Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killing animals is not "wrong" but it is CRUELTY

edited August 2011 in General Banter
"as a mother at the risk of her life watches over her
child, so let everyone cultivate a boundlessly compassionate mind toward all living beings." Budha.

just wondering how does killing animals for meat have anything to do with compassion?? how can one kid themselves into thinking this is compassion knowing the animal was likely tortured and killed for your taste buds.
do you think most vegetarians honestly just give up meat to be radical or cool or self -righteous? don't you think maybe it was hard for most at first to give up what one is used to-- but each time they become aware of their dinner plate. they think before they eat about the animal that gave it's life and suffered unecessarily
( when today there are 1000's of alternatives to meat)

also why did dalai lama become a vegetarian spokesperson when he was once a vegetarian ? he later admitted in an interview that he and his brother used to fight over the meat at his father's house as a kid.

People think of animals as if they were vegetables, and that is not right. We have to change the way people think about animals. I encourage the Tibetan people and all people to move toward a vegetarian diet that doesn't cause suffering."
- The Dalai Lama

" eating meat kills the seed of compassion." - Budha.

If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." ~Paul McCartney

As custodians of the planet it is our responsibility to deal with all species with kindness, love and compassion. That these animals suffer through human cruelty is beyond understanding. Please help to stop this madness.
~ Richard Gere,

"I am a vegetarian for health reasons - the health of the chicken." ...... Mohandas Gandhi

Auschwitz happens when people look at a slaughterhouse and think they are only animals

~ Theodore Adorno, sociologist and philosopher

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    "'If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.' ~ Paul McCartney."

Then again, SIR Paul -- net worth in the neighborhood of $800,000,000 -- has probably never watched illegal men, women, and children from Mexico breaking their backs picking some of his favored veggies and fruits in the Great Valley of California.
  • wow that was a dumb argument. what does money have to do with it? how do you know how much of that he donates? you are deflecting at any rate and its kind of pathetic to do that in debates.
    for all you know he eats organic, and um. doesn't he live in england ?? haha.

we all have to eat doing the least harm possible to children animal and plant.
    to show compassion and be mindful.

there is a difference between having to eat vegetable- and or- meat for that matter - if there is no other option and you do all you can to avoid the suffering.

i don't go around killing people either- oh well because people die, suffering is there- i don't add to it or at least i try NOT too.

TO GO OUTRIGHT AND EAT A JUICY STEAK OR VEAL - i mean you are doing it intentionally and putting your taste buds first, this is not an act of compassion.
    your supposed to do your best, not just pretend that you do so you can say you are a "buddhist" :)

• read up on the oldest scriptures before you pretend your a "buddhist"

http://www.veggiebuddhists.com/lankavatarasutra
    wow that was a dumb argument. what does money have to do with it? how do you know how much of that he donates? you are deflecting at any rate and its kind of pathetic to do that in debates.
    for all you know he eats organic, and um. doesn't he live in england ?? haha.

we all have to eat doing the least harm possible to children animal and plant.
    to show compassion and be mindful.

there is a difference between having to eat vegetable- and or- meat for that matter - if there is no other option and you do all you can to avoid the suffering.

i don't go around killing people either- oh well because people die, suffering is there- i don't add to it or at least i try NOT too.

TO GO OUTRIGHT AND EAT A JUICY STEAK OR VEAL - i mean you are doing it intentionally and putting your taste buds first, this is not an act of compassion.
    your supposed to do your best, not just pretend that you do so you can say you are a "buddhist" :)

You quoted him...brought him into the discussion. And whether it's organic or not, it still has to be picked, and that's usually by poor people who are underpaid.

I don't care where he lives. The principle is the same.

You're talking about compassion toward animals. I'm talking about compassion, too...but to the people who pick the veggies and fruits.

I'm fine if you don't want to eat meat because of your principles. But don't LECTURE people who have different principles.

