Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A neuroscientist discusses latest scientific theories on consciousness

CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Today
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/component/content/article/44-amazing-meeting/1255-video-steven-novella-from-tam-6.html

I'm posting this link to a video that some of you might find interesting. It's a neuroscientist giving a lecture about consciousness, the history of various theories and current scientific thinking. Being a talk given at a Skeptic forum, it is of course slanted to one viewpoint. Still, if you want to talk modern medical understanding of the mind and higher consciousness as compared to the Buddhist skandhas, this tells you what scientists really think.

Some points I agree with (quantum physics is highly misused and the people who throw the term around don't have a clue what it actually means) and several points I think he's way off base. In particular, he keeps talking about "Eastern Mysticism" and lumps all Eastern religions into one when he means Hindu, at best. Also he presents that wacko Deepak Chopra as an example of an Eastern Mystic authority when the man is actually an American TM graduate and runs a business selling fake enlightenment, and he totally misses the point that Buddhism has no problem whatsoever with his scientific description of consciousness. But see what you think. Interesting and informative.

Comments

• ai yai yai... Deepak Chopra. He gets a lot of face time. My friend had some of his c.d.s that could "help bring money in". My sentence of criticism barely left my lips before she snatched the c.d.s back, and gave me the death glare.
  • gotta put food on the table some how.
  • Thanks

You might also like this:

• what does buddhism say about consciousness?

product of mind or outside of mind? did the buddha clarify?

from my experience through meditation, i believe that consciousness is outside the mind. consciousness is the legs but the mind is what is running. so they both need each other to exist

and i would assert that enlightenment is a shift from mind to consciousness.

is there a true distinction between mind and consciousness or is it all mind?

i'm very interested. if anyone knows please answer me!! thank you
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2011
    what does buddhism say about consciousness?

product of mind or outside of mind? did the buddha clarify?

from my experience through meditation, i believe that consciousness is outside the mind. consciousness is the legs but the mind is what is running. so they both need each other to exist

and i would assert that enlightenment is a shift from mind to consciousness.

i'm very interested. if anyone knows please answer me!! thank you
    Where the neuroscientist talks of elements that make up the mind, Buddhists talk about skandhas...which are elements that make up the mind. While these vary slightly, the usual list is:

1.Form (the brain and body and everything physical that goes on)
    2.Sensation (the senses, but also internal senses such as emotional states and internal feelings of well being, etc.)
    3.Perception (pattern recognition and assignation of meaning)
    4.Mental formations (beliefs, thoughts, habits)
    5.Consciousness (our awareness or focus of attention)

Our conscious awareness, or sense of identity and self is, in Buddhist terms, the result of all these skandhas working together. We say the self is illusion not because it isn't there, but that if you take away the skandhas, theres's nothing left. These are the component parts of the self. They all work together in harmony, more or less, what happens with one skandha affects the others, and the sum is greater and unique from the parts.

But I disagree with the neuroscientist who insists the mind is nothing but form. Form is important, but if form was everything, each mind would be alike given the same size healthy brain. Thus even form is empty.

• thanks for clearing that up. that makes much more sense.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    the buddha used at least three words for mind:

1) vinnana: consciousness

2) citta: mind-heart; creative mind; intellect

3) mano: knowing

consciousness is mere sense awareness

what is defiled/ignorant and later gains enlightenment or behaviour modification is the citta

:)

• the same as Buddha, the lecture states consciousness is a "moment to moment" function of the brain that "attends" to information

however, the speaker has described consciousness many times as "subjective experience". this is incorrect. "subjectivity" is created by the "views" (ditthi) of the citta/sankhara khanda

consciousness is just attention or awareness

the speaker also states consciousness "processes information", "talks to itself". this is incorrect. the citta/sankhara khanda processes or talks

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "latest scientific theories on consciousness"

With all respect to the guy, I didn't hear any new theories, mainly it was just making fun of - and not believing people who had insights, because he is convinced current neuroscience will one day find out what consciousness is and how the mind works. But really, he has no answer.

