Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life is like a game?

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Anyone else feel this way? Like, from one point of view, you're just participating in this game. A very entertaining game, but a game nonetheless. This may be a delusion, but it sure seems to be true sometimes. I enjoy the show either way, though. :)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    game doesn't resonate so much with me, probably because i don't really like to play games. show (tv, movie, theater, etc.) does ... and how! (check out my signature.) :-)
  • edited September 2010
    rachMiel wrote: »
    game doesn't resonate so much with me, probably because i don't really like to play games. show (tv, movie, theater, etc.) does ... and how! (check out my signature.) :-)

I like your way of looking at it, too. I think I use game simply because I feel like an active participant.
  • edited September 2010
    let me guess: video gamer? ;-)
  • edited September 2010
    let me guess: video gamer? ;-)

haha i've been known to play some videogames here and there
  • edited September 2010
    ;-) makes sense to see life as a game then. i'm a watcher -- movies, tv, birds in my backyard, you name it! -- which probably goes a long way to explaining my signature. :-)
  • edited September 2010
    ;-) makes sense to see life as a game then. i'm a watcher -- movies, tv, birds in my backyard, you name it! -- which probably goes a long way to explaining my signature. :-)

I guess it's kind of a combination of both. When i'm feeling particularly egoless I see it as more of a movie. As I get more into my poing of view, I see it as a game. I think movie is a better description, actually. Or perhaps i'm overthinking it lol
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    The analogy of your life just being a movie, has been used by many Buddhist teachers and authors....
    You're encouraged to just sit back and let it unfold, because it's not 'real' anyway.... accept the twists and turns of the plot and see "reality" for what it is - and isn't.

Enjoy the popcorn.
  • edited September 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    Anyone else feel this way? Like, from one point of view, you're just participating in this game. A very entertaining game, but a game nonetheless. This may be a delusion, but it sure seems to be true sometimes. I enjoy the show either way, though. :)

I would say life is more like a (William Shakespeare) play than a game:
    "All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players;
    They have their exits and their entrances;
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
    Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms;
    And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
    And shining morning face, creeping like snail
    Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
    Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
    Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation
    Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
    In fair round belly with good capon lin'd,
    With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
    Full of wise saws and modern instances;
    And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
    Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
    With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
    His youthful hose, well sav'd, a world too wide
    For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
    Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
    And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
    That ends this strange eventful history,
    Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
    Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything."
    :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2010

Not really because in a "game", the suffering, death and destruction actually isn't real. But in life, it very much is real to those who are experiencing it. Now if you are talking about what is going on "inside your head", then yes it can be a movie or game that is entertaining. :) But if you look out into the world, it's quite saddening and not very enjoyable. :(
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I wish life was like a game, it would have a reset button :P damn the past, damn it to a hell realm!

Who is to say this is real... yes it seems real, just as a dream seems real until you wake up. This is all a delusion, an illusion of perception, maybe this is a dream.. We are not to know :O
  • edited September 2010

I don't know about it being a game...but I think we tend to take a lot of things far too seriously in life sometimes.

• edited September 2010
    Aww I just made a thread kind of like this that I could have been posted here... >.<

Anywho, I'm totally with you Dazzle. I'm wondering if people should take life seriously at all...
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I used to get depressed about things, but then I started seeing life as somewhat of a movie. If I was cornered in a situation and the circumstances seemed bad I just kind of wanted to see how it would turn out rather than worry about it. I also had a friend who was suicidal and I told her "I don't walk out on movies." at the time she thought it was a brilliant way to look at it and told me to remind her of that sometimes.
    edited September 2010
    If people did not take life seriously then things would not get done, people would suffer/die and it would be an all round bad place to live in my opinion
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    If people did not take life seriously then things would not get done, people would suffer/die and it would be an all round bad place to live in my opinion

Agreed.

If we are too silly there can be no progress; spiritually, socially or otherwise. If we are too serious then life becomes a chore. We need to take life just the right amount of serious for optimal results.
    edited September 2010
    There's a difference between seriously and too seriously. You shouldn't be at the extreme of not caring about anything and you shouldn't take it to the extreme of caring too much about everything. You can dedicate your life to a cause, but you still shouldn't take it too seriously.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, you said it better than I did, Shift.
    edited September 2010
    The middle way once again. There seems to be many different situations where this phrase crops up in life. I heard about the middle way early on in my practice, as we all have but then I see it related to so many aspects of life
  • edited September 2010
    Have read all the posts here and found them most interesting! :)

As for life being a game, I've always thought that good analogies could be found in Chess (in a tactical sense) and Backgammon ( because it introduces the element of chance into play.)

