Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

about death and awareness

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
hey all,

From my life i can tell people are aware. Their percieving of the world is from my observation similair to mine. When i see that there is no longer a awareness in the body where there used to be one (death). how can i then be sure that there is an ongoing awareness (reincarnation... and the idea that enlightment assures this)

greets

Comments

• edited November 2010
    You can't. It's one of the imponderables.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited November 2010

I would consider it more helpful to simply observe that the body is alive if its alive and dead if its dead. The 'awareness after death' question becomes moot once one really accepts death as natural and normal. Is there a reason you're looking to find something eternal?

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited November 2010
    Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist.
    - (the real) Epicurus
  • edited November 2010
    Reincarnation is a concept, that some people like to hold onto, to ease the suffering brought about by the fear of death. See death for what it is, nobody really knows what happens next.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Imponderable. I like that. Yep, that's what it is. Ultimately unknowable on our level.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The universe is a free flowing conscience. no space, no time no matter, no start no end. at one point you did not exist and again you will not. Truely you never do exist yet you do. "Reality" is what is in the current moment. Its not really concrete. The reality that we know know is the universe getting lost with in abstract thoughts that derived from silence. It is a dream. When one dies yet still has attachment to this dream they fear letting go and and remain in this dream. They wonder around for 49 days desiring body. Through thought manifestation inevitable they reincarnate to body. When one in life comes to fully realise and be aware that this is a dream they become lucid within it. At death they do not desire body, they do not desire anything of the physical manifestation and stay in hyper conscience were absolute awarness is. Were mind has not forgotten what it is. Were there is everything and nothing. were there is no space, time, matter, or even existence. All just is. you always have just been mind but in the event of enligment mind becomes aware of mind. This is tough to explain. I hope I left it as much paradox free and understandable as possible
  • edited November 2010
    Finding0, can you give us your source for that?
    edited November 2010
    it is what I have come to be naturally aware of in my path. I have gathered it in studying quantum physics. Doing meditation. And taking part in shamanism. Buddhism as well
  • edited December 2010
    finding0 wrote: »
    It is a dream

dreaming is reality itself, but our thiking mind tries to named it something else than reality purely because the event could not be reobtained by own initiative
  • edited December 2010
    432145 wrote: »
    dreaming is reality itself, but our thiking mind tries to named it something else than reality purely because the event could not be reobtained by own initiative

I don't understand. If you could give a Buddhist source for this perhaps I would be able to understand what you are trying to say, but as it stands, this, to me, is very hard to understand.
  • edited December 2010
    Retreat! Retreat to the authority of scripture! :P
  • edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    Retreat! Retreat to the authority of scripture! :P

We have to have some point of reference in these discussions so that they don't devolve into (sometimes incomprehensible) statements of personal speculation. This forum is "Buddhism for Beginners", and if we don't use something in Buddhism as a point of reference, then discussions can get off into imponderables and idle speculation. I'm not even saying that we have to "retreat to the authority of scripture", but if we don't have a point of reference in Buddhism as opposed to personal speculation or personal thought and opinion, then these discussions can get sidetracked pretty easily.
  • edited December 2010
    You keep asking for finding0 to back up her/his (apparently) personal statements with scripture (or citation -- as if you think she was plagiarizing) is my point. That's all.

Clarification need not be accompanied by the authority of scripture. And in Buddhism (generally speaking) understanding need only rely on perception or inference.

Frankly, I welcome discussion of the "imponderables". And it is my experience with almost EVERY tradition that the 4 imponderables are discussed all the time!

1) The Buddha-range of the Buddhas. This is discussed extensively in Mahayana literature. Quite elegantly, I might add.

2) The jhana-range of one absorbed in jhana. This is described and discussed in practically every tradition. Including the Pali, which states this is an imponderable.

3) The results of kamma. This is described all the time also. You can read in the Pali canon the story of a Prince who murdered his father to become King. Buddha explains that he will be tortured in Hell for a thousand years by his own son. Is that not a discussion of the imponderable results of kamma, no less by Buddha himself?

4) Speculation about the cosmos. See, the Agganna Sutta and others.

So, those are the four. But, you put the discussion of death and after-death in there didn't you?

Well, why not discuss the process of death, the awareness during the process of death, and the ceasing of the process of death and the initiation of the process of birth?

