Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interview with a practicing Buddhist

edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Interested in interviewing a practicing Buddhist for my Intro to World Religions Class. Very interested in personal involvement with the religion, personal beliefs and daily practices.

Comments

• I practice Buddhism, but am not involved in an organized sangha yet. There are no temples or lay communities close by. I could probably answer some questions though.
  • Thank you. Here are some basic questions that if you could answer for me would be a big help.

1. What is your name? (First name only is fine)
    2. How did you decide on becoming a Buddhist? And how long have you been practicing?
    3. Does your family practice Buddhism or just yourself?
    4. What are some important holidays if any that are celebrated for Buddhist?
    5. Could you describe a typical Buddhist worship or prayer service?
    6. Do you meditate? Could you describe how this is done?
    7. Could you explain what Karma and reincarnation are?
    8. Could you explain the importance of the Four Noble Truths?
    9. Could you explain the importance of the Eight Fold path?
    10. Do you go to a temple? Can you describe it for me?
    11. What different sects are in Buddhism and which one do you belong to?
    12. Who is the Buddha, and what is his relevance as a spirtual leader/figure?
    13. Do you have a favorite teaching or story of the Buddha?
    14. How has Buddhism changed or shaped your life?
    15. What do you believe is the central teaching of Buddhism?
  • I'll PM you in the best responses I can. I'm at work so it may take a bit.
  • edited April 2011
    Thank you.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    1. Nick

2. I began travelling around the world due to being dissatisfied with what ordinary life had to offer me. One day, in my travels, I visited a Buddhist monastery as a tourist. I read a book on meditation I decided to learn it. I fortunately found what I was looking for. That was 20 years ago.

3. Does your family practice Buddhism or just yourself?

Just myself. Australian/Lebanese family.

4. What are some important holidays if any that are celebrated for Buddhist?

Theravada Buddhism has three holidays, for the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha. Whilst I rarely celebrate these, you can research them on the internet; eg. Visakha Puja Day

5. Could you describe a typical Buddhist worship or prayer service?

Chanting then meditation. You can research 'Pali Chanting' in the internet

6. Do you meditate? Could you describe how this is done?

Meditation is sitting still or walking slowly back & forth on a short defined path. The principle meditation practise is to let go of craving & attachment.

7. Could you explain what Karma and reincarnation are?

Karma means intentional "action". The Buddha said: "Intention, I tell you, is kamma". Intentional action will bear a result. For example, steal & go to prison. Speak inconsiderately & lose a friend. Be trustworthy & diligent and get a good job. "Rebirth" is the result of one's karma. Some Buddhists believe these karmic results will carry over to another life, after death.

8. Could you explain the importance of the Four Noble Truths?

The Four Noble Truths are a diagnosis of human mental suffering, just like a doctor diagnoses a disease or illness, its cause, its relief and the medicine or method for relief from the disease. Just like when we are sick, if we cannot diagnose & cure our disease, we can not abide in well-being. The Four Noble Truths have this importance because the human world has so much suffering needing a cure.

9. Could you explain the importance of the Eight Fold path?

As above. The Eight Fold Path is the 4th Noble Truth and the method or medicine to cure the "spiritual disease".

10. Do you go to a temple? Can you describe it for me?

Rarely. But when I do, it is usually a simple room, with Buddha statue, some nice photos, plenty of flowers and many meditation cushions .

11. What different sects are in Buddhism and which one do you belong to?

Many. I do not belong to any sect by the closest is the Forest Sangha. I follow the teachings of the Buddha found in the scriptures. Where as sects are various and differing interpretations of the Buddha's teaching that have become a social goup.

12. Who is the Buddha, and what is his relevance as a spirtual leader/figure?

Although what I am about to say is not important because one should avoid conflict, to me, the Buddha was the most significant spirtual leader/figure in history. The Buddha was a spiritual "freak", in that his mind was naturally very very clear. The Buddha saw clearly the natural laws of cause & effect. He understood the optimal way to manage money, to conduct social relationships, the paths the happiness (heaven) and ruin (hell) and, of course, diagnosed suffering & its cure.

For example, when Jesus came to Israel, he revolutionised Western religion due to his emphasis on 100% unconditional spiritual love, forgiveness & non-violence. The Buddha perfected these virtues as salient spiritual values. Imo, other teachers like Jesus were able to introduce such values to other parts of the world because of Buddha.

13. Do you have a favorite teaching or story of the Buddha?

No. But the Angulimala Sutta is cool. Just google it

14. How has Buddhism changed or shaped your life?

Provided me with peace & understanding.

15. What do you believe is the central teaching of Buddhism?

The Buddha taught two kinds of teachings:

(1) New unique supramundane (lokuttara) teachings, such as not-self (anatta), emptiness (sunnata), dependent origination (paticcasummupada), the four noble truths (ariya sacca)and the 'karma that ends karma'.

(2) Pre-existing mundane (lokiya) teachings in improved forms, such as the Six Directions, the Four Brahma Vihara (loving kindness, compassion, etc), good & bad karma and rebirth (reincarnation)

The central teachings of Buddhism are listed in group (1).

The Buddha himself described his core teachings in a number of ways, such as:

(1) nothing whatsovever should be attached to

(2) teachings connected with emptiness (sunnata)

(3) a handful of leaves, namely, the Four Noble Truths

(4) "i teach only two things, namely, suffering & freedom from suffering

OK

Best wishs

:)

• You are very generous DD
    Thank You
  • Thank you very much for your insite. I appreciate it. Every answer from different postings show me something new and different about Buddhism. Although a lot of the basic answers are the same, Buddhism has impacted many peoples lives in different ways. I am gaining more interest with every post that I read. I live in a very small community that does not have a very diverse religious or cultural background. Being that I am in the military I get to go to a lot of different places but I dont always have the opportunity to get out and explore a lot of different things. Do you have any suggestions as to how I would start pursing Buddhism in my current situation being that resources are really not available?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2011
    If you have access to the internet via a personal computer, you can save links or download files.
    There are some extremely good websites, and I'm going to suggest two to you;
    The first is about as comprehensive a site as you could possibly get on teachings and suttas form the Theravada Tradition.
    The other is an excellent site of reference for Tibetan/Mahayana buddhism.

Please don't concern yourself for now, on whether you should adopt a tradition, and which one that should be.
    From a personal perspective, I didn't affiliate myself wish a specific school, or tradition, until I had been following Buddhism for over a decade!

Take what is useful to you, to develop an understanding.
    if you don't understand, simply investigate.
    But make sure that, whatever you decide to take on board as something which resonates with you, you have first scrutinised it infinitesimally in order to really establish, without any doubt, that it has meaning, truth, foundation, and is straight as a dye.

If you can't decide whether something does that or not - forget it for now.
    Lay it aside, and don't sweat over it.
    It may come to you later; being anxious, and feeling that you should or shouldn't take it on board is counter-productive to your own personal progress.

Happy investigation!

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index.html

http://viewonbuddhism.org/
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I agree mostly with Fed but you need not know the truth of every teaching. You need not practice every act. If you understood everything you would not need to practice buddhism. Just keep an open mind and it is like trusting a tour guide or getting married. You scrutinize them but you are not a fortune teller.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That's why I advised -
    If you can't decide whether something does that or not - forget it for now.
    Lay it aside, and don't sweat over it.
    That was my point, precisely.... :)