (maybe that should be a new category for discussion on Newbuddhist) because ultimately sides are drawn up between the skeptics and the believers.

I would posit that not just a bunch of members are interested in this - but every single solitary one - because no matter how whole or fearless one professes to be in their practice - the primordial fear of death is ever present -especially when one is actually dying - and "near death" just doesn't compare.

• edited November 2011
    There is a category for speculative topics. It's called "General Banter". NDE's aren't about rebirth, they're about what happens after death. The fact that consciousness survives death doesn't imply there is rebirth. No NDE experiencers or researchers that I know of has spoken about rebirth. Nor is this about past life recollections. These issues are being conflated here. This is not what the OP is presenting.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    aura, you've always been so generous and inspiring in sharing your experiences on similar threads, I was hoping for more of the same. :) Some of our members who usually enjoy this type of topic have been away for the forum for some time, now that I think about it. Mr. Serenity is usually game. And the people who don't believe such things are possible are not those who would be expected to contribute. But threads on science and Buddhism have always been popular. The Dalai Lama is one of the biggest promoters of scientific confirmation of Buddhist beliefs. The confluence of Western and Easterm thought and science has been the subject of many international conferences.

Unfortunately, science still hasn't gotten over its prejudices in this regard, though. The research listed in the OP's catalogue is still considered to be fringe efforts. But there are some new names cropping up that weren't there 20 years ago, which is a good sign, and the fact that some of the work is being published in established science magazines is encouraging. It's possible that science will eventually end up opening to the possibility of various "paranormal" phenomena through the back door of quantum physics.

3-year old prodigies do look like possible evidence of rebirth, but those cases don't tell us anything about NDE's, specifically.

Belief in rebirth doesn't necessarily mean we will be reborn. It's not necessarily a comfort. This could be the last rebirth for any of us. There's always that possibility. oops--but this isn't a rebirth thread. My bad.
  • the primordial fear of death is ever present -especially when one is actually dying - and "near death" just doesn't compare.
    Your assertion that the "primordial fear of death" is especially present when one is actually dying, unfortunately identifies you as an individual who lacks familiarity with the process of dying. All palliative care nurses know to watch for the distinct natural phenomenon that is the lack of fear and strange peace that descends on an individual indicating that the relatives must be notified because there is not much time left.

• NDE's comfortably fall into the same category as Bigfoot, ufo's, alien abduction, astral projection, astrology, crystal healing, ancient astronauts, nature spirits, rebirth, reincarnation and Tarot - at least in the minds of skeptics who dismiss them as anything but factual.

Condescension and dismissiveness is to be expected in return for skepticism.

Fruitless Banter still sounds more appropriate.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Crystals magnify the body's electromagnetic field, that's why hands-on-healers use them. That's why they were used in watches before battery watches were invented. They used to advertise, "genuine Swiss crystal" on the better watches. Ask a Swiss or German watch repairman. They'll tell you all about it.

"At least in the mind of skeptics", is key here. Have you read any of the books or articles listed in the OP's link? There's some pretty impressive stuff there. The scientists who review articles for "Lancet" clearly don't agree that NDE's are in the same category as alien abduction and Bigfoot. We have members here who do astral projection. Pretty interesting. And Gui described his own NDE on another thread recently, and its after-effects. But to skeptics, this is all anectodal.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited November 2011
    The old man was a watch maker - the crystals are actually the cover for the face - jewels were used as hard surface, durable balance points - you still had to wind your watch - the mainspring supplied the power. Isn't there a saying about not knowing whether to shit or wind your watch? Off topic and irrelevant, I know.
    Skeptics have their place just as believers and respect for the sincerity of believers in their "very interesting" beliefs and practices is not misplaced by skepticism.
  • Skeptics have their place just as believers and respect for the sincerity of believers in their "very interesting" beliefs and practices is not misplaced by skepticism.
    I'll grant you this. And just because some may be interested in these things, and follow the research, doesn't necessarily mean they're believers. It can be like watching a ball game, or following a mystery investigation. Which side will win? What will the investigators find? If it's true, how would it work? The journey itself is interesting. Are Sagat's mysterious scratches-while-asleep due to his own scratching or are they, and the strange slamming sounds in the wee hours of the night, due to something other-worldly? The suspense is killing me, haha!