And he won't find it this way, because they are observing the mind from the outside. You can't really see what's inside a house by peeking through the window, it's much better to open the door and enter it and have a look around. In the same way you can't you know the mind without looking for yourself. The measuring devices will probably forever be insufficient to make us understand.

So don't let this guy mislead you from meditating ;)
  • Why would that put anyone off meditation? If you watch the Sue Blackmore video, she actually speaks highly of meditation, while at the same time saying essentially what the neuroscientist was saying.
  • Here's an interesting podcast about consciousness and the latest research on the subject. It is presented by several scientists who're actually involved in various types of research. Most of them are also practicing Buddhists, so they try to bridge the gap between the modern science of the mind and what Buddhism says about it.
    http://www.upaya.org/dharma/zen-brain-2011-consciousness-and-the-fundamental-nature-of-mind-series-all-7-parts/
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Why would that put anyone off meditation? If you watch the Sue Blackmore video, she actually speaks highly of meditation, while at the same time saying essentially what the neuroscientist was saying.
    Don't know, was kidding mainly. But at about 28:00 he's kind of making fun of it. And he's talking about substrate consciousness, something different than what Sue is talking about.

What Sue Blackmore says is really very Buddhist indeed. I hope she gets somewhere with her Zen practice (or maybe already did, based on what she says)
  • Why would that put anyone off meditation? If you watch the Sue Blackmore video, she actually speaks highly of meditation, while at the same time saying essentially what the neuroscientist was saying.
    Don't know, was kidding mainly. But at about 28:00 he's kind of making fun of it. And he's talking about substrate consciousness, something different than what Sue is talking about.

What Sue Blackmore says is really very Buddhist indeed. I hope she gets somewhere with her Zen practice (or maybe already did, based on what she says)
    Well yeah, Cinorjer does point out that there is a certain slant. As for Dr. Blackmore, I am not too sure. A lot of her insights come with the help of LSD and other drugs, and that can only get you so far.
    edited March 2011
    To me, your post said nothing of relevence. The blind faith beliefs you are alluding to cannot be verified through meditation.

The doctor spoke what is correct, namely, when brainfunction is disengaged (eg. induced coma), consciousness is also disengaged.

The Buddha basically taught the same, when he advised there is not arising of consciousness without a sense organ.

Your post shows your mind has not realised much via meditation.

Your words are mere advertising, to me. What are you trying to sell?

• I didn't hear any new theories...
    I heard many things the same as the Buddha taught, which are the fruits of meditation.

edited March 2011
    Why would that put anyone off meditation?
    Exactly.

Worse, the purpose of meditation is unrelated to cultivating cravings & delusions about eternal disembodied consciousness.

The purpose of meditation is realising emptiness in order to be free from suffering.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    To me, your post said nothing of relevence. The blind faith beliefs you are alluding to cannot be verified through meditation.

The doctor spoke what is correct, namely, when brainfunction is disengaged (eg. induced coma), consciousness is also disengaged.

The Buddha basically taught the same, when he advised there is not arising of consciousness without a sense organ.

@DD -
    please don't be argumentative, DD. I'm sure Sabre isn't 'trying to sell' anything.

You have a right to your opinion of what you may believe his mind may or may not have realised - but what his post shows, is your opinion, not fact.
    If you must contribute (and there's no reason why you shouldn't) keep to the discussion, not asserion of what a member is/isn't saying.

• "latest scientific theories on consciousness"

With all respect to the guy, I didn't hear any new theories, mainly it was just making fun of - and not believing people who had insights, because he is convinced current neuroscience will one day find out what consciousness is and how the mind works. But really, he has no answer.

And he won't find it this way, because they are observing the mind from the outside. You can't really see what's inside a house by peeking through the window, it's much better to open the door and enter it and have a look around. In the same way you can't you know the mind without looking for yourself. The measuring devices will probably forever be insufficient to make us understand.

This is a valid criticism of the neurological approach to the mind. It is one that psychologists have made through the years, not just those of us outside the laboratory. We have known for a long time that the self aware mind is a product, somehow, of the brain (duh!) but even though we understand to an atomic level how brain cells work, the "ghost in the machine" remains something that can't be pinpointed. And thus, we continue our fascination with the mystery.

