Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Think you're poor?

StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
edited August 2010 in Buddhism Today
This really puts things in perspective.

I live on disability, my income is approximately $8600 (US) per-year. I'm considered "poor" by American standards. But, according to the site listed above I'm still in wealthier than 86% of the world. My wife is on disability as well. Taking both of our incomes together this puts us at having more wealth than almost 90% of the world. I've long considered myself blessed to have had the good fortune to have been born into such a society where even someone "poor" like myself is still able to enjoy great stability, comfort and even luxury. This really drives the point home however.

Comments

• nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Wow that blows me away.I have just finished working in Britain and in 4 months earned close to GBP 7000.00.In my travels around the world I have known just how much more better off than others I have been.I mean not everyone can work 4 months a year and then take the other 8 months off,but the sliding scale really does blow my socks off.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    This is utter and complete rubbish.
    It doesn't take local cost of living into account, and its all relative.

I currently have a salary that apparently puts me in the top 4% of the world in earnings. That would be overwhelmingly wealthy - if I lived in Rwanda, for example. But I don't.

This scale doesn't take into account what your local living expenses are. This is just a way of poking people's guilt buttons.

I happen to live in one of the most expensive towns in my country, because my partner attends university there.

I fully financially support my partner and have diligently done so for the past 4 years, during his studies. Had it not been for the overwhelming unconditional generosity of some very kind friends, especially at the beginning of his studies, there is no way he could ever have achieved what he has.
    some of these friends are still out of pocket, and we owe several people their money back. I'm desperate to pay them back, but it will probably be another while before I can.
    But I will.
    Only now, that he has gained his degree, can my partner focus on building his chosen career, but it's been the hardest 4 years I've personally ever known, and we have had to change homes twice, sell belongings and move according to the rent we could afford to pay which currently means we live in what can only be kindly described as a hole. Because I earn just £100 more than the acceptably lowest limit, we do not qualify for any assistance, support or financial relaxation.
    We are up to our ears in debt, and my bank account is perpetually in the red. we do not own a car, and have a computer because it's been necessary for my partner to pursue his studies that way.

I could go on for reams and reams explaining, clarifying and justifying.
    I could add so much more to build a picture but I'm telling you - that calculator is simply fatuous and utterly misleading. It's designed to make you feel guilty for living in the so-called affluent west, but it's just wrong.
    It's utter rubbish.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Sorry if it offends you Fed. Indeed, it doesn't take living expenses into account, even still I'd imagine you're much better off than most people in Rwanda, even with your bank account perpetually in the red. That your "poverty" is out of choice rather than out of circumstance only emphasizes how fortunate you are. My wife and I are "poor" by American standars, but it's honestly hard for me to consider myself poor. I have ample amounts of food in the pantry at any given time. I have plenty of good, intact clothing (some of it even fashionable). I have a clean and dry roof over my head. I have a good vehicle. I live in a secure, stable environment. I have cell phones, I have TVs, I have computers, DVD players, etc. I have the luxury of not worrying about how I'm going to survive. I'm poor? Yeah, I don't think so.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    That your "poverty" is out of choice rather than out of circumstance only emphasizes how fortunate you are.

I don't think that their situation represents a conscious choice of poverty. While I do see your point about having more money than many people in the world, I think the real point is that the amount of income is relative to where you are living.
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    I don't think that their situation represents a conscious choice of poverty. While I do see your point about having more money than many people in the world, I think the real point is that the amount of income is relative to where you are living.
    I think what he means is that their situation is due to Frederica's husband deciding to attend a university, which is a choice.

Frederica is correct, we have to assess wealth in terms of buying power, which is conditioned upon cost of living, but the cost of living when compared on terms of equal affluence is not nearly as great as some make out. Much of the reason behind our higher cost of living has to do with greater affluence, i.e., we have comfortable homes, secure supplies of power, ease of transportation and communication, and a whole host of benefits that would be considered luxuries in some of the poorest countries.

