Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can laypeople become enlightened?

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Thanks to the kindness of the people on this forum, I have been able to find some really great resources, both online and offline. I am in the process of locating a group near me, and as it turns out my college campus has a group that practices theravada and another group that practices mahayana. Both are very informal and focus more on social interaction than actual study, but it is still very nice to have access to these groups!

I have done some research, and I find that I find the theravada school much more logical (at least, to me it makes more sense) and enjoyable to practice. However, I have read in some places that theravada teaches that it is next to impossible for a layperson to become enlightened. This troubles me, as I have believed until now that a layperson could follow the middle way and still reach enlightenment, maybe not as quickly as a monk or nun, but it was not out of reach.

Now, I am not sure as to the accuracy of the sources in question, so I thought that I could ask you guys about it. Is it possible for me, according to theravada, to be a layperson and reach enlightenment by following the middle way?

Comments

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Relax - there is no difference between monastics and the laity concerning ability - do not be overwhelmed by illusions.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    If you think yes, then yes. If you think no, then no. :D
  • edited October 2010
    Well, first I think we need to define what enlightenment is. Feel free to do so ;)

Old traditions tend to become encrusted with formality, ritual and other stuff that distracts one from the actual path. Then they start speaking about how unthinkable enlightenment is today. They come up with silly stuff like the degeneration of humans and how much longer it now takes to attain enlightenment than it did in the 'good old days' when humans were more spiritual rather than realize their tradition has become a shell of what it once was.

So, then along comes a reform movement that shakes things up. Then they become encrusted with nonsense and the cycle repeats.

The end result is that today you can find groups that consider it unthinkable anyone will attain enlightenment all the way to those almost promising it within a decade and then there are those teachers who question whether there really is any destination known as enlightenment or if it's actually a process that never really ends.

Take your pick, but first define what enlightenment actually is. Can't hit a target if you don't know what the target is ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Relax - there is no difference between monastics and the laity concerning ability - do not be overwhelmed by illusions.

While there may be no difference in ability/potential there is certainly a difference in circumstances. I suspect it is much easier to maintain mindfulness when one's day consists of meditation, breakfast, meditation, some menial labor, meditation, lunch, meditation, dinner, meditation, a dharma talk and then meditation and then bed than it is when one's day consists of taking care of whiny kids in diapers while trying to work a full time job and dealing with the relatives who are already competing for our time during the upcoming holiday season.:D
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Lay people become enlightened in the suttras, so I would say yes, assuming the suttras are all true.

namatse
  • edited October 2010
    Given how beneficial the path to enlightenment can be all by itself, does it really matter whether or not enlightenment can be reached within one lifetime?
  • edited October 2010
    Given how beneficial the path to enlightenment can be all by itself, does it really matter whether or not enlightenment can be reached within one lifetime?

The source seemed to imply that one must spend one of their lifetimes as a human monk or nun, and that only then they can reach enlightenment. This didn't maker sense to me, so I was asking for clarification.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 133416" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>
    While there may be no difference in ability/potential there is certainly a difference in circumstances. I suspect it is much easier to maintain mindfulness when one's day consists of meditation, breakfast, meditation, some menial labor, meditation, lunch, meditation, dinner, meditation, a dharma talk and then meditation and then bed than it is when one's day consists of taking care of whiny kids in diapers while trying to work a full time job and dealing with the relatives who are already competing for our time during the upcoming holiday season.:D </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 03:51 PM

Hmmm... That makes much more sense to me.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  • edited October 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    While there may be no difference in ability/potential there is certainly a difference in circumstances. I suspect it is much easier to maintain mindfulness when one's day consists of meditation, breakfast, meditation, some menial labor, meditation, lunch, meditation, dinner, meditation, a dharma talk and then meditation and then bed than it is when one's day consists of taking care of whiny kids in diapers while trying to work a full time job and dealing with the relatives who are already competing for our time during the upcoming holiday season.:D

I agree. The path to liberation needs to be uncluttered.
    Some circumstances are better than others.

Living a modern life full of distractions and adrenaline will keep you tied to this world as your mind will never be still or detached from all the desires and aversion.

Having children can also be troublesome for those who are searching for enlightenment, as children need looking after, and also have minds of their own and have a habit of being unpredictable.