The guy with the photos of Bigfoot footprints and other film footage eventually admitted he'd faked it all, btw.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Thanks for the link.
    I have evolved and just watch old episodes of star treak for fun nowadays...

Is Dhatu around or has he rebirthed as someone else ...?

/Victor
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    DD was banned. Welcome back, Victorious. He may have rebirthed as someone else, we're not sure, but that person got banned, too.

Nice wisecrack, funny. But I know too many people who've had NDE's to be able to dismiss it entirely.
    Thanks Daikini. Just passing through...

That being said...

I did not really get the question from Leonbasin if there was one. So I guess this is not a discussion? But I would just like to point out that.

1. Psychology is a science. Therefore a Psychologist is a Scientist.
    2. Also the meaning of Doctor is a title to denote a certain standing in any scientific field not just that of medicine. Even if it is incorrectly used that way by many.

But I think that has been said already.

I have not read it all In any case a very good article.

I think I have had out of body experiences without being near death.
    But never tried verifying it by searching for "proof" though.

Schamans (no not me) do that kind of stuff on a more or less regular basis.

I think we put too much faith in science. Just becasue it is admitted by science a thing is true?

Guess what penecillin was used long before it was proved usefull by scientists. And so was acupunture.

In this case I agree with nibbuti. Personal experience is way better that scientific proof.

Cheers
    /Victor

• @Victorious Yes, we have members who have out-of-body experiences regularly, join the club (not me, though).

Leon likes to post articles and videos on scientific studies that validate Buddhist practices or the paranormal, just to see what happens. So there wasn't a question, just a provocative OP. hmm...he's studying psychology, maybe these OP's of his are some sort of psychological experiment on us all. lol--I'm kidding. :D Thanks for your input.

Some people still don't believe acupuncture is "scientific", although health insurance companies have finally decided it's "real" enough to cover. Long ago,hospitals, I read, used to set broken bones with the help of an electric probe. They didn't know why it worked, they just knew by observation that it did. But the AMA made them stop, because there was no scientific theory behind it. Now they know more about the body's electrical properties, but it's still dismissed. Some of the Native American tribes around where I live have professional bone-setters. Healers with an unusually high electrical charge, who specialize in setting broken bones.
  • Maybe we are like data? For example: You send a email to a friend from your computer (The Body). The email brakes up into data (1s and 0s) and enters your friends computer, then the data assemblies itself so you can read it. Computer is the Body and the email/data in transition is the consciousness. Or I dunno :p
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2011
    the primordial fear of death is ever present -especially when one is actually dying - and "near death" just doesn't compare.
    Your assertion that the "primordial fear of death" is especially present when one is actually dying, unfortunately identifies you as an individual who lacks familiarity with the process of dying. All palliative care nurses know to watch for the distinct natural phenomenon that is the lack of fear and strange peace that descends on an individual indicating that the relatives must be notified because there is not much time left.
    Yes, as a nurse and someone who has been with many individuals as they die, I am familiar with the phenomona you describe, aura. I also have seen individuals who, for want of a better way to describe it, seem to be hanging on to the consciousness and need to be told that it is ok to let go.
    I have had a NDE ( at about 15 years of age ) which involved me being terrified and it lead to me then experiencing the first of many panic attacks, I therefore also can relate to the fear that IronRabbit was referring to ... death in palliative care and NDE ( and also sudden deaths, when the individual has some awareness) are generally very different in my experience.
    My interpretation of my NDE, at the time and now many years later, was of intense free floating fear and being drawn somewhere I was not ready to go - it has not had a big impact on my practice.

