Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and socio/psychopaths

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi all,

Lately I've been deeply contemplating the practice of extending compassion to all sentient creatures. In principle, I find this quite easy to do.

However, I am having difficulty in my mind extending this compassion to a sociopathic person, or one who apparently has no conscience or ability to empathize with another human being. I find the best I can do at the moment is to accept that these beings exist.

Has anybody wrestled with this, or is there anything in the Buddhist texts or traditional teachings that specifically addresses this issue?

Thank you.

~Libre

Comments

• edited April 2010
    all i can say, is that they suffer and experience dissatisfaction too, and that by itself, is reason to extend compassion to them, for i would imagine also that they are even more in the grips of desire than people who have a conscience; their desire is so powerful that they cannot but help and be heartless
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I knew a sociopath once upon a time that I was able to love. The key I found to deeply loving him was to see how he was a victim to his mental problems.

Imagine sitting down with them and putting their sociopathic, habituated patterns into a bowl on the table between you. Both of you, now equal with good mental patterns laugh and commune like normal people do. How terrible and horrific it would be to have to drink that bowl and take the poison into your body. When its time to leave, they are the one who has to drink from the bowl and take on all of that poison and go back into the world.

For me, its heartbreaking. Considering most anti-social and personality disorders are said to stem from little children being neglected and abused... this poison is an adaptive construct to their world, and is something that they often bear alone for all their life.

With warmth,

Matt
    Yaskan
  • edited April 2010
    I see a sociopath i run *problam solved*
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you Libre for bringing up this point - it is one that I wrestle with too as I have frequent contact with psychopaths in my work.

Traditionally, the definition of a psychopath is someone unable to be treated who is dangerous.

I am of the belief that probably a certain form of psychodynamic psychotherapy will eventually help but it is not yet fully developed. there have been massive leaps made in the treatment of most personality disorders via this method over the last 40 years and it is likely that psychopathy represents the very bad end of the PD spectrum.

That said, the problem with dealing with psychopaths is that they are often dangerous due to a very limited conscience/empathic ability and so need to be handled by with care, skill and experience. If you are thinking of dealing with one, get experienced help!

Because they are so hard to love, I think even beginning to hold them in your thoughts and mindfulness is excellent. How else can we solve difficult problems unless the light of compassion and wisdom shines on them?

At the end of the day, I get some comfort from the concept of rebirth - not everything can be fixed in this lifetime, but maybe in several lifetimes & deathtimes it can.

Just my 2c
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Earth wrote: »
    I see a sociopath i run *problam solved*

:lol:
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you all for your insightful comments on this topic, which have helped me to clarify and strengthen my feelings of compassion for all beings.
  • edited April 2010
    These words of the Buddha might also be helpful:

AN5.161 Aghatavinaya Sutta: Removing Annoyance

<!-- #H_meta --><!-- #H_billboard --><!-- /robots -->"Bhikkhus, there are these five ways of removing annoyance, by which annoyance can be entirely removed by a bhikkhu when it arises in him. What are the five?

"Loving-kindness can be maintained in being toward a person with whom you are annoyed: this is how annoyance with him can be removed.

"Compassion can be maintained in being toward a person with whom you are annoyed; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

"Onlooking equanimity can be maintained in being toward a person with whom you are annoyed; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

"The forgetting and ignoring of a person with whom you are annoyed can be practiced; this too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

"Ownership of deeds in a person with whom you are annoyed can be concentrated upon thus: 'This good person is owner of his deeds, heir to his deeds, his deeds are the womb from which he is born, his deeds are his kin for whom he is responsible, his deeds are his refuge, he is heir to his deeds, be they good or bad.' This too is how annoyance with him can be removed.

"These are the five ways of removing annoyance, by which annoyance can be entirely removed in a bhikkhu when it arises in him."

Kind regards,

Dazzle

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    A Socio/psychopath has a cerebral problem. There's a glitch in the wiring, according to experts in this field.
    They have a mental problem through no fault of their own. They behave in a way that is completely unacceptable or incomprehensible to others, but to them, is normal, because that lies within their capacity to understand and comprehend their own behaviour.

But it's not their fault.
    By all means disagree with their words and actions, but the fact that they have a mental problem is no reason to dismiss them as undeserving.
    Why discriminate?
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks, Dazzle and Federica.

Federica: Good points.

I have compassion for animals and wish them no harm. If I were to imagine a jaguar, who wanted to eat me, I would understand that the jaguar is just doing what he is designed to do: to survive.

Similarly, just because a socio/psychopath shows malice, disregard for human life and does not have the capacity for empathy, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't have compassion for him.

Also, this really just a mental exercise. Is there a sociopath in front of me? No. If one were, it may be that I would have to distance myself from him, or assist a person whom he was preying upon. My actions would be rooted in compassion for each being involved, including myself.

Thanks everyone for your help in this.

Namaste.

Libre
  • edited April 2010
    Hi All

Good thread!

Speaking as someone who for years wrestled with psycopathic thoughts (never acted on them thankfully!) it is a dreadful way to live being consumed by anger or hatred.

Nowadays, having meditated 4 about ten years, it is almost like I am talking about someone else's life! I practice compassion for the most "unlovable" people because I used 2 be one.

I'm not saying it's easy but once you have suffered it tends 2 make you more compassionate because you know nobody would enjoy living like that.

Cheers
  • edited May 2010
    Libre,

You asked if there were any teachings on this matter.

Well, here's a little something I found -

When I see beings of unpleasant character
    Oppressed by strong negativity and suffering,
    May I hold them dear - for they are rare to find -
    As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!