I think it was the modern day humorist/satirist George Carlin who said words along the lines of - Life is sheer entertainment. Those who do not understand this just haven't been paying attention.

Even so, I think the greatest game of all (and analogies be damned! :))
    Is the grand game of Life itself. :):)
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    In a different way, the way of life suggested by Buddhist teachings can also be seen as giving up the tendency to play " the game" .
    Seeing that nothing is worth holding on to as it is not really ours anyway - no material thing, no status or worldly value such as winning, means we are less willing to engage in behaviours which participate in the game. By looking into the way the mind actually is, we see that nothing really belongs to us anyway - there is nobody static to own anything over time ( any emotion we feel comes from within us and is more about where we are at at that moment rather than external circumstances ).
    Being able to remain open and willing to learn from the ups and downs and the way things happen to be moment to moment - the irritations and problems as well as the good times and happiness is less "gamey" than resisting, avoiding and ultimately rejecting life.
    My experience has been a growing tendency to be able to give up the tendency to control and manipulate - trying to change the world and make it into what you want it to be.
  • edited September 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    In a different way, the way of life suggested by Buddhist teachings can also be seen as giving up the tendency to play " the game" .
    Seeing that nothing is worth holding on to as it is not really ours anyway - no material thing, no status or worldly value such as winning, means we are less willing to engage in behaviours which participate in the game. By looking into the way the mind actually is, we see that nothing really belongs to us anyway - there is nobody static to own anything over time ( any emotion we feel comes from within us and is more about where we are at at that moment rather than external circumstances ).
    Being able to remain open and willing to learn from the ups and downs and the way things happen to be moment to moment - the irritations and problems as well as the good times and happiness is less "gamey" than resisting, avoiding and ultimately rejecting life.
    My experience has been a growing tendency to be able to give up the tendency to control and manipulate - trying to change the world and make it into what you want it to be.

Agree fully with what you say, but my reply is that it's not weather you win or lose - it's how you play the game.
    That, for me, is the way in which I relate to life being a game, a truly glorious game to be played as beautifully and skillfully as we are able.
    (All glorious thoughts of course, but we're all debating within the dubious paradigm of relating life to a game.)
    But it's fun. :)
    Play on!! :lol:
  • edited September 2010
    If everything is a game what's NOT a game? anyone?:D

If life is a game then, it occurs to me, that the term 'game' becomes useless.

I WIN
    edited September 2010
    lol imagine if this was all a highly advanced and sophisticated version of the sims where we are all being controlled by beings sat at a computer or something. lol, random
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited September 2010
    This is just fun thinking, but life seems to be play. Life looks like an endless spontaneous playfulness. When we freeze it with "meaning" we suffer, otherwise this playfulness has a base note of joyful-arising. Being is joyful-arising, complete and full.
  • edited September 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Agreed.

If we are too silly there can be no progress; spiritually, socially or otherwise. If we are too serious then life becomes a chore. We need to take life just the right amount of serious for optimal results.

I wonder if seriousness is really a requisite of getting things done at all...

When someone tells you to listen closely and pay attention to something, REALLY pay attention, what do you do? Your body tenses up, your ears might stiffen, you might clench your jaw a bit. None of that has anything to do with listening better.

Think about what parents often say to their kids "you're not taking this seriously!". It's almost as if this is a bad thing, an insult. What does being serious actually do? We teach our children how to be afraid, so that they'll take care of themselves, because we are ABSOLUTELY 100% positive that life MATTERS. Not only does it matter, it's SERIOUS.

Does it matter? Is it serious?

What would happen if life didn't matter? What if there was no such thing as death? Would people still live the same way they do now if they didn't have to guard and protect their life? Would people take life seriously?
    edited September 2010
    Gil Fronsdal game an example of going to a humorous art exhibit. People who put the works up on a pedestal and analyzed "what the artist was trying to do", missed the point of what the artist was trying to do. Same with life, you can easily miss the point of it.
  • edited September 2010
    Marmalade wrote: »
    Does it matter? Is it serious?

What would happen if life didn't matter? What if there was no such thing as death? Would people still live the same way they do now if they didn't have to guard and protect their life? Would people take life seriously?

For a start I wouldn't bother typing out this response, and neither would anyone else. Secondly, of course life is cheap, and doesn't matter very much if at all, depending of course where you were born.