• Palliative care for the dying provides drugs, medical supplies and equipment to manage the patient's pain, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual aspects of a dignified death. To suggest a patient has a characteristic lack of fear and strange peace naturally as death approaches ignores the administration of powerful opiates - which are prescribed and condoned - that are given to mask panic and unease - thankfully and mercifully. A primordial fear of death seems to some to be a great obscuration from a peaceful death - and, it seems, from a peaceful life. On the contrary, peace is as inevitable as fear in death. One flows into another and to suggest one has a naturally occurring strange peace at dying does not preclude a primordial fear of ending one's physical existence.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I had a look at this site (near-death.com) and one of the first things I see is,

Quote:
    Nancy Evans Bush, president emeritus of the International Association for Near-Death Studies, says the experience is revelatory. "Most near-death survivors say they don't think there is a God," she says. "They know."
    End of quote.

Experience is more important than narrow-minded scientific evidence. There’s a God after all.
    I rest my case.

(That was sarcastic. Sorry.)

But there’s a serious point to what I’m saying. When we believe so easily what we think we experienced and when we are uncritical about peoples’ accounts of what they think they experienced, the door is wide open.
    And it is open to all sorts of irrational beliefs; not just the Buddhist ones.

• @Dakini
    Quote:
    Unfortunately, science still hasn't gotten over its prejudices in this regard, though. The research listed in the OP's catalogue is still considered to be fringe efforts.
    Unquote.

There‘s a problem with the study of NDE.
    If you want to do it in the right controlled setting you would have to bring people into near-death state in your laboratory and do experiments with them.
    That would make it unethical.

Other paranormal claims have been studied. And if the results would be promising there would be a lot more of it. There would be great applications for psychic abilities.
    But so far it’s just not there.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Science is still very much stuck in the belief of "objectivity", and so has a long way to go to catch up with studying what is "subjective", which is what meditation does for example (though with a different purpose). Alan Wallace is one who is willing to do serious work in this field.

And I find @IronRabbit's assertions about "primordial fear of death" puzzling. Does everybody have it? Where's the proof?
    Just to clarify, I meant "ever-present primordial fear of death", which would imply that there can never be anyone totally free of death. Am I right? But I suppose the only "evidence" acceptable would be to watch someone's brain in real-time as they're dying and see if any of the neurons in the areas associated with fear fire up.
  • @sattvapaul

I found a serious review of CONTEMPLATIVE SCIENCE: WHERE BUDDHISM AND NEUROSCIENCE CONVERGE. By B. Alan Wallace

http://law.hamline.edu/files/Butler.Rev_.pdf

Quote:
    To further illustrate, Wallace solves the mind/matter problem by simply asserting that the ground state of consciousness attained through samatha is the source of all mind-based events. So, by sheer assertion, Wallace claims he has solved the mind/brain problem. It is doubtful that scientists will be amenable to Wallace’s esoteric, unverifiable Buddhist statements, because contemplative science is not a falsifiable or testable theory. Without invoking Wallace’s idea of a contemplative science, researchers can still shove monks into machines and allow magnets to skate across their fluctuating cognitive states. It seems doubtful that neuroscientists will be enlightened by Wallace’s claim to call profound meditative states primordial substrates of consciousness that transcend space and time. In this respect, as I mentioned previously, the subtitle is highly misleading: Neuroscience is hardly dealt with in the text. Wallace prefers to deal with metaphysical solutions rather than data sets.
    Unquote
    @zenff,

That's interesting and makes sense. I'll look into that, I've only read one book of his so far.

He has set up a centre in Thailand to study the psychological and neurological effects of prolonged shamatha practice. I believe the project is still in its infancy.
  • @Dakini I am very interested in parapsychology. I have read a good bit about it, yet for some reason I still lack real faith. It is something I wish I could understand but I don't really know how to go about. I want to believe there is more to life than matter. I even feel that the belief is plausible. Yet I continue to function mostly as an agnostic/atheist... I welcome comment on the matter.
  • edited November 2011
    Ps, do you guys know of any good parapsychological message boards where I could investigate my above stated conundrum? For that matter what field of thought would you consider that conundrum to fall primarily under? Thanks.
    @shays860,
    You can read more but ultimately I believe only through some sort of spiritual practice you might gain experiential insights that shed some light on this and what effects it has on your life. I myself am quite scientifically minded, so I would read stuff by bona-fide scientists
    who are open enough to investigate these things, such as Alan Wallace, Ian Stevenson or Rupert Sheldrake. I would definitely stay away from any New Age or amateur "paranormal phenomena investigators". I have a feeling this would be the predominant group if you hang out on forums, but who knows, maybe there is some serious forum about it somewhere.
  • @sattvapaul said: And I find @IronRabbit's assertions about "primordial fear of death" puzzling. Does everybody have it? Where's the proof?

