Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

brilliant

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm reading something by ajahn chah and there's a part where he said something which I don't think is original to him or any group, but is a teaching of the buddha. I assume. Nonetheless, it's so brilliant. So simple, so obvious, yet brilliant. Just reading this inspires me to double my efforts, as the truth of it is so obvious.

"ignorance gives rise to volitional activities, volitional activities give rise to consciousness, consciousness gives rise to mind and matter, mind and matter give rise to the six sense bases, the sense bases give rise to sense contact, contact gives rise to feeling, feeling gives rise to wanting, wanting gives rise to clinging, clinging gives rise to becoming, becoming gives rise to birth, birth gives rise to old age, sickness, death, and all forms of sorrow."

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    AKA Dependent Origination. Yes, it is a fundamental teaching of the Buddha, often the Second Noble Truth is explained as DO.
  • edited October 2010
    I believe that's called "dependent co-arising", indeed taught by the Buddha: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.002.than.html

Good stuff indeed.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Well, Buddha did say that 'to see dependent co-arising is to see the dharma'. It's the main reason why I think Nirvana doesn't mean you stop reincarnation, but you stop that chain that leads to suffering. You stop 'birth' as a part of the chain. It's not necessary birth of a person, but of harmful ideas, egoistic tendencies, desire and so on. You break the chain.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't understand it. I don't understand what is meant by "consciousness" or "birth," and I don't see how there could not be the six sense bases.
  • edited October 2010
    i dont understand it either.... i never understood what the buddha was talkin about when he said these kinda things... when he did, i always went "whatchu talkin bout anywayz buddha??" and he said "Dependented origineration" or something. I said, "dependentured originatortion?? whjat the spuk is dat???" and he said .... " take a bath, Smelly Pete, & do some zazen" .... so i slayed the Buddha.... HA HA HA HA... MOO HOO HA HA.... ahhh... but seriously, i dont understand it ... mostly the first bits
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Its not a chronology but rather a way to understand dependencies. What gives rise to what.
  • edited October 2010
    I understand that if a certain effect is the effect of a certain cause/condition, then preventing the cause/condition from reoccurring would prevent the certain effect from reoccurring, and I realize that when this is applied to the big bad effects of our existence, it is a law that points to great power.

But that's it. I don't think I can see the complete cutting off of ego at its root from where I am.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think I can see the complete cutting off of ego at its root from where I am.

Cutting off the ego at it's root wouldn't be liberation, but profound psychosis :p
  • edited October 2010
    what is psychosis? do you mean people would think I'm crazy? I think they already do. I think I'm crazy, but I think most everyone else is crazier! With their insane egos and whatnot. Buddha said it is like spitting into the wind, or running against the wind carrying a torch in front of you. I do these things, but less than others.
  • edited October 2010
    what is psychosis? do you mean people would think I'm crazy?

No, if you were to really separate yourself completely from your ego people wouldn't think you were crazy, you would be crazy. It's a common misunderstanding within Buddhist circles that the ego is a fiction needing to be killed. It's our fictitious experience of our ego that needs to be experienced as the delusion it is. The ego itself is a fully necessary concept for us to maintain to avoid a complete break with reality.

In the world of Jungian psychology there is the Self and there is the Ego. The Self is roughly synonymous with the Buddhist concept of original mind, Buddha nature, etc. The Ego is roughly synonymous with the Buddhist concept of ego (the 'I' or 'me'). The Self encompasses the Ego, the Ego is just one small part of the whole that is the Self. The mistake is when we perceive the Ego as the Self.

Either way a person must maintain the concept of there being a self or they go insane and lose contact with reality. In Buddhism we understand the ego to be a delusion and by seeing it for what it is we open to our Buddha nature. In Jungian psychology we understand the ego being perceived as the Self is an error. The Ego is one small component of the Self, not Self itself.

Different terminology, very similar concepts.
  • edited October 2010
    I think I see what you mean. But I still think that my ego is a fiction needing to be killed.

