Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm so attached to my looks.... seriously

edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
How I look determines my mood pretty much.

When I look in the mirror and I feel ugly, I get into a gloomy mood. There won't be much that could change the way I feel for the better.

If I look decent in the mirror, I feel happy and move on with my day.

My friend used to say his mood depends on the amount of acne on his face. He said he would wake up and look how much acne there was on his face and it would determine his mood for that day.

We all do care about our looks to a degree for different reasons.

I'm pretty obsessed about it due to some insecurities and future plans.

What would be a buddhist approach to this kind of situation?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I stopped looking in the mirror. :) Glances, sure, but gazing in to my own eyes is not beneficial, and never was.

You could also meditate on the transience of good looks.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I stopped looking in the mirror. :)
    I came here to say this.
  • edited October 2011
    Really?... you guys dont check out yourselves? Just wash and go?

Does it help? Why are you guys doing this? Am i asking too many questions?!?!?! lol
  • "I'm pretty obsessed about it due to some insecurities and future plans.

What would be a buddhist approach to this kind of situation?"

@pain: Buddhist approach to this kind of situation is to see as the things are.
    You are already doing it - you are seeing the truth as it is.
    No need to do anything more. Just enjoy what you are doing. Feeling guilty about the truth of the matter would be repugnant to Buddhism.
  • edited October 2011

Does it help? Why are you guys doing this? Am i asking too many questions?!?!?! lol
    I wash my face, put on moisturizer, make sure my hair doesn't make me look like a crazy person, but I've stopped wearing makeup except on special occasions (I should probably cut that out as well). Glances, like I said. But as a general rule, I avoid reflective surfaces! XD I'm not shunning mirrors (creating aversion), just minimizing their importance in my life.

I do this because I have insecurities about my looks as well-- I think most if not all people do. I see it as a very basic issue that doesn't really require a lot of analysis. Thich Nhat Hanh says we should "water the good seeds within us" and cease to water the bad. Staring into the mirror waters bad seeds in me-- seeds of insecurity, vanity, egotism. However, I see the action of avoiding mirrors as a basically neutral action (as opposed to a directly beneficial action) that makes it easier then to find something to help me to water the good seeds of compassion, kindness, wisdom, etc.
  • Really?... you guys dont check out yourselves? Just wash and go?

I wash my face, put on moisturizer, make sure my hair doesn't make me look like a crazy person, but I've stopped wearing makeup except on special occasions (I should probably cut that out as well). Glances, like I said. But as a general rule, I avoid reflective surfaces! XD I'm not shunning mirrors (creating aversion), just minimizing their importance in my life.

I do this because I have insecurities about my looks as well-- I think most if not all people do. I see it as a very basic issue that doesn't really require a lot of analysis. Thich Nhat Hanh says we should "water the good seeds within us" and cease to water the bad. Staring into the mirror waters bad seeds in me-- seeds of insecurity, vanity, egotism. However, I see the action of avoiding mirrors as a basically neutral action (as opposed to a directly beneficial action) that makes it easier then to find something to help me to water the good seeds of compassion, kindness, wisdom, etc.
    I'm going to try this! I spend too much time criticizing my looks in front of the mirror. I have nothing nice to say to my face right now.

How long have you been doing this? What changes has it brought internally and externally?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    My Mum used to say, "What does it matter? Whose looking at you anyway!"
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Hope on a sun bed sessions in these help take care of your skin, Clean the body regularly, Drink plenty of water, Buy some make up(man-up)even. There isnt a situation that cant be rememdied eventually this body shall fall to peices but untill then it is best to take care of it for ones own mental and physical well being. :)
  • I'm going to try this! I spend too much time criticizing my looks in front of the mirror. I have nothing nice to say to my face right now.