Now, I understand that to a certain extent, the structure of our society demands these things of us, and so it is simply a part of the necessary reality we live in, but even granting these, we still receive benefit from these, a benefit that greatly enhances our quality of life, at least in terms of the procurement of basic necessities, and I would argue social and economic opportunity as well.

So, while I understand that it is necessary to take into account cost of living in these types of assessments, I am not convinced that it presents as significant a modification to our calculations as we may be led to believe upon first glance.
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »

Yes, and even with a low amount of income relative to where I'm living I am still much better off than most of the rest of the world. I'm sure the same is true for everyone of us here. The fact that we're even able to discuss this on the internet is testament to that.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Ok, well let's take that into account, shall we?

Takeahnase, how much is a McDonalds where you live?
    How much do you pay for a gallon of fuel?
    How much do you pay in income tax?
    How much rent to pay for a typical 2-bedroom condo, per calendar month?

Bear in mind my salary is prior all deductions...

let me tell you what we pay here, and the equivalent in Dollars:

Macdonalds big mac meal: normally just under £5.00. That's just over $7.50
    Price of one gallon of fuel, £7.00, that's around $11.00
    Standard income tax & deductions for my salary is 30% - I think yours is 15%.
    My rent, for a small, 2-bedroom apartment (ground floor, no garden, kitchen, sitting room/diner, Tiny - we have one 2-seater sofa, a chair and the tv in there, bathroom (bear in mind, standing in the middle of the kitchen and bathroom I can touch all 4 walls) is £875.00/PCM - that's $1350.00

To put it in a nutshell, whatever you pay as a figure in the USA, add 1 - 2.5 as a number and we pay that in pounds.

We have a higher cost of living than you do, for roughly the same salaries.
    I hate to say it, but the UK is one of the most expensive places to live, on the planet, and most Americans who have never been outside the USA (apparently 65% of US citizens don't possess a passport!) live a pretty insulated life, with little or no idea of really how good they do have it, over there.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    In Canada, which is a typical developed western society, both rich and poor have universal health care, safe drinking water, publicly funded primary and secondary education, closed sewers, easy access to technology and information, etc.. Things we take for granted.

Ive been dirt poor and struggling, middle class, and now lower middle class (post recession) and consider myself in all cases vastly wealthier than the majority in the south. I hear people say that the person living in a corrugated tin hut next to an open sewer in Mexico is "happier" because of community, religious belonging, ... eating lemon ice in the town square on a warm evening with the family .... and so forth, but, in the coming years it will be the north that builds walls to protect it's privileges from desperate migrating southerners, not the other way around.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I had to go to Haiti for work once. Spent about a week there in a small little very very very poor village. The people's houses were nothing more than little shacks built from garbage that they found somewhere. The bathroom was nothing more than the ditch on the side of the road. I literally had to walk thru a pig sty to get where I was going. The whole village reeked of urine and pig shit. What I found very interesting though was the fact that many of them were quite happy and very friendly people because they had food to eat and weren't starving to death. I guess the point is that just because someone is very poor does not necessarily mean they are unhappy.
  • edited August 2010
    Poor....... Really??? Think about the condition of people in eastern countries, there they don't get any money from the government. they have to beg to earn a living and they don't even get to eat a square meal per day.
    edited August 2010
    Sorry Fed, but I really don't think you're getting my point. The fact that you can post here makes you fortunate beyond your imagination. The fact that your partner can even pursue higher education makes you fortunate beyond your imagination. How many people in the world don't have the luxury of even basic education, let alone higher education? You talk about your small apartment with one sofa, one chair, one TV and two bedrooms, yet how many millions go to sleep every night in a shack pieced together from scraps of sheet metal with a dirt floor?

And yes, I know quite well how good I (and indeed all of us here) have it, hence this thread. Your implication otherwise makes me think that you're simply knee-jerk reacting rather than considering what I've actually said (almost makes me wonder if you've even bothered to fully read my posts).
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I have to agree, I am much more fortunate than most. I have a good job, a nice house with a bay view, a new car, and plenty of food. I'm actually quite happy with my life right now. My biggest hope is that in the long term I contribute something to teh welfare of everyone.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2010
    You can make soup for 4 days for the same price as one McDonalds meal. But Fed has a point that cost of living is also related to standard of living rather than just dollars....

