Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Right View and the Eightfold Path

johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I found the following explanation of the eightfold path and its foundation in right view during my morning web browsing and thought I would share as it was very revelatory to me.

RIGHT VIEW (SAMMA DITTHI)

The noble eight-fold path is consisted of eight factors namely: right view, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. It is very important to note that the whole path begins with the right view. The right view is very important because it is only the right view that can lead to the right destination, not otherwise. Therefore the Buddha says; “he sees no single factor so responsible for the suffering of living being as wrong view and no single factor so potent in promoting the good of living being as right view”. What is this right view?

Right view according to Buddhism is that our life is very short. Moreover, life is uncertain while death is certain. And everyone in the world wants to live a happy life, nobody wants suffering. Why, then, should I do anything that might cause unhappiness either to myself or to others? The idea is that, if in any case I create an environment conducive to unhappiness to others, in that case, it is not possible for me to lead a happy life. To develop this attitude, the Buddha asks every individual to constantly reflect on five objects of contemplations. The five contemplations are:

1. I am sure to become old, I cannot avoid aging,
2. I am sure to become ill, I cannot avoid illness,
3. I am sure to die, I cannot avoid death,
4. I must be separated and departed from all that is dear and beloved to me,
5. I am the owner of my actions, heir of my actions, actions are the womb (from which I am sprung), actions are my relations, and actions are my protection. Whatever actions I do good or bad, of these I shall become the heir.

Once an individual thus reflects automatically his behavior to oneself and to others change. Thus his thought, speech, action, and livelihood, which constitute the next four factors of the path, become constructive too. In other words whatever he does he does it for the happiness of himself and of others who might be affected by his actions.

Moreover, not only he acts positively and constructively but, he makes right effort to maintain his thoughts and actions to be proper at all time. And he practices mindfulness to watch over his actions and concentrate on whatever he does so that each of his action becomes perfect.

Thus when a person leads his life having a proper or right view regarding the life and existence, his thoughts, actions and livelihood become positive. With positive attitude towards life whatever he does brings happiness to both him and others. This is the way to happiness, says the Buddha.

Reference: http://alokkhi.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/the-way-to-happiness/

Comments

• yup, so sudden enlightenment then gradual cultivation. sudden enlightenment is right view and the rest is working out the kinks or rather they are just interpretation of the same right view. depends on how you look at it i suppose. either way it all boils down to right view. each part of the path leads to right view and right view leads to all paths.
  • IMHO, the first factor of the Eightfold Path, namely "Right View" or "Right Understanding", points us to the Four Noble Truths. It integrates the Four Noble Truths into Eightfold Path. Being the first of the eight factors, it immediately outlines the core of the Buddhist practice: the existence of dukkha, its arising, its cessation, and finally the "way" leading to its cessation. This is where we all start...
  • 1. comprehension of dukkha; 2. abandoning its cause; 3. realising its cessation and; 4. developing the "way" leading to its cessation, which is simply abandoning its cause

:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I think right view from the mahamudra perspective is to turn towards your experience and not shy away. This extinguishes ignorance [etc the rest of the 4 NT] because the mind is clear luminous and unimpeded. Only when we split off experience are the kleshas experienced as something outside of us. When we are whole the kleshas are just phenomenon. These phenomenon are aprehended as we examine them with mindfulness.

We cannot hope to practice any of the other folds until we turn towards experience properly.

This is not my guru's teaching, just my independent thought.
  • Noble Eightfold Path is pretty much how to act like a proper human being.

Whenever there's a human interest story about some person that's been giving to the community etc, thats the right practice. You don't even need to worry about Nirvana and hell.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Noble Eightfold Path is pretty much how to act like a proper human being.

Whenever there's a human interest story about some person that's been giving to the community etc, thats the right practice. You don't even need to worry about Nirvana and hell.
    Very true, and why I consider Buddhism to be so much one of the world's great moral codes.

• the dalai lama mentioned that one should first tackle the four noble truths and realise the ignorance of humanity. But to also take refuge in the three jewels. This is a very good starting point for a beginner added to meditation IMO
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I find that right view and right resolve depend on each other as co-anchors. In other words, they're two sides of the same coin. For me, the only correct view is realizing that you're under a "Cloud of Unknowing," and you need to be resolved rightly not to become infatuated with this or that thing or idea or whatever around you. This is the Wisdom of the BuddhaDharma.

Just know that all is impermanent, save impermanence itself, and strive to be as unattached to name and form as you can. This is preliminary to not letting yourself be tainted by the world or hurting others. The rest will naturally follow.
  • I think right view from the mahamudra perspective is to turn towards your experience and not shy away.
    I agree. Right view and right intention all in one.
  • Suffering exist in all of us, its cause can be the start of its end. Knowing where the cause starts & dealing with it starts the end of the suffering. This knowledge helps others as well as ourselves and then leads to the end of suffering. having a life of experiences as helps depending on what those experiences are. My meditation involves watching nature & seeing how nature handles various problems. I do let my mind go but not so far as to loose the insight that I am learning.