Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samkhara-Dukkha

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Can someone please explain dukkha as conditioned states (Samkhara-Dukkha) to me?

From what I understand, a being is made up of 5 impermanent, and constantly changing aggregates. They arise, condition the appearance of the next moment and disappear. Without wisdom, the combination of the aggregates appears as a permanent or fixed "I". Through this wrong view arises thirst, craving, attachment, dukkha.

Is my understanding of this topic anywhere close to correct?

My name is Tom by the way. I'm new here. I just started going to a Theravada Temple a month ago to learn about the Dhamma. I have so many questions!

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi Tom,

Your understanding is spot on. :)

With Metta,

Guy
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    this teaching is interesting

i will investigate it more later when i get home and can read my SN
    Dukkhadukkhatātiādīsu dukkhasaṅkhāto dukkhasabhāvo dukkhadukkhatā

"There are these three forms of stressfulness, my friend: the stressfulness of pain, the stressfulness of fabrication, the stressfulness of change. These are the three forms of stressfulness."

Dukkha Sutta
    dukkhadukkhatā = suffering related to physical pain

dukkhasabhāvo must be the suffering of becoming (attachment, ego, mental concocting, etc)

if so, dukkhasaṅkhāto must be the dukkha as a characteristic of conditioned phenomena (associated with impermanence)

sankhara here must mean 'conditioned thing' (rather than sankhara khanda or kaya vaci citta sankhara or sankhara as 'mental concocting') because 'bhavo' means 'becoming'

:confused:
    edited May 2010
    prspeppers wrote: »
    From what I understand, a being is made up of 5 impermanent, and constantly changing aggregates. They arise, condition the appearance of the next moment and disappear. Without wisdom, the combination of the aggregates appears as a permanent or fixed "I". Through this wrong view arises thirst, craving, attachment, dukkha.

Is my understanding of this topic anywhere close to correct?
    hi Tom

i am not sure

dukkha as a characteristic of phenomena means the quality in impermanent things which causes them to be unattractive or repulsive to the mind

it is also the inherent danger or potential of impermanent things to stimulate dukkha when they are attached to and not seen clearly

often this dukkha is translated as unsatisfactoriness

this meaning is distinct from the psychogical experience of dukkha (from craving & attachment)

for example, if i offered you a rotting (impermanent) apple, you would not be attracted to it because it has the quality of dukkha due to its impermanence

or if i tried to sell you a $20,000 car and advised you it will drive for only ten kilometres, you would think the car is dukkha

the dukkha associated with impermanence, when seen clearly, results in liberation of mind rather than suffering of mind, as follows:
    "Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"

Anatta-lakkhana Sutta

kind regards

:)
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings,

All dhammas except nibbana are sankhata-dhammas (formed dhammas).

Sankhara means 'dependent on something'.

With the arising of avijja, sankharas come to be.
    With the cessation of avijja, sankharas do not come to be.

Thus, sankharas depends upon ignorance.

Follow the dependent origination sequence and you will see how all sankharas are dukkha. Even if they are sukha (happy, easy to bear), they still eventually result in birth, decay and suffering because that which is pleasant generally becomes a source of attachment and craving.

Essentially, because sankhata-dhammas are dependent on something else, they cannot be relied upon for happiness and therefore are unsatisfactory and not-self. Even though sankhara is just listed once in the dependent origination sequences, all the nidanas are sankhata (formed), as they are dependent upon their predecessors.

Metta,
    Retro. :)
    edited May 2010
    what an unusual day...obvious Pali webpage malfunction...

i log back into my Pali source and the Pali is different :confused:

as i thought, the Pali is as follows:
    Tisso imā, āvuso, dukkhatā. Dukkhadukkhatā, saṅkhāradukkhatā , vipariṇāmadukkhatā – imā kho, āvuso, tisso dukkhatā’’ti.

"There are these three forms of stressfulness, my friend: the stressfulness of pain, the stressfulness of fabrication, the stressfulness of change. These are the three forms of stressfulness."

Dukkha Sutta

vipariṇāmadukkhatā = the dukkha associated with change

therefore, personally, my view is saṅkhāradukkhatā means the dukkha associated with mental concocting or mental spinning (of sankhara khanda), such as the opposite is described in the well known description of Nibbana:
    Idampi kho ṭhānaṃ duddasaṃ yadidaṃ – sabba [all] saṅkhāra [fabricating] samatho [quieting, calming] sabbūpadhipaṭinissaggo taṇhākkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṃ.

the calming of all fabricating, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the destruction of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana.