They may also drag your thoughts back into the world.
    You may not want to leave this world if you have attachments to family.

Laymonks come in various guises.
    So, I believe if the lay monk is able to create favorable circumstances then yes, i imagine it would be possible for him/her to achieve liberation.
  • edited October 2010
    As has been said, the sutras speak of lay enlightened people.
  • edited October 2010
    Thank you all for clearing this up for me. I know it must have seemed like a very silly question. I need to read the sutras...any tips on finding them online?
  • edited October 2010
    Ermine wrote: »
    Thank you all for clearing this up for me. I know it must have seemed like a very silly question. I need to read the sutras...any tips on finding them online?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
  • edited October 2010

Not silly at all. I wondered this myself and had trouble finding anything about it online.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010

What makes you think a monastic life would be easier? Your view of monastics is idealist. Having been a monastic I can assure you the life is just as demanding as any form of existence.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Dinner???????Not where I am.Heck we are not even allowed a cup of tea after midday.
    Back to the question.Of course lay people can and I am sure do get enlightened.Yes PERHAPS it is easier if you are a monastic,as was stated there is more time for meditation etc and not the same worries that the house holder finds themselves facing.
    I am a monk in the Theravada tradition and have not heard any one say that a lay person cannot attain enlightenment(not saying that this does not get said),so if you do not want to become a bhikkuni then don't.
    Enjoy your practice and come back anytime if you find your self unsure about anything.Many good people here will try to help you get a better understanding.
    With metta
  • edited October 2010
    What makes you think a monastic life would be easier? Your view of monastics is idealist. Having been a monastic I can assure you the life is just as demanding as any form of existence.

Fewer worldly concerns needing attention and much more time for meditation.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks to the kindness of the people on this forum, I have been able to find some really great resources, both online and offline. I am in the process of locating a group near me, and as it turns out my college campus has a group that practices theravada and another group that practices mahayana. Both are very informal and focus more on social interaction than actual study, but it is still very nice to have access to these groups!

I have done some research, and I find that I find the theravada school much more logical (at least, to me it makes more sense) and enjoyable to practice. However, I have read in some places that theravada teaches that it is next to impossible for a layperson to become enlightened. This troubles me, as I have believed until now that a layperson could follow the middle way and still reach enlightenment, maybe not as quickly as a monk or nun, but it was not out of reach.

Now, I am not sure as to the accuracy of the sources in question, so I thought that I could ask you guys about it. Is it possible for me, according to theravada, to be a layperson and reach enlightenment by following the middle way?

Dear Ermine

As others have pointed out, of course it is possible.

The great Theravadan teacher Ajahn Chah also supported the practice of many lay people.

All the best,

Abu
    edited October 2010

Ermine , keep in mind the Buddhist path is one way of practice , and a course of life itself...thus we read the sutras for inspiration , for contemplation , for guidance perhaps but always the true Dhamma resides in your heart. Find that place , and you will find all suttas.

Access to Insight is a good site.

Regards,

Abu
    edited October 2010
    It is a myth that it is easier for monks or nuns, the seed needs to lie deep
    edited October 2010
    And now time to bring one of my favorite quotes from the highly esteemed Thai Forest Master, the Venerable Ajaan Dune Atulo:

buddha_face.jpg
    "When a person has shaved his hair and beard and put on the ochre robe, that's the symbol of his state as a monk. But it counts only on the external level. Only when he has shaved off the mental tangle — all lower preoccupations — from his heart can you call him a monk on the internal level.

"When a head has been shaved, little creeping insects like lice can't take up residence there. In the same way, when a mind has gained release from its preoccupations and is freed from fabrication, suffering can't take up residence at all. When this becomes your normal state, you can be called a genuine monk."