How long have you been doing this? What changes has it brought internally and externally?
    The only real difference is that I'm less "me-centered". I'm not constantly wondering how I look, despite the fact that I'm somewhat aware of it. I do not have the same level of insecurity and self-obsession that I once did. I have more time to examine my thoughts and interact with the world in a meaningful way. (Somehow, lately, this has meant listening to the troubles of others and helping in any way that I can.) I admit, I am slightly repelled by people and media that represent to me a "shallow" outlook on life, but this is something I think may pass in time, like all other sensations.
    In western culture, we are taught that we need to achieve a certain level of physical perfection, to the exclusion of many other things. The fullness of life is untouchable when one is focused on oneself, particularly this meaningless physical facade we show to the world.
    I am at a place in my life in which contemplation and compassion are more important to me than physical perfection. This coincides with changes in the brain that occur in the early 20's. I am under the impression that you are in your teens, so let me know if I'm wrong. At any rate, if you are a teenager, you're bound to be overtly aware of your looks-- that's just the nature of adolescence. Just try to avoid scrutinizing yourself in the mirror, and don't strive for any particular outcome of this experiment.

Good luck!
  • A lot of my social anxiety stems from this and 'this' all stems from the media which stems from capatolism. You have to look this way to achieve good things or to be recognized as a decent person. All you have to do is turn on your TV or read a mindless magazine to be aware of that. The people at the top, they have been targetting people through advertising for decades (I have studied graphic design for 5 years in total) and I could go on and on about how many different ways they do it, but it leaves a lot of people insecure, some a little insecure and some vastly insecure.

I have tried personally to sto obsessing over my looks and understand their is no permanent self, which has helped slightly, compassion as you stated does start to show it's effectivness on you and those around you. But I am sad to say, the way the world is going, more greed will arise, more ideologies and more suffering.
  • Too much "I" and "Me". Think "Big Mind" instaed of "Small Mind".
  • Don't worry - time will sort that out. It always does ;)
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Is it the reflection of the face that changes the mood? Or is it the mood that changes the reflection of the face? We make ugly face and decent face in our minds.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The Buddhist course of action would be to do meditation and practice letting go of "insecurities" etc, etc.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I wonder if you're spending time imagining what other people will think of your looks. Buddha taught that the way our minds respond to situations is based off karma and projections and so forth. So, if a person sees you as beautiful, it is because of their own karma. If a person sees you as ugly, it is because of their own karma. There is nothing much you can do with another person's karma.

On a relationship side, if that's your intent, a partner with an open heart and awake view will see you as you, total picture. Letting go of the self critical thoughts and cultivating an authentic confidence is much better time spent. Consider saying to the critical thoughts "There is no way that you could know what other people see." See how the critical thoughts are only a baggage, without purpose, and only have a momentum to their arising.

Your "looks" will fade as you grow older anyway, so its better to spend your time working on qualities that are important for the liberation of your mind and the minds of others. Said differently, no matter what your face and body look like, the qualities that are important to cultivate are at your fingertips, in the other mirror.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Aim for looking your best, but at the same time be mindful of balance. Balance out looking good, and being able to accept that you don't need to look your best all the time. Sometimes I go to the gym in glasses (which I hate wearing). Most the guys at the gym would never realize how good I look when I'm not there. When they run into me dressed up they all do triple takes. It's like a Clark Kent to Superman transformation.

So the point is aim to look your best when you feel like it, but it doesn't have to be all the time. When you look better you'll feel better. So moderate it and do so accordingly.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    If we could only see ourselves through blind eyes, we would see ourselves as we really are. What is this image before me anyway? Who does it belong to?
  • @pain - it might be worth asking yourself this - if you look in the mirror and feel good about the face you see one day and then look into the mirror and feel crappy about it the next day, is this a reflection of a change in your face or a change in the way you see it? Because seriously, unless you've sprouted a mass of pimples overnight, not much is going to have changed.
  • Usually those who practice do some Contemplation on corpse *smile*

Attached you find "Teaching Dhamma by Pitures" by Ven Buddhadasa, which has a some explainings to bodily attachments.
  • Usually those who practice do some Contemplation on corpse *smile*
    'Usually'?

• Yes! *smile*
  • I guess I'm an unusual Buddhist, then.
  • Those who practice, don't know what Buddhists usually do.

