Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

physical happiness

aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
i'm very new to buddhism, this is my first post, i've got a question i've been thinking about ever since understanding the basics of buddhism. I've philosophically reconciled everything else with logic but I don't understand one thing. What is the advantage of mental happiness over physical happiness?
I accept that physical happiness will lead to mental suffering but, theoretically if you were to be physically happy all the time what is the benefit of mental happiness as opposed to this physical happiness?

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Being "happy" all the time seems like an absurd notion to me. It is a feeling (mental or physical) which, when it stops, we wish to encounter it again.

There are 3 types of suffering, the elimination of which is the goal of Buddhism.

1) The suffering of change. Because all happiness ends it is unsatisfactory.
    2) The suffering of suffering. This is what we normally think of as suffering, pain, etc.
    3) The suffering of uncontrollable rebirths. This is caused by delusion, greed, & aversion.
  • edited November 2010
    All happiness is "mental", or, more specifically, emotional. You can be in the best of health and have everything money can buy, but you may still not be emotionally happy. Furthermore, all those things will likely pass away, especially when you die, so it's much wiser to cultivate emotional happiness. Certainly you should take care of your physical health and have enough to live on, but these things will not necessarily put you at peace with yourself and your world, whereas a positive mental attitude can get you through the times of ill health and relative lack of physical resources. You'll never be "physically happy all the time". That's the whole point.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The key word is happiness. What is happiness? It's a feeling or state of mind, and by feeling we're referring only to the mind (not the body). Happiness does not occur in the body (as far as "touch"); only sensations, varying from painful to pleasurable, are experienced by touch. Those sensations are transmitted to the mind and it is there where happiness and other such feelings can arise.

So then we can feel pleasant or painful sensations exactly in the same way as we see pleasant or painful/unpleasant sights with our eyes... but they are only meaningless signals until interpreted by the mind, and so it is to the mind we turn our attention.

If we somehow stimulated pleasant sensation in the body 24/7/365, it would probably either turn us into docile lambs with no will to move... or the sheer constancy of the sensations would cause the mind to begin filtering them out, ignoring them, requiring more powerful sensations. Sounds a lot like a junkie, no? I think that's a good enough answer to that. Certainly not the kind of liberation Buddhists seek! :)
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited November 2010
    well thank you all for your posts but i think you've missed my point a bit, probably my fault for not explaining. my example was hypothetical. you both sort of parroted the aim of buddhism but i'm asking why is physical "pleasure" so inferior to mental happiness? I understand that you can't literally feel pleasure all the time, i'm just trying to get my point across.

ill try to ask my question in a different way, does the superiority of mental happiness verge upon the concept that physical pleasure is impermanent? or is there more to it?
  • edited November 2010
    it's better to be in pain but happy than feeling good but sad i should say my boy, because when you feel pleasant but you are sad in your head, what is the good? and though the pain is painful, you are still happy... that is what spirituality is all about!
  • edited November 2010
    well thank you all for your posts but i think you've missed my point a bit, probably my fault for not explaining. my example was hypothetical. you both sort of parroted the aim of buddhism but i'm asking why is physical "pleasure" so inferior to mental happiness? I understand that you can't literally feel pleasure all the time, i'm just trying to get my point across.

ill try to ask my question in a different way, does the superiority of mental happiness verge upon the concept that physical pleasure is impermanent? or is there more to it?
    The mind experiences physical pleasure.
    There is nothing wrong with physical pleasure, the problem is that we become mentally attached to it.
    Ordinary "mental" happiness is not superior or inferior to physical pleasure. They are one and the same since the mind is what perceives and experiences them.
  • edited November 2010
    Can the body be happy???

I really don't understand your question, I guess.

I mean, physical pleasure is "pleasure" because it is conceived of as pleasurable. Mind does the conceiving.

