Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
My brother-in-law was just diagnosed w/MS. I would like to send him a buddist get well prayer.

Comments

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Is your brother-in-law Buddhist? If not, the just general good wishes, thinking of you, praying for you, would probably be best.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2010
    cbascher wrote: »
    My brother-in-law was just diagnosed w/MS. I would like to send him a buddist get well prayer.

You already have. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    First of all, I want to say that I'm very sorry to hear that your brother-in-law has multiple sclerosis. My brother has it too so I can understand how you must be feeling. Glad to hear that you are thinking the best for him and sending love and compassion his way.

Second, as jinzang mentioned, if your brother-in-law is not Buddhist, general good wishes and positive thoughts may be more appropriate. Just being present and letting someone know you care are more powerful tools than you can imagine.

So I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this is from An Anthology of Buddhist Prayer pdf (I just Googled "buddhist prayer"):
    The Prayer Liberating Sakya from Disease

All sentient beings equal to space go for refuge to the precious Guru-Buddha. We go for refuge to the Buddha, we go for refuge to the Dharma, and we go for refuge to the Sangha.

We go for refuge to the assembly of Gurus, meditational deities, dakas and dakinis. We go for refuge to the empty clarity of our own minds, the Dharmakaya.

Recite these verses as many times as you are able.

Then recite the mantra
    OM MANI PADME HUM hundreds of times, as many as you are able.

Then:

May all the diseases that sadden the minds of sentient beings and that result from karma and temporary conditions, such as the harm of spirits, illnesses and the elements, not occur in the realms of the world.

May whatever suffering that comes from life-threatening diseases—which, like a butcher leading an animal to be slaughtered, separate the body from the mind in a mere instant—not occur in the realms of the world.

May all embodied beings be unharmed by acute, chronic and other infectious diseases, the mere sound of whose name terrifies beings as though they were placed inside the mouth of Yama, the lord of death.

May all embodied beings be unharmed by the 80,000 classes of harmful interferers, the 360 evil spirits that harm suddenly, the 424 diseases and so forth.

May whatever suffering that comes from disturbances of the four elements, depriving the body and mind of every pleasure, be totally pacified, and may the body and mind have radiance and power and be endowed with long life, good health and well-being.

By the compassion of the Gurus and Triple Gem, the power of the dakas and dakinis, the Dharma protectors and guardians, and by the strength of the infallibility of karma and its results, may these many dedications and prayers be fulfilled as soon as they are made.

Colophon:
    Once and epidemic was spreading from one person to another at the great monastery of the Glorious Sakya (tradition). Whatever the mantric masters tried – effigies, tormas, medicines, mantras, protection amulets, and so forth – had no effect, and the monastery was in danger of annihilation. At that time the master Mahasiddha (T’ang T’ong Gyalpo) performed the ‘Space’ refuge, recited a number of Manis, and proclaimed this prayer called ‘Attainment’, during which the entire epidemic immediately ceased in dependence upon its performance. Thereby, it became renowned as the vajra speech radiating masses of clouds of blessing entitled ‘The Prayer Liberating Sakya from Disease’.

Sarvamangalam.

May all be auspicious.