Proof? Every living thing is hard wired to live and avoid death at all costs and in any way, including meditation.

It should not be too difficult to see then that the ever present primordial fear of death is the prime motivator to seek psychological and neural states through meditation (or any religious, shamanistic, metaphysical, etc. practice) that address this fear - to seek to prove that consciousness somehow continues after physical dissolution - to believe that one may experience memories of past lives and that they may live future yet unknown lives - to associate near death experience dreamlike memories of "living" - not being dead, despite clinically being described as such - with "survival".

Understand, this primordial fear is mentioned not as in Thanatophobia or Necrophobia - obsessions that may overtake one's life and require treatment. It is mentioned empathetically as a recognized shared trait of sentient beings - to identify a core element of existence to be aware of - to accept and cope with in whatever means necessary without judgement - but with awareness.

Outright denial of the ever present primordial fear of death is the epitome of delusion and naivete at worst - at best, just plain misconception.

"Usually we think that brave people have no fear. The truth is that they are intimate with fear. When I was first married, my husband said I was one of the bravest people he knew. When I asked him why, he said because I was a complete coward but went ahead and did things anyhow."
    Pema Chodron from "When things fall apart".

edited November 2011

Proof? Every living thing is hard wired to live and avoid death at all costs and in any way, including meditation.
    Meditation can certainly be used to address that fear, but you seem to be implying that it always is. And a person who chooses to sacrifice their life for another person, as an example, is hardly trying to "avoid death at all costs and in any way".

It should not be too difficult to see then that the ever present primordial fear of death

My primary objection is your assumption about this fear being ever-present and it's not possible to be free from it.

is the prime motivator to seek psychological and neural states through meditation (or any religious, shamanistic, metaphysical, etc. practice) that address this fear - to seek to prove that consciousness somehow continues after physical dissolution - to believe that one may experience memories of past lives and that they may live future yet unknown lives - to associate near death experience dreamlike memories of "living" - not being dead,
    despite clinically being described as such - with "survival".

What about the people who meditate/practice spiritual path and don't believe that "consciousness somehow continues after physical dissolution" and don't seek to prove it?

Understand, this primordial fear is mentioned not as in Thanatophobia or Necrophobia - obsessions that may overtake one's life and require treatment. It is mentioned empathetically as a recognized shared trait of sentient beings - to identify a core element of existence to be aware of - to accept and cope with in whatever means necessary without judgement - but with awareness.

Outright denial of the ever present primordial fear of death is the epitome of delusion and naivete at worst - at best, just plain misconception.

Again, my primary objection is your assumption about this fear being ever-present and it's not possible to be free from it.

• A person who sacrifices his life to save another takes selfless action, agreed - but it is to ensure the survival of that which they have projected the primordial fear of death upon - to ensure the survival of that which they have identified with through the greatest compassion. So, the fear persists, if removed.

This is the point of referring to this fear as primordial - it is integrative - and we are free from it when we cease to exist - but while living it never departs and contributes much to motivate us to unceasingly, and sometimes incautiously pursue a path that allows us to coalesce primordial fear with equanimity.

Being free from fear then can only mean freely and openly admitting fear's presence.

Those who seek a spiritual path beyond proving survival of consciousness without proof are not immune or free from primordial fear - for the suffering they wish to alleviate is merely another projection of a very natural dissatisfactory preoccupation with living (samsara) of which death is an integral part - if not the most important part.