'What if's' aside never mind 'death', how about quality of life? We can be thankful that every inventor, innovator and great mind in history took life seriously, because if they didn't we would all be stuck in a primordial pattern, doomed to scramble around in a likely hostile environment, occasionally preyed upon by other species, and usually dying at an average of 33 years old.

The devil may care, but the odds are not good. Thankfully we have medical science so we don't all die of smallpox, and modern midwifery so that many young women are spared death during childbirth.
  • edited September 2010
    you can easily miss the point of it.

Do you mean to suggest that there's some inherent meaning to life?
    edited September 2010
    No, you're taking the words too seriously. =)

I suppose having a false perception on something that may or may not be there still counts as missing the point.
  • edited September 2010
    I think that if you have realized fully that life was only a dream, it would be like looking at the dream/life in the morning when you have just woke up. Such 'Wisdom' would take the sting out of it.

Awake in the dream...perhaps it is more like serious play.

Love and peace,
    S9
  • edited September 2010
    No, you're taking the words too seriously. =)

I suppose having a false perception on something that may or may not be there still counts as missing the point.

Oh yeah, that old chestnut. The intended meaning and the actual meaning get mixed up, and subsequently, many desirable and undesirable outcomes come to pass.

So people enjoy the benefits of the imagination, the power of fantasy and belief, which creates a more colourful world in which to live. However your point may be to miss the point, in which case works of fiction, movies, books, CD.s toys, trips, ice cream and other flights of fancy have no value or real purpose.
  • edited September 2010
    I think that life is like a movie/isn't that important, but it's one of the illusions that keeps the world functioning. Most people wouldn't take to that info very well. That's why we learn/live dharma, because we need to understand the benefits of living the right way even if we don't "have" to.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    we need to understand the benefits of living the right way even if we don't "have" to.

Agreed. Also the opposite is true. We need to learn the consequences of living the "wrong way".

Being aware of the consequences of our actions is the foundation upon which we build an ethical way of life. If we think "damn the consequences" then we are not taking life seriously enough. If we live in fear of making wrong choices and regret about past choices then this would be taking life too seriously. A healthy respect for actions having consequences is taking life "seriously enough", (in my opinion, of course).

This is one example (ethics/morality) of what I mean, Marmalade, when I say we need to take life (at least somewhat) seriously. I didn't mean that we need to be tense or fearful, that would be TOO serious.

Marmalade wrote:
    When someone tells you to listen closely and pay attention to something, REALLY pay attention, what do you do? Your body tenses up, your ears might stiffen, you might clench your jaw a bit. None of that has anything to do with listening better.

It is interesting that you mention "paying attention" as an example of taking life "too seriously". At the start of a Sutta the Buddha often says "listen and pay close attention". Why does he say this? Maybe it isn't actually the words of the Buddha, it could have been added on afterwards...But...I have found that intentionally trying to pay attention when I listen to or read a Sutta that I get more from it and I remember its contents. Also, the first instructions in the Anapanasati Sutta are to "Make [your] body erect and set up mindfulness".

I think I know what you mean though, when children are told to pay attention in school it makes then develop an aversion to school work. But there is a key difference here between the school kid and the person who wants to learn the Dhamma...that is the school kid does not want to be in his situation, the person listening to Dhamma (presumably) does want to be there. If we want to be here, then paying attention is easy. If we don't want to or we aren't interested in the subject then it is a chore.

Think how that same child who was struggling to pay attention might be if he is watching Avatar or whatever his favourite movie is for the first time, no doubt he will be glued to the screen.
  • edited September 2010
    For a start I wouldn't bother typing out this response, and neither would anyone else. Secondly, of course life is cheap, and doesn't matter very much if at all, depending of course where you were born.

'What if's' aside never mind 'death', how about quality of life? We can be thankful that every inventor, innovator and great mind in history took life seriously, because if they didn't we would all be stuck in a primordial pattern, doomed to scramble around in a likely hostile environment, occasionally preyed upon by other species, and usually dying at an average of 33 years old.

The devil may care, but the odds are not good. Thankfully we have medical science so we don't all die of smallpox, and modern midwifery so that many young women are spared death during childbirth.

Would you rather live 100 years of seriousness, or one single day of playfulness? Can happiness be measured in units of time?
    Agreed. Also the opposite is true. We need to learn the consequences of living the "wrong way".

Being aware of the consequences of our actions is the foundation upon which we build an ethical way of life. If we think "damn the consequences" then we are not taking life seriously enough. If we live in fear of making wrong choices and regret about past choices then this would be taking life too seriously. A healthy respect for actions having consequences is taking life "seriously enough", (in my opinion, of course).

