Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Buddha via the Bible" - How Western Biblical exegesis has distorted our Buddhist practice

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Today
http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/CrossIndexed/Uncollected/MiscEssays/TheBuddhaViaTheBible.pdf

By Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Do note that the second part of the title of this discussion is actually my own summarisation, and not part of the original text. Basically, this essay is all about how the exegetical aspect of Romanticism has distorted Western Buddhists' understanding of the Pali Canon.

Therefore, I think this is an -extremely- pertinent essay to our practice. In my view, perhaps it's time we stopped being "Western" Buddhists altogether.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    DD (Dhamma Dhatu): I find it hard to believe Thanissaro Bhikkhu would spend time writing such an essay. For what purpose?

TB (Thanissaro) said: John Cassian also argued for the richness of the Bible's language, stating that it could carry up to four levels of meaning: one literal or historical and three metaphorical.

DD: This does not apply to Buddhism. The Bible, from OT to NT is primarily a parable, although there are many direct teachings. Buddha did not teach in parables. Even subjects like rebirth, where two levels of truth apply, is a consistant teaching about karma. Rebirth is about the results of actions. Buddha taught rebirth like this (rather than meta-physically). As for the supramundane teachings; they are very direct & literal. TB makes many dubious translations on the supramundane level, such as the bizzare "five clinging aggregates". In reality, the mind clings to the aggregrates. The aggregates themselves do not cling. Well, only one aggregate does all of the clinging.

TB said: To read the Canon as poetry may yield new meanings unintended by the compilers, but that simply advances a process at work throughout Buddhist history. Some thinkers have explained this process as a form of vitalism, with Buddhism or the Dharma identified as the vital force.

DD: Disagree. The Buddha spoke about 'slandering the Tathagata'. We must be very careful here.

TB said: The idea that spiritual life is a search for unity depends on the assumption that the universe is an organic whole, and that the whole is essentially good. The Canon, however, consistently portrays the goal of the spiritual life as transcendence: The world—which is synonymous with the All (SN 35:23)—is a dangerous river over which one has to cross to safety on the other side. The state of oneness or non-duality is conditioned (AN 10:29): still immersed in the river, unsafe. In reaching nibbana, one is not returning to the source of things (MN 1), but reaching something never reached before (AN 5:77): a dimension beyond all space and time. And in attaining this dimension, one is not establishing a new identity, for all identities—even infinite ones (DN 15)—ultimately prevent that attainment, and so have to be dropped.

DD: Transcendence means to not suffer in relation to the world due to deliverance via wisdom. Whereas oneness or non-duality is unity via concentration. But transcendence does not negate 'unity'. To the contrary, deliverance via wisdom offers a superior unity than non-duality. When a theistic regards the world as God's creation under God's doing, there is a unity or harmony here. Similarly, when transcendence via wisdom is acheived, there is also a unity with the world because the world is understood. TB's notion of "transcendence" seems to be "other worldly" or the end of physical rebirths, like Nibbana after death rather than Nibbana here & now.

TB said: The Canon states clearly that there is only one path to nibbana (DN 16). Trying to find awakening in ways apart from the noble eightfold path is like trying to squeeze oil from gravel, or milking a cow by twisting its horn (MN 126). The Buddhas knowledge of the way to awakening is like that of an expert gatekeeper who knows, after encircling the walls of a city, that there‟s only one way into the city: the gate he guards (AN 10:95).

DD: Sure. However, TB seems to contradict himself with his "poetic" approach to the Cannon and his bizzaro translations, such as "the five clinging aggregates". If one believes the five aggregates "cling", this is not the simple path of the Buddha, who advised regarding the five aggregates as "I" or "mine" is clinging.

DD: To end, imo, this essay is rather intellectual. It is as though there is a competition between TB and Ajahn Sujato about who can write the longest most useless intellectual essay. Sorry to sound so critical. But in the end, I can only give my opinion that the distortions are in TB's often bizzare translations. Rather than being advice to others, TB's essay, to me, sounds like a personal confession.