For instance, we know what chemical reactions in the brain cause a feeling of pleasure. Thus recreational drugs are a huge industry. We know what chemicals will short-circuit stress. Thus legal mood altering drugs are a huge industry. Yet, everyone has a unique set of triggers for both pleasure and stress, and nothing can predict what turns you on or off, and why it's something different for someone else.

We know the chemical and behavioral mechanics of addiction to the atomic level. We even know genetics play a part in it. However, we don't know why some people reach inside themselves and drag their minds free of addiction, while others fail. We don't know why some people are motivated to help others while other people completely lack compassion. And none of this can be studied by pointing to a spot in the brain and saying "Here, change this wiring and we get a well adjusted person."

In other words, people perform miracles with their minds, beyond anything explained by the neuroscientists.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011

Dear DD,

I was just making a joke, see the smiley at the end of the sentence. The guy in the video to me clearly wasn't taking meditation seriously, making jokes about how it can not be integrated into science, calling it mysticism etc. All fine with me if that's what he thinkgs, but I was just kind of joking back.

I don't see how I stepped on your toes by doing this, but apparently I did, I'm sorry for that. Now don't get personal over it, I did in no way intend it that way. About my meditation experiences you can not say anything. How can you say my beliefs are blind, hmm? May I advise you not to judge someones experiences by a post on a forum. I may not be a 'new guy' and I can handle critique very well, but next time you might set someone off who is a bit unstable and unsure about his/her meditation. Those people get into Buddhism and find these forums too, you know.

Anyway, what I think is missing in most research on the mind is the direct consciousness of the 6th sense, the mind itself. With pure consciousness only of that sense can scientist start to know what they are talking about. A lot of people have theories on the mind, but really saw what it actually is; that it is not just purely a brain function but something beyond that.

Different people around the globe keep coming up with the same kind of experiences that are just neglected by a lot of today's scientists because they don't think it fits their approach. But if enough people experience it, there is a very strong correlation which can be used. That's why I think studies including meditation would be a very valid scientific approach and luckily those are also arising.

I don't say I agree on everything this guy says, but he kind of explains it a bit clearer:

Sabre
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Sabre, I did mention his post to DD.
    Best leave things as they are, ok? :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    This is a valid criticism of the neurological approach to the mind. It is one that psychologists have made through the years, not just those of us outside the laboratory.
    Indeed and one can take this analogy further.

A theoretical physicist might see all kinds of mass and energy in equations, but has no reason to see why it would make life. The equation for that has never been found. ;)

But a biologist says, hey you physicists are wrong, there is life, I can clearly tell. And it evolves, but why it would do things other than procreation and eating, I don't know.

The psychologists come in and say: Hey biologists, that people do all kinds of other things, like art, debating, investigation etc, is all obvious. But why and how exactly we don't know.

Then there is the step above that, the meditators who can say: Ah you psychologists we know how this works. We know ourselves and we can explain to you how this works.

Now this last step is often still disregarded by the whole chain and that's a shame. I think this also was something of Alan Wallace, but I changed it around a bit.

Sabre :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Sabre, I did mention his post to DD.
    Best leave things as they are, ok? :)
    I read it indeed, but I thought I would point out a bit more clearly that one should never judge the meditation experiences of someone else over the internet (at least not in a negative way). Especially because you don't know who you are facing or in what situation that person is in at the particular moment.

I just thought that was important to point out. Whatever DD has to say about that, I'll leave it be indeed, that's fine with me. Sounds like a solid plan. :)

The discussion about the actual subject we were discussing can continue, however.
    Just a heads-up:
    If a Moderator makes comment, and deals with a situation, there is absolutely no need for anyone to come back with additional comment, however involved or otherwise, they are.
    Your persistence is probably not constructive, and your "pointing out more clearly" superfluous and unnecessary.

I did what was necessary.
    You had no need to expand.