This is one example (ethics/morality) of what I mean, Marmalade, when I say we need to take life (at least somewhat) seriously. I didn't mean that we need to be tense or fearful, that would be TOO serious.

It is interesting that you mention "paying attention" as an example of taking life "too seriously". At the start of a Sutta the Buddha often says "listen and pay close attention". Why does he say this? Maybe it isn't actually the words of the Buddha, it could have been added on afterwards...But...I have found that intentionally trying to pay attention when I listen to or read a Sutta that I get more from it and I remember its contents. Also, the first instructions in the Anapanasati Sutta are to "Make [your] body erect and set up mindfulness".

I think I know what you mean though, when children are told to pay attention in school it makes then develop an aversion to school work. But there is a key difference here between the school kid and the person who wants to learn the Dhamma...that is the school kid does not want to be in his situation, the person listening to Dhamma (presumably) does want to be there. If we want to be here, then paying attention is easy. If we don't want to or we aren't interested in the subject then it is a chore.

Think how that same child who was struggling to pay attention might be if he is watching Avatar or whatever his favourite movie is for the first time, no doubt he will be glued to the screen.

Deep down, you feel that ethics/morals/truth is important.

Is that a fair assumption?

What is importance? Is it not the belief that something is significant, it matters, and that we should be serious about it?

Why does the idea of dying scare people? Why does the idea of infinite sorrow and suffering make people feel bad? If you found out your entire life was just a dream, would it make you feel uneasy at all? Be honest.

It's because you feel like you have something to lose. You place significance in truth, justice, heaven, nirvana, happiness,your own life, whatever. You make it important. Objectivity is an illusion. There is nothing that isn't you.

The whole game is that you're trying to protect/guard something that isn't there!

It's just a ride!
  • edited September 2010
    I agree that IN REALITY there is no "good" or "bad." The problem, however, is that if you live a "bad" life(according to buddhadharma)you will get negative karma which will manifest itself in your world. So, even though there may not be a reason to live in accordance with the dharma, it is in our as well as everyone else's best interest that we do.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Marmalade wrote: »
    Would you rather live 100 years of seriousness, or one single day of playfulness? Can happiness be measured in units of time?

Honestly I'd probably prefer the single day of playfulness. But preference does not equal usefulness. Ajahn Chah said that "If you are still following your like and dislikes, you are not practicing the Buddha's Teaching". I definitely don't always practice the Buddha's Teaching.
    Deep down, you feel that ethics/morals/truth is important.

Is that a fair assumption?

Yes
    What is importance? Is it not the belief that something is significant, it matters, and that we should be serious about it?

I believe ethics are important because they safeguard ourselves and others from harm.
    Why does the idea of dying scare people? Why does the idea of infinite sorrow and suffering make people feel bad? If you found out your entire life was just a dream, would it make you feel uneasy at all? Be honest.

Honestly I would think "What a relief! Nothing matters!" - but I do not believe that life is a dream. I believe that what we think, say and do does matter.
    It's because you feel like you have something to lose. You place significance in truth, justice, heaven, nirvana, happiness,your own life, whatever. You make it important.

It is because I believe that the way we live our life has consequences.
    Objectivity is an illusion. There is nothing that isn't you.

There is nothing that IS a self. All dhammas are anatta.
    The whole game is that you're trying to protect/guard something that isn't there!

It's just a ride!

On one level I agree. But on another level, as long as we are putthujanas, there is certainly a usefulness to taking the Four Noble Truths seriously.
  • edited September 2010
    Honestly I'd probably prefer the single day of playfulness. But preference does not equal usefulness. Ajahn Chah said that "If you are still following your like and dislikes, you are not practicing the Buddha's Teaching". I definitely don't always practice the Buddha's Teachings.

Not to go against what someone more learned in buddhism than I said, but i'm not sure if I agree with that. I agree that over-indulgence in ones likes is against the buddha's teachings, but if doing what "you" like brings "you" and potentially others happiness I don't see what's wrong with it just cuz u like it.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I think what Ajahn Chah meant here was that the Buddha teaches us that if we want to realize "Ultimate Happiness" then we need to practice the Noble Eightfold Path. If we just follow our habits of liking and disliking, and following those wherever they go, then we aren't cultivating mindfulness or the restraint which is sometimes needed on the Path. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing something you like, especially if you are a layperson, but it is not necessarily liberating either.

