Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm having issues with finding where I belong?

edited August 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Phew! Its been a while since I've posted here. I'm glad to be back.

My whole life has been a struggle with religion. I have always questioned what I was taught, and my parents are devout Christians. About two years ago, I stumbled across Buddhism (I'm only very young, I'm just turning 16 in September) my Dad was reading a Dalai Lama book and I borrowed it. Then I started digging and really got into it, and I really felt at home. The past few moths I've drifted away from it. I found another religion, that felt right. But then, it sorta faded away, and I've just held onto it without ever actually believing. Its almost just out of convenience, first off is it normal to be like this? Constantly changing my mind?

Well I guess all I'm asking is for a little advice. :o

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Personally I think you nailed a big part of it yourself without maybe realising it, ''I'm only very young.'' You seem quite intellectual and in tune with things, but at the end of the day you are still only 15.

You are maybe still finding your religious feet in my opinion, which is totally fine of course. I believe that we should never be told to believe in a faith or even brought up to, this has always seemed incorrect to me. My parents never christened me as a baby which was and still is the norm where I was born, even if most of those babies grow up to not follow the religion at all, they left it up to me to decide when I was old enough to.

Things happen in our life that affect where we go, which path we take and what we want.
    If you break down a religion to its absolute basic core, it teaches loving kindness and purity. Everything else in between is slightly different, but all religions if followed correctly lead to this. Depending on mental disposition decides which faith you will have, if any at all. Buddhism teaches as you may know that we should not disregard a persons faith as it holds the power to bring happiness and love to that persons life and for those that surround it.

I would say to you that follow what you feel is right, where you feel best following a certain path and can see the progress. It may change as you get older and that is fine, but look at the here and now and find out what works best for you, tom :)
  • edited August 2010
    Thank you, its greatly appreciated. I think I'm gonna re-read my books on Buddhism and see where it takes me. Again, I really appreciate it. :)
    edited August 2010
    I haven't been practicing buddhism for very long, but have been studying it a little longer :P This is one thing that has become apparent to me more recently, there are a lot of things you cannot get from studying buddhism, things you need to find through experiences in life. Maybe it is in meditation, maybe it is being alone looking out across a lonely landscape, often it is from a situation you consider very unpleasant. You can bring these teachings into every day life and use them to understand and deal with what life has to throw at you.
    It does take a long time and progress is very gradual in my experience. We are a generation which has become very lazy and wanting things quickly. The profound fruits of buddhism com with time, so I wish you all the best :)

Remember, you should follow what you believe and what works best for, whatever that may be,

tom
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    My whole life has been a struggle with religion.

To my mind, what you just said is an oxymoron. If you have to struggle with it, then obviously it isn't right for you. Your spirituality should find you, not the other way around. If it's a struggle, then something's wrong.
    I have always questioned what I was taught

Congratulations! That's a WONDERFUL first step! Keep doing it!!
    is it normal to be like this? Constantly changing my mind?

Define: "normal". What's normal for me might not be so for you, nor vice-versa. You're you, and you have to do, think, and feel what's right for you. It matters not one teenie little bit what anyone else thinks about it. You've already answered this question (see #2 above).
    Well I guess all I'm asking is for a little advice

Do what feels right and natural. If you're truly interested in Buddha dharma, then simply recognize the wisdom of the four noble truths, and try to follow the eightfold path and it's really hard to go wrong!

Mtns
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, I agree with what's been said. I just wanted to add a little to what Tom was saying about life experience.

So, you're 15. Why do you want to have a religion, why is it important to you? For me, when I was younger I always hated religion, thinking it was stupid and dogmatic, but once in a while being jealous of people who believed in God. I just couldn't do it though because I didn't really believe. And then, all hell broke loose in my life. I was almost 21 and suddenly terrified of life. I still can't quite explain it, but it happened, and I have dealt with anxiety ever since. And that's when I found Buddhism. That's why I practice it, because it's essential to my life.