I really don't think you can separate the physical from the mental here. Though you can have purely mental pleasure. (Watch out biological reductionists!)
    edited November 2010
    pietro, you could use your argument reversed and by your logic disprove the necessity of mental happiness, you could be mentally happy and be in pain by your logic and then to use your words, "what is the good?" you are assuming a superiority of mental happiness to physical pleasure, what the difference is besides impermanence is what my question is about.
  • edited November 2010
    pietro, you could use your argument reversed and by your logic disprove the necessity of mental happiness, you could be mentally happy and be in pain by your logic and then to use your words, "what is the good?" you are assuming a superiority of mental happiness to physical pleasure, what the difference is besides impermanence is what my question is about.
    There is no difference.
    edited November 2010
    The mind experiences physical pleasure.
    There is nothing wrong with physical pleasure, the problem is that we become mentally attached to it.
    Ordinary "mental" happiness is not superior or inferior to physical pleasure. They are one and the same since the mind is what perceives and experiences them.
    so then back to my example, would it be equally desirable to be physically "happy" all the time as to be mentally "happy" all the time?
  • edited November 2010
    ok ok i gott a better reply to the first post: the response is, there are no advantages in buddhism
  • edited November 2010
    so then back to my example, would it be equally desirable to be physically "happy" all the time as to be mentally "happy" all the time?

There is no "physical happiness" without a mind to experience and attribute the label of happy to it.
    Happiness is a mental phenomena. Physical health and comfort can lead to ordinary/temporary happiness but without the mind there is no such thing as comfort because there is no mind to experience it.
    edited November 2010
    There is no "physical happiness" without a mind to experience and attribute the label of happy to it.
    Happiness is a mental phenomena. Physical health and comfort can lead to ordinary/temporary happiness but without the mind there is no such thing as comfort because there is no mind to experience it.
    so the difference lies solely in the impermanence of physical pleasure? this is the question i've been trying to ask from the start
  • edited November 2010
    so the difference lies solely in the impermanence of physical pleasure? this is the question i've been trying to ask from the start

Not really, the difference is that there is no difference at all.
    The experience of physical pleasure is a mental phenomena.
  • edited November 2010
    The mind says. "ah, this couch is comfy". The body does not directly experience the comfy nature of the couch without the mind to recognize and label the experience of comfort.
  • edited November 2010

I thought I answered it that way above. Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.
    edited November 2010
    so the feelings themselves have no difference, the reason that we follow the buddhist path is that the feelings we do feel as a result last longer. is that right?
  • edited November 2010
    so the feelings themselves have no difference, the reason that we follow the buddhist path is that the feelings we do feel as a result last longer. is that right?
    The "feelings" are one of the things that we cling to and try to make permanent. The feelings will never be permanent, once we fully realize this and stop craving and clinging to them we will be free from them. When we are free from craving and clinging we will be authentically happy.
  • edited November 2010
    Improving your happiness in this life is the goal of "Dharma-lite".
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    This thread just makes my head spin... So many words, What do they mean?
    edited November 2010
    The "feelings" are one of the things that we cling to and try to make permanent. The feelings will never be permanent, once we fully realize this and stop craving and clinging to them we will be free from them. When we are free from craving and clinging we will be authentically happy.
    alright thank you.
  • edited November 2010
    alright thank you.

you're welcome.
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    This thread just makes my head spin... So many words, What do they mean?

Yeah, this one [edit: was] moving fast!
    edited November 2010
    Nietzsche wasn't a perfect person but his thoughts were pretty close to perfect. I can say this about him though, despite the fact that he founded nihilism his main point was basically that we as a society needed to overcome nihilism. He knew it was a "bad" thing.
    edited November 2010
    This thread just makes my head spin... So many words, What do they mean? We can jabber all day, but I'm afraid their intended meanings may stay almost hermetically sealed within our too-thick skulls.

Pleasures can be either mental or physical, but true joys are to be found only in that which transcends that unreality we call Time. Hence, in an unhurried state, a follower of the Tao or Buddha or Jesus may actually touch the ground of being.

