Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where to draw the line?

So sort of another opinion thread, however most elaborate, but I'm just trying to think this out. If someone thinks eggs are good, while another person thinks eggs are bad, why is believing in either necessary? By judging the taste of the egg you're having a preference. For instance if I were to be given an egg for breakfast that was made for me, but i didn't like eggs... why not just eat it? An egg is an egg is an egg. Like monks are often given meat, even if they don't like it, but they eat it anyway because it was a gift, and it is food. What is the point of judging something.

This even transcends the expected opinion nature that arises from people. For instance, if I were invited to a friends house, and someone shows up and appears to not like me, and I think "Man, why do they hate me?" I have formed an opinion that they most likely dislike me, and thus I will look into their actions toward me to prove myself right. Isn't this mostly what opinions serve as? To prove ourselves right? However, you can still be open minded and decide "Well maybe they are just having a bad day." But we don't know, being positive is still forming a belief that we cannot back. Which is silly and illogical, because:

1) We are still running in circles to justify what we perceive and
2) We have no backing or justification to think such.

BUT then... what if people were just to act on a moment to moment basis. Leave it as it is. By doing so, wouldn't you avoid discriminating against anything as well as expecting outcomes, or formulating reasons and situations?

If you were to judge a situation or a sensation wouldn't this also be creating duality? Why even subject ourselves to this?

(And please, I know I am trying to form an opinion in the matter, but bear with me the intentions of the question).

Thank you for reading this,
Ashley

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Based on your own stated premise, I'd be afraid to respond.
  • the thing is not every one thinks the same way and responding to this may not help you with your opinion on this.

you said

This even transcends the expected opinion nature that arises from people. For instance, if I were invited to a friends house, and someone shows up and appears to not like me, and I think "Man, why do they hate me?" I have formed an opinion that they most likely dislike me, and thus I will look into their actions toward me to prove myself right. Isn't this mostly what opinions serve as? To prove ourselves right? However, you can still be open minded and decide "Well maybe they are just having a bad day." But we don't know, being positive is still forming a belief that we cannot back. Which is silly and illogical, because:

your right we need to be open minded about it but if they have dose this to you before then it maybe safe to say that they dont like you but that dose not me you need to be anything but nice to them.

this is just my opinion
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Holding an opinion like the sky is blue after an observation of the sky is just as valid as not saying anything at all about the sky. Saying nothing or silence is no different than asserting every position on the matter.

The problem arises when we hold onto such views as mine or rather we want our views to be right and your view to be wrong. That is the problem and the solutions is there. STOP holding onto views.

Then you can say the sky is blue or you can say anything or nothing. They are all the same truth. It all depends on where the person stands in relation to what is said. A normal person might say the sky is blue and that person might really hold onto that view. Then the buddha might say the sky is blue and thats that.

I suppose its a weak argument...but it all comes down to clinging. The buddha doesn't cling to words, whereas the average person really clings to their words.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    The most important quality to cultivate is mental flexibility. For example, suppose you can't stand eggs. Even the smell makes you nauseous. The point is not to force yourself to eat eggs. It's to see that your judgement is relative. It's not the eggs that are bad. It's you that have a problem with eggs for some reason. This way you don't force yourself to eat what you hate (one extreme) or go around crusading against eggs (the other extreme). You see the situation in terms of causes and conditions and not in terms of absolutes.

The same applies to dealing with your friends and enemies, your job, your opinions, everything in life.
  • Yes, you will be creating duality as soon as you have a view, any kind of view. This is why Budhha said that you have to transcend even views. They are the raft to be left behind when you have crossed the shore.
  • Forming an opinion is fine. Just be willing to adjust it or even let it go. Try to form no opinions... It's just not possible. The brain is an organ for the human animal to experience the world. The brain is supposed to take input from the senses and use it to form models of the world. It uses memories of experiences to build a set of rules, then judges future experiences using these rules. Brain says, "I suck", then when experiences occur to validate this assumption, the opinion "I suck" is strengthened. If Brain decides "I suck" and experiences occur that invalidate this assumption, it simply tosses aside the evidence, since it doesn't fit with current "suck" model (But this is assuming that someone is not consciously aware of there self-esteem model), lol.
    I think that "having no opinion" as a goal, is unrealistic. After all... isn't that riding on the opinion that having "no opinions" is a good and enlightened way to live life? It might be better to just be aware of our new/old or currently forming perspectives, and be willing to challenge our "brain's models". There is a danger in holding onto a perspective, even when it is wrong or harmful. But it would be "all or nothing thinking" to suddenly decide that this must mean "opinions are always terrible and should never be allowed to form".
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2011
    This is why Budhha said that you have to transcend even views.
    Even views are fine, its the odd ones you have to transcend.