8600 a year will buy you a lot more in michigan than it will in san fransisco or new york.
  • edited August 2010
    It's true that living costs are very low in Kolkata, but cheap food comes with no expiry dates and the constant risk of poisonous additives.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited August 2010
    In Canada, which is a typical developed western society, both rich and poor have universal health care

Yeah or so they say, until you actually get into an ER and have to wait 8 hours because the nurses felt like sleeping and ignoring you when you said you were getting worse and oops it turns out you have pancreatitis and should have been admitted immediately, and oh shit the one guy who is qualified to shove a camera down your throat is on vacation and, dammit, the MRI is broken but if you want you can travel down to the states and pay for it out-of-pocket...

And you can get in to see a doctor for free....... after waiting "probably 1-2 years" on their waiting list...

Yeah, Michael Moore didn't mention that crap.

Ok ok I totally agree, though. Costs of living here are fairly high here although not to the same degree as the UK. I'm on Assistance right now. I'm given $572/month for rent + all utilities for myself and my son. I don't think a place even exists for that cost here so I have to significantly dip into my personal basic needs funds. Yet I'm still well-off enough now that I'm comfortable helping out the local homeless Jesus reincarnate when I see him. I'm extremely grateful and blessed to live in such a place.
    edited August 2010
    Sorry Fed, but I really don't think you're getting my point. The fact that you can post here makes you fortunate beyond your imagination. The fact that your partner can even pursue higher education makes you fortunate beyond your imagination. How many people in the world don't have the luxury of even basic education, let alone higher education? You talk about your small apartment with one sofa, one chair, one TV and two bedrooms, yet how many millions go to sleep every night in a shack pieced together from scraps of sheet metal with a dirt floor?

And yes, I know quite well how good I (and indeed all of us here) have it, hence this thread. Your implication otherwise makes me think that you're simply knee-jerk reacting rather than considering what I've actually said (almost makes me wonder if you've even bothered to fully read my posts).

What you don't seem to realise is that actually, I'm not taking issue with your posts. What I'm taking issue with, is the brain behind that stupid link which is blatantly designed to hit everybody's guilt buttons in a "woo-hoo, I earn far too much I am so rich, here have the lot!" kind of way. It is blatantly completely and totally inaccurate, and yet it's supposed to make us dig in our pockets an donate?
    I have less than £5.00 to last me until next Wednesday. How much would they like?
  • edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Yeah or so they say, until you actually get into an ER and have to wait 8 hours because the nurses felt like sleeping and ignoring you when you said you were getting worse and oops it turns out you have pancreatitis and should have been admitted immediately, and oh shit the one guy who is qualified to shove a camera down your throat is on vacation and, dammit, the MRI is broken but if you want you can travel down to the states and pay for it out-of-pocket...
    And that's when you wish you had private medical insurance. (from before you developed the condition, of course) That is unless you've got psychological trauma and the insurance people, sensing weakness, refuse to pay a cent, sending you a hundred thousand forms instead.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Fede may be right that the method for comparing relative wealth is flawed - after all it is "internet truth", a category which should be treated with great care.What she does point up, very clearly, is that we need a much more nuanced yardstick. We also need to make the clear distinction between perceived poverty and indigence.

When feeling poor because of debts and commitments leaving too much month at the end of the money, I have found it well to situate my discomfort on Maslow's famous pyramid. I usually find that I can get a meal, am housed and at a livable temperature. The 'poverty' that I experience is only financial.

Fede argues that the calculator or comparator is there to make us 'feel guilty'. Right again! We should. Whether we are Christian, Buddhist or humanist, have we the right not to feel guilty that so many starve or suffer and die from treatable diseases because of protectionist national policies? Are we not our brothers' and sisters' keepers? Doesn't the Buddha tell us that we should support and aid each other? Isn't it integral to our stumbling along his Noble Eightfold Path?

