Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Precepts

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Today
I've been working on studying for some time now, and I would like to take my faith and practice to the next level. In doing so I've looked to the precepts for guidance, but I'd like to hear what others think. The Precepts which I have studied from (as I have found the wording sometimes differs) are as follows:

1) To undertake the training to avoid taking the life of beings.

2) To undertake the training to avoid taking things not given.

3) To undertake the training to avoid sensual misconduct.

4) To undertake the training to refrain from false speech.

5) To undertake the training to abstain from substances which cause intoxication and heedlessness.

Number 2 I have little problem with, and understand. If it is not clear that it is for me I shall not take it, and of course, no stealing. Number 4 I understand to avoid lying and deceit, as well as any actions which do not benefit others.

But precepts 1-3-5 I have been struggling with figuring out how to apply to my life.

1) I suppose this comes down to the meat/vegetarian/vegan debate. I have heard the argument that this is nearly impossible in today's society, as even if you eat vegetables countless animals were killed to clear the land, and killed to be kept away. So unless you harvest your own food this is nearly impossible. So to what degree is it wise to follow?

3) I realize this is more than sex and covers many forms of gluttony. But when does it crossover to misconduct?

5) I've heard this to imply no drugs/alcohol, ect. My question is when does it yield "heedlessness"? I can have one glass of wine over an hour and not worry about heedlessness at all, but does it break this precept?

I know many of these are questions I must ultimately answer for myself. But I'm wondering how others have incorporated them into their daily lives.

Comments

• jlljll Veteran
    I have a simple suggestion.
    Practise the precepts that you are comfortable with.
    Precepts are meant to make your life happier.
    If your confidence in dhamma increases, you will want to
    practise the precepts.
    No need to feel compelled to do anything.
  • I made two distinct lies yesterday and feel completely ashamed. The precepts seem easy at first but as you continue your practice the actual weight of achieving even these small vows can be very difficult. ugh

In regards to your questions:
    1) Don't, by your own and hand by your own volition, kill or cause the death of another living being. Eating meat is not breaking the precept. Samsara is a sad state and full of woe. Eating is necessary for survival.

3) Don't hurt anyone either physically or emotionally with your sexual behavior. Maintain healthy, trusting relationships motivated by love and understanding. Don't commit adultery.

5) Many people know their limit, even more don't. Drugs and alcohol are a dangerous risk to one's practice. The Buddha recomends abstaining completely in order to protect onself and others from harmful and heedless behavior.

Sometimes I break the precepts. It always makes me feel bad when I do, just because I feel like I have betrayed myself. The drinking thing is not as important (in my opinion) as the others, but it is the easiest to control. Remember that it is easy to refrain from lying when you have nothing to lie about. It's when you are confronted with a choice (lie or not, kill or not, drink or not) that your true colors shine through.
  • One think you might like to think on is that the intoxicant precept isn't just about drink and drugs but about all things that intoxicate and defile.

• Sometimes I break the precepts. It always makes me feel bad when I do, just because I feel like I have betrayed myself.
    You should have more compassion for yourself. You are practicing buddhism (I am assuming that), when we practice things we should always give ourselves room to make mistakes. Instead of feeling bad, I like to redirect that energy back into my practice, and even that doesn't happen every time.
  • @tmottes

It's not like I go home and cut myself. I just feel bad about not doing as well as I know I am capable of doing. You know?
  • @Talisman, yeah I understand what you mean, it can be hard when you know you can do better. Do you entertain the bad feelings? or do you just watch them arise and leave?
  • #4 varies a lot, too, depending on the tradition. Some versions say not to engage in false speech. Others say not to slander. Still others say not to talk about people negatively at all, not to talk about people behind their back.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    1) even if you eat vegetables countless animals were killed to clear the land, and killed to be kept away. So unless you harvest your own food this is nearly impossible. So to what degree is it wise to follow?

3) I realize this is more than sex and covers many forms of gluttony. But when does it crossover to misconduct?

5) I've heard this to imply no drugs/alcohol, ect. My question is when does it yield "heedlessness"? I can have one glass of wine over an hour and not worry about heedlessness at all, but does it break this precept?
    1) the precepts say "i undertake the training". they are not absolute. they are training rules to be used in the appropriate circumstances. thus one reflects upon one's intentions when practising them. we harvest food with the intention to preserve life (rather than the intention to kill with violence)

2) It does not cover any forms of gluttony. You are mistaken here

3) One glass of wine does not really break the precept. Again, one must reflect upon one's intention

Kind regards

:)