MN 26

To end, for me, saṅkhāradukkhatā is the suffering associated with mental fabricating or concocting, as found in the following verse:
    What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one complicates. Based on what a person complicates, the perceptions & categories of complication assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future forms cognizable via the eye.

MN 18

Or the following verse:
    Jighacchāparamā rogā, saṅkhāraparamā dukhā;
    Etaṃ ñatvā yathābhūtaṃ, nibbānaṃ paramaṃ sukhaṃ.

Hunger is the worst disease, mental concocting is the supreme suffering.
    Knowing this as it really is, the wise realize Nibbana, the supreme bliss.

Sukhavagga

• edited May 2010
    Nice sutta examples DD.

Out of interest Dhatu, which source do you use for your untranslated Pali suttas?

Metta,
    edited May 2010
    All dhammas except nibbana are sankhata-dhammas (formed dhammas).
    true, such as rocks or blocks of cement
    Sankhara means 'dependent on something'.
    It can but not always. For example, sankhara khanda does not mean 'dependent on something'.
    "And why do you call them 'fabrications'? Because they fabricate fabricated things, thus they are called 'fabrications.' What do they fabricate as a fabricated thing? For the sake of form-ness, they fabricate form as a fabricated thing. For the sake of feeling-ness, they fabricate feeling as a fabricated thing. For the sake of perception-hood... For the sake of fabrication-hood... For the sake of consciousness-hood, they fabricate consciousness as a fabricated thing. Because they fabricate fabricated things, they are called fabrications.

Khajjaniya Sutta

Bhikkhus, why do they speak of sankhara? Bhikkhus, this nature naturally concocts concocted things (abhisankharonti), for this reason it is called "sankhara." What does it concoct? It concocts rupa as something concocted with "formness," it concocts vedana as something concocted with "feelingness," it concocts sanya as something concocted with "recognition-ness," it concocts sankhara as something concocted with "concoctingness," it concocts vinyana as something concocted with "cognition-ness." Bhikkhus, this nature naturally concocts concocted things, for this reason it is called "sankhara."

Sutta version 2
    With the arising of avijja, sankharas come to be.
    With the cessation of avijja, sankharas do not come to be.
    Greetings Retro

Are you implying rocks or blocks of cement come to be due to ignorance?
    Thus, sankharas depends upon ignorance.
    But ignorance is something mental. How can something mental create physical phenomena, like a solar system, galaxies or the universe?
    Follow the dependent origination sequence and you will see how all sankharas are dukkha. Even if they are sukha (happy, easy to bear), they still eventually result in birth, decay and suffering because that which is pleasant generally becomes a source of attachment and craving.
    Are you saying we are all attached to rocks, blocks of cement and the plant Pluto (which we have not come into contact with)?
    Essentially, because sankhata-dhammas are dependent on something else, they cannot be relied upon for happiness and therefore are unsatisfactory and not-self.
    This sounds like dukkha lakana, the characteristic of dukkha.
    Even though sankhara is just listed once in the dependent origination sequences, all the nidanas are sankhata (formed), as they are dependent upon their predecessors.
    The Pali states the sankharas here are the kaya, vaci & citta sankhara. The Pali clearly defines the kaya sankhara as the breathing in & breathing out (MN 44). So how is the breathing in & breathing out dependent upon ignorance? How does the breathing in & breathing out form the other nidanas?

‘‘Katame ca, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā? Tayome, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā – kāyasaṅkhāro, vacīsaṅkhāro, cittasaṅkhāro. Ime vuccanti, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā.

"And what are fabricators? These three are fabricators: body fabricator, verbal fabricator, mind fabricator. These are called fabricators.

Paticca-samuppada-vibhanga Sutta
    edited May 2010
    Out of interest Dhatu, which source do you use for your untranslated Pali suttas?

http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/

• edited May 2010
    Greetings Dhamma Dhatu,

Cement can be known in different ways. For example, it can be known and perceived through eye-consciousness and body-consciousness. Therefore, the hard feeling of the earth element, or the sight of concrete are formed (sankhata) through a process of consciousness (vinnana) and subsequent cognition (panna, which is part of nama).

If there were no senses, there would be no knowledge of concrete... it would be forever outside the domain of our world (loka). That is not to say that concrete "does not exist" objectively in an external or scientific sense... only that is becomes known to us as a dhamma (thing) via the doors of consciousness.

In a scientific/objective sense concrete, universes, Pluto and such are 'formed' (sankhata) but this is not the domain of dependent origination, because the sankhata-dhamma of the Buddha concerns only that on which loka depends. Comets, asteroids and such are not the concern of the Buddha's Dhamma because they are not connected to suffering and its cessation.

The experience (in loka) of breathing out is dependent upon breathing in which is dependent upon breathing out, and so on, and that experience is conditioned by avijja. Anapanasati can lead to a tranquilizing of the formations, such that in the deepest depths of the formless jhanas, the consciousness of anything formed (sankhata) including kaya-sankhara itself comes to rest. Or so have I heard, not having experienced such depth of jhana, but I have observed the relative 'thinning' of sankharas and see no reason they could not be removed altogether. I believe the physiological act of breathing needn't cease with this, but any consciousness of breath will.

Metta,
    edited May 2010
    Cement can be known in different ways. For example, it can be known and perceived through eye-consciousness and body-consciousness. Therefore, the hard feeling of the earth element, or the sight of concrete are formed (sankhata) through a process of consciousness (vinnana) and subsequent cognition (panna, which is part of nama).
    This may be true but in the Dependent Origination the sankhara are before consciousness rather than after consciousness.

So how can something be formed (sankhata) through a process of consciousness (vinnana) when sankhara comes before consciousness?

:smilec:
    edited May 2010
    If there were no senses, there would be no knowledge of concrete... it would be forever outside the domain of our world (loka). That is not to say that concrete "does not exist" objectively in an external or scientific sense... only that is becomes known to us as a dhamma (thing) via the doors of consciousness.
    So is what you are proposing here similar to the Book of Genesis?

Are you proposing mind creates nature rather than nature creates mind?

The Beginning

<SUP id=en-NIV-1 class=versenum>1</SUP> In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

<SUP id=en-NIV-2 class=versenum>2</SUP> Now the earth was <SUP class=footnote value='URL="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/#fen-NIV-2a"]a[/URL'>URL="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/#fen-NIV-2a"]a[/URL</SUP> formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

<SUP id=en-NIV-3 class=versenum>3</SUP> And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. <SUP id=en-NIV-4 class=versenum>4</SUP> God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. <SUP id=en-NIV-5 class=versenum>5</SUP> God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

<SUP id=en-NIV-6 class=versenum>6</SUP> And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." <SUP id=en-NIV-7 class=versenum>7</SUP> So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. <SUP id=en-NIV-8 class=versenum>8</SUP> God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

<SUP id=en-NIV-9 class=versenum>9</SUP> And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. <SUP id=en-NIV-10 class=versenum>10</SUP> God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

<SUP id=en-NIV-11 class=versenum>11</SUP> Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. <SUP id=en-NIV-12 class=versenum>12</SUP> The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. <SUP id=en-NIV-13 class=versenum>13</SUP> And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

<SUP id=en-NIV-14 class=versenum>14</SUP> And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, <SUP id=en-NIV-15 class=versenum>15</SUP> and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. <SUP id=en-NIV-16 class=versenum>16</SUP> God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. <SUP id=en-NIV-17 class=versenum>17</SUP> God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, <SUP id=en-NIV-18 class=versenum>18</SUP> to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. <SUP id=en-NIV-19 class=versenum>19</SUP> And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

<SUP id=en-NIV-20 class=versenum>20</SUP> And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." <SUP id=en-NIV-21 class=versenum>21</SUP> So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. <SUP id=en-NIV-22 class=versenum>22</SUP> God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth." <SUP id=en-NIV-23 class=versenum>23</SUP> And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

<SUP id=en-NIV-24 class=versenum>24</SUP> And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. <SUP id=en-NIV-25 class=versenum>25</SUP> God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

<SUP id=en-NIV-26 class=versenum>26</SUP> Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, <SUP class=footnote value='URL="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/#fen-NIV-26b"]b[/URL'>URL="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/#fen-NIV-26b"]b[/URL</SUP> and over all the creatures that move along the ground." <SUP id=en-NIV-27 class=versenum>27</SUP> So God created man in his own image,
    in the image of God he created him;
    male and female he created them.
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings Dhatu,
    This may be true but in the Dependent Origination the sankhara are before consciousness rather than after consciousness.

So how can something be formed (sankhata) through a process of consciousness (vinnana) when sankhara comes before consciousness?

That consciousness too is "dependent upon something", else it would not comes to be, as dhammas do not arise without cause. Only nibbana is not dependent upon anything.