The comparator may be wrong but it serves to remind us that we should hold in our minds and hearts that, however hard we may imagine our lot to be, we are part of the great body of humanity and that most (yes, most!) of that body is sicker and hungrier than we are.
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    What you don't seem to realise is that actually, I'm not taking issue with your posts. What I'm taking issue with, is the brain behind that stupid link which is blatantly designed to hit everybody's guilt buttons in a "woo-hoo, I earn far too much I am so rich, here have the lot!" kind of way. It is blatantly completely and totally inaccurate, and yet it's supposed to make us dig in our pockets an donate?
    I have less than £5.00 to last me until next Wednesday. How much would they like?

If you are not taking issue with my posts then what was that "Americans don't know how lucky they have it" dig about?

The comparator may be wrong but it serves to remind us that we should hold in our minds and hearts that, however hard we may imagine our lot to be, we are part of the great body of humanity and that most (yes, most!) of that body is sicker and hungrier than we are.

This....exactly my point in making this thread.
    edited August 2010
    If you are not taking issue with my posts then what was that "Americans don't know how lucky they have it" dig about?
    Because I would suspect that the link probably originated there (although I could of course be wrong, admittedly) but also, I have repeatedly had discussions similar to this one on other forums (predominantly frequented, not to say inhabited by Americans, many of which had absolutely no idea how expensive the UK is as a country). I have also spoken to several Americans who came over to the UK on holiday and were horrified at how little their money bought them. Truly, I mean really aghast. They simply (they admitted) had absolutely no concept of how much dearer everything is here.

Look, I'm sorry. I admit, things like this really rile me, and to be perfectly honest "now is not a good time" for me, so I shamedly admit I permitted my temper to run away with me, and thus, I do apologise. But this kind of financial propaganda (and it is just that) is so unfair, and plays upon people's good nature. I think it grossly unfair, and I simply refuse to take such a thing at face value.

And here's something else I learnt on BBC Radio 2 last night.
    The people touting for business on behalf of Charities here, (Charity Muggers, or 'Chuggers') on the street (they convince you to set up a direct debit) actually cost the charity MORE to pay them a fee, than you donate in one year. They are freelance collectors, who demand payment. So your annual donation, actually goes towards paying them their salary, for collecting a direct debit mandate off you!

so before I start clicking here and there to donate, I want to make sure that what little I do give - goes where it is intended!
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    Yeah or so they say, until .......

No argument here. The advantages are the advantages of general societal wealth, and that can't be denied. It doesn't mean we have any less Dukkha. Old Age, Disease, and Death are of course equally distributed, one way or another, sooner or later.

Incidentally Valtiel spellchecks as Volatile.:D
    edited August 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Because I would suspect that the link probably originated there (although I could of course be wrong, admittedly)

Eh, the default currency is the Pound, so I figured it was British. Could be Ghanaian for all I know though.
    Look, I'm sorry. I admit, things like this really rile me, and to be perfectly honest "now is not a good time" for me, so I shamedly admit I permitted my temper to run away with me, and thus, I do apologise. But this kind of financial propaganda (and it is just that) is so unfair, and plays upon people's good nature. I think it grossly unfair, and I simply refuse to take such a thing at face value.

Fair enough.
    And here's something else I learnt on BBC Radio 2 last night.
    The people touting for business on behalf of Charities here, (Charity Muggers, or 'Chuggers') on the street (they convince you to set up a direct debit) actually cost the charity MORE to pay them a fee, than you donate in one year. They are freelance collectors, who demand payment. So your annual donation, actually goes towards paying them their salary, for collecting a direct debit mandate off you!

so before I start clicking here and there to donate, I want to make sure that what little I do give - goes where it is intended!

