Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Poetry... maybe influenced by Buddhism... maybe not... suggestions?

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm interested in getting into reading poetry. I never took a poetry class, barely studied any literature in college and own no collections of poetry. My favorite poem, to my limited knowledge & to date, is "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am a bit more interested in a collection of multiple writers but I am open to all suggestions. It could be Buddhist influenced, or not.

Part of why I ask is my wife and I are watching "The Great Debaters" and the characters' lives seem so enriched by poetry... I'm envious of having such beauty in one's life.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    There's not enough of a Buddhist influence in "Howl" to make it worth your time. Based on my own experience (I'm 58 and Ginsberg was the first real poetry I ever read) "Howl" is only marginally worth your time. There may be more thorough Buddhist influence in Ginsberg's later work (I'm thinking I remember he was around the Chogyam Trungpa group), but I doubt that that would be worth your time either.

And furthermore, I don't recommend Jack Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" for anything approximating real Buddhism either- not even as a snapshot of early "American" Buddhism.

My brief answer is don't waste your time on it. Take it with you if you have a whole lot of time on your hands, like you plan to get stuck in an airport or something, but prioritize it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back on your reading list. Unless you want to know about the early Beatnik movement, in which case Kerouac and Ginsberg are must-reads, but only for that purpose. As serious literature or Buddhist literature it's just not happening.

Maybe try Robert Bly and find names associated with him- I don't think it's Buddhist but I remember it to be good reading. And I'm thinking maybe Robert Creely too, and Gary Snyder. The main character in Dharma Bums is based on Gary Snyder, and it might be worthwhile for that reason, but I don't think so. Better to read Gary Snyder's own poetry, and then find the names of people that he associated with- except of course for Kerouac and Ginsberg. I'm sorry I'm so down on Ginsberg tonight, but for me anything after Howl was a real disappointment, and as I look back Howl needs to be taken in the perspective of other better writers of that time period.

IMHO.
  • edited December 2010
    Oh thank you Sherab - I should clarify. I really am just looking for "good poetry." Regardless of its influence.
  • edited December 2010
    See the edited post. You're quite welcome.
  • edited December 2010
    This is my favorite book of poetry. FREE
    It happened in a way that the time was perfect and there was a growth of a whole dividing time so that where formerly there was no mistake there was no mistake now. For instance before when there was a separation there was waiting, now when there is separation there is the division between intending and departing. This made no more mixture than there would be if there had been no change. ROOMS
  • edited December 2010
    upalabhava wrote: »
    This is my favorite book of poetry. FREE

With that avatar you'd better be giving things away for free...:D

Gertrude Stein is a good suggestion though.
  • edited December 2010
    <table id="table21" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 100%;"><table style="width: 2px; height: 1px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="30">
    </td> <td style="width: 100%;" valign="top"> <table align="right" border="0" width="200"> <tbody><tr> <td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>Boo, Forever</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td valign="top"><table id="table23" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="30">
    </td><td style="width: 100%;" valign="top">Spinning like a ghost
    on the bottom of a
    top,
    I'm haunted by all
    the space that I
    will live without
    you.

Richard Brautigan </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
  • edited December 2010
    matsuo basho was a 17th century japanese haiku poet
  • edited December 2010
    With Metta,
    Maybe these Zendo

http://villagezendo.org/2010/11/study-text-winter-2010/
    When we realize actuality,
    There is no distinction between mind and thing
    And the path to hell instantly vanishes.
    If this is a lie to fool the world,
    My tongue may be cut out forever.
    Once we awaken to the Tathagata-Zen,
    The six noble deeds and the ten thousand good actions
    Are already complete within us.
    In our dream we see the six levels of illusion clearly;
    After we awaken the whole universe is empty.
    No bad fortune, no good fortune, no loss, no gain;
    Never seek such things in eternal serenity.
    For years the dusty mirror has gone uncleaned,
    Now let us polish it completely, once and for all.
    Who has no-thought? Who is not-born?
    If we are truly not-born,
    We are not un-born either.
    Ask a robot if this is not so.
    How can we realize ourselves
    By virtuous deeds or by seeking the Buddha?

http://www.hsuyun.org/chan/en/home.html
  • edited December 2010
    meta, though I would just answer again, after the Merton enquiry. Myself, I left school with a total apathy towards poetry of all kinds, the apathy nurtured by the only poems that I had been introduced to...i.e. celebration great British naval battles, or the burying of various heroes who had died in a multitude of foreign lands extending the realms of the Empire by fair means or foul. I was saved from this apathy by the writings of the British satarist and journalist Malcolm Muggeridge, who interspersed his fine writing with constant references to couplets by the poet (and mystic) William Blake. One day, while browsing, I picked up a volume by Blake, which included the simple - yet profound - series of poems "Songs of Innocence and Experience." So via Muggeridge - thank you - and Blake I had my eyes opened to various delights, which eventually extended from Blake to many others.

To be honest I find many modern poets obscure, yet when one does hit the nail on the head, more real for me than most of the poets from pre WW1 (some sort of watershed) I love Philip Larkin but perhaps we each have to find our own connections.

Someone mentioned Basho, and I do love his "Narrow Road to the Deep North".

There are various anthologies, I suppose another google would help!

Not really sure just what you would call "Buddhist" poetry, though you have not specified that anyway.

I always find the following "Buddhist" (if we want to use the word), but others may disagree...

For the garden is the only place there is, but you will not
    find it
    Until you have looked everywhere and found nowhere
    that is not a desert. (W.H.Auden)

We shall not cease from exploration
    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time. (T.S.Eliot)

Then we have the whimsical fancies of Billy Collins, "Shovelling Snow with Buddha"....

In the usual iconography of the temple or the local Wok
    you would never see him doing such a thing,
    tossing the dry snow over a mountain
    of his bare, round shoulder,
    his hair tied in a knot,
    a model of concentration.

Sitting is more his speed, if that is the word
    for what he does, or does not do.

Even the season is wrong for him.
    In all his manifestations, is it not warm or slightly humid?
    Is this not implied by his serene expression,
    that smile so wide it wraps itself around the waist of the universe?

But here we are, working our way down the driveway,
    one shovelful at a time.
    We toss the light powder into the clear air.
    We feel the cold mist on our faces.
    And with every heave we disappear
    and become lost to each other
    in these sudden clouds of our own making,
    these fountain-bursts of snow.

This is so much better than a sermon in church,
    I say out loud, but Buddha keeps on shoveling.
    This is the true religion, the religion of snow,
    and sunlight and winter geese barking in the sky,
    I say, but he is too busy to hear me.

He has thrown himself into shoveling snow
    as if it were the purpose of existence,
    as if the sign of a perfect life were a clear driveway
    you could back the car down easily
    and drive off into the vanities of the world
    with a broken heater fan and a song on the radio.

All morning long we work side by side,
    me with my commentary
    and he inside his generous pocket of silence,
    until the hour is nearly noon
    and the snow is piled high all around us;
    then, I hear him speak.

After this, he asks,
    can we go inside and play cards?

Certainly, I reply, and I will heat some milk
    and bring cups of hot chocolate to the table
    while you shuffle the deck.
    and our boots stand dripping by the door.

Aaah, says the Buddha, lifting his eyes
    and leaning for a moment on his shovel
    before he drives the thin blade again
    deep into the glittering white snow.

Anyway, hot soup calls and I must go. Happy trawling....

:)