Kind regards

DD

:)
  • Thank you for that conversation, DD. Is it a transcription or imagined? Should we read it as poetic metaphor or apply the precepts of the Higher Criticism?

My own initial take on this essay is that TB does not fully grasp - and why should he? - the diversity of Christian and Jewish Biblical study, criticism and exegesis. Indeed, I doubt whether there is anyone, even among the most rarefied realms of theological academe, who could effectively delineate or encompass the whole field.

And this is precisely because the Bible and its ancillary documents is a far more diffuse and complex set of texts than the beautiful simplicity of so much fundamental Buddhist sutras. Here are none of the tropes and allegories of the Hindu or Judaeo-Christian canon.

In effect, the hermeneutics are different because they apply to different categories of text.

As for the difference over translation, I am in no position to judge. I can understand your argument, DD, and have no Pali to be able to judge. Translation is such a bitch - as any Biblical scholar will admit.
  • http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/CrossIndexed/Uncollected/MiscEssays/TheBuddhaViaTheBible.pdf

By Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Do note that the second part of the title of this discussion is actually my own summarisation, and not part of the original text. Basically, this essay is all about how the exegetical aspect of Romanticism has distorted Western Buddhists' understanding of the Pali Canon.

Therefore, I think this is an -extremely- pertinent essay to our practice. In my view, perhaps it's time we stopped being "Western" Buddhists altogether.
    A fascinating read, written by a highly intelligent man. Unfortunately, it's an intelligence misapplied in this case and comes to the wrong conclusion because he started with a wrong assumption.

"As a result, the Romantic/Transcendentalist view has become an established paradigm in Western culture for viewing the relative status of psychology and religious texts.

Actually, no. The Romantic/Transcendentalist view holds sway only in the hallowed halls of academia. Western culture clings very firmly to the Literalist view of the Bible. Quite frankly, this shows a confusion between his own liberal culture and the majority of Western civilization. That he then goes on to criticize this imaginary Western mindset is puzzling for such an insightful man.

The Literalist view demands that the sacred writings, whether the Bible or Pali Canon, be historically and factually accurate and that not only the miracles and myths included in the writings be taken literally, but the writings themselves must be miraculously inspired and inerrant. Literalism means the original writings might have been first put on paper thousands of years ago, by a man who knew nothing of the world beyond his tiny part of it, wrote of events that happened well before his time, and had no idea of how natural laws worked...but miraculously, the sacred somehow used this man to transmit a perfect record both historically and theologically.

So to almost every Christian, Noah really did save all the animals by building a big boat while God drowned the entire world. God really did raise a divine son from the dead. It's not metaphor, not myth, but literal truth. That is Western culture's stand on how to read sacred scripture. At least, their own sacred scriptures. The author of this piece makes the mistake of thinking people treat all religious writings the same. The entire problem can be summed in the statement, "Our scripture is literal and the revealed truth, of course, because our religion is the true religion. But those sutras about that foreign guy Buddha are myths because the belief is false."

And we have taken these assumptions with us in practicing Buddhism. We see our sacred writings as revealed truth, but now those other religious writings are myth and teach a false or imperfect message, so the writings are imperfect. In other words, Thanissaro Bhikkhu has nothing to worry about. Western Buddhists will follow the human desire for certainty and consider the Sutras as literal and inerrant, refusing to separate metaphor, myth and plain mistake from the Dharma.

Of course, an educated person will apply literary analysis to all writings, sacred or otherwise, in order to better understand the reality of what the original author is trying to say. To understand the message, we must understand the problems of translation between languages, the cultural assumptions of the people doing the writing, and even who is writing it and for what audience. That opens up the Dharma into a fascinating living journey of discovery, not just a list of Precepts and terms to be memorized.

So, perhaps what the sutras need is exactly what he criticizes.

