Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

hiding emotions in work environment

evolveevolve Explorer
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
last week my girlfriend made a mistake at work and her boss yelled at her. in her office there's maybe 10 people and it was over the phone that he yelled. she didn't expect it and she cried a little, and it wasn't super obvious just like sniffles. then a few office friends comforted her and by the end of the week she made up with her boss, but then her other boss today was talking to her about her crying in the office and said it wasn't the place to cry and that she outta take personal moments like that, outside. he wasn't being bossy, but just maybe suggesting? for some reason it made me feel weird, like he was telling her to not be around the office crew when she felt an emotion like that, but to take it outside. Hmmm... I'm trying to understand. I don't like feeling like someone can't express a certain harmless emotion in an environment where they're in 40 + hours a week. hmmm I can see maybe "taking it outside" if it was anger, but like tears? what?? that's just sad to tell someone that

Comments

• Perhaps that's how he would have reacted if he became teary-eyed, that is, have gone somewhere private to let it out.

As a guy that's probably natural advice. If I cried I would not want my coworkers to see.
  • I think the way he went about it was wrong, but I think professionally if you want people to take you seriously, showing tears is a sign of weakness. I'm not saying people can't cry, I'm just saying the business world can be harsh. Maybe it was tough love? I'm not sure. Covering up emotions is something I've done my whole life, so I don't have any advice to give about hiding or suppressing them; I just smile or laugh whenever things get really bad for me.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I think there's already something wrong if a boss yells in such a way as to make someone cry... that should be figured out before anything else. If that's the case, then it sounds like the "other boss" was trying to make sure other employees wouldn't become aware of it by asking that individual to always take it outside. It shouldn't even *happen* again. It's not at all alright to have an abusive work environment and expect people to not react emotionally or to bury their emotions. That's just a recipe for all kinds of future psychological issues developing from that type of environment.
    Heather
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You don't tell us much about the general work environment of the situation. but it seems to me that what you have here are 2 different entities at cross purposes...and I'm not sure that either is "wrong".

The "boss" has the right to expect an employee to do their job professionally, to not upset the appropriate work environment, and to not make customers/clients uncomfortable.

The "employee" has the right to expect and employer to handle situations like this in a professional manner.

I recall a time I had to have a post-observation conference with one of my teachers (I was the principal). It had been a very bad lesson, not just in terms of technique, but the teacher also taught significantly incorrect science. The conference was upsetting to teacher...which always happens when you tell a teacher the content was wrong. During her next class she was subtly but clearly crying. I had to send her home for the rest of day. She was upsetting the children.

No good situation.
  • evolveevolve Explorer
    thanks everyone! her two bosses don't intend to be harsh or put on restrictions. she's been in her job for about 2 months, so maybe things will change?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yup... I think as she begins to become more familiar with her environment, and becomes used to the atmosphere, she'll become more comfortable.
    She may also need, if I may say so - to 'toughen up' a bit.
    Not everything she will take personally - will be personal.
    vinlynevolve
  • I know how hard that is. I had a principal and the word was she made teachers cry on a regular basis. i think when it is many different people and it is a pattern then it is more than just a bad lesson. I can admit to tearing up but I realized how she was and did my best to never show that in front of her.

However some jobs we really put our heart out there so we are already softies. So working with kids I think it is more acceptable to tear up now and then (okay they show us as staff these heartfelt slide shows about how important the work we do is, including some story about a teacher who made the ultimate difference in the life of an abused child, and then get us emotional, I have started avoiding them) but not in front of kids unless you stub your toe or something.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot my other part. If this seems to be more than just a one time incidence, like boss 2 brings up the crying again and again, then I would have one of those difficult conversations with him about it. Being 2 months on the job and just learning how people handle problems is different than being the office crier.
    evolve
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    evolve said:

hmmm I can see maybe "taking it outside" if it was anger, but like tears? what?? that's just sad to tell someone that

Take it outside ergo keep it away from the rest of the slaves.

1 boss, 100 workers - boss shouts at 1 worker, 99 stay quiet - boss shouts at 1 worker, 100 sympathisers shout back, the boss has issues.

Take your tears outside as noone should reflect on them too long... it's unprofessional.
  • 'boss 1' is going to look like a bit of a tyrant if everyone sees one of the workers crying. There's a possibility in my mind that 'boss 2' was trying to cover the incident up.

It doesn't matter what position you're in, unless you're a MC drill instructor where everyone is equally worthless, yelling is generally unacceptable. Ok, it does work, but it depends on the mistake. Was it something serious, or what? I don't know, but the lengths the management went to after the incident does make me raise an eyebrow.