;)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Yes, mam! ;):D:p
  • so how does samadhi fit into the equation?

consciousness without an object. is this outside of the brain? or does it only function when you have a mind to get to no-mind?

if consciousness does exist based on other thing as pointed out above, what happens when a buddha dies? the buddha enters parinirvana. is that a place? or is it metaphorically pointing to something?

i have a feeling most of these questions cannot be answered, but idk it's interesting to hear all your opinions.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    so how does samadhi fit into the equation?

consciousness without an object. is this outside of the brain? or does it only function when you have a mind to get to no-mind?

if consciousness does exist based on other thing as pointed out above, what happens when a buddha dies? the buddha enters parinirvana. is that a place? or is it metaphorically pointing to something?

i have a feeling most of these questions cannot be answered, but idk it's interesting to hear all your opinions.
    Consciousness is dependently arisen of a sense. In Buddhism we don't speak of 5 senses, but 6 because the mind is the 6th. Therefore there is not 1 consciousness (often thought), but 6. Is this in the brain or not? Probably, yes a big part of it is, indeed. But is karma in the brain? That's the big question. :)

Imagine you walk the street and see a car. First the car meets eye (nothing you can do about that ;) ), then eye-consciousness occurs and then mind-consciousness just a flash after that. You hear something, ear-consciousness arises and straight after, mind kicks in to notice what you heard and give it a name, feeling etc. In Zen they sometimes use all means possible to get the pupil to notice the space between two of these events by focusing real closely in the moment. :D

The mind is almost always there, judging the senses. Samadhi is there to find out how this happens. We can slowly shut down the senses by focusing on 1 thing which is usually the breath.

Parinirvana is the end of suffering, both mental and bodily suffering.

Sabre :)
  • so how does samadhi fit into the equation?

The thing to consider is, all these labels like five of these and six stages of that and four types of whatever? Just aids to help visualize a reality that can't be captured in words and imagination. The mind really isn't divided into five processes, because the mind is actually without form. But it can be thought of in that way, as an aid to comprehension. Same with samadhi and the countless levels of meditative states in Tibetan Buddhism. Reality is that we know with constant practice, you can enter various altered states of consciousness in meditation. It's used as a tool to unlocking understanding of your mind. But like satori in the Zen practice, it can become the focus and instead of a tool, ends up a distraction. A good Teacher knows how to guide the student through such hurdles.

edited March 2011
    The guy in the video to me clearly wasn't taking meditation seriously, making jokes about how it can not be integrated into science, calling it mysticism etc.
    The guy in the video was making fun of certain teachers such as Deepak (I did not watch all the video). The guy in the video has gained a poor impression of meditation because of the descriptions provided by the teachers he is criticising. The Buddha did not teach mysticism & metaphysics. If any are to be faulted, it is the teachers who misrepresent meditation due to their moral & financial crusades.

Morality & reincarnation teachings = $$$$$$$$$

• DD why would people pay for morality :p Being a little silly but who wants to be moral. I would think something like 'Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brewed Beer' would sell more than morality.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    The thing to consider is, all these labels like five of these and six stages of that and four types of whatever? Just aids to help visualize a reality that can't be captured in words and imagination. ...

Good post
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    The guy in the video to me clearly wasn't taking meditation seriously, making jokes about how it can not be integrated into science, calling it mysticism etc.
    The guy in the video was making fun of certain teachers such as Deepak (I did not watch all the video). The guy in the video has gained a poor impression of meditation because of the descriptions provided by the teachers he is criticising. The Buddha did not teach mysticism & metaphysics. If any are to be faulted, it is the teachers who misrepresent meditation due to their moral & financial crusades.

Morality & reincarnation teachings = $$$$$$$$$

Well, I advise you to watch the entire video then, because besides from arguing against Deepak (which I can perfectly understand and can agree with) at the end he states meditation and personal experiences coming therefrom can never be merged with science. Maybe if you watch that part of the video you would understand my replies. He thinks 'the final explanation' will come from the current scientific approach.

I think it won't. One needs to look from it from within oneself, allow personal experiences in science. The Buddha also said you can't find all the answers by just talking and reasoning, you have to meditate to find it all out. I think every Buddhist would agree on that.

Sabre