Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mental chatter ceasing?

ZenshinZenshin VeteranEast Midlands UK Veteran
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I'm experiencing times when my mental chatter completely ceases except for an occasional stray thought that will cross m,y mind. I am able to focus my total attention on what I am doing without being caught upo in past or future. Is this because of meditation and is it a form of mindfulness? I am a little worried as some psych tests ask you if your thouights just stop. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi @Lonely_Traveller,

It's a good thing. The more quieter it is, the more easier it is to contemplate and reflect on impermanence, suffering, and not-self. Complete quietness is like being in a big open field, and having the space to move around as opposed to being completely surrounded by something, and not being able to move as much. I am sure it's because of meditation, and that it could be a form of mindfulness if you were not clinging to it. I wouldn't worry about psych tests as they might not meditate and are unaware of the rewards of meditation.

with metta
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    You may have awakened to your true nature. If that is so google mooji and read up on how to use your fortunate awakening.

wish you the best.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Mental chatter ceasing is not awakening. But on the other hand it is a result of meditation. The longer you meditate the longer you can subdue the words until you can leave the thoughts for long periods of time and really reside in the beautiful and energizing silence of the mind. You are right, when you are totally in the present moment it is very likely you will not have any thoughts. 99% -if not all- of the thoughts we have are about the past of future. They almost always reflect or plan ahead.

You really want to cultivate this silence, don't be afraid of it. You won't die without thoughts, they have nothing to do with you anyway. As Buddha said, thoughts are without a self, which means they basically just do what they want on their own. You don't want to cling to something as unreliable as that! ;)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

You really want to cultivate this silence, don't be afraid of it. ;)
    agree to this whole heartedly
    and
    congratulations (lonely-traveller) for what have already achieved too!!

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Thanks for the replies folks, sorry if my comments are a little iffy, I am typing on my phone, right now it just happens at random, comes on out of nowhere I have had it last for ten minutes, other times upto a couple of hours or so, the first time I was watching tv with my gf. Its an interesting experience, a nice respite from the crazy monkey chatter.
  • For me it was mindfulness that helped me rid some of the mental chatter (good way of calling it btw). Every time some mental chatter, came up I would reason it out with myself and explain (to myself) that I don't need to have these thoughts. After a while I would really stop having those thoughts.

For me it was like reprogramming myself.
  • I'm experiencing times when my mental chatter completely ceases except for an occasional stray thought that will cross m,y mind. I am able to focus my total attention on what I am doing without being caught upo in past or future. Is this because of meditation and is it a form of mindfulness? I am a little worried as some psych tests ask you if your thouights just stop. Thanks in advance.
    I'm *SO* jealous! Good for you!! :)
  • Good on ya, mate! I am able to do this occasionally by doing a simple clear light visualization, but not for nearly as long as you. This is definitely a good thing.
  • There are aspects of the Buddhist ideal that are considered anti-social or problematic in one way or another from a pscyh standpoint. For example, being a loner, being in the world but not of the world, keeping only the rare "virtuous friend", as is recommended in various sutras, is considered anti-social and maladjusted from a "mundane" perspective.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Thanks for the replies folks, sorry if my comments are a little iffy, I am typing on my phone, right now it just happens at random, comes on out of nowhere I have had it last for ten minutes, other times upto a couple of hours or so, the first time I was watching tv with my gf. Its an interesting experience, a nice respite from the crazy monkey chatter.
    Nice. :) Now try to cultivate it in meditation. That's a bit harder than while watching tele, but trust me it is worth all the effort.

With metta,
    Sabre

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    ...your true nature.
    :-/
    ...cultivate this silence, don't be afraid of it.
    Agree. In this silence, there is peace. The true peace nature.

:)
    Thanks for the supportive replies and advice folks, I do experience similar experiences in meditation from time to time, the thing I've noticed about Buddhism is that once you see the truth in it, you examples of the noble truths everywhere.
    edited June 2011
    @Sabre

Remember mate I'm (allegedly) schizophrenic and have a serious depressive disorder, my mind is usually such a seething mass of neuroses that for me to have a calm mind under any circumstances is a major miracle, Psychiatry has never been able to produce these mental states.

Your right though trying to reproduce it under meditative conditions is tougher.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    I've noticed about Buddhism is that once you see the truth in it, examples of the noble truths everywhere.
    TRUE