Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Exspensive Energy Saving Lightbulb

Comments

• This is news? LED bulbs have been on sale (for a lot less than $60) in the US for several years. Everything in my house except the light in the fridge and the oven are either LEDs or CFLs. I'm slowly converting everything to LED as I can afford it. My entire kitchen is lit (very brightly) by LEDs burning a combined total of 14 watts.
  • Dude! These light bulbs would wake the dead! So bright!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    They have mercury in them and have to be disposed of in the hazardous waste dump. Or is that another bulb, the fluorescent bulb?
  • CFLs have a minute amount of mercury in them (as do all fluorescent bulbs that we've been trashing for decades). LED's don't, but I understand there are other environmental concerns related to their production. Overall though, I still think LEDs make less of an environmental impact that any other kid of lighting.
  • Dude! These light bulbs would wake the dead! So bright!
    Not all of them. The beauty of LEDs (besides my being able to burn less of American Electric Power's juice - nyah!) is that they are available in many colors, brightnesses, and they can be dimmed, etc. They're extremely versatile.
  • I just thought this lightbulb looked pretty cool as an object itself, and it's only a fricking lightbulb, sheesh lol
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There is massive opposition and rebellion to the newer light-bulbs, because the light emitted can actually be detrimental to light-sensitive objects such as sculptures and paintings... and some people cannot stand the light-waves, as they get migraines....
    there is also an issue with making them small enough for specific applications, like Christmas lights....
    the cost to the USA for the Christmas lights touched $410million per year.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    There is massive opposition and rebellion to the newer light-bulbs, because the light emitted can actually be detrimental to light-sensitive objects such as sculptures and paintings... and some people cannot stand the light-waves, as they get migraines....
    there is also an issue with making them small enough for specific applications, like Christmas lights....
    Thanks for the warning about these new bulbs.
    Sunlight is detrimental to paintings, are these bulbs worse, somehow? The migraine issue is important to warn people about. I like old fashioned incandescent bulbs, but the ones that are "full spectrum" light. It's cheerier.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Which new bulbs (there are several types) are causing the migraine issue?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2012
    See reports here

and other references on this website too.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Thanks Federica. I'll have to pay attention. I have what I call mini-migraines. I have begun switching to the new light bulbs, and have not noticed any problems let.

I also wonder about 3D movies causing vision problems. So far I've avoided going to any.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    See reports here

and other references on this website too.
    Just for clarification these articles are talking about CFLs that are causing migranes and the first one that was dated was 4 years old, the technology is improved. The newer bulbs are LED, those tiny little lights that camping head flashlights use.

CFL

LED
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    This is news?
    We're still using candles in some parts of Britain... :D
    You have candles - !?

You lucky bleeder.....!