By that I mean that i have 18 years' worth of mind conditioning to deal with. I still can see by observing my speech and actions that my subconscious mental processes must contain these ego-related delusions. These delusions I wish to obliterate, vanquish into oblivion, etc.
  • edited October 2010
    I think I see what you mean. But I still think that my ego is a fiction needing to be killed.

By that I mean that i have 18 years' worth of mind conditioning to deal with.

Only 18??? Lucky you, I have 40 years of it to deal with :grin:
    I still can see by observing my speech and actions that my subconscious mental processes must contain these ego-related delusions. These delusions I wish to obliterate, vanquish into oblivion, etc.
    I agree. The delusions, the false perceptions, are to be recognized for what they are. The ego or sense of being an entity distinct from other entities is reality, not fiction. We are profoundly interconnected with everything else, but we are not 'one with the universe'. Believing we are one with the universe is a delusion just as is the belief we are completely independent of it. The difference is that believing we are independent of the universe is common and considered perfectly acceptable in society. Believing we are one with the universe gets us involuntarily committed to a padded cell.:lol:
  • edited October 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    Either way a person must maintain the concept of there being a self or they go insane and lose contact with reality. In Buddhism we understand the ego to be a delusion and by seeing it for what it is we open to our Buddha nature. In Jungian psychology we understand the ego being perceived as the Self is an error. The Ego is one small component of the Self, not Self itself.
    "There is no unchanging substance...There is nothing ... that can be called a permanent Self (Atman), individuality, or anything in reality that can be called 'I.' " What The Buddha Taught Walpola Rahula, p.26

This has got to be true since Buddhism holds that everything is constantly in flux. At least that's how I understand it.
  • edited October 2010
    I think that the buddha saw that sure there might be a universe, but all there is for US is our mind. So for us, the mind is the only "universe" we're ever going to have. So from that point of view, nothing within our mind is "self" or unchanging. Concepts of the world or others are just internal phenomena. Something like that...
  • edited October 2010
    "There is no unchanging substance...There is nothing ... that can be called a permanent Self (Atman), individuality, or anything in reality that can be called 'I.' " What The Buddha Taught Walpola Rahula, p.26

This has got to be true since Buddhism holds that everything is constantly in flux. At least that's how I understand it.

I agree. There is no permanent self.

There is, however, self. If you aren't a self, what are you? Are you one with the universe? Are you completely independent from the universe? Are you a distinct part of the universe interconnected and dependent on the whole of it for continued existence?
  • edited October 2010

There is, however, self. If you aren't a self, what are you? Are you one with the universe? Are you completely independent from the universe? Are you a distinct part of the universe interconnected and dependent on the whole of it for continued existence?
    Do you agree that there is nothing in reality that can be called "I"?
  • edited October 2010
    what do you mean reality?
  • edited October 2010

Who knows
  • edited October 2010
    Do you agree that there is nothing in reality that can be called "I"?

In the sense of there existing something fixed, permanent and unchanging that is 'I', yes I agree there is no such I.

Yet, there remains a self. If there is no self experiencing thoughts, feelings, sense impressions, then what is experiencing these things? If there are only thoughts, but no thinker then why do all beings not have the same thoughts?

"Not Self" is not the same as "No Self".

Our ego, or our sense of self is not "us" it is a part of us.It's when we perceive our sense of self rigidly, in a fixed way that we mistake the ego for the self. We mistake the part for the whole. In rallying around our ego thinking it's who we are and needing to protect it from harm we close ourself off from genuinely experiencing who we are and the rest of experience.

Again, Not Self is not the same as No Self. Our ego is not the Self, but this doesn't mean there is no self. We are not one with each other or the universe nor are we completely separate from it or each other. To believe the first delusion is to be, literally, insane. To believe the second delusion is to mistake the part for the whole and experience an existence tightly closed off from reality, living in fear of it and suffering as a result.
  • edited October 2010
    I want to add that this discussion on whether there is or is not a self is a question asked of the Buddha directly and he declined to answer.

My intent was to steer one away from thinking there is no self as that isn't what the Buddha taught and it is certainly not what modern psychology teaches. It's common to see the teachings on not self confused with no self.