Ashley,

We don't need to renounce views, but as jinzang noted, we become flexible in our thinking.

Trying to transcend a view is just trying to supress our preferences. People who do that are like a bottle of soda all shaken up. One little poke and they explode all over the place.

As we continue our mindful practices, we become more flexible... but its an eroding, not a denial or supression. It is a naturally cultivating spaciousness in our minds that grows as we let go of our clinging to views.

First, we are convinced we are right and fight to uphold our views. Then, we relax and remain receptive to what other people see... even when it differs from what we see. For instance, when you notice the people who 'don't like' you, rather than it becoming a conflict with your self image (they don't like me), you might notice what problems they are actually having, what their view is (they are seeing me in such a way).

With warmth,

Matt

• As we continue our mindful practices, we become more flexible... but its an eroding, not a denial or supression.
    Well said! Make the mind malleable, suppression is just another form of rigidity.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the answer comes form the question, "what causes ignorance"?

When does ignorance appear, and why?

as soon as you open your mouth, ignorance appears. if you ask why does ignorance appear, it appears.

if you have no question then it never appears and never disappears.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    1. Yes there are some things worth sacrificing for, and there's a point in making that sacrifice, but that doesn't mean we should bury are heads in the sand all the time. The world wont end just because we stand on one of our opinions.

2. People have different outlooks on life. We just have to feel lucky to be who we are. Knowing who we are and feeling good about ourselves is key to understanding others.

3. You can if you choose to live that way. But there will be times when we can't even do that. You can never really know for sure what will happen each and every day. Things will go our way when our good karma has fully ripened.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Would members please note:
    The "Advanced Ideas" forum is a location for more experienced Buddhists to discuss more complex aspects of Buddhism, the suttas, (inflection, inference and insinuation) and the Dhamma/Dharma.

Not a place to chat about whether you should eat an egg or not!
    For goodness' sake!
    Moved to general banter.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Before he received transmission, the Six Patriarch was known as Layman No. He
    was very simple, uneducated man who only worked hard to support his mother. Every
    day, he went to the mountains to gather firewood to sell in the markets and town near
    his home. One day, before he entered the monastery, he was finishing the delivery of
    some firewood to a customer. As he walked through the bustling marketplace, he
    passed a monk who was chanting a sutra. Layman No heard the line, “Do not
    become attached to any thoughts that in the mind.” Hearing this, he was suddenly
    enlightened. He realized something about the nature of his mind. Before that
    moment, he never knew anything about Buddhism. He never studied sutras. He didn’t
    know Dharma. He didn’t even know how to write Chinese characters! He never
    understood anything. Layman No was complete stupid. He heard only this line, “Don’t
    become attached to any thoughts which arise in the mind” and ---BOOM! --- he got
    enlightenment! When you see, hear, smell, taste, and touch, and think, everything ---
    just received --- is the truth. So thinking is also truth if you do not let yourself become
    attached to thinking as it comes and goes in your mind. But very few people can do
    this. They believe that their thinking is real, and follow it everywhere. This is desire,
    and all desire is suffering. If you simply let your thinking go, then that same thinking is
    the truth. When you see a red light, stop; when you see a green light, go.

This line in the Diamond Sutra makes a very simple point, but it is very deep
    teaching. It shows us a very clear way to experience nonattached thinking. Just think.
    “Just think” means there is no “I” “Just think” mean there is no subject and no object.
    Inside and outside always become one. It means just do it. When you see the sky,
    there is only blue. That is “just think.” When you see the tree, there is only green. Just
    think. The wall is white. Just think. It is now seven fifty-six PM. Right now we hear the
    wind blowing outside. Just think. It means just perceive. This is nonattachment
    thinking: thoughts come and go in your mind with no hindrance. This is very, very
    important teaching.

-The Compass of Zen by Zen Master Seung Sahn Sunim