When we talk about happiness we need to be specific. Happiness in a mundane sense is impermanent. The common strategy is to maximize this type of happiness. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with this, and I admit I use this strategy too. But "Ultimate Happiness" (i.e. Cessation of Suffering/3rd Noble Truth) is only brought about through practicing the Noble Eightfold Path. Sometimes we might like practice, sometimes we might dislike practice. But the Path remains the same even when our likes and dislikes change.
  • edited September 2010
    On one level I agree. But on another level, as long as we are putthujanas, there is certainly a usefulness to taking the Four Noble Truths seriously.

Taking things seriously isn't bad/wrong, it's just unnecessary. Can't one consider, even follow the noble truths without being serious about them? What does being serious actually do?

There's a story about a man on a plane taking off who becomes nervous as the plane speeds up, but doesn't lift off the ground. He sees that there isn't much runway left and becomes more anxious as the plane continues forward. He begins pulling his seat belt up, almost as if an attempt to lift the entire plane up into the air.

Ridiculous, right? There's no way the man could lift the plane up but he does it anyway. Maybe it was a way to comfort himself, to deal with stress? Maybe he didn't even realize he was doing it at all?

Pulling the seat belt up becomes a habit. We do it so long we forget that we can even let go of the seat belt. Then we wonder why we're so tense and anxious all the time. Again, there's nothing necessarily wrong/bad about this.

It's fine to play the game; the problem is when people forget that they are playing a game. They start to take it seriously, then get nervous when the game is about to end. They get so used to playing they can't imagine doing anything else. Some people will do anything to keep the game going indefinitely.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Nervousness does not equal seriousness. Taking something seriously means, in my opinion, that we consider our choices carefully. I think I have said all that needs to be said regarding this.

I get the point you are trying to make though and I agree. There is no need to worry. Agreed.
  • edited September 2010
    I think what Ajahn Chah meant here was that the Buddha teaches us that if we want to realize "Ultimate Happiness" then we need to practice the Noble Eightfold Path. If we just follow our habits of liking and disliking, and following those wherever they go, then we aren't cultivating mindfulness or the restraint which is sometimes needed on the Path. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing something you like, especially if you are a layperson, but it is not necessarily liberating either.

When we talk about happiness we need to be specific. Happiness in a mundane sense is impermanent. The common strategy is to maximize this type of happiness. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with this, and I admit I use this strategy too. But "Ultimate Happiness" (i.e. Cessation of Suffering/3rd Noble Truth) is only brought about through practicing the Noble Eightfold Path. Sometimes we might like practice, sometimes we might dislike practice. But the Path remains the same even when our likes and dislikes change.

I agree the eightfold path is the most important thing, all I mean is that if doing something you like doesn't involve going against the path then it doesn't go against the buddha's teachings, imo.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I agree the eightfold path is the most important thing, all I mean is that if doing something you like doesn't involve going against the path then it doesn't go against the buddha's teachings, imo.

Agreed. :)
  • edited September 2010
    I wish life was like Scott Pilgrim vs The World, (see the movie or read the comics) :P
  • edited September 2010
    Marmalade,

I don’t think you have to tell someone that is interested in a topic to pay attention, interest and attention, like you have said, goes hand and hand. I believe the schools today have lost track of this point, and don’t try to interest the children but rather bully them into attending to a subject.

Paying attention to paying attention can act as an obstacle to what is being attended to, ‘the mind being one pointed.’

I do however find we often move too swiftly through new information, most times, and by simply slowing down just a little, things are more likely to take root and to grow.

Peace and love,
    S9
  • edited September 2010
    I think that if we put forth a good effort and adapt appropriately to circumstances within our personal now, or to what is actually taking place, that is enough. We are not in charge of the outcomes. (Outcomes are way too complex, a matrix, and certainly not within our power.)

We can only wait until the outcomes manifest as the new now, look closely, and do it all over again.

Too often we run out ahead of ourselves, and try to deal with what hasn’t arrived yet; the future. This is certainly a recipe for anxiety (AKA fear of the future), and a feeling of powerlessness.

Very often most given moments are manageable, and when they are not, well “This too will pass.”

I learned this difficult lesson when dealing with heavy physical pain, a great teacher. Taking on the possibility of all future pain would certainly be insurmountable, beat us down.

In the game of life, we can only throw the dice, make our best move with what arrives, and wait until it is our turn to throw the dice again.

Peace and love,
    S9
  • edited September 2010
    In the game of life, we can only throw the dice, make our best move with what arrives, and wait until it is our turn to throw the dice again.

Nicely put... looking for certainties in this life brings with it a lot of dissappointments and unnecessary suffering.

Kind regards... :)