Maybe Buddhists are usually also deeply attached to their body... *smile* maybe it a general "...ist" problem.
    edited October 2011

Why do I not bother with what I look like? Because it doesn't matter to me. Is it important? Does it matter at all, really? I'm not out to impress anyone, and I certainly don't care what people think of me if they are basing their opinions solely on my looks. Your actions will resonate louder and longer than your looks. One day you will die and what you looked like won't matter - but what you have done will matter.

This is why body-builders, athletes, and people who dedicate their entire lives to being the epitome of fit and sexiness don't make any sense to me. -shrug- Oh well. Different strokes for different folks.
  • *smile* well there is also the other extreme of crunch and shamelessness or to cause a sensation with mad or strange look like the "I am poor and don't feel good, help me" - and the "Look what I give up for others"- intention.

I guess the intention is important and to reflect about it.
  • Well, of course, your attachment to your physical appearance is causing you suffering. If you could systematically cultivate a mind that is not concerned with your physical appearance, then your life you become easier, you would let go of a lot of stress, and because of that, you would probably even become better looking.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    i'm not really sure how to answer this question. i suppose it's important to look good to a reasonable degree, but don't hold yourself to an impossible standard.

i like what prettyhowtown said about trying to see the positive instead of focusing on the negative. i also like what aMatt asked about whether you're spending time wondering what others think of you. i think these are the best answers here. when you look in the mirror, don't go instantly to what you view as an imperfection and also remember, other people aren't as concerned with you as you are concerned with yourself.

as for me, i make more money at my job when i look "pretty" i struggle with this because i wish i could be recognized for just my skills(sometimes i am), not a pretty face. i guess i'm sort of in the middle as far as effort. i wish it wasn't true, but i'm not going to wear skirts and shorts like some coworkers to show off my legs, i just wear my uniform with normal jeans and chucks. i wish that attraction wasn't such an important aspect of my job, but i cannot deny that i enjoy the fruits of it as well. but as a result of what i would say is 'negative' attention because of it, every once and a while i get disgusted and dress down, lol. being attractive isn't always all it's cracked up to be. you can get your foot in the door with it, but then once you're there, they don't take you seriously. or maybe i should say, you just find they had ulterior motives. this pretty much sums up my experience anyways.

@pain can i ask what your future plans are that you reference in your post?
  • There are two aspects of right intention:

* not harming one self (like Tikal2012 said already - pleasure is subtitle or later upcoming suffering)
    * not harming others

If we can take care of both we are perfect. Its good to start to walk with one feet. Here two stories which might help to one missing but important part:

Stealing Beauty

There was a beautiful princess from the Wei dynasty who liked to dress up fancy. She had an embroidered gown with feather on it. The sparkling shine made her look like a fairy. One day, the king saw her in this dress and spoke to her in a serious tone: “Take off this gown right now and never wear anything with a feather.” The princess laughed and replied: “How many feathers do we need for a dress?” The king said: “You are the princess of the country. I am afraid that the royal families will all take after your example. Even more, the common people will do the same as well. The merchants will do anything they can to catch birds for the feathers as long as there is money to be made. If so, the countless lives would be taken because of you. The sin would be unimaginable.

Treasure Life

Escape from a mundane place.
    Look down on killing even more.
    Make a shirt from the fibers of lotus.
    The soft feeling on my skin is the same.
    Free the silkworms and free my sin.
    Pity them because each of them is a living being.

from Protection for Living beings - Feng Zi Kai in honor of the arts of Master Hong Yi
  • @pain can i ask what your future plans are that you reference in your post?
    I just wanted to look "attractive" which would aid me in being successful in business (studies show that attractive people do make more money). Also, hopefully find a companion in the future. I know I don't want people to only accept solely based on my looks, but I don't want my lack of looks to become an obstacle.
    I just wanted to look "attractive" which would aid me in being successful in business (studies show that attractive people do make more money). Also, hopefully find a companion in the future. I know I don't want people to only accept solely based on my looks, but I don't want my lack of looks to become an obstacle.
    Lucky me that I found an attractive girl who doesn't mind an ugly guy.
  • maybe the middle way would be to try to look your best, but not to keep worrying about it
  • I just wanted to look "attractive" which would aid me in being successful in business (studies show that attractive people do make more money). Also, hopefully find a companion in the future. I know I don't want people to only accept solely based on my looks, but I don't want my lack of looks to become an obstacle.
    teach me your way master
    edited October 2011
    teach me your way master
    Step 1: Make a friend with a guy who is a real jerk.
    Step 2: Wait until he gets a girlfriend.
    Step 3: Befriend the girlfriend.
    Step 4: Become extremely good friends with the girlfriend (flirt and such).
    Step 5: Wait for the girlfriend to get fed up with the jerk boyfriend.
    Step 6: Go in for the kill.

