Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are some good teas?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2011 in General Banter
What are some good teas?

Comments

• If you're into floral teas, then rosehip, hibiscus, chrysanthemum, and jasmine teas are really nice.

My favorite mix of floral/herbal tea is chrysanthemum/chinese wolfberries/dried melon/rock sugar combo. You can mix and match if you want, and try it out, really, so long as they are non-poisonous herbs, you can try to mix and match. The mix above is "cooling" in nature, and best if you drink it ice-cold during the summer.

If you're into Chinese teas, I think it depends on what kinds of teas you like. There are so many kinds of Chinese teas that I get confused all the time!

If you're into the regular teas, then I think it depends on your taste. I personally like Dilmah's English Breakfast and Earl Grey, or Lipton Yellow Label.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you!
    I am trying to figure some white/green teas.
    I need some websites/links for affordable prices?
    Thanks for the recommendations!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    hoji-cha is my favorite. i fell in love with it when i was in japan. it's a roasted green tea. the roasting gives it a rather robust flavor, perhaps similar to that of coffee.

it is not as popular as a lot of other teas, but i can usually find it at vitamin/herbal shops.

• Organic nettle tea is really nice as is organic white tea.

:)
  • Yerba Matte and Damiana. Togther the best tea in the world*100000 (this is an objective truth). I have been drinking it for ages. We call it "Wellbing Tea."
  • ManiMani Veteran
    Good quality white tea will cost a little more than you are probably used to paying for green tea. But it is so good!

Another kind of tea that I really like is called "Tie Kuan Yin", which is an "oolong" tea. But,

wǒ zuì xǐ huān de chá shì lōng xīn bái chá!

This means "my favorite tea is dragon heart white tea!"

http://www.teaopia.ca/products2.cfm/ID/22/c/Flavoured-White-Tea

• in australia is supper is tea, so i guess a good tea would be any good food, my favourite is thai and indian!!
  • I'm British so obviously I like my tea made out of actual TEA, and strong enough so the spoon starts to dissolve, with a generous splash of milk. No sugar though, thanks.
  • edited January 2011
    I agree Yerba Matte and Damiana are good but, neither is actually tea (different species). Myself I prefer Oolong (semi fermented) or Black (fully fermented) as it seems to have the most flavor. Green tea (unfermented) is said to have more antioxidants and some vitamins but, I find it doesn't have much flavor.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Oolong tea is my favorite, followed by rooibos, white, green, and herbal. I don't like black tea too much. I really like Tibetan teas such as Sorig.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2011
    My favorite tea is green jasmine tea -- it's green tea that has been infused with jasmine flowers. It has a nice clean taste, somewhat reminiscent of bubble gum. A good place to buy tea online is Adagio Teas.

I occasionally drink Earl Grey (a black tea infused with bergamot), but I prefer the green tea without any milk or sugar.
  • I've found that I like most any tea I've ever tried save a couple as follows:

1. a chinese green tea I bought which I can only describe as so piquant that it was like brewing up an old pair of dirty socks. :( I presume that the tea leaves had been in storage before I acquired them, and the seal on the package was broken allowing the extreme fermentation, but I never saw a break in the package. It's pity that tea wasn't drinkable. I love green tea and I was looking forward to a fine cup of chinese green tea that day. Oh well.

2. a package of jasmine tea that I just got not too long ago. It's just way too flowery for my taste buds.

Otherwise, I'll drink just about any tea you put in front of me -- even the "dishwater" Earl Grey as my mother called it that I used to drink. Oh well, she drinks neither tea nor coffee so I don't expect her to have a wine enthusiasts nose for tea. :D

Nowadays, I'm kind of torn between between Hojicha and a lovely Oolong tea I found at the local grocer. Oh the suffering! :lol:
  • edited January 2011
    I'm British so obviously I like my tea made out of actual TEA, and strong enough so the spoon starts to dissolve, with a generous splash of milk. No sugar though, thanks.
    Yes! nothing like a nice strong, old fashioned cuppa tea, Ada B !

• Bhang is my favourite
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I like to start my day with a cup of English Breakfast - and enjoy Earl Grey for afternoon tea - though most of the time coffee is my preferred hot beverage, I do like to make Chai Latte -
    10 teaspoons (25grams)Formosan Tea
    Cardamon Seeds (5 grams)
    3 Cinnamon Sticks
    Ginger Powder (1 teaspoon)
    1 Clove
    Using a mortar and pestle ( or an electric grinder ) , grind up the spices.
    Add tea to spice mixture.
    Fill the tea pot with boiling water and add spice mixture. We use 3/4 cup boiling water and 4 teaspoons of tea/spice mixture per serve.
    Leave to stand 3-4 minutes.
    Heat milk of your choice ( my daughter and I prefer the Australian brand Vitasoy soy milk ) Add heated milk and sweeten to taste if you like ... yum

• edited January 2011
    Funny how we all have different tastes isn't it? At the first teaching given by Ajahn Sumedho that I attended, they served Chai during the break. I could only take 2 sips because I disliked the flavour so much.

I find Lapsang Suchong tea equally unpalatable, lol!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I find Lapsang Suchong tea equally unpalatable, lol!
    Oh man, I tried that tea for the first and last time not too long ago.
  • Go to Wendell tea company and order oolong.
    There are different grades. If you pay around $50 USD a pound you will get something good. Also, Ten Ren Tea Co is on line .
    I like many teas, black, white and green. I even like some herbals such as Sleepytime and mint.
  • @LeonBasin, I dunno about different kinds of tea, but take your regular tea (i.e. Lipton or generic) and add clover honey to it. Or hazelnut creamer (powdered or liquid). Good stuff. :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I'm British so obviously I like my tea made out of actual TEA, and strong enough so the spoon starts to dissolve, with a generous splash of milk. No sugar though, thanks.
    Ding. (Not British, but perhaps an honorary one). Twinings & Tetley are in abundance in my house.

You couldn't pay me to drink flavored tea (bah!), Rooibos (imposter!) or white tea.
    edited January 2011
    @Cloud Lipton is a producer of swill, not tea. :p
  • I dunno what you drink Lincoln, but Lipton was always the best of the regular/normal teas in my household growing up. It was the kind of tea that my mom would make iced tea from.
    they served Chai during the break. I could only take 2 sips because I disliked the flavour so much.
    I've found "chai" varies wildly. Don't assume you hate it all because of 1 bad cup.

edited January 2011
    I dunno what you drink Lincoln
    Twinings (Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast, English Afternoon, Darjeeling, Prince of Wales, Orange Pekoe Ceylon, and others) and Tetley British Blend. I'll drink breakfast (unflavored, black) varieties of Tazo or Stash in a pinch. Lipton is the reason I didn't think I liked tea growing up. Related: I dislike iced tea.
  • Well that's why then. I drink tea every once in a while, it's not something I'm a connoisseur of. :) Gimme some Lipton or generic from Wal-Mart, a couple tablespoons of sugar and clover honey or hazelnut creamer if possible and it's a treat for me.
  • I love earl grey and rooibos.
  • @MellowViper At first glance I read earl grey and robots :D I like rooibos too... and robots for that matter :nyah:

Here's some nice tea brands to try: Yogi, Stash, Zhena's, Republic of Tea, Sorig, Guayaki (mate), Juniper Ridge.