These issues are described in great detail by many Buddhists. See, Tibetan Book of the Dead for example.
  • edited December 2010
    I am not asking for specifically scriptural citations. I just want to separate Buddhist statements from personal statements. I think that's important to these discussions. That's all. Finding0 says:

it is what I have come to be naturally aware of in my path. I have gathered it in studying quantum physics. Doing meditation. And taking part in shamanism. Buddhism as well

Buddhism is mentioned last in the list of sources for the statement. This forum is "Buddhism for Beginners". It's important to know what comes from Buddhism as a source and what comes from personal experience or other sources. If I find something interesting, I need to know where it comes from and where I can find out more.

The OP is asking how he can know if a person that he has just observed to die will have an ongoing awareness and be reborn. I simply submit that he cannot directly know that. Certainly the Tibetan Book of the Dead has some good indications of what happens after death and may be a good source for some, but it is ultimately unknowable from this side. I happen to like the Tibetan Book of the Dead's rendition of what happens after death, but that doesn't mean that I can know with any certainty from this side, which is what the OP is asking.
  • edited December 2010
    SherabDorje,

What I am trying to address, I guess, is this issue of deciding what is "Buddhist" and what is not.

"Buddhist statements"? Is that the same thing as dogma, "a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative"?
    Some Buddhists claim that the mind-stream lasts through death and into Buddhahood.
    Other Buddhists believe that even that continuum ends.

So, my question is: how does the "Buddhism" label imputed on a statement help us to understand whether a statement is in accord with reality?

Which one of the above statements is in accord with reality?
    The description of a personal experience of understanding should be judged on its own merits, judged as to whether it is in accord with reality. Not everything that is in accord with reality is explicitly "Buddhist". Not everything tagged as "Buddhist" is in accord with reality.

Personally, I have no problem with saying that anything (regardless of it being explicitly Buddhist or not) that is in accord with reality is therefore dharma.

IMO, everyone is a "Buddhist" whether they profess so or not. They remain in "samsara" whether the believe in it or not. They reach "enlightenment" whether they believe in it or not. This is a universalism much like the Christian belief that sinners will got to Hell even if they don't believe in Hell.
  • edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    What I am trying to address, I guess, is this issue of deciding what is "Buddhist" and what is not.

"Buddhist statements"? Is that the same thing as dogma, "a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative"?
    Some Buddhists claim that the mind-stream lasts through death and into Buddhahood.
    Other Buddhists believe that even that continuum ends.

So, my question is: how does the "Buddhism" label imputed on a statement help us to understand whether a statement is in accord with reality?

Which one of the above statements is in accord with reality?
    The description of a personal experience of understanding should be judged on its own merits, judged as to whether it is in accord with reality. Not everything that is in accord with reality is explicitly "Buddhist". Not everything tagged as "Buddhist" is in accord with reality.

Personally, I have no problem with saying that anything (regardless of it being explicitly Buddhist or not) that is in accord with reality is therefore dharma.

IMO, everyone is a "Buddhist" whether they profess so or not. They remain in "samsara" whether the believe in it or not. They reach "enlightenment" whether they beleive in it or not. This is a universalism much like the Christian belief that sinners will got to Hell even if they don't believe in Hell.

I guess the only final answer I have for you is that, for purposes of posting on this forum, the Administrator and Moderators have the final say in what is Buddhist and what is not. The forum is named "Buddhism for Beginners", and it's their forum. Apparently they allow very free-form discussions just for the sake of allowing free discourse.

If you're going to say that "everyone is a "Buddhist" whether they profess so or not.", then you allow absolutely any discussion of any subject whatsoever to take place here regardless of whether or not it appears to have any connection with historical Buddhism, Buddhist commentarial literature, or anything of the sort. According to this notion, you would allow discussion of something like the plight of polar bears in the Arctic because "everyone is a Buddhist" and therefore that affects us as Buddhists. All I am saying is that discussions here need to relate in some way to some aspect of Buddhism as opposed to the rest of the entire discourse of human civilization, which you would allow, because "everyone is a Buddhist". There have to be guidelines for discussion. That's all I'm saying. Otherwise people can just write whatever they want to here, including representing their own personal experience as validly "Buddhist" because, as you say, "everyone is a Buddhist".

I cannot tell you which of the statements regarding what happens to the mind-stream after death because I cannot know from this side, and I believe that no one really can. And I cannot tell you how the label "Buddhism" attached to a particular rendition of reality can be judged, because apparently you would allow anything at all to be stated and regarded as authoritatively "Buddhist" because "everyone is a Buddhist".