• Eat meat or eat veggies. Your choice. Ether way other beings suffer and die for it. This is simply how the world is. So make you choice, and try not to hold a superior view of yourself doing so.
  • If I grow it, I pick it, and I eat it, the only suffering involved comes from the strain on my back, and the coal I'm burning to generate the electricity to cook it (which affects all of us).

It would be nice if we could all do that for all of our food, but we can't, so we have to rely on others to work for us. Is that a fair system? Not at all, since profit motive is the main factor in it. As long as the profit motive is the main driving force in society, there will continue to be unfairness and suffering at the bottom.

What Paul McCartney's fortune has to do with that is utterly beyond my comprehension.
    Is that a fair system? Not at all, since profit motive is the main factor in it. As long as the profit motive is the main driving force in society, there will continue to be unfairness and suffering at the bottom.

What Paul McCartney's fortune has to do with that is utterly beyond my comprehension.
    Not all profit motive hurts anyone. There's nothing wrong with work done with a fair wage in safe conditions.

• If I grow it, I pick it, and I eat it, the only suffering involved comes from the strain on my back, and the coal I'm burning to generate the electricity to cook it (which affects all of us).
    You've probably tilled the soil in order to plant your food. Maybe you've even used some pesticides or herbicides to keep bugs from devouring and weeds from choking out your crops.
  • that is the dumbest argument SOOO DUMB lol

the main argument for that is WHY NOT JUST KILL HUMANS AND EAT THEM WHILE YOUR AT IT ? i mean you want to kill? be my guest....budhism is about compassion.
    i think you have lost site of the word's meaning -- i assume it is just a word to you...like everything else in your lexicon. i mean how can you say you are a budhist when your a fake?

1) you should do your best not to kill anything or anyone, if you can help it out of empathy and compassion.

2) we need to eat something but best to eat vegetables or at worst lower life forms with the least pain receptors or like bugs which do not suffer anything like an animal will- i mean that is common sense.. have you ever read basic biology??

3) the animals you eat, are not just killed, they are tortured in holocaust camp. and it is you that is causing this - you are the link in the chain, your karma- as a buyer.

4) nobody is perfect, but as a ###budhist ( i am not i dont say im anything) but i DO have a conscience, and any budhist should and would follow the basic principle DO NO HARM as best you can.

5) it's time to wake up, but you never will if you can't grasp the concept of compassion and empathy.

• this is not about a superior view - funny that you took the argument that way- it is about me standing up for the ones with no voice--
    just like i would if this was nazi germany vs. the jews. i would do the same because im not a sheep.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    this is not about a superior view - funny that you took the argument that way- it is about me standing up for the ones with no voice-
    Its about you running off at the mouth. Really, does ranting about it save one creature? Maybe go to a PETA rally. Or donate some cash. Don't forget that not all animal products come from slaughter houses. The fish I kill for a living roam wild before they bite the hook. They are mainly hatchery reared and are returning to a stream that cannot support their numbers.Its about choices.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I would love to see all humans vegetarian, and who knows the way the world population is exploding this may happen in the future ( or at least using in-vitro meat), maybe not in my lifetime tough. Anyway even though I am a vegetarian, I have to accept and respect people who are not, and I do. However, I will still stand up for animal welfare and rights, to ensure that the animals that are sent to slaughter for food, at least have had a good standard of life in natural conditions, which is why I champion free range food and also sustainable food.

For the people who champion animal welfare, there are a huge amount of small battles to be won before the war can be won, but as long as we keep fighting our corner for those who cannot, a positive difference can be made to the countless number of animals in the world in need of help.

this is not about a superior view - funny that you took the argument that way- it is about me standing up for the ones with no voice-
    This is a discussion board, not a dictator board. Not everyone -- in fact, the majority of people in the world -- shares your view.
  • that is the dumbest argument SOOO DUMB lol

the main argument for that is WHY NOT JUST KILL HUMANS AND EAT THEM WHILE YOUR AT IT ? i mean you want to kill? be my guest....budhism is about compassion.
    i think you have lost site of the word's meaning -- i assume it is just a word to you...like everything else in your lexicon. i mean how can you say you are a budhist when your a fake?

