Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A visit to the Cambodian Buddhist Temple

Today was an exciting day, i got up early and around ten drove the the local Therevada Cambodian Temple in Loma Linda, California USA. We have almost the largest concentration of refugee immigrants from Cambodia and Vietnam in the USA and at the temple things go on much the same way they do in Asia, white people like me a real rareity and there has been very little "westernization" of the Buddhas message. The monk who speaks good english was away so I talked for 1 1/2 hrs to an old friend who was one of the elders at the temple, attending almost every day and very knowledgeable on the Buddha as he had been a monk for ten years back in Cambodia, before starting a family.

The first thing I did was go over some facts about Buddhism, ideas I had been almost ridiculed for on this forum such as Buddha's being an advocate of vegetarianism, but Ill leave that for the bottom of this post. I questioned him on the most basic teaching of Buddhism, how important were the precepts etc. To the best of my recollection this is what he said in less broken english;mine;

"the most important, central teaching of the Buddha is Love, Love for those around us, and Love for everyone, then compassion for everyone' he went over and over this teaching, it was obvious he considers it much more important than following the rules like the precepts, I asked him about how important it was to follow the precepts, he thought very important,he really scoffed when I brought of the idea People calling themselves buddhist who werent bothering to keep the precepts, he thought that was bad. In his opinion he said"the most important precept is number 5, no drugs and alcohol, drunks are more likely to kill and break the other precepts, understanding the religion requires a clear mind and you cant get a clear mind when you are using drugs and alcohol" remember I was asking him which precepts were the most important to the beginner or buddhist young person.

He agreed wholeheartedly that buddhism promoted a simple life, not addicted to a lot of things , and that it was fairly conservative religion, not a lot of partying etc, although in southeast asian tradition they often have fairly festive "parties" or religious events at the temple, with lots of people, live bands, dancing and free food. I talked to him about being single and he mentioned"its better to be a monk all your life, having a wife and family makes it harder to be a good person because it splits your time. its good that your single, thats like being a monk, its easier to grow in the religion that way"

We talked at length about reincarnation and the soul. These therevada people definetly believe in past lives, future lives and reincarnation and the soul, but he told me the soul dies with the body, its the Spirit that was before and reincarnates and always will be. I asked him about Bodhissatva, people who reincarnate back on earth repeatedly to help mankind, he definetly agreed with this teaching but had not heard the term Bodhisattva or I was pronouncing it wrong or something. I asked him about buddha nature, is everyone born with a small buddha nature that can grow and grow even into being a full buddha, and that anyone can do that, he wholeheartadly agreed, though once again the term buddha nature was of course something different in his language.

On vegetarianism he said basically what I have recounted before"the Buddha himself was a vegetarian, but he didnt say everyone has to be one, but he definetly indicated it was better to be vegetarian, in my country we have meditation schools that are very strict and they are all vegetarian, also in vietnam and China the buddhist temples are almost all vegetarian. its very bad to kill animals, but we are allowed to buy meat killed by some one else and eat it, but this is not ideal,I would never kill any animal even a chicken or a fish, the ideal of the buddha is be vegetarian, animals are just as good as people, anything that breathes deserves to be treated well especially animals, the buddha came not just for people but the animals as well, the buddha came for every living creature(sentient being) to benefit them all" Please believe me this is my best recollection of a conversation this morning with a venerateed temple elder, not my own thought or words, as ive already put my thoughts in writing Ill leave it at that.

Lastly the issue of Lying, is it OK to lie to prevent a greater crime, he just didnt know one way or the other but agreed lying to prevent killing seemed right, but he didnt know what the scripture said, he had been a monk many years ago starting in his teens and he is approaching 70 now.Thats all for now, thank you for your time. sincerely John

