Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

consciousness and not-self

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Here's something i'm confused about. Personally, I tend to believe the universe is made up of a universal consciousness that causes it to be what it is. But then I read that consciousness was not self. But then I read a thing by the dalai lama where he said that one of the common buddhist ideas is that we're a consciousness. So when the buddha says we're not consciousness does he mean that i'm not a consciousness that is separate from other consciousness'?

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    When you say "consciousness" here you seem to be referring to the idea of "MIND" or "Pure Awareness". Some hold the view that there is an eternal timeless Mind Essence that is to the world what clay is to all the different shaped pots, or water is to waves. This view is however, a view, a concept. In practice we are taught to not reify such concepts and grasp at an "Absolute". We are taught to let go. In practice wrong view gives way to right view, right view gives way to experiential insight that is not reducable to view. This is why the focus of teaching is on suffering and the cessation of suffering, and not the (tail chasing) pursuit of an ontological absolute.

Others may have another take on this but there is usually agreement that grasping at an ultimate thing, essence, principle, etc. no matter how profoundly subtle, is off the mark, even if this concept is a negative one defined only as "not this" and "not that". A subtle negative concept of an absolute is more easily clung to because it is not recognized as such.
  • edited October 2010
    Richard- what about "primordial wisdom" in Mahayana/Vajrayana? Trungpa taught it. Pema Chodron teaches it. Briefly, I think it works, with a whole lot of qualification- or with a whole lot of un-qualification, if you know what I mean. I may write a big long post on it later...
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    "Self" and "consciousness" are not the same thing. Consciousness continues. Self is impermanent.
  • edited October 2010
    Agreed.
    edited October 2010
    I'm not saying there is or isn't a primordial anything, I'm just saying that there is, as Trungpa puts it, the narrow path that must be trod. That path involves seeing the arising and passing of thought over and over again with discipline. When thought is not identified with and attached too, what becomes of "primordial....."? All that can be said skillfully is that there is cessation of suffering. So I'm not taking an ontological position against these teachings, because they are not an ontological position, they are skillful means.

I believe, and may be wrong on this, that many Buddhists mistake dwelling on a subtle negative concept of the absolute for realization of "The unconditioned", that was the point of the 'Emptiness sickness thread"
  • edited October 2010
    I think this is unconjecturable no? Everyone will have different ideas about these words, and there is no end to seeking the correct answer to this question.

I know that consciousness is a trippy thing, and that it's pretty trippy how my whole life I was living with some trippy and ridiculous concepts of self. But I still cannot understand it, so I just try my best to act wisely.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Everyone will have different ideas about these words, and there is no end to seeking the correct answer to this question.

how about
    learn (read or listen again) what are the six elements (apo, thejo, vayo, patavi, avakasa-akasa, vinnana)
    think over them
    and try to grasp them within
    six elements are changing always (anicca)

learn (read or listen again) what are the sense bases (internal and external)
    think over them
    sense bases are made with six elements
    sense bases bring suffering (dukka)

learn (read or listen again) what are the five aggregates
    think over them
    five aggregates are the results of the act of sense bases
    in five aggregates there is no person/I/you (anatta)
  • edited October 2010
    The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.
    Clarity.
    So it is.”
    edited October 2010
    .....and what is the complete realization of Emptiness ? It is realizing the self-luminous freedom and perfection of Form (Bodymind and World), ..... alone and unwitnessed, unfolding without obstruction.
  • edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    .....and what is the complete realization of Emptiness ? It is realizing the self-luminous freedom and perfection of Form (Bodymind and World), ..... alone and unwitnessed, unfolding without obstruction.

Word.
  • edited October 2010
    I feel like the truth is not thinkable. As in, often it appears that there are 2 options. The truth is neither.
    edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I feel like the truth is not thinkable. As in, often it appears that there are 2 options. The truth is neither.
    Hi Journey. What SherabDorje and I were referring to, and is pointed to by the Sutra he quoted, is experiential practice where dualistic thinking is let-go-of. This letting-go-of includes letting-go the notion of an objective truth beyond thought. This is why the measure used in practice is suffering and non-suffering, and not an ontological assertion. This practice requires passing through certain disciplines that cannot be bypassed, and why Sangha support is so helpful, if you can find it. This discipline involves, as I mentioned earlier, Sitting, seeing, and letting-go-of, thought, over and over and over again, single-mindedly with no other activity, just that process. It is a commitment of years. Without going through this practice, it is not possible to realize non-conceptual insight of 'Emptiness" with any stability, because your experience will be picked-up by unconscious conceptualization. There will be times of non-conceptual experiencing prior to this practice, but the mind is conditioned to sieze upon it and conceptualize. People sometimes swear up and down that they are not subject to this, but it is true. This is why Zen teachers are so notorious for saying "shut up and sit". After practicing regularly and attending retreats going back to 1989, I am still just coming to stable practice where there is "sitting without wobbling" and I still have a trainload of habit energy to work through.
    ..... So I guess what I'm saying here is practice, practice, practice. there is no way around it.
  • edited October 2010
    Here's something i'm confused about. Personally, I tend to believe the universe is made up of a universal consciousness that causes it to be what it is. But then I read that consciousness was not self. But then I read a thing by the dalai lama where he said that one of the common buddhist ideas is that we're a consciousness. So when the buddha says we're not consciousness does he mean that i'm not a consciousness that is separate from other consciousness'?