As mentioned above, all the nidanas are in fact sankhata because they are dependent upon the earlier nidanas for their arising - they are not nibbana.

I certainly do not disagree with venerable Dhammadinna and her explanations of sankhara - she spoke well. Consider though... does the cessation of avijja result in the termination of in-and-out breathing or just its quenching? So it is with nama-rupa, salayatana, phassa etc.

Metta,

P.S. I don't quite see the connection to Genesis, so I would have to say "no".
  • edited May 2010
    27. Then God said "Let there be concrete"

• edited May 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    27. Then God said "Let there be concrete".
    And it was so.

concrete-crack.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    "And it was so."
    roll.gif

edited May 2010
    In a scientific/objective sense concrete, universes, Pluto and such are 'formed' (sankhata) but this is not the domain of dependent origination, because the sankhata-dhamma of the Buddha concerns only that on which loka depends. Comets, asteroids and such are not the concern of the Buddha's Dhamma because they are not connected to suffering and its cessation.
    So are you proposing the breathing in & out (anapana) is not connected to suffering & its cessation?

Are you proposing when the suttas say to calm the kaya sankhara (breathing in & out) that this some kind of mistranslation?

Are you proposing the Buddha taught 'mind only' school, like there is only one khanda?
    The experience (in loka) of breathing out is dependent upon breathing in which is dependent upon breathing out, and so on, and that experience is conditioned by avijja.
    So are you saying when the Buddha exhorted his monks at SN 54.12 that if asked they must say: "Anapanasati is the Tathagatha's dwelling", that here the Buddha was suffering from ignorance?
    Anapanasati can lead to a tranquilizing of the formations, such that in the deepest depths of the formless jhanas, the consciousness of anything formed (sankhata) including kaya-sankhara itself comes to rest.
    But what is this kaya-sankhara that can come to rest if all things are mental?

For example, if the perception of it ceases, does the kaya sankhara come to rest with the cessation of that perception?

Does the breathing in & out cease or come to rest because the perception of it ceases?

A similie is the waves in the great ocean. Do they come to rest because perception of them comes to rest?
    I believe the physiological act of breathing needn't cease with this, but any consciousness of breath will.
    Now I am confused? You seemed to say the breathing in & out is dependent on ignorance, which is something mental. Now you seem to be proposing there is physiology not dependent on ignorance.

edited May 2010
    As mentioned above, all the nidanas are in fact sankhata because they are dependent upon the earlier nidanas for their arising - they are not nibbana.
    If that is the case, what about ignorance? What is ignorance dependent on?

edited May 2010
    Consider though... does the cessation of avijja result in the termination of in-and-out breathing or just its quenching? So it is with nama-rupa, salayatana, phassa etc.
    Certainly I must insist on their 'quenching'.

The Buddha taught all is burning with the fires of greed, hatred & delusion.

So with the cessation of avijja, the result is the cessation of fires.

It follows, the five aggregates & the salayatana quench or cool down.

I would assert they certainly do not cease.

I would suggest the Buddha was free from ignorance but not blind, deaf, dumb & mute.

The Upaya Sutta states:
    "If a monk abandons passion for the property of consciousness, then owing to the abandonment of passion, the support is cut off and there is no landing of consciousness. Consciousness, thus not having landed, not increasing, not concocted, is released. Owing to its release, it is steady. Owing to its steadiness, it is contented. Owing to its contentment, it is not agitated. Not agitated, he (the monk) is totally unbound right within. He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings Dhatu,
    So are you proposing the breathing in & out (anapana) is not connected to suffering & its cessation?
    Of course not, anything within loka is.
    Are you proposing when the suttas say to calm the kaya sankhara (breathing in & out) that this some kind of mistranslation?
    No, as I said above, anapanasati is a means by which to tranquillize sankharas
    Are you proposing the Buddha taught 'mind only' school, like there is only one khanda?
    No, there are five aggregates of clinging.
    So are you saying when the Buddha exhorted his monks at SN 54.12 that if asked they must say: "Anapanasati is the Tathagatha's dwelling", that here the Buddha was suffering from ignorance?
    Not at all.
    I believe the distinction between mind and matter is somewhat artificial - there is loka (i.e. five aggregates, six sense bases)
    For example, if the perception of it ceases, does the kaya sankhara come to rest with the cessation of that perception?
    From the perspective of loka, yes.
    From the perspective of the physiological act of breathing, no.
    Does the breathing in & out cease or come to rest because the perception of it ceases?