This verse refers to the special case of relating to people who are socially marginalised, perhaps because of their behaviour, their appearance, their destitution, or on account of some illness. Whoever practices bodhichitta must take special care of these people, as if, on meeting them, you have found a real treasure. Instead of feeling repulsed, a true practitioner of these altruistic principles should engage and take on the challenge of relating. In fact, the way we interact with people of this kind could give a great impetus to our spiritual practice.

From The Dalai Lama's Little Book of Wisdom

I highly recommend this book. Very readable as well as insightful

Hope this helps

:)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Doesn't a sociopathic person has the roots of his disorder in the brain? If so then it is just another impairment like cancer.

Mental disorders have their roots in the physical body
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Doesn't a sociopathic person has the roots of his disorder in the brain?

There are a few different thoughts on how these kinds of disorders come forward. It is said that many of the personality disorders arise as adaptive behaviors to cope with stimulus (usually in childhood or adolescence) that is dysfunctional to specific needs.

Some disorders are biologically rooted, and it is only in the presence of dysfunctional stimuli that the short circuit happens. Its odd to think that observing stimuli changes the biology of the brain, but it does. Others are purely biological and physiological dysfunctions of the brain.

Sociopath is more of a social label than scientific. Not all antisocial personality sufferers would have what society would call sociopathic behaviors. Youtube "The Iceman" if you want to see a fascinating sociopath.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Deshy,

I can't presume 2 speak 4 all psychopaths :)

I have a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. This is said to come from a chemical imbalance in the brain. These days i take medication that has really mellowed me out. Either that or the meditation I do :)

If you want 2 know further, try plugging schizophrenia chemical imbalance brain into Google.

Needles 2 say, not ALL schizophrenia sufferers are violent and not ALL sociopaths are schizophrenic.

Hope I haven't confused you too much ...

Namaste
  • edited May 2010
    Me again,

Just thought of one famous example of a mass-murderer becoming enlightened after changing his ways.

His name was Milarepa & he lived in Tibet.

Found a great page about his life - just plug daily mind milarepa into Google 2 see what I mean.

Cheers
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi Deshy,

I can't presume 2 speak 4 all psychopaths :)

I have a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia. This is said to come from a chemical imbalance in the brain. These days i take medication that has really mellowed me out. Either that or the meditation I do :)

If you want 2 know further, try plugging schizophrenia chemical imbalance brain into Google.

Needles 2 say, not ALL schizophrenia sufferers are violent and not ALL sociopaths are schizophrenic.

Hope I haven't confused you too much ...

Namaste

I'm not confused :D

As far as I see it, mental disorders have their roots in the brain, physical factors. But I am not sure if all cases are such
  • edited May 2010
    Good to hear it!

Not that confusion is the WORST fate that can befall a human being.

:)
  • edited May 2010
    There is some misunderstanding in this thread. Psychopaths and sociopaths can be dangerous, and it is true that there are proportionately more of this type of personality disorder in prison - some for violent crime, some for 'white collar' crime. However, many psycho/sociopaths are not dangerous and are often very successful in business, politics and showbusiness. The lack of empathy enables this type of person to be more successful by manipulating and hurting others. Statistically there are larger numbers of psycho/sociopaths at the top of their professions for this reason. In addition and this is very important, so called 'normal' people commit more crime, including violent crime, than those who have a personality disorder or are mentally ill.

The point about this group of people being 'victims' of child abuse and of their biology is correct. Many have had either clear obvious abuse or subclinical neglect (the kind that it is difficult to put your finger on - the child is clean, well fed, provided with the material stuiff they need and isn't beaten - but they are to some degree, emotionally and often subtly abused). Others are simply unfortunate to have inherited a particular neurological 'deficit'.

It is a terrible thing to not be able to feel what others do - it is an impairment like not being able to hear or see imo.
    Yaskan
  • I think I am dealing with a sociopath in my life. I`m not sure if he`s missing something in his brain...but he`s definitely far beyond any help that I could and have tried to offer. His mom committed suicide and he`s never seen anyone about it and I don`t think he has really talked to anyone about it. I think there is hope for him but not by my help. I have been trying to distance myself but the thing is whenever I do that, he just becomes more insistent on being close again. Normally, a person gets a hint and allows you your space. I was at the gym today and he was there. He saw me on the machine and started to work out right next to me. When I switched machines, he followed me to which ever one I switched to. When I walked out of the gym, he followed me. I decided to veer off to a way which I knew wasn`t in his direction and he said goodbye. But then he took another way that was parallel to the way I was walking and followed me from a distance. I pretended I didn`t see but I could see him whenever I turned a little from my peripheral vision. So weird. I`ve tried to be compassionate. I have had the tendency to be too responsible for other people (I didn`t realize it then, but now I know). I figure, I`ve been fortunate to have had some really great people in my life to guide me, so in a way, I can give back by trying to help. But its just gotten to a point where I think its unhealthy. It got to a point where I just felt so heavy and tired and I feel like to keep doing it would hinder him from developing into a better person. I find it hard to be compassionate and keep a distance. He`s really manipulative and takes advantage of other people`s feelings and I`m afraid to fall prey to it again. I didn`t really speak to him at the gym and its probably not the best course of action but I really don`t know what else to do. I can`t really physically stay away because we`re in the same program and year at school and play in the same orchestras (sometimes sitting together in the section) and I see him constantly and sometimes have to hang out with him in a small group of people. Sorry for the long and really esoteric paragraph.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Very Briefly:
    Yours is an important post, which merits consideration and answer.
    However - the thread is extremely old, and is also open to general web searches,
    I have closed the thread.
    Please copy and start a new thread in 'Members Only' which is inaccessible to non-members conducting web/internet searches. Much safer, personal and discreet.

Many thanks for posting, and I'm sure you'll get constructive answers.
This discussion has been closed.