1) you should do your best not to kill anything or anyone, if you can help it out of empathy and compassion.

2) we need to eat something but best to eat vegetables or at worst lower life forms with the least pain receptors or like bugs which do not suffer anything like an animal will- i mean that is common sense.. have you ever read basic biology??

3) the animals you eat, are not just killed, they are tortured in holocaust camp. and it is you that is causing this - you are the link in the chain, your karma- as a buyer.

4) nobody is perfect, but as a ###budhist ( i am not i dont say im anything) but i DO have a conscience, and any budhist should and would follow the basic principle DO NO HARM as best you can.

5) it's time to wake up, but you never will if you can't grasp the concept of compassion and empathy.

To be quite frank I could not care less whether you think I'm a "fake" Buddhist or not. Sure, I'm a link in a chain. As are you. As is everyone. All our actions have effects, positive and negative, on ourselves and others. So I tell you what: you worry about your own karma. I'll worry about mine.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    "'If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian.' ~ Paul McCartney."

Then again, SIR Paul -- net worth in the neighborhood of $800,000,000 -- has probably never watched illegal men, women, and children from Mexico breaking their backs picking some of his favored veggies and fruits in the Great Valley of California.
    to be fair, vinlyn, i think this is a rather low argumentation method in which you pick something about the person that is not relative to the argument in means of making the argument less credible. it would be best to try to judge the quote based upon the quote and on that note, i think he might be right. slaughterhouses are upsetting, most people don't want to see that. and if they did... it might change things for them. it did for me.

the answer to your point (of underpaid labor) is the same as the answer many vegetarians have found. to the best of your ability, stop supporting industries that cause suffering. as far as vegetables, this may include visiting a local farmers market or the farms themselves if you happen to live close enough. as far as supermarkets go, do some research on the brands you buy from. i don't like when people post blanket statistics that make everything seem so evil and hopeless. i prefer to stay positive and do what i can.

@brodyn

where did the buddha say this quote? despite vegetarianism being a weekly topic on this board, i have never heard this quote, which makes me think it is not real.

to be fair, vinlyn, i think this is a rather low argumentation method in which you pick something about the person that is not relative to the argument in means of making the argument less credible. it would be best to try to judge the quote based upon the quote and on that note, i think he might be right. slaughterhouses are upsetting, most people don't want to see that. and if they did... it might change things for them. it did for me.

the answer to your point (of underpaid labor) is the same as the answer many vegetarians have found. to the best of your ability, stop supporting industries that cause suffering. as far as vegetables, this may include visiting a local farmers market or the farms themselves if you happen to live close enough. as far as supermarkets go, do some research on the brands you buy from. i don't like when people post blanket statistics that make everything seem so evil and hopeless. i prefer to stay positive and do what i can.

@brodyn

where did the buddha say this quote? despite vegetarianism being a weekly topic on this board, i have never heard this quote, which makes me think it is not real.
    No, to be FAIR, Zombiegirl, vegetarians and PETA-ites should stop trying to force their beliefs and principles on others. Which is why I object to the McCartney stance. Which is why I object to the OP's stance. And, it's a very short-sighted stance. I've stood in a field in southern California and watched what is probably illegal immigrant labor -- some of it underage (and should be in school) -- pick veggies for a back-breaking poor salary for long hours 6 or 7 days a week in high season...and I've seen the shacks they live in...and the trucks they are transported in. And I've stood on the dock in a canning factory and watched the poor, poor women working the processing machines trimming the veggies and fruits (partly by hand) and operating the machines in temperatures that were in the mid-to high 80s or higher for long, long days, sweat pouring off them...all for poor wages that no one on this forum would work for...and I've seen the shacks they live in, too.