• Now having read through the whole essay, I remain unsure as to why it was written. It is certainly a long argument. I'm sorry that the 'dialogue' does not contain attributions for the quotations so that we could test their contextual validity. The review of the development of biblical criticism omitted Spinoza, which was a pity as he started the whole Enlightenment approach, and the accumulation of names only led us to a very US-centric view.

One thing he says which is, I think, at the very heart of all these debates, is about authority. Despite rejecting the Biblical appeal to authority, it is precisely an authority ascribed to the Pali Canon which provides him with is conclusions. The authority card is forced by sleight of hand, just as in any other 'fundamentalist' argument.
  • By the way, his beef is actually with any school of Buddhism other than his own, not just Western Buddhism. He practices a very conservative tradition with a small, closed Canon of sutras. His objections basically amount to saying his is the old time religion and those liberal schools like Zen and such have strayed from the path.

Again, this might be true, but it's nothing new. Schools of Buddhism have criticized each other over the centuries. The conservative schools say the new schools are distorting what their scriptures say is the correct, time honored practice by their ancestors, and the new schools say they are simply translating the Dharma into a new language and cultural setting to keep it alive.

Tradition versus innovation. That's being human.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    non-duality is not concentration as my teacher refers. It actually has a diffusion - E - and a clarity - Vam. Not because it is non-duality, but because awareness is always that way. Every experience has a samadhi to it. And every experience has a moment when it ends and clear light. We just don't notice these. (Recollecting my teachers talks). Non-duality is just a concept. It points to the experience of eating an apple and not imagining that an apple (outside) is going into your body and producing tasting sensations (inside) and thoughts (inside). There is no inside and outside. Just apple, taste, thoughts. If a dog realized this when eating dog food he would be a dog with some degree of non-dual realization. Dogs probably don't have this awareness :).

Duality is just thinking. Non-duality is the absence of that thinking. DD, I am not contradicting you, I am just pointing out that my teacher uses this term, non-duality, in a much different way than you are explaining.

The reason that noticing duality is just thinking is liberating is because you don't conceptualize a me (inside) that is battling a world (outside). This prevents such problems as anxiety - worry of lack of control of 'outer world'. And depression projecting the problem onto a flawed pride based self.

Any time you realize that some assumed thinking is just like an illusion (like not is) you let go of some grasping and prapancha. Non-dual realization is not enlightenment, but it is cutting through some entanglements of wrong views exposing the wall of doubt in trusting your own experience.
  • first of all... jesus christ may have being a bodhisattva (key fetter that was never broken :: conceit); probably an anågami'n (because of this fetter).

Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudeorum

however, for 2 millenia there have being ppl that said this man... resurrected. This testimony can not be ignored by sangha... even if the bible is not Dharma. we may research this, and confirm the knowledge through tathagatagarbha (with whichever access we have to "it").

this means, after death... (and going to sudavasa vihara); he may have returned... an anågami, that returns.