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    We talked at length about reincarnation and the soul. These therevada people definetly believe in past lives, future lives and reincarnation and the soul, but he told me the soul dies with the body, its the Spirit that was before and reincarnates and always will be.
    Interesting. I wonder what he'd make of suttas like MN 63 and MN 72? For example, from MN 63:
    So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.
  • edited January 2011
    i think what the buddha was saying here is that the relationship between the soul and the body is a mystery and cant really be pinned down with one true statement, just like pondering the cosmos,and that its not really important for practise, obviously almost everyone in india at that time believed in some kind of soul or spirit, i dont believe the buddha was denying that, to me its just interesting that the therevada use the term spirit, not soul, at least at this temple which is fairly representative of the conservative brand of southern buddhism which is almost identical in sri lanka, all of southest asia except for vietnam and parts of india and bangaldesh.
    edited January 2011
    i think what the buddha was saying here is that the relationship between the soul and the body is a mystery and cant really be pinned down with one true statement, just like pondering the cosmos,and that its not really important for practise, obviously almost everyone in india at that time believed in some kind of soul or spirit, i dont believe the buddha was denying that, to me its just interesting that the therevada use the term spirit, not soul, at least at this temple which is fairly representative of the conservative brand of southern buddhism which is almost identical in sri lanka, all of southest asia except for vietnam and parts of india and bangaldesh.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "fairly representative" since the Sinhalese commentaries, which arguably form the basis of Theravadin orthodoxy in Sri Lanka and Burma, and to a lesser extent in Thailand, are adamantly in the no self/soul camp.
  • edited January 2011
    so the buddha, when he talked extensively about his past lives in the pali scriptures was lying???? i dont think so, what i think we have here is some mistranslation of what is meant by soul, as i said this therevada temple member denies the reincarnation of the soul, but affirms the reincarnation of the spirit(which encompasses mind in his words), something which goes on and always was, from lifetime to lifetime. sincerely john
    edited January 2011
    so the buddha, when he talked extensively about his past lives in the pali scriptures was lying???? i dont think so, what i think we have here is some mistranslation of what is meant by soul, as i said this therevada temple member denies the reincarnation of the soul, but affirms the reincarnation of the spirit(which encompasses mind in his words), something which goes on and always was, from lifetime to lifetime. sincerely john
    No, I'm not implying that the Buddha was lying, assuming that when he's talking about his "past dwellings" (pubbenivasa) he's referring to previous lifetimes. I'm simply countering your assertion that the use the term spirit is "fairly representative of the conservative brand of southern buddhism." Theravada strictly denies the existence of a soul or spirit that travels from life to life. The Abhidhamma Pitaka and the Sinhalese commentaries in particular are very explicit in denying this.

Instead of positing some type of spirit that's eternal and travels from life to life, rebirth is describe in terms of moments of consciousness (vinnana) — which the commentaries consider synonymous with mind (mano) and intellect (citta) based on SN 12.61 — arising and ceasing in rapid succession, with the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness. It's simply the continuation of a process — nothing 'remains,' nothing 'transmigrates,' etc. — there are merely phenomena that condition other phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.

As for this supposed spirit, what exactly is it? How is it different from what we would conventionally call a soul? And more importantly, where did the Buddha teach about this transmigrating spirit "which goes on and always was"? Certainly not MN 38:
    Then the Blessed One addressed a certain bhikkhu thus: “Come, bhikkhu, tell the bhikkhu Sāti, son of a fisherman, in my name that the Teacher calls him.” - “Yes, venerable sir,” he replied, and he went to the bhikkhu Sāti and told him: “The Teacher calls you, friend Sāti.”

“Yes, friend,” he replied, and he went to the Blessed One, and after paying homage to him, sat down at one side. The Blessed One then asked him: “Sāti, is it true that the following pernicious view has arisen in you: ‘As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another'?”

“Exactly so, venerable sir. As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is the same consciousness that runs and wanders through the round of rebirths, not another.”

“What is that consciousness, Sāti?”

“Venerable sir, it is that which speaks and feels and experiences here and there the result of good and bad actions.”

“Misguided man, to whom have you ever known me to teach the Dhamma in that way? Misguided man, have I not stated in many ways consciousness to be dependently arisen, since without a condition there is no origination of consciousness? But you, misguided man, have misrepresented us by your wrong grasp and injured yourself and stored up much demerit; for this will lead to your harm and suffering for a long time.”
  • Your friend sounds like a great guy. You're lucky to know him.

Probably a very patient man also, to sit and answer all your questions. What was the actual service like in a Cambodian temple? Did the congregation sit and listen to the monk chant the sutras?
  • edited January 2011
    Cinorjer, It was just a special 4 times a month lunch at the temple were the people bring food and the monk and the people chant the prayers, then the monks eat, after which the people eat the leftovers, the prayers are all in Pali, so I understand only a small fraction of them. My friend took great joy in recounting his life and love for buddhism, we were actually playing hookey on the service while his wife participated, as he is crippled and cannot sit long in the temple.

Jonas, you cant base a whole belief on on verse the way christians use proof texts to disprove homosexuality or some thing like that, you have to take the whole pali scriptures into account, these monks do that, and obviously they get the idea for some form of rebirth or reincarnation, the statement "Therevada strictly denies the existence of the soul...." is not true if the people are learning something entirely different, where did you read that? (usually its Mahayana people making these kind of disparaging comments about Therevada;"they dont even believe in the soul" etc)

What i am suggesting is what the monks at the temple say may be more important than your personal interpretation of some book or text of scripture. sincerely John
    edited January 2011
    Jonas, you cant base a whole belief on on verse the way christians use proof texts to disprove homosexuality or some thing like that, you have to take the whole pali scriptures into account, these monks do that, and obviously they get the idea for some form of rebirth or reincarnation, the statement "Therevada strictly denies the existence of the soul...." is not true if the people are learning something entirely different, where did you read that?