Have you not noticed a general principle that floats around this forum very strongly -- that Buddhism is not a religion/philosophy that FORCES you to adhere to a set of somebody else's rules? And yet, the OP wants to take what some feel is a Buddhist principle and enforce it through harsh statements and recriminations. And frankly, I'll prefer to observe what is acceptable to tens of thousands of monks over that of the OP...at least it's one yardstick. I think Brodyn ought to realize that anyone of us could take almost anyone else on this forum, get to know them, and begin harshly criticizing some aspects of their behavior and beliefs. But to me (and this is just one of my beliefs) that wouldn't be very Buddhist, either.

And is it what Buddhism really says? I lived in Thailand, and I go to Theravada temples here in the US. I have yet to see a Thai BUDDHIST MONK who doesn't eat meat. In fact, the whole of Buddhist Thailand is a pretty much a meat eating country.

Anyone who wants to eat only veggies, that's fine with me. It's their choice based on their beliefs. I'm happy for them. But stop trying to shove their belief down my throat. It's no different than the doorbell ringing, Bible thumping, evangelical Christians trying to shove their religious beliefs on everyone else...and there aren't very many people on this website/forum that think that is acceptable.

edited August 2011
    @vinlyn, I agree, people should not force their beliefs on others, but we can debate why we believe what we do, after all it is a forum, so we should encourage discussion and debate. Again I am vegetarian, and instead of imposing my beliefs of vegetarianism onto people who eat meat and don't want to listen, I would rather try to encourage meat eaters to buy from sources which ensure animal welfare, and this principle also goes for all food including vegetarian food, by that I mean vegetarians should also ensure that their food comes from ethical sources, such as fair trade, and not from the sources that you cite in your post.
    And as far as I am aware Paul Mccartney has never participated in or encouraged the type of labour in fields that you talk about in your posts, therefore I think it was a bit unfair and needless to cite him in your argument.

I also think it was unfair of @brodyn to criticize so harshley, and question the faith of the Buddhists who eat meat. While I understand the reasons why you could say these things, your not going to change anyone's attitude about eating meat by criticizing them as you have. If you want people to change, then the best way to do this is to show them a positive reason for doing so, by showing the benefits there change in eating habbits can have to workers and animals, not by preaching to them about how eating meat is unBuddhist.

Thats my two cents anyway :D
    @vinlyn, I agree, people should not force their beliefs on others, but we can debate why we believe what we do, after all it is a forum, so we should encourage discussion and debate. Again I am vegetarian, and instead of imposing my beliefs of vegetarianism onto people who eat meat and don't want to listen, I would rather try to encourage meat eaters to buy from sources which ensure animal welfare, and this principle also goes for all food including vegetarian food, by that I mean vegetarians should also ensure that their food comes from ethical sources, such as fair trade, and not from the sources that you cite in your post.
    And as far as I am aware Paul Mccartney has never participated in or encouraged the type of labour in fields that you talk about in your posts, therefore I think it was a bit unfair and needless to cite him in your argument.

I also think it was unfair of @brodyn to criticize so harshley, and question the faith of the Buddhists who eat meat. While I understand the reasons why you could say these things, your not going to change anyone's attitude about eating meat by criticizing them as you have. If you want people to change, then the best way to do this is to show them a positive reason for doing so, by showing the benefits there change in eating habbits can have to workers and animals, not by preaching to them about how eating meat is unBuddhist.

Thats my two cents anyway :D
    Actually, I think you and I are more in agreement that you think at first glance.

As I said previously, I have no problem with people who are vegetarians or who promote it -- TO A REASONABLE DEGREE. And there's nothing wrong with an evenhanded discussion and even a debate. But when you begin (as you put it) to criticize others' moral beliefs harshly...that is what I am objecting to.