either way, there's a lot of ignorance in any type of interReligious debate (in any debate for that matter)... and christianity is actually a roman religion (it could have being better to have gnostic christianism "win"... but, 'ism's are too weak to survive... the Dharma is "bullet-proof").
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2011
    TB makes many dubious translations on the supramundane level, such as the bizzare "five clinging aggregates". In reality, the mind clings to the aggregrates. The aggregates themselves do not cling. Well, only one aggregate does all of the clinging.
    Personally, I don't see anything dubious about translating the compound panca-upadana-khandha as 'five clinging-aggregates'; it's a fairly literal translation. And while I agree that something like 'five aggregates subject to clinging' would be a lot clearer, I think you're misrepresenting Thanissaro's translation considering that he never implies the aggregates themselves cling, only that they're 'clingable' (e.g., SN 22.48).
    Transcendence means to not suffer in relation to the world due to deliverance via wisdom. Whereas oneness or non-duality is unity via concentration. But transcendence does not negate 'unity'. To the contrary, deliverance via wisdom offers a superior unity than non-duality. When a theistic regards the world as God's creation under God's doing, there is a unity or harmony here. Similarly, when transcendence via wisdom is acheived, there is also a unity with the world because the world is understood. TB's notion of "transcendence" seems to be "other worldly" or the end of physical rebirths, like Nibbana after death rather than Nibbana here & now.
    It's seems clear to me that he's referring to both.
    Sure. However, TB seems to contradict himself with his "poetic" approach to the Cannon and his bizzaro translations, such as "the five clinging aggregates". If one believes the five aggregates "cling", this is not the simple path of the Buddha, who advised regarding the five aggregates as "I" or "mine" is clinging.
    Again, I think you're misrepresenting Thanissaro's views here. I'm pretty familiar with both his translations and his original works, and as far as I can recall, he never presents the aggregates as things that cling, but he always refers to them as clingable phenomena on top of which we construct our sense of self in a process of 'I-making' and 'my-making' (e.g., MN 109).
    To end, imo, this essay is rather intellectual. It is as though there is a competition between TB and Ajahn Sujato about who can write the longest most useless intellectual essay. Sorry to sound so critical. But in the end, I can only give my opinion that the distortions are in TB's often bizzare translations. Rather than being advice to others, TB's essay, to me, sounds like a personal confession.
    Ad hominem aside, it is a fairly intellectual essay; one that deals with how certain themes from European Romanticism and the American Transcendentalist movement have influenced the way we often approach Buddhism in the West (especially in academia, since much of this probably stems from what he learned while attending Oberlin College), and how it's important to examine some of the assumptions that we bring as we come to the Dhamma. Of course, the subject matter won't interest everyone, and probably doesn't apply to as many people as the author may think, but I don't think that in and of itself makes it useless.
    edited January 2011
    One thing he says which is, I think, at the very heart of all these debates, is about authority. Despite rejecting the Biblical appeal to authority, it is precisely an authority ascribed to the Pali Canon which provides him with is conclusions. The authority card is forced by sleight of hand, just as in any other 'fundamentalist' argument.
    This is a good point, Simon, and I agree with you to a certain extent. I do, however, think that Thanissaro makes a valid distinction between how the two are approached.
  • One thing he says which is, I think, at the very heart of all these debates, is about authority. Despite rejecting the Biblical appeal to authority, it is precisely an authority ascribed to the Pali Canon which provides him with is conclusions. The authority card is forced by sleight of hand, just as in any other 'fundamentalist' argument.

This is a good point, Simon, and I agree with you to a certain extent. I do, however, think that Thanissaro makes a valid distinction between how the two are approached.
    I agree entirely, Jason. The question is put: where does authority lie? Does it lie in our 'intuition' (whatever that might be) or in external teachings? Because it is clear that both are tools to understanding, how do they stand in relation to each other?

Although TB and others see this reliance on personal judgment ('intuition': being taught from within) as being a result of the Enlightenment project, its roots are much earlier. The Protestant revolution is largely based on the premise that each believer is endowed with the 'grace' to read and understand Scripture. Although the Reformers, like Calvin and Knox, believed that this would lead to a consensus of the justified, the result was (as the Counter-Reformation understood) a fracturing of beliefs.

Precisely the same process appears to have operated within the Buddhisms. It is the inevitable result of freedom of thought: people just won't think the same things, damn them!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The biggest puzzle and problem with his whole argument is that the particular examples he gives, such as the Canon not teaching empty mind or clear mind, have nothing at all to do with the West. The Mahayana versus Theravadan split certainly has nothing to do with Western Biblical exegesis, and neither does the Chan schools of China and resulting Japanese Zen coming down solidly on the side of intuitive instead of external authority.