What i am suggesting is what the monks at the temple say may be more important than your personal interpretation of some book or text of scripture. sincerely John
    Well, in my defense, I think I have a fairly broad knowledge of the Pali Canon, including the post canonical literature such as the Sinhalese commentaries, which, as I mentioned, has arguably formed the basis of Theravadin orthodoxy in Sri Lanka and Burma, and to a lesser extent in Thailand (and this would include Cambodia and Laos, as well), since the at least the 5th century. In fact, I seem to be the only one in this discussion who's actually quoting from the Suttas so far.

Of course, Theravada isn't a monolithic entity, and you're going to find divergent views and interpretations of the Dhamma; but on the whole, it's fairly consistent in its denial of self. Take a look at the Kathavatthu or Points of Controversy, for example. Personally, I think the 'orthodox' view concerning the Buddha's teachings on not-self (anatta) go a bit too far, making ontological statements about something the Buddha himself remained silent on (SN 44.10); but you won't even find the likes of Buddhaghosa, an Indian brahmin convert who translated the Sinhalese commentaries back into Pali, declaring the existence of an eternal soul or spirit.

I have no doubt that you'll find monks here and there who happen to hold a position counter to this, asserting a type of soul, spirit or self (or even of a 'person' in the case of the Puggalavadins) that travels from life to life, and if you happen to agree with them, that's fine by me. What I am arguing against is your assertion that the use the term spirit, especially a transmigrating spirit "which goes on and always was," is "fairly representative of the conservative brand of southern buddhism." Anyone familiar with the Mahavihara commentarial tradition of Theravada will know that this is patently false.

In other words, those who have held such views have historically been the minority in Theravada, not the majority. The majority are firmly in the "no self" category and have been since at least the 5th century. (I can give you an ample amount of references for this if you'd like, scholarly as well as traditional.) Whether or not you agree with their position is besides the point. As for the statement that there are monks who read the Suttas and "get the idea for some form of rebirth or reincarnation," I never denied that. In fact, I even gave you the standard Theravadin explanation of that process:
    Instead of positing some type of spirit that's eternal and travels from life to life, rebirth is describe in terms of moments of consciousness (vinnana) — which the commentaries consider synonymous with mind (mano) and intellect (citta) based on SN 12.61 — arising and ceasing in rapid succession, with the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness. It's simply the continuation of a process — nothing 'remains,' nothing 'transmigrates,' etc. — there are merely phenomena that condition other phenomena in the interdependent process we call life. [For more on the Abhidhammic doctrine of momentariness (especially momentary concurrences of consciousness) and rebirth, I suggesting checking out the Abhidhammattha Sangaha.]
  • edited January 2011
    Here's a quote from 'The Sound of Silence' by Ajahn Sumedho who is a highly respected abbot and teacher with the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition.

“Rebirth,” like “reincarnation,” is a term that’s used generally referring to having gone through a series of different lives, and then there are various views about whether once you get reincarnated into human form where you can go, become a frog again or something like that. I was teaching a retreat in Australia at the Theosophical Society, where people’s views were split. Some held that once you made it to the human level you can’t slide back into a lesser animal one, whereas others insisted that you could. But the truth of the matter is, nobody really knows.

The historical Buddha refered to previous lives in the scriptures and things like this, but for me these things are speculative. Maybe you can remember previous lives, but I have no such memory. So all I know is from the here and now. We’re talking about direct knowing rather than Buddhist theory or Buddhist doctrine.

When Ajahn Chah taught about rebirth, he did so in the context of paticcasumappada, or dependent origination. He was talking about the kind of rebirth you can actually witness in daily life; birth is the beginning, death is the ending. How many rebirths have you gone through today, mentally ? What is born dies; what arises, ceases. Rebirth in this sense is actually provable.

In the paticcasamuppada, through desire (tanha) comes attachment (upadana), and then attachment leads to becoming (bhava), becoming leads to rebirth, and rebirth leads to suffering. Jati (birth) is the result of grasping desire. I quite like the idea of reincarnation and rebirth, on a theoretical level. I’ve no bias against it, but it is speculative and it’s conceptual.”