Personally, whenever I donate to a charity I prefer to donate locally, and in person.
  • edited August 2010
    I think a lot of Westerners have the appearance of wealth, but there's so much debt and stress behind that appearance. The most basic luxury of all, a home, takes most of our working lives to earn. We can live in places, drive cars, and have shiny things that aren't really our own. Yes, of course its better than living in Rwanda, but Westerners aren't as rich as they look.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited August 2010
    just because things are cheaper here doesn't mean that we have an easier time earning a fair wage. unemployment rates in my state are 3% less than double what it is in the UK. 7.8% vs. 13.1% (which is actually down from 14.9% just a few months ago). indeed, most of my family members have lost their jobs and are now struggling. two of my very immediate family members have been searching for jobs for years now, only to find a completely over saturated market. what pearl said about debt is absolutely correct. i don't know what it is like in other countries, but here, most everything is bought on credit.

i can see both sides of the argument. yes, this "rich test" is a ploy to make you feel guilty that the money you spend on a big mac meal could have provided water for an entire village for a day (or whatever)... but doesn't it also make you think about how completely lucky you are? at least, that's what it did for me. by no means am i rich, and i definitely live pay check to pay check... but even so, i see homeless people every day and feel thankful that i live in the "comfortable poverty" of america (meaning, i have a roof over my head, transportation, and a job). and even then, the homeless here have soup kitchens and shelters that are run on donations, so even these people could be called luckier than those starving in underdeveloped countries where they walk miles just to get to a truck delivering basic nutrients because their own soil is too infertile for them to sustain themselves agriculturally. i think these people would feel completely blessed for a chance to struggle as we struggle in modern society.

http://www.hrmguide.co.uk/jobmarket/unemployment.htm

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST260000&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate+in+michigan
  • Lets see, I have got plumbing, heat, a refrigerator, clean water, gas, air conditioner and electric. Also money for rent and food. Yet, my $950 a month is considered at the poorer end of america. Hell no. I realize I an rich to a great majority of the world.
  • In America, even our poor are relatively well off compared to the poor and even the middle class in third world countries.

We have clean water, sanitation, paved roads and highway maintenance, public safety officers, hospitals, libraries, food stamps, cash assistance, homeless shelters and charity organizations that provide free meals, public transportation.

Most of our working poor have roofs over their heads, and TV sets.

I always had kind of a poverty consciousness until I traveled to India and Nepal on pilgrimage.
  • True wealth is not measured in dollars or pounds.

• Yeah or so they say, until you actually get into an ER and have to wait 8 hours because the nurses felt like sleeping and ignoring you when you said you were getting worse and oops it turns out you have pancreatitis and should have been admitted immediately, and oh shit the one guy who is qualified to shove a camera down your throat is on vacation and, dammit, the MRI is broken but if you want you can travel down to the states and pay for it out-of-pocket...

And you can get in to see a doctor for free....... after waiting "probably 1-2 years" on their waiting list...

Yeah, Michael Moore didn't mention that crap.
    I have lived in Canada for forty years now in Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg and the GTA. Even when I had some suspected heart issues and needed a cardiolite stress test, echocardiogram, etc. I had no problem with scheduling these at the hospital. My guru had Stage IV congestive heart failure, multiple amputations, diabetes, angina, etc. and always received care quickly. Because many of his issues were pre-existing conditions he would never have qualified for insurance in the US. He would never have been able to afford the level of care he received in the US.

I have never been on a waiting list for a GP. I would think that Michael Moore didn't mention that crap because that crap doesn't happen with any more regularity in Canada than in the US. Try an HMO or Medicaid on for size if you want to see bean counters making decisions for care rather than doctors.

In most of the Global South, they do not have any access to even elementary modern medical care. This is such a precious thing we have in the developed world. As long as I have food, a roof over my head and healthcare, I feel wealthy beyond measure.
  • edited December 2010
    Buddha Sakyamuni was both super poor and super rich. He was poor as he lived blissfully in one meal a day through begging and enjoying without a roof over him. He renounced from his throne as ruler to seek solution for true bliss and harmony. Upon true graduation of supreme realization, he did not return to be a ruler, and also did not ask money etc from his father for donation. He also did not persuade his father on donation. He travelled around on request to impart buddha dharma. Worldly matter may relieve suffering temporarily but is not a super long term solution. May all be blessed with Buddha dharma and be liberated :rant: :cool: