Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is the bodhisattva path separate from the monastic path?

edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Even though i'm not even a part of anything buddhist in the "real" world, and far off from even the possibility of ever becoming a monk, still I enjoy thinking about things. Anyways, most of the time I think it's inevitable that i'm going to become a monk. Sometimes I don't think that, though. I was thinking about the issue just now as laying in bed, and a thought occured to me. Perhaps by becoming a monk I would be doing a disservice to the other sentient beings. I have always been someone who influences people, and I have a way of helping other people to see things that they normally don't see. By entering the monastic life, your interaction with mainstream society is limited, and most of your interaction is with other monks who are already intent on the path and probably fairly realized. Now let's think about this in terms of the bodhisattva path. One becomes a bodhisattva for the purpose of helping liberate all sentient beings. It seems to me that a lay follower is in better position than a monk to help others. The path of a monk is certainly best for an individual, but isn't the lay life better for all? Is perhaps the path of a bodhisattva one where, although being a monk is an option, perhaps it is better not to ordain?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2010
    No singular answer across traditions, but IMHO it would be a matter of time. If a monk/nun dedicates themselves to awakening, and realizes Nirvana, they would no longer have need for seclusion or the teachings. At that point they would act for the well-being of all life with right view and compassion perfected, rather exclusively (not having any further personal goals).

Entering into the monastic life is an individual choice, and it all depends on how you evaluate whether or not you will reach your goal as a lay practitioner. One consolation is that the compassionate acts of an enlightened being are not forced; they are effortless, and flow from the selfless view. Many wish to be compassionate, do what they can, but their lay lives still center around themselves regardless of how hard they try. That's what we have to go through while we are still fettered, and there's no right answer (at least no accepted right answer).

It's hard to tell whether we're getting closer or further away from the teachings. Lots of time, lots of hands in the pot. However you decide, no one can rightly fault you. If anyone tells you that you're wrong, they're not looking to themselves first as they should. :)
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I believe an enlightened person's response to that would be, that the help you give other people now is not real, because their sufferings aren't real. By becoming enlightened, you would help yourself in a real way, by making yourself permanently immune to suffering, and you would help others, by teaching them to become free, too.

I've become a little tangled up in the terminology -- I don't like the way I'm using "real," because of course suffering is real and deserves compassion. And I don't know how to navigate that properly, without falling into error.

But if we really buy the teaching, helping someone cope with things in the world is a little like giving a pain killer to someone who's holding on to an electric fence. The better formula is to (a) let go of the fence yourself, and (b) then convince them to.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    The bodhisattva path can be different than that of a person who wants to become a Monk or nun.

Because of the people that have helped me during this life and the work that I do with those who suffer from Dementia I asked my Lama to bestow the B Vow on me. A large number of other Lay People took the Vow at the same time. Most of us there will not become ordained in this lifeime. As it was explained to us, The Vow is one of the steps along the path that can assist a person in learning to work for the benifit of all Beings 100 % of the time and as a way to focur our own practice.

I would , with respect, disagree with your thought that monks or nuns are limited in the people that they can serve.

First, many of the day to day practices that Monks & Nuns engage in, Prayers/chanting etc have a wide spread effect. Also, those at my Monestary are activly engaged in giving Teachings, assisting the sick, working with people in prison and other types of direct actions.

The ability to be of benifit to others is not directly connected to the wish to becomed ordained. Both Lama's and lay people have a beautiful oppurtunity to be of service because of the great fortune to have been given a human life.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited November 2010
    conradcook wrote: »
    I've become a little tangled up in the terminology -- I don't like the way I'm using "real," because of course suffering is real and deserves compassion. And I don't know how to navigate that properly, without falling into error.

Instaed of saying "not real," I prefer "empty." The selfness of one's suffering is "empty" in that it only exists in the mind of the practitioner for the purposes of attaining liberation and teaching others. In the same way "practitioner" and "suffering" and "others" are also empty, devoid of abiding selfness.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thanks, Talisman. I'll cue that up for meditating on.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    They are different things but they are not mutually exclusive.

1. You may follow the bodhisattva path and NOT be a monk

2. You may be a monk and not follow the bodhisattva path

3. You may follow both

4. Neither