From Gifts He Left Behind - The Dhamma Legacy of Ajaan Dune Atulo
  • edited October 2010
    Of course laypeople can become enlightened.
    There are even entire traditions/lineages that are specifically adapted to this purpose. The ngakpa tradition in Tibetan Buddhism is one example.
  • edited October 2010
    Yes, you can! Dalai Lama said so too.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Is it possible for me, according to theravada, to be a layperson and reach enlightenment by following the middle way?

yes

key words are 'we understand what exactly is the middle way (arya ashtangika magga= Noble Eightfold Path)',
    then
    we know how to follow it
  • edited October 2010
    If I'm not mistaken,
    there are some great masters in Kagyu school of Tibetan Buddhism who were commoners.
    But then, I'm digressing.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2010

Yes, the Pali Canon makes it clear that lay-followers can become arahants (e.g., Bahiya, Khema, Suddhodana, etc.).
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Also I find it helpful to remember this sentiment ...When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way
  • edited October 2010
    I had a call this week reminding me that I had expressed an interest in canvassing for a candidate in the upcoming election. I asked myself whatever I could have been thinking. Not that I believe that electing good candidates to office isn't important. But I've been so caught up in reading and trying to practice Buddhist principles and thinking about them that almost everything else seems a distraction. I suppose the world shouldn't seem a distraction. Anyone else ever felt like this?

I'm terribly new to Buddhism and find myself getting caught on snags regularly.
  • edited October 2010
    I had a call this week reminding me that I had expressed an interest in canvassing for a candidate in the upcoming election. I asked myself whatever I could have been thinking. Not that I believe that electing good candidates to office isn't important. But I've been so caught up in reading and trying to practice Buddhist principles and thinking about them that almost everything else seems a distraction. I suppose the world shouldn't seem a distraction. Anyone else ever felt like this?

There are two ways to look at the world. Being full of distractions or opportunities. Which do you think will lead to a more fulfilling life?
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010

Hi nature lover, I am not so new to Buddhism and this aspect continues to puzzle me ... my daily decisions and actions regarding where to apply my energy are helped by many insights from the Dhammapada, what comes to mind right now is that it is not as important what we set out to support as how we action on the way - the ends doesn't always support the means, which is why getting involved in politics would be very difficult I believe.

Through effort, attention,
    Restraint and self-control,
    The wise person can become an island
    No flood will overwhelm.
    - Dhammapada 25
  • edited October 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    what comes to mind right now is that it is not as important what we set out to support as how we act on the way - the ends doesn't always support the means, which is why getting involved in politics would be very difficult I believe.
    That's how I'm feeling too. I don't want to isolate, and without a sangha I feel rather alone. I do volunteer at a museum, and that keeps me in touch with people.

I'm also practicing mindfulness and meditation in and effortful way---which not only takes time, but involves an entirely different mindset. My problem is that I've made a commitment to the town committee, and I take commitment seriously. Perhaps after the election I can find a graceful way to bow out. Or sooner if I find a sangha. Oopps.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    OP: Monastic life is simply removing distractions and attachments to the world, to allow for focus and meditation upon the teachings. In this way it is greatly helpful, but "attachment" is internal -- one can live in the conceptual/abstract world and still not be a part of it. This really depends on the individual. If you feel that you are able to make progress while still in the householder lifestyle, great! There may also come a time where you may go crazy like me and want to live out in the woods. :)
  • edited October 2010
    It's less likely to come across a "hat snatcher" *wink wink* in monastic life.
    But in normal life, you have more chance of being thrown into scenarios to apply what you learn. Such as overcome anger and grow compassion (after the hat-snatcher runs away).

If you're seldom expose to turmoil, how are you really going to face big problem when it arises? It's said that the real stillness is stillness in motion.

Maybe in hermitage, one sees the inner light clearer when the room gets dark.
  • edited October 2010
    ^That's what I think. It seems to me that being a monk is conducive for understanding, but if you can understand(or do...or whatever you wanna call it) without then you can look at it 2 ways. On one hand, you can live without too much worry in hermitage, or on the other hand, as you say, you get more opportunities to live out your ideals or w/e you wanna call them.
  • edited October 2010
    can someone point out who was the enlightened main kagyu lineage holder who was also a common layperson?
    Was it Marpa or Milarepa or someone else?
    I tried to read on wikipedia but I can't get it. :-(

At least I know it's possible for layperson to become Buddha.
    There are records where laypeople even attain the rainbow body.
    Sometimes they are called "hidden practitioners/yogi".
  • edited October 2010
    mantra0 wrote: »
    At least I know it's possible for layperson to become Buddha.
    There are records where laypeople even attain the rainbow body.
    Sometimes they are called "hidden practitioners/yogi".