Time and our own judgments about what best to fill that Unreality with are the chief culprit. Buddhism teaches that it is only by letting go it all can get done. Or is that Taoism? Mystical Christianity?
    I accept that physical happiness will lead to mental suffering...
    That is not the Buddhist Dharma. Buddha never taught that any pleasure will necessarily lead to its opposite; he was referring to the grasping at pleasure.

I certainly hope that's NOT right.
    edited November 2010
    ok fine "I accept that seeking physical happiness will lead to mental suffering"

I understand your words well enough hopefully you understood mine

i just realized that your little thing about Nietzsche was your signature not a comment directed at my name
    edited November 2010
    NO! We all seek some small pleasures. Do you want me to freeze to death and not crawl up closer to warmth? Oh, obviously that's not a pleasure?

NO, it's the suffering caused by relentless clinging to something, being enslaved by our needs rather than being master of them.
    edited November 2010
    Nirvana-at this point you seem to be splitting hairs, I know that you shouldn't just let yourself die because saving yourself would bring you pleasure. I thought it was obvious that i mean exactly what your saying, we shouldn't seek pleasure as an end in itself.
  • edited November 2010
    we shouldn't seek pleasure as an end in itself.

Yes.

And this is because pleasure is but the suffering of change. It is fleeting and ultimately unsatisfactory.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010

That's part of it, but it's not just limited to physical pleasure; the same applies to all sensual pleasures. True happiness, on the other hand, is a kind of happiness that's not dependent on conditions, and Buddhism is all about the pursuit of true happiness.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The beautiful thing about the trans-formative nature of Buddhist practice upon the mind (as opposed to trying to find/possess contentment in the sense-sphere)... is that when the mind has been set aright, one is content and at peace no matter what they are doing. Self-doubt and the like also evaporate, so the moment you've chosen to do something (predisposed ofc to selfless service), there are no mental roadblocks and there's no difference as far as you're concerned. I think only in this example does the phrase "it's all good" make a true claim.
    When constant, merciless change becomes the expectation rather than the aversion, then the real journey finally begins. :) ooo I'ma use that last line for a sig hehe
    edited November 2010
    so the goal of buddhism is to be happy as much as possible? or to suffer as little as possible, however you want to word it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Nope; it's just to awaken fully to the true nature of all phenomena. This wisdom of reality destroys the ignorance that had given birth to all mental defilements (greed, aversion and delusion). Mental suffering, or dukkha, has no causal route for further becoming.

The state of peace for one who has gone forever beyond internal association with such concepts as "I" would be the most absolute and profound peace known to humankind. If you know of any greater liberation that is taught in this world, for this life, let me know. :)

If you're looking to define Buddhism's goal, it is best described as two-fold to include all schools of thought: liberation of one's self from suffering, and helping/guiding the liberation of other sentient beings. (Those are the big goals, but an awakened being spends the rest of their life in selfless service to others in whatever ways they see fit, or are capable.)

There are different goals that individuals have where Buddhism is concerned; some only wish to gain merit for future lives, others become focused on Nirvana to exclusion of all else (either for themselves or for others, though others will become the beneficiaries of such effort regardless), and everything in between. The Buddha's intended goal, of course, was cessation of suffering.
    edited November 2010
    Cloud wrote: »
    Nope; it's just to awaken fully to the true nature of all phenomena. This wisdom of reality destroys the ignorance that had given birth to all mental defilements (greed, aversion and delusion). Mental suffering, or dukkha, has no causal route for further becoming.

Well you say no but then go on to say that the thing which is the goal leads to happiness, so wouldn't the goal still be happiness? isn't that the reason that you want to be awakened to the nature of all phenomena?

also you sort of do the same thing with the goal of helping others, why do you help others if not to further feel happy yourself?

I've heard people talk about giving without expecting anything in return and they say that the reason they would give like this is for the joy of giving, so aren't you giving so that you yourself can be happy?