So why bring the Western reformation movement into it at all?
  • Authority ulimately rests in your own discernment. If you find a teaching to be good then good. If not then obviously your not going to apply THAT teaching.
  • The biggest puzzle and problem with his whole argument is that the particular examples he gives, such as the Canon not teaching empty mind or clear mind, have nothing at all to do with the West. The Mahayana versus Theravadan split certainly has nothing to do with Western Biblical exegesis, and neither does the Chan schools of China and resulting Japanese Zen coming down solidly on the side of intuitive instead of external authority.
    What TB is trying to say, as I read him, is that there is a 'Western' approach to scriptures which majors on the allegorical, which he considers inappropriate for Buddhist hermeneutics.

In addition, because he sees this approach as being a result of developments in Biblical criricism, he engages with the contemporary view that, as Jeffrey says:
    Authority ulimately rests in your own discernment. If you find a teaching to be good then good. If not then obviously your not going to apply THAT teaching.
    By and large, as a group, here on New Buddhist, the prevailing belief is that each person has the right, the duty and, ultimately, the ability to judge what 'fits' them. Authority comes from within. Time after time we have members saying that they have now found a particular style or school of Buddhism which they choose to adopt. The grounds on which this choice is made vary in detail but boil down to a personal commitment summarised by a form of words similar to the traditional Refuge statement, either/both publicly and/or privately (in corde).

TB suggests that this primacy of the personal understanding results from the European Enlightenment and is alien to a traditional Buddhist approach. I am not sure that he makes his case, which must depend on counter-evidence from cultures which deny this paradigm - if such, indeed, exist.

When you ask:
    I would add "why not notice that all belief systems undergo the same evolution through external authority to personal 'revelation', even Buddhism. TB is trying to hold back the flood, to dam it up in normative texts and textual commentary reinforced by ancestral agreement - dead, male ancestors, by and large.

So, there are two different threads here:
    the first addresses the question as to whether Buddhist commentary in the West has been changed by prevailing Western approaches to literary criticism and biblical exegesis; and if such a change is deleterious.

The second, subtextual in the essay, is whether each one of us is sole judge of what is 'right' for us.

I have a fair amount to say about the interweaving of Western religion/philosophy (including Judaism/Christianity) and Buddhism since very early; Alexander of Macedon and Alexandria must be considered.

I can discuyss the question of personal intuition, too.

I can't, however, do both at once.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Thats interesting Simon. Sogyal Rinpoche says that we are wisdom looking for wisdom. My lama says that if the nature of our mind were not open clear and sensitive we could not make any progress in the dharma of which the end point is confidence in this very true mind of OCS.
  • TB makes many dubious translations on the supramundane level, such as the bizzare "five clinging aggregates". In reality, the mind clings to the aggregrates. The aggregates themselves do not cling. Well, only one aggregate does all of the clinging.
    Personally, I don't see anything dubious about translating the compound panca-upadana-khandha as 'five clinging-aggregates'; it's a fairly literal translation. And while I agree that something like 'five aggregates subject to clinging' would be a lot clearer, I think you're misrepresenting Thanissaro's translation considering that he never implies the aggregates themselves cling, only that they're 'clingable' (e.g., SN 22.48).

// why not leave it panca-upadana-khandha?
    Sure. However, TB seems to contradict himself with his "poetic" approach to the Cannon and his bizzaro translations, such as "the five clinging aggregates". If one believes the five aggregates "cling", this is not the simple path of the Buddha, who advised regarding the five aggregates as "I" or "mine" is clinging.
    Again, I think you're misrepresenting Thanissaro's views here. I'm pretty familiar with both his translations and his original works, and as far as I can recall, he never presents the aggregates as things that cling, but he always refers to them as clingable phenomena on top of which we construct our sense of self in a process of 'I-making' and 'my-making' (e.g., MN 109).