:) Worked for me a couple of times.

Possible step 7: Repeat steps 1-7 if the girl turns out to not be 'the one.'
  • I check to make sure I'm not 'too' rough looking (ie no boogers, spinach stuck in teeth and hair not like stephen king's 'IT' clown) and I'm good to go.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Right now, I look like a bag of doo-doos. I have a severe cold, my face is puffy, I'm croaking like a frog and wheezing like a squeaky chair, I feel bloated, bunged up, teary-eyed, sniffly and basically all-round crap.

My husband tells me I look and am beautiful.

He also tells me that he likes growing old with me, because even if I become a wizened old crone, my temperament is as beautiful as ever, and more so with each passing day.
    Looks, fade.
    Character blossoms.
  • What if he would told you, that you are already ugly? *smile*
  • Being concerned about your physical appearance is a result of being attached to the ego, and perhaps being so attached that you believe that your physical appearance is YOU. That it somehow decides your position amongst other people, friends, workplaces, ect.

The truth is, you are going to grow old and ugly.. and then you will DIE. You'll be dead, and your body will begin its downward spiral of decaying ugliness, until it is no more to be seen.

So, as somebody mentioned above, why care about something that is bound to become uglier and uglier and then cease to exist? If you care about your looks, you will be chasing them, and chasing them, as you get older and as your body changes. It is an endless cycle. You will find yourself dreading over your 'ugliness' every day.

Although this is true, it is still difficult for not only you, but myself, and practically everyone, to some degree. So we have to somehow not care.. and that is the difficult part. You and I have been conditioned within our society. We have been programmed.. brainwashed.. our minds have become deluded by the ignorance of the people and things before us and all around us. You have become under the illusion that your physical appearance has to be a certain way. You believe that there is some inherent beauty, and although there are trends of style and beauty.. beauty is not inherent within anything. It is a matter of once own perception.

So what I am saying is that you are dressing up and altering your appearance, according to what everyone else wants. As their opinion changes on beauty and 'coolness', so does your style or way of dressing, being, talking, walking, and the list can go on.

We literally ACT so much in the name of others. However, it isn't FOR others, it is ultimately for yourself, as you are looking for ACCEPTANCE and positive responses.

Your looks are impermanent and fleeting.. and always remember when you care about anything too much...

You are going to DIE. Fall over, dead.

You appearance is so fragile. You could get in a car accident and your face could be melted together and you may look terrifying for the rest of your life. Then, at that point, you would realize how impermanent your physical appearance is and how it ultimately does not matter. How it does not decide anything for your life, unless YOU allow it to decide your life. It only matters to the ignorant, because only the ignorant would judge YOU for your BODY.

So what are you looking for? Ask yourself why you truly care about your looks. What changes when you appear to someone looking 'ugly'? Do they dislike you? If so, then poop on them! YOU are a beautiful person. YOU are profound and wise and have the potential to do anything! Your precious eyes and nose and chin and arms and legs and chest and feet. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL and SO SO fortunate to have a functioning, breathing body. So your practice to overcome this would be to examine your bodies TRUE nature. How it is always beautiful. How beauty is a matter of ONES own perception. How it isn't a deciding factor in anything. Meditate on its impermanence and just DO NOT CARE. Go even a day, or maybe a week without caring. No makeup, no jewelry, just alllll naatuuraalll. :) THAT is beauty. And just like an addiction to anything else, you will realize its silliness and you will start to realize that it actually doesn't matter!! :D

YOU are beautiful, always.