So that's why I ask, why do you want to have this figured out? Do keep questioning things, and always look for ways to apply whatever religion you feel comfortable with to your life. Ajahn Brahm always says, "Don't bend reality to fit the religion, bend the religion to fit the reality." So my advice is to live, just live. :) And it's wonderful to have done some reading on Buddhism and other religions, just to have that in the back of your mind for whenever things come up in your life that you need help figuring out.

So, in summery, my advice is to not worry about it so much. Just enjoy life and keep an open mind. :) Best wishes to you!
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010
    is it normal to be like this? Constantly changing my mind?

I think it might be better to regard yourself as 'exploring' rather than 'changing your mind'. As others have noticed, you're 15! Don't worry too much about getting it all right in this moment, no matter what path you take, just look around you and let what you find sink in. From there, you'll develop a personal taste for what you'd like out of life. 'Deciding' is very overrated. :)

Be curious! Explore!

With warmth,

Matt
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Phew! Its been a while since I've posted here. I'm glad to be back.

My whole life has been a struggle with religion. I have always questioned what I was taught, and my parents are devout Christians. About two years ago, I stumbled across Buddhism (I'm only very young, I'm just turning 16 in September) my Dad was reading a Dalai Lama book and I borrowed it. Then I started digging and really got into it, and I really felt at home. The past few moths I've drifted away from it. I found another religion, that felt right. But then, it sorta faded away, and I've just held onto it without ever actually believing. Its almost just out of convenience, first off is it normal to be like this? Constantly changing my mind?

Well I guess all I'm asking is for a little advice. :o

I certainly don't think it's abnormal, and I myself have bounced around quite a bit when it comes to these things (e.g., interests have ranged from Satanism, Paganism and extreme atheism to Buddhism, Orthodox Christianity and a host of ancient Greek philosophies such as Stoicism, Epicureanism, etc). My advice is to keep an open mind and simply enjoy the privilege of being able to explore anything that happens to pique your interest. You don't have to pick just one to learn from. Take whatever seem useful and inspiring and leave the rest behind.
    edited August 2010
    I use to be extreme atheist also lol. But satanism... wow lol, not many biddhists will be able to say they use to be into satanism. how did that come about?? I am curious :p
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    But satanism... wow lol, not many biddhists will be able to say they use to be into satanism. how did that come about?? I am curious :p

As a teenager I also studied the works of Anton LaVey, who in reality ripped much of his work from other sources (Aleister Crowley, Ayn Rand, Nietzsche, Wiccan and Christian rituals, etc). I think it can be very appealing partially because it plays on your own desirous urges and delusions - saying that you should embrace your anger, your greed, your lust, and just go with it.

I'm really glad I went through that phase (as well as many others I don't care to recall :rolleyes:) as it helped me to grow and learn. I know better now!
  • edited August 2010
    Thank you all. You've all helped me and I really appreciate it.
  • edited August 2010
    im 31 and I dont know anything and am foolish as can be. Confused. But ill tell you this much, at least we are trying to learn and putting out the effort.
    edited August 2010
    right on the money designer. It doesn't matter how old you are or where you are from, as long as you commit to what you believe in. Having the thought isn't enough, you need to put the effort in. By the way, you are not foolish for not knowing a lot about the dharma, or even if you are confused. I have been studying buddhism for 18 months or so and practicing on and off along the way. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of words, concepts and teachings lol. It may seem like such a grey area in your life at the moment, but if you keep going with the effort, it will soon start to slide into place :)
  • edited August 2010
    right on the money designer. It doesn't matter how old you are or where you are from, as long as you commit to what you believe in. Having the thought isn't enough, you need to put the effort in. By the way, you are not foolish for not knowing a lot about the dharma, or even if you are confused. I have been studying buddhism for 18 months or so and practicing on and off along the way. I felt like I was drowning in a sea of words, concepts and teachings lol. It may seem like such a grey area in your life at the moment, but if you keep going with the effort, it will soon start to slide into place :)

Thank you for your encouragement, you know... to know that you are lacking in knowledge is the first key to getting the knowledge, accepting the fact that I dont know. My poor little brain is trying to cope with all this info. :)