• edited January 2011
    When the buddha said "some say the soul and the body are the same, some say the soul and body are not the same, this is undeclared", he was refering to discussions like this. Taking a position of no soul is just as shaky and unprovable as affirming a soul, i think perhaps the message of love is more important than all this, i was just pointing out you cant read in a book that therevadans have no soul concept, then go to the therevada temple and confirm this, quite the opposite in this case, a lot of Therevadan followers ive met believe in some kind of God too and add elements of christianity, and thats certainly not in the scriptures. sincerely John
    edited January 2011
    When the buddha said "some say the soul and the body are the same, some say the soul and body are not the same, this is undeclared", he was refering to discussions like this. Taking a position of no soul is just as shaky and unprovable as affirming a soul, i think perhaps the message of love is more important than all this, i was just pointing out you cant read in a book that therevadans have no soul concept, then go to the therevada temple and confirm this, quite the opposite in this case, a lot of Therevadan followers ive met believe in some kind of God too and add elements of christianity, and thats certainly not in the scriptures. sincerely John
    Perhaps not in your experience, I'll concede that. But just because one temple has a monk who speaks about a transmigrating spirit doesn't mean all of them do, or that even the majority of them does. Laying aside the vast majority of Theravadin literature, and just speaking from personal experience for a moment, I've never met a monk who taught in this way. The vast majority have taught anatta in the same way as Ajahn Khemasanto from Wat Dhammasala, and this accords with texts like the Visuddhimagga:
    Mere suffering exists, no sufferer is found.
    The deeds are, but no doer of the deeds is there,
    Nirvana is, but not the man that enters it.
    The path is, but no traveller on it is seen.
    The point is, if you want to say that some Theravadin monks teach about a transmigrating spirit, and that you prefer these teachings over those found in the commentarial tradition of Theravada, I have no qualms with that. You have every right to believe in such a spirit, or God or whatever else you want. But if you continue to assert that the use of the term spirit, especially in the sense of a transmigrating spirit "which goes on and always was," is "fairly representative of the conservative brand of southern buddhism," I'll continue to argue against this because it's simply not true.
  • edited January 2011
    i wasnt even speaking for myself, i was quoting the former monk at the temple, i myself, i believe in reincarnation, have some limited memories from past lives, and have no idea how the soul or the spirit exists or passes on, i do believe something passes on, and i dont think the teachers you are quoting are even denying this,its really a question of whether we call that thing soul or spirit or something else, translated words, taken out of context can have little meaning, sincerely john

ps in other words they are denying the word soul or spirit in what that word means to them, not necessarily even similar to what that word means to you, or to me.
    edited January 2011
    i wasnt even speaking for myself, i was quoting the former monk at the temple, i myself, i believe in reincarnation, have limited memories from past lives, and have no idea how the soul or the spirit exists or passes on, i do believe something passes on, and i dont think the teachers you are quoting are even denying this,its really a question of whether we call that thing soul or spirit or something else, translated words, taken out of context can have little meaning, sincerely john
    Right, but the question I'm asking is, can you point to anywhere in the Pali Canon where the Buddha talks about a transmigrating spirit "which goes on and always was"? Does this view have a basis in the Suttas themselves? If so, where? Certainly not MN 38, MN 63, MN 72, SN 12.61, SN 22.59, SN 24.3, etc.

You say that this spirit, which you were told "encompasses mind," is "something which goes on and always was," but the Buddha clearly states that:
    It would be better for the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person to hold to the body composed of the four great elements, rather than the mind, as the self. Why is that? Because this body composed of the four great elements is seen standing for a year, two years, three, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, a hundred years or more. But what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' [mano, citta and vinnana respectively] by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another. Just as a monkey, swinging through a forest wilderness, grabs a branch. Letting go of it, it grabs another branch. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. Letting go of that, it grabs another one. In the same way, what's called 'mind,' 'intellect,' or 'consciousness' by day and by night arises as one thing and ceases as another.
  • i dont know, im not a buddhist scholar, just a practioner, and a lazy one at that, perhaps the buddha is denying ghosts, or spirits with consciousness and form, who knows its not that important in the big picture. in my opinion
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If it's not important, maybe it's best to not even bring it up....?
    It's bound to get responses, isn't it....? ;)
  • what and miss out on all this fun!!
    Heh, thanks for being such a good sport, John.
  • hey im really new to a lot of this stuff, sure i read all about buddha but that was 20 yrs ago, im here to learn and help beginners with less experience than me, maybe i better concentrate on helping myself first.....
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing!
  • Pretas were told about by The Buddha... It is another form of being like humans(another species, to be specific)... The argument is, if you can be born as a human, why not a preta(that's what they are called)? And pretas, it is said, live lives of suffering...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I don't know about this monk believing in reincarnation and the soul/spirit, but I can tell you that a ton of animals and plants have died and been reborn as a human... this body (me), in this very life, ever since conception. :D More lifeforms will inevitably become a part of this body, getting hungry now that I think of it...