"Good health is simply the slowest way a human being can die." - author unknown

• edited November 2011
    I'd like to see a response from our posters here with experience in end-of-life care to Iron Rabbit's statements about a universal fear of death being mitigated by drugs administered to the dying. That could be informative. Not all individuals facing death are hospitalized or on drugs. Some of those who are not medicated with mood-altering drugs and painkillers, I would expect, fear death in part because they feel they haven't lived a full life, and want more time. Others welcome death, because they've been living with pain for years and want to be released from that (speaking from experience with a grandparent). Still others are satisfied with their life's accomplishments, and are ready to submit to the inevitable. Human variety is almost infinite, I don't think there's an absolute in this regard. But I'd like to know what our nurses, hospice workers, clergy (if any here) have observed.

I've read about cases in which, in the last days of life the dying see a deceased love one or close friends welcoming them. The phenomenon described is one of the consciousness fading in and out of the body, crossing over to "the Other Side" and back, until the final departure from the body. Those cases are always described as peaceful, as they've seen that life continues in another "dimension", and they will be with loved ones. Make of that what you will.

@andyrobyn Although the common perception of NDE's among those who believe in that or are at least open to it, is one of a positive experience, a couple of researchers have reported cases of frightful NDE's. People do not always go to a "nice" place, for whatever reason. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    edited November 2011
    I had a look at this site (near-death.com) and one of the first things I see is,

Quote:
    Nancy Evans Bush, president emeritus of the International Association for Near-Death Studies, says the experience is revelatory. "Most near-death survivors say they don't think there is a God," she says. "They know."
    End of quote.

Experience is more important than narrow-minded scientific evidence. There’s a God after all.
    I rest my case.

(That was sarcastic. Sorry.)

But there’s a serious point to what I’m saying. When we believe so easily what we think we experienced and when we are uncritical about peoples’ accounts of what they think they experienced, the door is wide open.
    And it is open to all sorts of irrational beliefs; not just the Buddhist ones.

@Zenff I am not realy certain what you mean but what else is there other than personal conviction?

Do you understand the meaning of anatta? That there is no thing that is objectivley worth more than anything else? Why then try to elevate science above all else?

Is it that you trust western science more than the axioms of Dharma?

Forgive me if I misunderstood.
    /Victor

• aura, you've always been so generous and inspiring in sharing your experiences on similar threads, I was hoping for more of the same. :)
    Please understand many people have very strongly held religious beliefs on the subject of birth, life, death, and rebirth. Although I am happy to share my own personal experiences and observations of these issues, I do not believe in using any one religion (including using science as a religion) in any attempt to undermine or invalidate anyone else's deeply held religious beliefs on birth, life, death, and rebirth.
    I'd like to see a response from our posters here with experience in end-of-life care to Iron Rabbit's statements about a universal fear of death being mitigated by drugs administered to the dying.
    I think it is truly sad that anyone on this earth would be so ignorant of the world as to consider "palliative care" to be "hospitalization with opiates" when worldwide, palliative care nursing consists of endless washing, watering/feeding, changing the sheets, and providing a bit of company...
    and "hospitalization with opiates" constitutes death in an elite country club that excludes all but a select handful of the population of the earth.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2011

@Zenff I am not realy certain what you mean but what else is there other than personal conviction?

Do you understand the meaning of anatta? That there is no thing that is objectivley worth more than anything else? Why then try to elevate science above all else?

Is it that you trust western science more than the axioms of Dharma?

Forgive me if I misunderstood.
    /Victor

The OP is about “scientific evidence”. I’m not the one who brought it up this time.
    I think there is no scientific evidence for survival of consciousness after death; that’s all.

In my personal opinion the Dharma is something flexible and alive.
    It is not a fixed dogmatic system of thought; not a static image of the world.

Dharma is the tool for liberation. It can be improved.

What I like about science is that it is open to change and improvement.
    In science anything goes; you just have to fit your ideas in with the facts.