• Naturally all things are ugly. I guess the struggle comes from wanting to be something what is not possible so we to desire to create and keep it alive.

Maybe its good to see the beauty like this, knowing that we are ugly and subject to decay is a good "waste gate" if things growing worse.

See it like:

The Broken Glass

You may say, "Don't break my glass!" But you can't prevent something breakable from breaking. If it doesn't break now, it'll break later on. If you don't break it, someone else will. If someone else doesn't break it, one of the chickens will! The Buddha says to accept this. He penetrated all the way to seeing that this glass is already broken. This glass that isn't broken, he has us know as already broken. Whenever you pick up the glass, put water in it, drink from it, and put it down, he tells you to see that it's already broken. Understand? The Buddha's understanding was like this. He saw the broken glass in the unbroken one. Whenever its conditions run out, it'll break. Develop this attitude. Use the glass; look after it. Then one day it slips out of your hand: "Smash!" No problem. Why no problem? Because you saw it as broken before it broke. See?

But usually people say, "I've taken such good care of this glass. Don't ever let it break." Later on the dog breaks it, and you hate the dog. If your child breaks it, you hate him, too. You hate whoever breaks it — because you've dammed yourself up so that the water can't flow. You've made a dam without a spillway. The only thing the dam can do is burst, right? When you make a dam, you have to make a spillway, too. When the water rises up to a certain level, it can flow off safely to the side. When it's full to the brim, it can flow out the spillway. You need to have a spillway like this. Seeing inconstancy is the Buddha's spillway. When you see things this way, you can be at peace. That's the practice of the Dhamma.

"In Simple Terms: 108 Dhamma Similes", by Ajahn Chah, translated from the Thai by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 4 April 2011, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/chah/insimpleterms.html . Retrieved on 19 October 2011.

• Thank you for your kind words and wisdom.

I tried to not to look at myself in the mirror too much. I think it did me good. I wasn't as obsessed about how I looked, although I kept hearing that nagging voice about how I'm not attractive and so on.

Everyday is a battle, it seems.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2011
    If you look at every day that way, you're going to lose.
    Every day is a refreshing challenge to the attachments and old ideas we cling to.

I tried to not to look at myself in the mirror too much. I think it did me good. I wasn't as obsessed about how I looked, although I kept hearing that nagging voice about how I'm not attractive and so on.

It gets easier over time. One day of not looking in the mirror probably won't help you release your attachment totally.

I have developed the habit of asking myself "is this thought I'm having helpful or harmful?" If it's anything but helpful, I tell myself to "please be quiet" and move on to something else.

Actually that is the problem. We tend to look in the mirror if we like to look into the mirror and we don't like to look into the mirror if we don't like. So one way is to look permanent in the mirror so that one sees the truth or one never looks into the mirror to get gid of it in this way.

The idea of looking all the time into the mirror is for sure a very safe way. All times means also when we are angry, hurt, sad, crazy, confused, ugly...
    But just look into it, no need to want it to change, it disappears by it self in the same way it arises. *smile*

@Hanzze, you do know this :) Is available, don't you?
    edited October 2011
    @Hanzze, you do know this :) Is available, don't you?
    I was thinking the same exact thing. Although, if there is a smile at the end of EVERY post, I'll be constantly reminded of Dhamma Dhatu and how he always came off as passive-aggressive with the fake smile...
  • If things grow out as habits, and easy to attain it can happen that it grows out to "passive-aggressive with the fake smile".
    So don't see it as an expression that should be a advertising, but just like a mantra (or reminder) for my self *smile*

So while I write "*smile*" I have plenty of time to reflect on my emotions and if they are connected with the right intention. So just think: :screwy:
  • *smile*
  • If things grow out as habits, and easy to attain it can happen that it grows out to "passive-aggressive with the fake smile".
    What does this sentence mean?
    *smile*
    By devoting a whole new post to this, when people have already picked you up on it, you are actually just being aggravating now.

• Well maybe I am attached to my look. How horrible if one thinks I would not smile. *smile*

Its good to just observe what arises and how it also disappears again, if we just observe it. Like the body or aggravate, all comes and goes.