// Thanissaro is a Theravadi'n, basically "catholic buddhism". keep that in mind, at all times... different schools. do you write, speak, hear and read samskrita?
    To end, imo, this essay is rather intellectual. It is as though there is a competition between TB and Ajahn Sujato about who can write the longest most useless intellectual essay. Sorry to sound so critical. But in the end, I can only give my opinion that the distortions are in TB's often bizzare translations. Rather than being advice to others, TB's essay, to me, sounds like a personal confession.
    Ad hominem aside, it is a fairly intellectual essay; one that deals with how certain themes from European Romanticism and the American Transcendentalist movement have influenced the way we often approach Buddhism in the West (especially in academia, since much of this probably stems from what he learned while attending Oberlin College), and how it's important to examine some of the assumptions that we bring as we come to the Dhamma. Of course, the subject matter won't interest everyone, and probably doesn't apply to as many people as the author may think, but I don't think that in and of itself makes it useless.
    // Dharma, not buddh'ism.
  • One thing he says which is, I think, at the very heart of all these debates, is about authority. Despite rejecting the Biblical appeal to authority, it is precisely an authority ascribed to the Pali Canon which provides him with is conclusions. The authority card is forced by sleight of hand, just as in any other 'fundamentalist' argument.
    forse'nagami is a way to translate the Pali Tripitaka to italian, spanish and english.
  • Librari of Alexandria, death by fire?

i suggest we all use Dharma instead of buddh'ism from now on... i took refugee in samskrita.
  • Librari of Alexandria, death by fire?

i suggest we all use Dharma instead of buddh'ism from now on... i took refugee in samskrita.
    And this may, indeed, be a third can of worms!

TB said: To read the Canon as poetry may yield new meanings unintended by the compilers, but that simply advances a process at work throughout Buddhist history. Some thinkers have explained this process as a form of vitalism, with Buddhism or the Dharma identified as the vital force.

DD: Disagree. The Buddha spoke about 'slandering the Tathagata'. We must be very careful here.
    After reading the essay and going back over these replies, I notice that you are in a sense doing to Thanissaro what you seem to be accusing him of doing to the Buddha.

This passage isn't representative of what he thinks about the Canon, but of how certain teachers within the American Buddhism tradition approach the Pali Canon due to influences from the Romantics and the Transcendentalist movement. This is just one of, in his words, "at least eight specific ways in which Romantic/Transcendentalist principles inform statements that Western Buddhists have made about how to read the Pali Canon."

In other words, he's saying the opposite of what you think he his; and in your disagreement, you're actually agreeing with Thainssaro since he himself is critical of this idea. He's arguing for a pragmatic approach to the Canon, not a poetic or prophetic one. For example, immediately following this, he writes:
    These eight principles for interpreting the Pali Canon are often presented as meta-cultural truths but, as we have seen, they developed in the specific context of the Western engagement with the Bible. In other words, they're historically conditioned. When we compare them to the Canon itself, we find that they directly contradict the Dhamma. At the same time, when teachers try to justify these principles on the basis of the Canon, we find that they're invariably misreading the text.
    edited January 2011
    why not leave it panca-upadana-khandha?
    Because then people unfamiliar with Pali will complain about all the untranslated terms, and probably not bother to read the Suttas at all. You wouldn't believe how many people have complained about my relatively small use of use of Pali on this site over the years.
    Thanissaro is a Theravadi'n, basically "catholic buddhism". keep that in mind, at all times... different schools. do you write, speak, hear and read samskrita?
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but I know a bit of Pali and Sanskrit if that's what you're asking.
    Dharma, not buddh'ism.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm fine with using the term Buddhism when I feel it's appropriate given the context. As Chandrakirti allegedly said in one of his works, "Words are not policemen on the prowl. We are not subject to their independent authority. They take their meaning from the intention of the person speaking."
    I agree entirely, Jason. The question is put: where does authority lie? Does it lie in our 'intuition' (whatever that might be) or in external teachings? Because it is clear that both are tools to understanding, how do they stand in relation to each other?
    I think one of the points he's trying to make is that, in regard to the Pali Canon, real authority lies in putting the teachings to the test and seeing what results they bring. This is primarily an empirical and pragmatic approach to the teachings; although I agree that he must ultimately fall back to the Canon for authority when making this case.