We know where a deep belief that there is no self leads. To a mental institution. The Buddha did not teach this view.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2010
    :lol:
    i dont understand it either.... i never understood what the buddha was talkin about when he said these kinda things... when he did, i always went "whatchu talkin bout anywayz buddha??" and he said "Dependented origineration" or something. I said, "dependentured originatortion?? whjat the spuk is dat???" and he said .... " take a bath, Smelly Pete, & do some zazen" .... so i slayed the Buddha.... HA HA HA HA... MOO HOO HA HA.... ahhh... but seriously, i dont understand it ... mostly the first bits
  • edited October 2010
    For those who would like to see a comparison/contrast with the Jungian concepts of Self and Ego with Buddhism's Not|No Self as well as a comparison between Buddhism's enlightenment and Jung's Individuation, you might like this article.
  • edited October 2010
    I want to add that this discussion on whether there is or is not a self is a question asked of the Buddha directly and he declined to answer.

My intent was to steer one away from thinking there is no self as that isn't what the Buddha taught and it is certainly not what modern psychology teaches. It's common to see the teachings on not self confused with no self.

We know where a deep belief that there is no self leads. To a mental institution. The Buddha did not teach this view.

I think that self(as in a self that is distinct from others) is part of samsara, or one of the main illusions of samsara. Nirvana is the realization of the buddha nature within, in which these separations do not exist, there is simply buddha/nirvana.
  • edited October 2010
    what do you mean reality?
    There is only one reality. It's what's really real.
  • edited October 2010
    what does real mean?

The Buddha taught neither existence nor non-existence. And he warned not to get caught with these conjecturings.

And there is only mind. Whatever there is outside of mind is not in mind. So, to us, the things outside of mind don't exist! It is only the things in mind that exist for us, even if something actually "exists" outside of the mind. At least that's as best as I can explain the concept I had in my head...
  • edited October 2010
    what does real mean?

The Buddha taught neither existence nor non-existence. And he warned not to get caught with these conjecturings.

buddha nature/dharma is real
  • edited October 2010
    Well I don't know that. :( Hopefully I will someday, if it is real. AAHHHHHHH

For now I will stop conjecturing and do some zazen like Buddha said.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    username_5 Could you please explain to me why I shouldn't believe that we are quite literally one with the universe. As I understand it self is set up in dependence on body and mind. I have spent a fair amount of time contemplating the illusory nature of form. I have also wrestled with the illogical view of a partless particle. I would not rule out that my view is hopelessly flawed. However, for the sake of discussion I am going to assume that what is described to us by scientists as atoms and molecules exist even though I've never seen one. If everything in the universe was set in motion at the moment of the big bang and no new material was introduced later, then my body/mind consists of exactly the same material as everything else in the universe. We are completely blended with everything else. To me this was so obvious that I assumed it was the correct way to look at things. I don't think that I'm insane but if I am wrong or not understanding your meaning I would like to be corrected. Thanks-P
  • edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    username_5 Could you please explain to me why I shouldn't believe that we are quite literally one with the universe. As I understand it self is set up in dependence on body and mind. I have spent a fair amount of time contemplating the illusory nature of form. I have also wrestled with the illogical view of a partless particle. I would not rule out that my view is hopelessly flawed. However, for the sake of discussion I am going to assume that what is described to us by scientists as atoms and molecules exist even though I've never seen one. If everything in the universe was set in motion at the moment of the big bang and no new material was introduced later, then my body/mind consists of exactly the same material as everything else in the universe. We are completely blended with everything else. To me this was so obvious that I assumed it was the correct way to look at things. I don't think that I'm insane but if I am wrong or not understanding your meaning I would like to be corrected. Thanks-P

When you say that everything in the universe including yourself (and myself) is created of the stuff of the big bang you are 100% correct according to modern scientific understanding. The matter we are made of is the same stuff as the planets and stars are made of (sorta).

What makes us distinct is the same thing that makes the moon distinct from the sun. The moon is not 'one with the sun'. The sun is distinct from the moon, but yet they are ultimately made of the same 'big bang stuff'.