I'm not the one who brought Paul McCartney up to begin with. But if we're going to quote him as being wise on the subject, I just want to point out that perhaps Paul is unaware of what the harvesters of fruits and veggies endure...and some of us are very concerned about the wages and living conditions and education of farm workers, many (or perhaps most) of whom live in abject poverty. Yes, there's the unseen aspect of processing meat (although I have been in an Asian wet market), but there's also the unseen toll on humans who pick and process veggies and fruits.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I'm not the one who brought Paul McCartney up to begin with. But if we're going to quote him as being wise on the subject, I just want to point out that perhaps Paul is unaware of what the harvesters of fruits and veggies endure...and some of us are very concerned about the wages and living conditions and education of farm workers, many (or perhaps most) of whom live in abject poverty. Yes, there's the unseen aspect of processing meat (although I have been in an Asian wet market), but there's also the unseen toll on humans who pick and process veggies and fruits.
    but this is purely pointless speculation. how do you know that paul doesn't use some of his millions to donate to this cause? how do you know that he isn't aware of it, carefully selecting veggies from sources that do not abuse their labor? there's no way to know this unless he's a close personal friend and you have actually had this conversation with him. i wouldn't assume that just because he's rich and a vegetarian, that he cares little for people. i heard once that he donated nearly 2 million for tsunami relief.

i understand your point, that it's not enough to think that just cutting meat out of your diet will end the suffering. it's always a good policy to be aware of the impact our choices have on the environment, but i really don't think that paul has anything to do with this. it's all a matter of perspective. obviously, you have some aggression towards vegetarians and you feel that they are judging you. and perhaps they are, but why does it bother you so much? i've met some vegs/vegans that have irritated me in my life, lol. i don't like when anyone makes others feel bad (you know the ones that openly criticize across the dinner table, "i can't believe you're eating THAT..."), but i don't see anything wrong with providing a point of view. polite conversation takes some tact, and of course, some people fall short of the bar. in my mindstate, i didn't find paul's comment to be infuriating or judgmental, i just felt he was making a point on the fact that most average people don't know what goes on in slaughterhouses, and they prefer to keep it that way. i have met people that have told me that they prefer not to know because they don't want to feel bad about it.

i would imagine that most people who are compassionate enough to animals to stop eating meat would be compassionate to humans who are paid unfair labor. so instead of just complaining on a message board, what can we do about this? are there any charities you know that help combat this sort of thing that we could promote? maybe it would be helpful to do some research yourself on different brands that engage in these unfair labor tactics and then get the word out. in this world, money is the only way that a small and insignificant person like you or i can have any effect on a huge corporation and the internet can be a powerful resource.

I really have nothing more to say on the subject. I've stated my point of view. Now you folks can continue discussing the topic, if you wish. I'm going out for a hamburger.
  • Hope its a Quorn one :D
    No, I think it's cruel to eat fungus.
  • The monks who beg do not turn their noses up at what is offered, may it be meat,fowl vegetables or fish. They are GRATEFUL for what is given them for sustenance, for survival - that they may continue to practice the dharma. They do not question what is right in those moments, else they'd starve.
    That said, sll of it is practice anyway, just like doctors practice medicine. There is no perfection, and new veins of thought arise all the time, so therefore no one should be passing judgement on another's practices(s).
    There seems to be some holier than thou attitudes here, and that is a shame. Compassion is compassion, whether it be toward ourselves or another, it should be paramount, the rest just falls into place.

edited August 2011
    No, I think it's cruel to eat fungus.
    Oh Oh @vinlyn, you just upset the fungitarians :(

Anyone here for vegetable rights ?

"Vegetable Rights are defined as undeniable rights possessed by plants and other non-animal living things. Vegetable rights activists believe in the natural rights of vegetables and other plant life. These groups oppose all forms of plant bondage and genocide, including the keeping of house plants (which are referred to as "slave plants" in the movement), vegetable gardens, family farming, landscaping, tree trimming, grass mowing, and public parks."

From a reputable source !

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vegetable_Rights

I never thought of the cactus in my Living room as a slave plant. Something to reflect on
    :nyah:

Vegetarian article is funny also

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vegetarians