As for the rest, I see intuition and external teachings as complimentary tool to understanding, but I think that in regard to spiritual practices, intuition and teachings that are in line with observable results are more authoritative than either alone.
    Although TB and others see this reliance on personal judgment ('intuition': being taught from within) as being a result of the Enlightenment project, its roots are much earlier. The Protestant revolution is largely based on the premise that each believer is endowed with the 'grace' to read and understand Scripture. Although the Reformers, like Calvin and Knox, believed that this would lead to a consensus of the justified, the result was (as the Counter-Reformation understood) a fracturing of beliefs.
    Actually, he acknowledges that, albeit briefly, when he says:
    With the Protestant Reformation, Luther asserted this principle in his doctrine of the priesthood of all believers. However, the fact that the Protestants no longer recognized the Church as a legitimate mediator between God and the faithful meant that, for them, each person was now his or her own interpreter of the text. As a result, the Protestants quickly multiplied into many conflicting sects. But still, there remained the consensus that to make the most sense out of the Bible, and to get the best use of it, one had to read it metaphorically; and, when properly conducted, the act of reading the Bible and finding signs of God in nature was doubly inspired.
    Precisely the same process appears to have operated within the Buddhisms. It is the inevitable result of freedom of thought: people just won't think the same things, damn them!
    :D
  • Regarding the pali its like when I was on a brewing forum as a chemist. I just said warm temperatures produce more fruity esters. I didn't explain what an ester was and what an enzyme was and how higher activation energy produces more diverse reactions.

If you say the pali to an average person on this site its like saying.

I am a gamugoiag from my realization of apijoigf aifjdoijfdf paiodjfpodsijf from my teacher thangpa grudpa who teaches pafidofj apofijdfp padfjip.
    edited January 2011
    The biggest puzzle and problem with his whole argument is that the particular examples he gives, such as the Canon not teaching empty mind or clear mind, have nothing at all to do with the West. The Mahayana versus Theravadan split certainly has nothing to do with Western Biblical exegesis, and neither does the Chan schools of China and resulting Japanese Zen coming down solidly on the side of intuitive instead of external authority.

I think this is because he's focusing on what he calls "Western Theravada" and predominately American Buddhist teachers who utilize the teachings in the Pali Canon while at the same time overlapping concepts found in Mahayana (as well as Romanticism and Transcendentalism) onto them; and this, he feels, is primarily due to the influence Romanticism and the Transcendentalist movement have had on the way we approach religious texts, which in turn was influence by the Reformation, etc.

In other words, we, in Western Theravada, often adopt these concepts because we're more or less predisposed to accept them due to ideas and attitudes "toward the Bible that date back to the German Romantics and the American Transcendentalists" we've accepted as a culture, whether consciously or unconsciously, "through their influence on humanistic psychology, liberal spirituality, and the study of comparative religion."
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited January 2011
    http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writings/CrossIndexed/Uncollected/MiscEssays/TheBuddhaViaTheBible.pdf

By Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

I find the essay in of limited value as the author does not address the theological issues which have beed argued within the last 100 odd years.

To maintain that Western thought is still held captive to the 'Romantics' is highly debatable and takes no heed of more recent theological activity. We now live in a post-modern world and any meta-narrative, including one stemming from the Enlightenment, is simple 'old hat' - interesting perhaps but the debate has moved on.

But there are other concerns which need addressing. For instance;

"Therefore, the ideal reading of the Bible, as with the ideal reading of any text, required sensitive appreciation of its home culture so as to intuit deeper feelings from which a particular expression derived" (page 10)

fails to recognize, unlike Buddhist texts, that we actually do not have any original biblical texts. As a result, there can be 'no ideal reading' of the texts.