Dependent origination and the Buddha's teaching is concerned with understanding loka, not physiology.
    Of course not, anything within loka is. (I could say samsara instead of loka, but I don't want anyone else to start chiming in with transmigration views)
    Not at all.
    I believe the distinction between mind and matter is somewhat artificial - there is loka (i.e. five aggregates, six sense bases)
    A similie is the waves in the great ocean. Do they come to rest because perception of them comes to rest?
    From the perspective of the physical movement of H2O molecules, no.
    Now I am confused? You seemed to say the breathing in & out is dependent on ignorance, which is something mental. Now you seem to be proposing there is physiology not dependent on ignorance.
    Physiology is not the domain of the Buddha's teaching - that is all. I believe his teachings are to be understood only in the context of that which can be experienced, otherwise, what is the relevance or connection of them to dukkha and its cessation. The Buddha's instruction in the Simsapa Sutta is a good guide.

Metta,
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings Dhatu,
    Certainly I must insist on their 'quenching'.
    Likewise, do you concur that 'quenching' is what is intended by nirodha?
    The Buddha taught all is burning with the fires of greed, hatred & delusion.

So with the cessation of avijja, the result is the cessation of fires.

It follows, the five aggregates & the salayatana quench or cool down.
    Agreed.
    I would assert they certainly do not cease.
    Likewise, if by 'cease' you mean terminated (in a conventional sense). However, dependent origination has no relevance to the experience of an arahant or a Buddha as they have transcended avijja. The ongoing physiological acts like breathing, seeing, hearing and such continue while the arahant lives... further indication that the physiological aspects of these things are not what was intended by the Buddha in his teaching of dependent origination... only the conditioned experience of them.
    I would suggest the Buddha was free from ignorance but not blind, deaf, dumb & mute.
    I concur with your suggestion.

Metta,
    edited May 2010
    Are rocks & blocks of cement sankharas or non-sankharas?

Can anapanasati tranquilise rocks & blocks of cement?

Now I am confused?

:(

Do the aggregates cling or are they clung to?

If so, what clings to the aggregates?

Not at all.
    Phew! I was worried there.

:D

So can I use mind to dig the earth or cut down a tree?

Is the game of scissors, paper & stone mere illusion?

:crazy:

So is loka the enlightened state?

Which is the enlightened state?

Lokiya (pertaining to the world) or lokuttara (beyond the world)?

:hiding:

Dependent origination and the Buddha's teaching is concerned with understanding loka, not physiology.
    So what about the following quote? What does it mean?
    "For him — infatuated, attached, confused, not remaining focused on their drawbacks — the aggregates head toward future accumulation. The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now this & now that — grows within him. His bodily disturbances & mental disturbances grow. His bodily torments & mental torments grow. His bodily distresses & mental distresses grow. He is sensitive both to bodily stress & mental stress.

Maha-salayatanika Sutta
    Of course not, anything within loka is. (I could say samsara instead of loka, but I don't want anyone else to start chiming in with transmigration views)
    What about wife & child? Are they within loka? Isn't it bedtime? Its 10:05pm!

With metta

Good night. Good sleep.

:ausflag:
    edited May 2010
    Likewise, do you concur that 'quenching' is what is intended by nirodha?
    Naturally.

:smilec:
  • edited May 2010
    Greetings Dhatu,
    Are rocks & blocks of cement sankharas or non-sankharas?
    In the objective or scientific sense you seem to be referring to, they are unknowable, as they are outside loka. Do you experientially know rocks and cement beyond your experience of them in your loka? If not, they need not be of concern in the Dhamma.
    Do the aggregates cling or are they clung to?

If so, what clings to the aggregates?
    I believe it is said in sutta that clinging is inseparable from the clinging aggregates. It is clinging that clings.
    So can I use mind to dig the earth or cut down a tree?
    Ah, these questions of yours still concern that which resides outside loka!
    Is the game of scissors, paper & stone mere illusion?
    Your experience of this is via the six modes of consciousness. It is sanna (perception), manasikara (attention) and such which result in these consciousnesses being synthesized and conceived of as "the game of scissors, paper & stone".
    So is loka the enlightened state?
    No, lokuttara is.
    So what about the following quote? What does it mean?
    It means precisely what is says. :)
    What about wife & child? Are they within loka?
    See the earlier example of rock paper scissors.
    Isn't it bedtime? Its 10:05pm!
    Indeed it is. Thank you as always for this thought provoking discussion. I hope it has given prspeppers some food for thought on the topic of sankhara-dukkha. Good night.

Metta,