Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has anybody read this book?

B5CB5C Veteran
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
http://www.amazon.com/Confession-Buddhist-Atheist-Stephen-Batchelor/dp/0385527063

Confession of a Buddhist Atheist

I saw it at my local Borders book. I am just curious about it.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yes. It is excellent. It's been discussed here before.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes. Not a fan. His arguments are usually a little less sensational.
    This one seemed to me that he jettisoned critical thinking in favor of being provocative etc.
    edited November 2010
    Can you give some examples, Shenpen?
  • edited November 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Can you give some examples, Shenpen?

The later sections in the book that touched on some of the more heated elements of Tibetan politics etc. were over simplified and poorly presented in my opinion. This made me think that he made the conscious decision to be provocative. I think he is smarter than the narrative voice in this book in general.
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, I didn't get that impression, but I don't know a whole lot about Tibetan politics, I guess. What's the worst misrepresentation in the book?
  • edited November 2010
    I only got half way through the book and didn't pick it up again. Lots of westerners have followed that same trail to India and elsewhere and some have come to similar conclusions - they just haven't written about it. There was nothing new or interesting to read especially since I've had connections with Tibetan Buddhism myself - and I found it extremely boring.
    Maybe it improves later but the thought of continuing to read it just didn't appeal.

I also get the impression that Stephen Batchelor is quite attention seeking - after all, getting media attention brings various 'rewards'.:)

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well I am an Atheist. After a few months I've moved my self from Agnostic too Atheist because there is no proof of gods and also the Abramhic religions has brought more suffering in this world and it's corruption.

I have a scientific mind. I never get the concept of Tibetan ideals of keeping deities. I would accept that the deities are just metaphors.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I found it a thoughtful, conscientious evaluation of Buddhism from the perspective of modern secularism. I wasn't quite convinced by his rejection of certain aspects of the suttas on the grounds that they were simply part of the preexisting culture of Indian spirituality, but I still enjoyed it.

You'll find that some people have a bizarre, irrational distrust of Batchelor and his work. Personally, I'm glad he's receiving this attention because I otherwise may not have found his voice. He grapples with some of the same reservations I myself had with Buddhism and I think other Westerners might find their own qualms echoed in his work and may appreciate having these sentiments being articulated in the relative mainstream.