All that exists is interdependent. Many teachers give us examples of this. One teacher says consider the shirt you are wearing. If it is made of cotton someone had to harvest seeds, plant them, raise the plants, harvest the plants and then someone had to fashion the material of these plants into threads and then someone had to assemble those threads into a shirt and then someone had to package those shirts and someone had to transport them to be near you and so on and so forth. This is just one rather simple example of how interconnected and interdependent we are.

The self or ego (using Buddhist terms now) as we tend to perceive it is a complete illusion. It is the source of our suffering. It is the source of our suffering not because it's unreal or doesn't exist, but because we perceive it to be something it isn't.

We may meet another human being and 'fall in love'. We are taken over with emotions and chemicals flooding the brain. This results in our delusional thinking that this person can be the source of our happiness. This person will complete us. This person will fulfill our needs. Of course this is a completely wrong view, but this wrong view does not mean that this person is unreal or does not exist. It means only that this person is real and does exist, but they are not what we thought they were.

There is a self and the fact that there is a self is (forgive the necessary pun) self evident. Now, to get more orthodox, the Buddha was asked directly whether or not there was a self and according to tradition he refused to answer the question, viewing it as not relevant.

Some traditions teach 'Not self' and they point out the fact that pretty much everything we might cling to as self isn't self. Other traditions teach 'no self' which goes beyond the Buddha's teaching. I would say this teaching is dangerous and leads only to psychosis, but that isn't true. An otherwise healthy person simply is incapable of ever fully accepting that there is no such thing as self therefore they are safe from insanity. Such a person may have a really bad weekend where they experience the phenomena of losing it and going insane, but come Monday morning their psyche snaps back to reality.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    robot wrote: »
    If everything in the universe was set in motion at the moment of the big bang and no new material was introduced later, then my body/mind consists of exactly the same material as everything else in the universe.

Not quite that simple.

Upon investigation one will come to some realization that the mind is not 'part of the universe' in the ordinary understandings. While matter may well be the stuff of the universe our mind is something different. What you are mixing are what are known as the coarser level of material energy and the more subtle but more powerful and controlling energies. The coarser levels do not generate hatred which is far more powerful and devastating that any Big Bang.
  • edited October 2010
    The Buddha didn't teach that we are 'at one with the Universe' he taught about the origination of suffering and and path to the cessation of suffering (stress)

"So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me?

'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me.

And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.

"So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared."
    That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, Ven. Malunkyaputta delighted in the Blessed One's words.

MN 63 : Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

• edited October 2010
    I like to beleive that there is a self. I don't think it's as self-evident as username says it is, although I don't feel like getting into my logic as to why it's possible because, as is the case with many of these types of things, you can't really explain it in words in a way that would make people understand you sort of have to feel it. So i'm not really sure if there's a self so I try not to think about it too much. It seems to me that if there were no self we would be in control of everything. Then again, maybe that's what nirvana is, like pure lands. Then again, what about the concept of boddhisatvas and buddhas helping others? that distinction indicates self. Hmmm. I think it's a mystery that we can't fully understand until enlightenment. But if you're confident one way or another about if we have a self, like username is that we do, I think that it's ok. I wouldn't think about it too much, though. As the buddha apparently said, it's not relevent to the path.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited October 2010
    This could help you 'clear' it up a bit - http://www.viet.net/~anson/ebud/whatbudbeliev/115.htm
  • edited October 2010
    I definitely don't believe in a soul. Here's what I believe personally. I believe that dharmakaya is what I really am, and in fact what we all really are. I think whether or not it's "self" is just an issue of semantics. The fact that we're not perfect expressions of that truth just shows that we're caught up in illusions, as anything short of it is not truly us.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for the responses. I wasn't saying that I thought that there was no self. Just that it arises in dependence on the body and mind. Which in turn are dependent on their components. I was viewing that interdependence as oneness with the rest of the universe. I would not even try to make an argument for or against the existence of coarse or subtle or controlling energies beyond what can be discussed in relative terms. Username_5 when you refer to teaching that goes beyond the Buddha's are talking about later Madhyamaka thinkers? If so why would you say that their view leads to madness? Is there proof of this? I hope not because its been making sense for me lately. Thanks for helping me to clear it up.-P