If there are no guidelines for discussion, no limits recognized as to what is or is not "Buddhist", and people can "just write stuff" from their own experience and apparently from their own authority, and it is felt to be validly Buddhist because "everyone is a Buddhist", then meaningful discussion falls apart completely, and we end up discussing "how many hungry ghosts can dance on the head of a pin". I think the onus is now on you to give us guidelines for how discussions should take place here, because "everyone is a Buddhist".
    edited December 2010
    ok let me explain my path and why i said what I said. I studied quantum physics hard core. I then began using dmt, it is realsed into the brain by the pineal gland during sleep, very deep meditation, and at death. It is meditation on steroids. I honestly probably hold the world record of its usage hahaha. It shows you what its like to have no body (death) the other side is possible to experience in life. Most will not believe it untill they try it them self. People think well how do you know thats what its like. Honestly there is no way to explain. You just know. But anyway in this process I gained so much wisdom and understanding. The dmt and quantum physics paralleled perfectly. Quantum physics no longer was theory to me but concluded as absolute fact. It was not only until a few months ago i actually started looking into buddhism and to my surprise buddha spoke of everything I knew and understood. So now buddhism parollels with quantum physics and dmt. What I said in my reply is in my own words because that is how I learned the way. They are my words. But they have the same meaning of the buddhas.
  • edited December 2010
    Any statement should be judged as valid on the basis of it being in accord with reality, not with its accord with "Buddhism". And, yes, my quotation marks are meant to imply that there is no single, authoritative Buddhism. Buddhisms disagree. Often. Repeatedly.

Reality stays the same regardless of the disagreements.

Everyone has access to this reality and everyone has the opportunity to live in accord with this reality. This ability transcends the labels of "Buddhist" and "non-Buddhist". IMO, to harp on the appropriateness of the definition, to appeal to the discretion of others (you mention the web administrators, and I assure you I am not trying to police the board) in maintaining a particular definition misses my point entirely.

I believe that you also misrepresent my argument so as to reduce it to absurdity. E.g. you think that the plight of polar bears is not fit to be discussed on a Buddhist forum. This, to me, ignores the very interesting field of "Buddhist" ecology and environmentalism, which certainly, IMO, could be appropriately discussed here. (Well, perhaps not this thread.)

I'm sorry, though, my onus to myself is to break through the neat little boxes we think accurately define things. There is no clear, black line defining the form of Buddhism. Neither is there a clear, black-and-white delineation of what is not Buddhist.

IMO, at death ALL the conceptual delineations are removed. There you can color outside the lines, as it were. Desire for something other than a blank page to draw on will result in the rebirth of the coloring book, with its nice clear, black lines.

finding0 wrote: »
    The dmt

Cherish the realizations achieved by the experience of meditating on materials; I know I do. But do not become attached to the idea that materials are necessary; I'm sure you aren't.

For some reason, this is a very taboo topic on this board. But, IMO, if you can maintain mindfulness while on material, then it has not intoxicated you.
    edited December 2010
    no Im not. stopped using dmt and now rely on my self to continue on my path. Materials only get you so far. they certainly got me very far. But it's no enlightenment. And I know enlightenment will not come from such but self
  • edited December 2010
    Since I cannot replicate your experiences or experience your experiences, I don't see sufficient structure here for continued discussion.

Thanks.
    edited December 2010
    just keep an open heart to not only my words but others. Closing your heart to what somebody says will be a log in your road. Truth is found in your self non the less though
  • edited December 2010
    Since I cannot replicate your experiences or experience your experiences, I don't see sufficient structure here for continued discussion.

Thanks.

Not to be a nit picker, but you can never replicate another's experience or experience what they have experienced. So if you are unwilling to listen to another's experience with an open mind, you will never be able to have an honest discussion.
  • edited December 2010
    Who said I don't have an open mind, or that I don't intend to keep an open mind? I'm just saying that there's not a whole lot in my own experience that I can use to verify what's in their experience. I certainly plan to keep an open mind, but sometimes these discussions get rather far afield and there's only so much a person can do to keep up. I'm just saying that I don't see sufficient structure in this discussion to keep it going, and that I choose to no longer participate because of that. But that doesn't mean I don't have an open mind, or don't plan to keep an open mind. One simply has to choose what to attend to and what not to attend to.
  • edited December 2010
    Fair enough.

But it seems to me like you are imposing an underlying belief system to the conversation, which is telling you that the discussion has gone "far afield" from what you would prefer to discuss.

Not saying that is bad or anything. If you decide its not worth your time, than don't give it any time, like you said.

Sorry again, just nit picking, not trying to judge.
  • edited December 2010
    But it seems to me like you are imposing an underlying belief system to the conversation, which is telling you that the discussion has gone "far afield" from what you would prefer to discuss.

I am. It has.