I don't understand the basis for the statement. How can something be possible for one and not another? Surely the different stages of being are devoid of existence, and therefore we are what we are, which is not and cannot be separated from what we are not which is.
  • edited October 2010
    ^ Yes. All sentient beings have the Buddha potential, to become enlightened. That includes insect as well.

but the work and progression is not easy and those who attain the fruit of liberation from reincarnation and great wisdom is rare.

I guess the thread starter might want some more real life example / role model to make him more confident in walking his spiritual path (just my assumption).

Vajrayana has teachings that will make one enlightened in one lifetime. But such person must be karmically fortunate enough to receive teachings from proper guru. And such condition is the fruit of merit gathering of many lifetime..... So it is not wrong to say it's not easy to attain Buddhahood in just one lifetime.
  • edited October 2010
    I've never understood the expression attaining buddahood in one lifetime. None of it makes sense. I'm having a hard time discussing this stuff because everything I try to say doesn't properly get the message across.

Attaining buddhahood in one lifetime implies that you started this lifetime, but we started in the beginning. But there is no beginning, just as there is no end. We have not attained what there is to attain, yet we have attained the unattainable. I don't understand how we can not be something and then be something in truth. Letalone say that you did it all in one lifetime, or any amount of lifetimes. I understand that it appears that way, and you could say that, but the truth is neither that we become or that we don't become, for what we both the mundane and the supramundane are empty in their existence, and therefore we are what we're not. There is nothing to attain.
  • edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    I've never understood the expression attaining buddahood in one lifetime. None of it makes sense. I'm having a hard time discussing this stuff because everything I try to say doesn't properly get the message across.

Attaining buddhahood in one lifetime implies that you started this lifetime, but we started in the beginning. But there is no beginning, just as there is no end. We have not attained what there is to attain, yet we have attained the unattainable. I don't understand how we can not be something and then be something in truth. Letalone say that you did it all in one lifetime, or any amount of lifetimes. I understand that it appears that way, and you could say that, but the truth is neither ____ nor ___ as always.

Well, in my context in this sense (I'm talking logic now, not bell sounds hehe...)
    Here's my definition:

Buddhahood = enlightenment where a person is free from rebirth and death aka liberated from samsaric existence.

In one lifetime = the had work you put in and see the fruit (buddhahood) before you die in this very physical body.

and in your context... yes, we are pure in terms of our nature. But currently we are still not liberated from samsara and still suffer. But our nature is there as it is.

I know it's confuse as the teachings is contextual.... some times seemingly conflicting, depending on what is define and taught at the moment.....

it is, then it isn't.
    We are already perfect. next we have to attain something. next you shouldn't try to attain to attain or not to attain.

One moment we are suppose to move from samsara to nirvana, then there's no samsara/nirvana. Then everyone the same. And so on.....

(get it?)
  • edited October 2010
    I think that it's possible to be enlightened, free from rebirth in samsara, without having yet achieved buddhahood. Enlightenment can lead to bodhisattva which can lead to buddha. But I think this whole thing is an illusion. I don't understand what there is to attain. Isn't the nature of buddha emptiness, just as the nature of nirvana is emptiness, just as the nature of samsara is emptiness? If that is the case then there is no distinction, for they are all emptiness and emptiness is all of them. Maybe i'm wrong.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2010
    The Buddha taught of suffering and the cessation of suffering, and it's all about the mind. Ignorance is a mental factor; greed, aversion and delusion are mental. Human suffering is mental suffering. It is conditioned, and can be re-conditioned by appropriate factors (hearing the Dharma, walking the path and putting forth right effort to liberation).

Not everyone believes the same things, and beliefs can lead us astray; but the simple basis of the Buddha's teachings for liberation from suffering are for all. Our way of living and conceptualizing the world brings about suffering and we can end this with right view -- anything else is confusion.
  • edited October 2010
    Can laypeople become enlightened?

Yes.

Is it easy?

Hmmm... depends on a lot of factor: karma, hard work, support etc.

Seeing some saints who become enlightened in their practice - for example Yeshe Togyal and Milarepa - Their serious meditation lead them to very near death....

I think, it's not easy.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Yes Lay people can become enlightened :)
    gelugpagaz
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Yes Lay people can become enlightened :)
    Simple yet eloquent
    gelugpagaz