I've come to the conclusion that buddhism's goal is happiness but the only way to reach that goal is to tell yourself that your goal is helping others etc. Correct me where im wrong
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The goal is an end to our suffering which is needless suffering; it exists only because our view of reality is askew. There are many other things that can be said of Buddhism, can be included, and each individual has their own views... but the cessation of suffering is the way of the Buddha.

You're one of many questions. :)
    edited November 2010
    alright thanks, i do question things alot doesn't buddhism teach that? :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yeah sure but your questions are difficult to answer (to your satisfaction). ;) Really exercising our digital tongues though, and for that I thank you.

As to post #35, you could say that it's happiness (since suffering would be the opposite)... if you choose to view it that way, which you do (lol). We each come to Buddhism because of the route our own lives have taken, and have our own personal reasons to seek Nirvana. So, it's all good.

And as to the helping others being to make us happy, I'ma quote a post from another thread where I sorta went into that:
    I would define Buddhist "compassion" as a genuine concern that drives us to help other beings, based not on pity or merit-gathering or a feeling of accomplishment/pride, but simply upon the knowledge that the suffering of others has the same root cause as one's own suffering, and for that matter there is not truly a separation of "other" from "self".

To ease or help eliminate the suffering of others is as much to one's own benefit as the other person/being, from this adjusted (right) view that we are all part of a larger interdependent system rather than truly separate entities. Effort we put into cultivating this compassion toward even our worst enemies generates boundless wholesome karma; we can begin to think of "wrongdoing" or "evil" done by others as conditioned actions, nothing "personal" to hold against an individual, but rather belonging to the stream of causality including everything that individual (mind/body complex) has ever thought or experienced and the specific conditions of that moment.
    So in brief, the compassion taught in Buddhism is selfless compassion that is simply the "right thing to do" when we fully understand the nature of all phenomena, which closes the gap and eliminates the boundaries between ourselves and others (humans and all other transient phenomena, esp. life where dukkha dwells). If we are compassionate for selfish purposes, which would be on us alone, then we are not practicing what Buddhism teaches and intends in this regard.

Seems we can color Buddhism many ways if we "see" it that way. If you desire to be happy, sure Buddhism can help. If you want an excuse to help others because it makes you feel good, sure here's a Buddy-Buddhist pin. ;) Anyway, Buddha's teachings will be around for a long time to help us cultivate a wholesome "now", regardless of our individual goals.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Oddly enough, Sharon Salzberg (a well-known contemporary American Buddhist teacher who studied Theravada Buddhism in India and Burma) wrote in her book on meditation (Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness) that two of the aspirations of lovingkindness are to have both mental happiness and to have physical happiness:
    "May I have mental happiness." If we were in touch with our own loveliness, if we felt less fearful of others, if we trusted our ability to love, we would have mental happiness. In the same vein, if we could relate skillfully to the torments of the mind that arise, and not nourish or cultivate them, we would have mental happiness. Even in very positive or fortunate circumstances, without mental happiness, we are miserable. Sometimes people use the phrase “May I be happy” or “May I be peaceful” or “May I be liberated.”

“May I have physical happiness.” With this phrase we wish ourselves the enjoyment of health, freedom from physical pain, and harmony with our bodies. If freedom from pain is not a realistic possibility, we aspire to receive the pain with friendliness and patience, thereby not transforming physical pain into mental torment. You might also use a phrase such as “May I be healthy,” “May I be healed,” “May I make a friend of my body,” or “May I embody my love and understanding.”
    Source: From Lovingkindness
    Buddhism is not a masochistic religion. Although Buddhism asks of practitioners a level of restraint that may seem unusual to those of us living in highly materialistic societies, a cornerstone of the buddha's teaching is still the Middle Way: neither physical austerities nor hedonistic abandon are healthy means of mediating dukkha (suffering).
    edited November 2010
    but the ultimate goal of compassion, selflessness etc. is still ending your suffering right? because to me thats perfectly acceptable and logical and it doesn't make the compassion less worthwhile, i'm just making sure buddhism doesn't rely on some inexplicable intrinsic value of "right" or "good"

glow - yes I know buddhism isn't masochistic, but even if it was I'd still follow it if it truly brought the mental happiness and contentment it talks about.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Liberation from suffering is the goal.