• Fortunately, aura@ has taken pains to establish an identity here as an authority on ignorance, however, the sympathy is appreciated. Admittedly, most of the 100 million humans that die annually having no access to professional palliative care would suggest that there exists an unimaginable amount of fear and pain surrounding these deaths. This can't possibly be the source for the observation of a strange peace about the dying - is it? Ignorance and elite country club opiate recipients aside, perhaps there are (as compasionatewarrior@ suggested) some who can offer a less condescending response than aura@ about palliative care workers observations. But frankly, observations are severely limited to the inherent ignorance with which we all misunderstand one another most of the time - not all - but most of the time. And referring back to the OP of the thread, scientific proof of survival of consciousness after death has seemingly morphed into proof that survival of clear consciousness is severely threatened among the living.
  • My NDE was actually drug induced ( I was unbeknown to me given a cocktail by nieve friends ( one whose father was an anaesthetist and through whom came the access to drugs back then in Australia strictly controlled ). As it turned out it was a nearly lethal dose of various drugs, not intentionally to try and kill me ... rather to help the party along - as I think I said earlier, I was 15 years old, nearly 16, at the time).
    So the idea that any drugs used in Palliative Care would necessarily ammeliorate a " primordial fear " I would disagree with.
    The relevant point for me, and from what I have experienced and seen over time from various meditation practices is that the NDE was happening in my mind, anxiety, panic and other mental states are happening in the mind. I am not sure that they tell us much about what happens to our conciousness after death of the body.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @andyrobyn are you talking about almost dying or an actual NDE? I've almost died a couple times myself but never had a NDE.

Admittedly, most of the 100 million humans that die annually having no access to professional palliative care would suggest that there exists an unimaginable amount of fear and pain surrounding these deaths.
    This is the main issue I have with your argument. You assume that most people have an 'unimaginable amount of fear' about death with nothing backing it up. It seems like pure conjecture based on either personal anecdote or just supposition from how you feel about death and imagine others do. If you actually have some articles or papers saying this is the case could you provide some links?
    edited November 2011
    Hi person, I had a NDE - in that I experienced a range of sensations associated with what, without the medical intervention I was receiving at the time, would have progressed to my death - they were as others have described as occuring in NDE - for me the main one was intense fear, also a sense of detachment from the body and floating above looking down, the presence of a light and being drawn away.

At that age I had not thought much about death and was not conscious of any fear of death. I had, however, been very anxious as a child and quite driven and perfectionistic in personality.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Hi person, I had a NDE - in that I experienced a range of sensations associated with what, without the medical intervention I was receiving at the time, would have progressed to my death - they were as others have described as occuring in NDE - for me the main one was intense fear, also a sense of detachment from the body and floating above looking down, the presence of a light and being drawn away.

At that age I had not thought much about death and was not conscious of any fear of death. I had, however, been very anxious as a child and quite driven and perfectionistic in personality.

The reason I ask is that you describe intense fear during your NDE which is different than what most describe. You say though that you would have died without medical intervention. People that have NDE's have them while clinically dead. I wonder if much of the feelings you had were drug induced rather than what others describe? I don't want to diminish or belittle your experience but the feeling of fear is out of the ordinary and I wonder what accounts for that.
    edited November 2011
    I have not explored NDE research or had a big interest in the phenomona and certainly it is not something that I hold as being special or having much to do with consciousness after death.
    NDE is referring to near death experiences. I had stopped breathing and my pulse couldn't be found ( so this could be called death ) - without the fact that two medical doctors were present and intervened very quickly with the access to IV drugs, fluids etc. to commence and continue artifical respiration and support my circulation, my body tissues, organs, systems would have been irreversably affected.
    My personal understanding is that it was certainly related to the biochemical changes occuring in my body and I strongly suggest this is the case in all NDE.
    As I also suggested earlier, for me the important factor is that it was the seed of my panic and anxiety disorder which drove my exploration and search for understanding and meaning initially. This has involved Jungian psychotherapy, exploration of different faiths and beliefs, Catholic practice and eventually in 1980's Tibetan Buddhism.
    My psychotherapist had an interest in NDE and he informed me that fear is a feature , less common than bliss and peace, but one that is commonly described.