Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Child's Teaching

edited December 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I thought I'd share an experience I had last evening.

I was playing cards with my family. My children are young, it was not competitive, but my oldest has the best luck, in fact it was such a run as to have continued now for weeks. Uncanny. But last night the luck ended. She had a hard time losing. It was evident that she'd attached very strongly to the idea that she was always a winner. My oldest is very responsible (first child syndrome I wager) but when something in her world shatters, she's a mess. In a few minutes she was crying uncontrollably. One of the benfits and motivations for my meditation practice is the slowing down of my reactions and increased patience. Fortunately I saw this as an opportunity to help her instead of a childish imposition on my time.

As she was laying there, I just sat with her for a time. Then I just told her to breathe and I did it with her. I began counting with her. I closed my eyes. I don't know if she did too or not. She calmed down and said she had begun to feel better.

I struggle alot with how to help my children understand the basic principles of life, which is what I find buddhism to be, without overloading them with 'buddhism' per se. We talked about the fact that winning can't always happen and just like the seasons come and go. It doesn't mean she is any less lovable, etc. When she gets up today, I'm quite sure she'll have forgotten about it, but perhaps in 15 years when she's troubled, she'll remember.

I guess I learned that we can illustrate these principles to our children if we can connect with the opportunities. I'm sure I've missed plenty, but was encouraged for what I could do for my daughter and for what it taught me. In the end the issues are different, but I feel like we all do this same thing. We may not cry uncontrollably on the outside, but we may be pitching a fit on the inside. I often feel so much like my daughter often if I admit it.

Thanks for letting me share here in this forum. I struggle with posting because I always seem to find a sense that my motivations are seeking praise. I suppose that is partly true but I imagine part of its just an initial discomfort. I find the comfort of connection though particularly inspiring.

Have a great day...
:)

Comments

• edited December 2005
    Thank you
  • edited December 2005
    Have a great day yourself!
  • edited December 2005
    What a great post, and a great lesson for me as well. I have an almost 3 year old girl, and she is still in the stage of crying when things don't go her way. It can be very frustrating when I can't calm her down and get her to "snap out of it", so I really like what you said about sitting with her and telling her to breathe. I could have used that his morning with her!

Thank you for the lesson - I will definitely use it in the future instead of losing my cool with her. This parenting business is hard work!! :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I have an almost 3 year old girl, and she is still in the stage of crying when things don't go her way.

Was it Buddha that said, "The fruit of a tree does not fall very far from the tree."

Anyway, thanks for the story - the are lessons we can teach to help other overcome attachments - and there are great, everyday circumstances that allow us to learn from others.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    I have an almost 3 year old girl, and she is still in the stage of crying when things don't go her way.

I have a 52-year old ex- who does the same thing....

Did I say that out loud....!??!:wow: :grin::lol:
  • edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Was it Buddha that said, "The fruit of a tree does not fall very far from the tree."

-bf

Have you been talking to my husband? I may not shed tears when things don't go my way, but I can pitch a prety good fit!
    edited December 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Have you been talking to my husband? I may not shed tears when things don't go my way, but I can pitch a prety good fit!

Let's just say I had a feeling...

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    Shut it.
    edited December 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Shut it.

yes, dear.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I have had the awesome experience of seeing kids in our sangha grow from kindergarten age to college age, and it has been a very valuable experience. I have been the father figure for one of them (single mother family), so I have been involved in bringing him up. I'd say the single most important thing about raising them is not trying to raise them Buddhist, but trying to raise them as thinking, caring people who live and breathe compassion. They respect you more for that than trying to make them learn some dogma by rote. I know that's true with my "son". He practices compassion as an integral part of his life without even having to think about it, but yet he doesn't really identify with Buddhism as a religion or have any desire at this stage in his life (he's 18 and a junior already in college) to be a part of the sangha per se. And that's OK, because I know that he'll eventually come to it when he's ready, and what's more important is that he's already living the teachings. How wonderful!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    I have had the awesome experience of seeing kids in our sangha grow from kindergarten age to college age, and it has been a very valuable experience. I have been the father figure for one of them (single mother family), so I have been involved in bringing him up. I'd say the single most important thing about raising them is not trying to raise them Buddhist, but trying to raise them as thinking, caring people who live and breathe compassion. They respect you more for that than trying to make them learn some dogma by rote. I know that's true with my "son". He practices compassion as an integral part of his life without even having to think about it, but yet he doesn't really identify with Buddhism as a religion or have any desire at this stage in his life (he's 18 and a junior already in college) to be a part of the sangha per se. And that's OK, because I know that he'll eventually come to it when he's ready, and what's more important is that he's already living the teachings. How wonderful!

Palzang

Superb, Palzang. And what joy to have an extended family.

When it was my task to teach "religious education" teachers, I used to have a large notice which I put up at everyu seminar. It read: "Holiness cannot be taught. It can only be caught."
    edited December 2005
    I would have to say I agree with Palzang on this one.

I don't think force feeding a child religion (or very many types of thought processes) is the way to develop a mind that can think on it's own.

I always said I would expose my child to a number of different thought processes and then let him decide for himself.

-bf