Selflessness, Compassion (toward all life), Honesty always tempered with Right Speech, and many more aspects could be rather flippantly described as "side effects" of the mind coming into harmony with reality. We put forth effort to cultivate these on our path to enlightenment (not knowing how long our path is and still wanting to help, and avoiding doing harm before we "know" better ourselves), but the awakened mind is predisposed toward these ways.

A great word for the Buddha's teachings, in fact the entire methodology, is "consistent". The Buddha realized Nirvana and not only taught in detail how to do the same, and the attributes of an awakened mind, but set forth a path that would start us cultivating those wholesome views and acting in kind long before these ways would become natural to us. To simply walk the path rightly is already living harmoniously (at least to the best of our ability). The gifts of the Buddha are indeed profound. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Don't confuse pleasure with happiness. I'm not even talking about buddhism (since I don't much about it anyway).

Pleasurable sensations are not the same as the state of mind we call happiness.
    edited November 2010
    Epicurus wrote: »
    Don't confuse pleasure with happiness.

Yea, the unpleasantly verbose pointlessness of this thread is not to be confused either with unhappiness or the search for its cure?????
  • edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Yea, the unpleasantly verbose pointlessness of this thread is not to be confused either with unhappiness or the search for its cure?????

I was directing my comments to the thread starter. I didn't read the thread. So I wouldn't know. Not even if it was unpleasantly pointlessly verbose or not.
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, Epicurus!

I shoulda made two separate sentences rather than appending my sentiments about the value of this thread to your quite useful remark.

I sincerely apologize for being so hasty and thoughtless.
  • edited November 2010
    I didn't read the thread. So I wouldn't know. Not even if it was unpleasantly pointlessly verbose or not.

Is it rude to want to bring closure to threads that seem to go in circles, and that people respond to without reading what has been written already?

This is not hard.

Physical pleasure is transitory.

Mental and emotional pleasure are also transitory.

Buddhists cultivate equanimity in order to deal with the transitoriness of both physical and mental/emotional pleasure.

It's that easy.
  • edited November 2010
    Is it rude to want to bring closure to threads that seem to go in circles, and that people respond to without reading what has been written already?

This is not hard.

Physical pleasure is transitory.

Mental and emotional pleasure are also transitory.

Buddhists cultivate equanimity in order to deal with the transitoriness of both physical and mental/emotional pleasure.

It's that easy.

Okay I didn't underst your reply at all. Is that question directed at me? And if so, why?
  • edited November 2010
    Okay I didn't underst your reply at all. Is that question directed at me? And if so, why?

You said you didn't read the other responses in the thread. My question is whether or not it's rude to want to bring closure to threads that seem to be excessively verbose and go in circles. How can we bring closure to threads that are excessively verbose and go in circles if people are not familiar with the other responses in the thread?

Just asking.
  • edited November 2010
    You said you didn't read the other responses in the thread. My question is whether or not it's rude to want to bring closure to threads that seem to be excessively verbose and go in circles. How can we bring closure to threads that are excessively verbose and go in circles if people are not familiar with the other responses in the thread?

Just asking.

Are you assuming I wanted to bring closure?

I was merely giving my 2 cents on the matter. My post can be disregarded if the read feels it has no value.
  • edited November 2010
    I confess it's my problem entirely. I come to these boards for something interesting to read- perhaps a point of view that I hadn't considered. When I find repetition and excessive verbosity over what I see as a simple point I get frustrated.

Again, it's my problem entirely.
    edited November 2010
    ugh, i asked a really simple question to begin with, but blame me if you want