I call foul play. Was it necessary to upset the worker? probably not.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Slight tangent... Sometimes I wonder if it's just the nature of women to just cry sometimes. We can be pretty hormonal creatures, you know. Granted, I abhor crying in public and have only done it a small handful of times... Similar to your gf, once was after my boss gave me a horrible lashing over something that wasn't even my fault. I pretty much was out of commission for a whole hour as I burst into tears over and over again every time someone asked me what was wrong and it was mortifying, but my boss DID apologize to me and even she realized that she was over the line... But for me, as someone who spends a lot of effort keeping things professional, when something is over the line... it's over. It's like the dam breaks and it's really difficult to hold back all that metaphorical and physiological water, heh.

So long story short, I used to think I was crazy, but then I read this article:How to Cry at Work from Autostraddle, which is based off of this article: The Art and Science of Crying at Work from Jezebel, and like the author, felt similarly relieved to find that I'm not alone.

Your girlfriend might be interested in reading those articles... But as an interesting side note, they recommend "getting some air" like her boss recommended. My guess is that her boss wasn't trying to criticize her for crying, but was rather criticizing the public nature of it (being in the office vs. leaving) because he might have seen it as her trying to turn some employees against management. In most cases, if someone starts crying, the person who forced the other person to do such a thing ends up looking like an ass. I think the boss was probably just aware of that and trying to keep everything between the employees and management running smoothly.

Edit: I should mention that I'm not trying to excuse the boss' behavior. But even bosses make mistakes. I just hope that this was an isolated event and not typical behavior on the boss' part.
    evolveRebeccaS
  • evolveevolve Explorer
    wow! the articles are awesome, thanks zombiegirl!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2012
    evolve said:

wow! the articles are awesome, thanks zombiegirl!

:D You're welcome.

I really liked this bit from the Autostraddle article: "Still, what's often seemed odd to me is that we are expected to wholeheartedly throw ourselves into our work, yet express no reaction when such work is not going well. We're expected to pretend that our jobs are our highest priority, but that accidentally blowing thousands of dollars, losing big clients, dealing with assholes, being repeatedly told we're doing something wrong or spilling our third latte in a row doesn't bother us one bit. If someone is expected to stare stoney faced while being yelled at, does that mean they're employed merely as a punching bag? Why must we be judged by an involuntary reaction of the sympathetic nervous system?"

It kind of sums up my feelings on crying at work. Sometimes it just happens, so learn to deal with it. Emotional responses are hard to deal with when they're so overwhelming. I almost cried when I got pulled over the other night even though the cop was super nice and didn't even give me a ticket. :( If your gf is a cryer, I hope those articles might help a bit.
    Vastmindevolve
  • evolveevolve Explorer
    "In the last week, I cried (at least) at the following times:

+When I found out Whitney Houston had died
    +While watching "The Vow" in theaters
    +While watching the trailer for Titanic in 3D during the previews before "The Vow"
    +When "Someone Like You" came on the radio on Valentine's Day
    +When "Riding Solo" came on the radio on Valentine's Day
    +When I tried to start my financial aid forms
    +When I got rejected from Iowa University (even though I don't want to go there)
    +When I missed yoga "

LOL, the thing is, it makes me happy to see that I'm not alone. sometimes I don't cry when it's a situation where I likely would cry, but then other times it takes something so TINY to make me cry. Like a commercial?? but I think it's healthy to cry, it really does help to relieve stress sometimes
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    evolve said:

+While watching the trailer for Titanic in 3D during the previews before "The Vow"
    +When I got rejected from Iowa University (even though I don't want to go there)
    +When I missed yoga "

LOL, the thing is, it makes me happy to see that I'm not alone. sometimes I don't cry when it's a situation where I likely would cry, but then other times it takes something so TINY to make me cry. Like a commercial?? but I think it's healthy to cry, it really does help to relieve stress sometimes

I hear you! Since my daughter was born I tear up whenever I hear about a story of a child suffering or of parents losing a child. Before that, I basically never cried about anything.

evolve said:

+When I missed yoga "

Haha, I'm exactly the same way. There was this commercial a while back that involved "paying it forward" with once person doing a nice deed and then that person doing a nice deed and so on and so forth... made me tear up every time even though it wasn't a sad thing. Over the years I've become a lot more touched by compassion, I think. Others suffering is also a real hot button for me. Don't even get me started on those Sarah Mclachlan commercials...