Maybe you should accept that there is indeed no self?

If you think you are consciousness, you limit youself to being that consciousness and also seperated youself from all other parts of you such as the mind, body, world.

I am nothing and i become everything. That's the wisdom that i received.

That is my own experience and truth so it can be right or wrong but my words are coming straight from my own experience rather than words coming from others' mouths.
  • edited October 2010
    iikii wrote: »
    Maybe you should accept that there is indeed no self?

If you think you are consciousness, you limit youself to being that consciousness and also seperated youself from all other parts of you such as the mind, body, world.

I am nothing and i become everything. That's the wisdom that i received.

That is my own experience and truth so it can be right or wrong but my words are coming straight from my own experience rather than words coming from others' mouths.

I've thought this before. I was almost convinced of it the other day, but I had a thought that made me unable to accept it. But now I can't remember what it was and it's making sense again. lol

*edit* now I remember. When you get enlightenment you are able to remember your past lives. You do not remember all past lives, but YOUR past lives. This means there has to be separation between different...whatevers. I think. lol
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Here's something i'm confused about. Personally, I tend to believe the universe is made up of a universal consciousness that causes it to be what it is.
    Can I ask what it is about the universe would lead you to believe that?
    But then I read that consciousness was not self. But then I read a thing by the dalai lama where he said that one of the common buddhist ideas is that we're a consciousness.
    Stream of consciousness. Which is different to the concept of a solid, permanent consciousness/soul which people in the West have inherited from the Abrahamic religions.
    So when the buddha says we're not consciousness does he mean that i'm not a consciousness that is separate from other consciousness'?
    No. He means that there is no *you* that can be distilled from consciousness, as consciousness is in flux, subject to constant degradation, annihilation and renewal.
    Just as there is no *you* that can be distilled from the body, or the memory. This concept of self, of you and I, isn't illusory because we're all really one mushy, homogeneous, pantheistic non-self. It's illusory because the aspects that we define as self are all impermanent, subject to change and decay and thus inherently unable to sustain any form of selfdom.
    At least that's my opinion.
  • edited October 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    Can I ask what it is about the universe would lead you to believe that?

Well for one thing, you can really pick up on stuff from other people if you pay attention. Also you can learn from the universe what you should do. Plus the whole thing where they say that when you're meditating and thoughts arise think of them as thoughts entering into your consciousness, as opposed to your thoughts.

Stream of consciousness. Which is different to the concept of a solid, permanent consciousness/soul which people in the West have inherited from the Abrahamic religions.

No. He means that there is no *you* that can be distilled from consciousness, as consciousness is in flux, subject to constant degradation, annihilation and renewal.
    Just as there is no *you* that can be distilled from the body, or the memory. This concept of self, of you and I, isn't illusory because we're all really one mushy, homogeneous, pantheistic non-self. It's illusory because the aspects that we define as self are all impermanent, subject to change and decay and thus inherently unable to sustain any form of selfdom.
    At least that's my opinion.

I tend to think we're all one and all divisions are illusory. That being said, it is said that when you are awoken you see your past lives. How can that be if there's no distinctions, as my life would be your life would be everyone's life.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well for one thing, you can really pick up on stuff from other people if you pay attention.
    That's true, but as Derren Brown will tell you, there's nothing supranormal about it.
    Also you can learn from the universe what you should do. Plus the whole thing where they say that when you're meditating and thoughts arise think of them as thoughts entering into your consciousness, as opposed to your thoughts.
    If you're thinking about thoughts entering your mind from outside, does that mean the thoughts about thoughts entering from outside also come from outside? Or are they inside out? ;)
    I tend to think we're all one and all divisions are illusory. That being said, it is said that when you are awoken you see your past lives. How can that be if there's no distinctions, as my life would be your life would be everyone's life.
    People say a lot of things. In my experience, not all of them are intended literally.
  • edited October 2010
    Chrysalid wrote: »
    That's true, but as Derren Brown will tell you, there's nothing supranormal about it.

No, but it's because(according to me...well i'm not necessarily making this claim. it's possible.) we all stem from the same consciousness. which is not necessarily supernatural, but is a little more than just being able to read people.

If you're thinking about thoughts entering your mind from outside, does that mean the thoughts about thoughts entering from outside also come from outside? Or are they inside out? ;)

Once again this is all speculation. I don't claim to "know" anything, and i'm still trying to figure out what I don't know(besides everything:lol:) and my ideas are certainly open to change, and i'm not even that set. But I tend to think that all thoughts possible are a part of some consciousness or something of the sort which all of us are tapped into. Therefore it's impossible for "me" to have "my" thoughts, but rather i'm becoming aware of the thoughts that are already in existence. Or something like that.

People say a lot of things. In my experience, not all of them are intended literally.

I agree that not all things are meant to be taken literally, but in my opinion rebirth and past lives is literal.