Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Precept of not killing in relation to the spanish civil war

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Ever since I was young, I always regarded the Republican figures of the Spanish Civil War, especially the anarchists, as heroes and Franco's fascists to be villians. This was mainly due to my political persusasion at the time.

Now that I'm older and a little more mature, although I still do sympathize more with the Republicans, I find myself disgusted by both sides and find the whole thing disgusting. Although I had often said that I would've joined the Republican cause in a heart beat if I were around at the time, I think I would've just stayed out of the whole damned thing now.

I think this could be applied to any and all war situations now too. For example, after 9/11 I wanted all terrorists to die, but now that I've gotten I've started to wonder "What creates a terrorist anyways?" I've also learned about the horrifying attrocities that my own country (USA) has committed against so-called "terrorists" and I wonder: When will it end?

Any thoughts or insight?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I don't know. My opinion is that killing rarely benefits anyone, if ever. I think the Buddha would agree.

As for when it will end, probably never.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    In Buddhism, this killing is a transgression of the first precept. This killing is what is known as "worldly behaviour". It is not spiritual.

But then, yes. If we wish to understand, it is important to examine the causes.

Setting aside the conspiracy theories, on its face value, 9/11 can be viewed as reaction to US foreign policy, ie, is a revenge or result of US karma.

But still...it is a transgression of the first precept.

In Buddhism, there is no moral justification for such actions.

:)
  • edited April 2010
    i avoid thinking about politics as much as possible. the rest of my family seems fascinated by it, they seem to enjoy explaining how politicians aren't really being honest.

I used to enjoy discovering dishonesty in politics, but then i got bored and disgusted with it and now i try to avoid hearing news and such.

Politics is a bunch of bullshit. Oppression and war are not solutions. It does not seem fair that some people can call themselves a government and then proceed to disrespect people's rights.

However, what use is my complaining? Do I have a better idea for how the world should be organized. No. For these two reasons (A, it's all bullshit, B, idk what to do about it), I avoid thinking about politics.
  • edited April 2010
    In Buddhism, this killing is a transgression of the first precept. This killing is what is known as "worldly behaviour". It is not spiritual.

But then, yes. If we wish to understand, it is important to examine the causes.

Setting aside the conspiracy theories, on its face value, 9/11 can be viewed as reaction to US foreign policy, ie, is a revenge or result of US karma.

But still...it is a transgression of the first precept.

In Buddhism, there is no moral justification for such actions.

:)

My question to that is what about defense of the defenseless? I am a warrior. I have been trained to be so since I was 18 years old. If someone is attacking my wife or 5 year old, should I just stand by and say "well that's a shame", or remove him from this world? I choose to kill him to preserve those who cannot protect themselves. Are you saying that Buddhism prohibits the defense of the weak or helpless? Somehow, I don't think that this would be the case.:eek:
  • edited April 2010
    Dialogue can defend
  • edited April 2010
    Dialogue can defend

Dialog? In the face of a murderer or rapist in the act, you expect me to rationalize? I'm sorry but that is an unrealistic answer to a life or death situation. A person in peril does not need me to rationalize with the perpetrator of some heinous crime. It is my duty to act, according to my beliefs and according to my ability.

Is it more wrong to allow the perpetrator to kill the innocent or prevent the crime by killing the perpetrator.

I choose killing the perpetrator if someone has to die. If not, then avoid killing if at all possible.
  • edited April 2010
    dude if someone's in the act of raping or aiming a gun at someone, yeah, extreme measures should be taken, but rape and murder don't just happen instantly and randomly. the dialogue can defend at the stage where the murderer or rapist has not yet started the act.
  • edited April 2010
    dude if someone's in the act of raping or aiming a gun at someone, yeah, extreme measures should be taken, but rape and murder don't just happen instantly and randomly. the dialogue can defend at the stage where the murderer or rapist has not yet started the act.

That was my point. I said if my wife or child were in danger I would act. You suggested that I "talk" to the guy. I said I would not. Things happen instantly and randomly, trust me. If we have to do something "ugly" to preserve the innocent, all I was stating is that we should to save them.

I for one am not going to rationalize with someone who is trying to kill or rape someone. Maybe in the next life we can talk.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »
    Ever since I was young, I always regarded the Republican figures of the Spanish Civil War, especially the anarchists, as heroes and Franco's fascists to be villians. This was mainly due to my political persusasion at the time.

Now that I'm older and a little more mature, although I still do sympathize more with the Republicans, I find myself disgusted by both sides and find the whole thing disgusting. Although I had often said that I would've joined the Republican cause in a heart beat if I were around at the time, I think I would've just stayed out of the whole damned thing now.

I think this could be applied to any and all war situations now too. For example, after 9/11 I wanted all terrorists to die, but now that I've gotten I've started to wonder "What creates a terrorist anyways?" I've also learned about the horrifying attrocities that my own country (USA) has committed against so-called "terrorists" and I wonder: When will it end?

Any thoughts or insight?

When will it end? When all sentient beings have attained enlightenment.

This is the basis for the Bodhisattva vow (the vow to remain here in order to help all sentient beings reach enlightenment). It is compassion-based, and as such is a powerful antidote (for us unenlightened beings) against self-attachment.