Second, to suggest that there is some 'ideal reading of the text' fails to appreciate the role of the biblical author. Similar to Buddhist teachers who orientate their teachings to their particular students, the authors of the biblical texts were addressing particular issues at particular points of time within a specific social context. In many cases, we simple do not what the situations were that the author was addressing. We can take a guess - but that is all. As a result, there is no universal 'ideal' reading of the texts.

When Thanissaro writes;

"Therefore, the ideal reading of the Bible, as with the ideal reading of any text, required sensitive appreciation of its home culture so as to intuit deeper feelings from which a particular expression derived" (page 13)

he makes a good point but I am left wonder if he considers his own role in the process.

But it is here;

"The Bible, in his eyes, was purely a poetic and prophetic document. The Romantics, to the extent that they still found inspiration in the Bible, agreed.
    These are the immediate sources from which the Transcendentalists derived their thoughts on the Bible, and on religion in general" (page 14)

where I see the author failing to appreciate the problem he has constructed.

The biblical texts are neither poetry nor prophetic. Certainly there are parts which are to be treated asa poetic and prophetic but the main part of the texts are narrative - they are telling us something about some particular issue.

Yet the whole of Thanissaro's argument is one that is based on poetics and romantics. So it is understandable where he further writes;

"Even then, though, one should read them not for specific information about history, but for a more poetic sense of inspiration. The goal is not to figure out what the texts mean, but to use them as kindling for one‟s own creative impulse" ( page 16)

that he completely dismisses the biblical author as if he has nothing to do with the process.

I am left wondering if Westerners treat their respective Buddhist teachers in such a cavalier fashion. Is Thanissaro advocating that we 'kindle one's one creative impulse' when we read the Buddhist texts? If such is the case, and I am not necessarily opposed to that proposition, then it seems that he is, ironically, imposing his own interpretation on how those Buddhist texts should be received. Which seems to me to be a very American way of thinking.
  • No idea
  • I find this format not only confusing but the print size is just too small for my failing eyesight.

Any mistakes I will gladly accept.
  • edited January 2011
    Do these ideas do justice to the Pali Canon? Are we getting the most out of the Canon if we read it this way? We rarely ask these questions because our reading habits are invisible to us.
    Pali Canon is beings and no beings' Buddhahood nature and to be experience in this approach of realization.
  • whiterabbitwhiterabbit Explorer
    edited January 2011
    Well, I have no desire to debate the merits of this essay, but I do want to thank you for posting it. I personally found it informative and in large part very true from my perspective.
  • I would respectfully suggest that this essay does nothing to advance my practice. It may be intellectually curious, but that is all. A lot of Westerners would be left cold by a very Eastern-based Buddhism that attempts to communicate with them in a culturally alien way. Better that people practice "Westernised" Buddhism (if there is such a thing) than no Buddhism at all.
    A lot of Westerners would be left cold by a very Eastern-based Buddhism that attempts to communicate with them in a culturally alien way.
    I don't think that's what he's suggesting, though. He's suggesting that we be more reflexive in our approach to the Dhamma in order to not mistake the finger for the moon, sort to speak. I think he makes this a bit more clear in an article in Tricycle with this paragragh:
    Just as the Chinese had Taoism as their dharma gate—the homegrown tradition providing concepts that helped them understand the dharma—we in the West have Romanticism as ours. The Chinese experience with dharma gates, though, contains an important lesson that is often overlooked. After three centuries of interest in Buddhist teachings, they began to realize that Buddhism and Taoism were asking different questions. As they rooted out these differences, they started using Buddhist ideas to question their Taoist presuppositions. This was how Buddhism, instead of turning into a drop in the Taoist sea, was able to inject something genuinely new into Chinese culture. The question here in the West is whether we will learn from the Chinese example and start using Buddhist ideas to question our own dharma gate, to see exactly how far the similarities between the gate and the actual dharma go. If we don’t, we run the danger of mistaking the gate for the dharma itself, and of never going through it to the other side.