Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Love Thy Neighbor

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Today
American Atheists sued New York for publicly endorsing Christianity (they funded the World Trade Center memorial in which a Christian crucifix was prominently displayed). These are a few responses from people.

http://i.imgur.com/4Tj9z.jpg

Isn't it wonderful that we can finally have civil conversations with each other and actually begin to love thy neighbor? Comments? :)

...Oh, wait, that isn't the case? Oh well.

Comments

• What?! Separation of church and state????????? :banghead:
  • Religion is explosive material.

I suppose the key is that religion can give our anger and hate an outlet and grant it divine approval.

• I think bottom left guy is trollin!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2011
    As a group of terrorists purporting to represent the views of a specific (theistic) religion, were responsible for the 11/9 tragedy, it's hardly a surprise that members purporting to represent the views from yet another specific (theistic) religion are feeling equally murderous.
    One God, one humanity.
    kind of warms the cockles of your heart, don't it?

Say your prayers and pass the pistol....
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    its kind of a kicker the way those sorts think of athiests. like athiests chose to be a religion called athiest and they're tenant is to be so annoying it makes it look like god failed.
  • The conditioning and views of these people are scary. If they truly believe in an almighty God why do they think this all powerful God would need mere mortals to defend him? why do they not have empathy for the non believers? If they are correct then surly God created the atheists and gave them free will. Thousands of years of killing each other has seemingly taught mankind very little.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yeah, but hang on guys.... Look ...They're "Fox News viewers"..... what does that tell you...? I mean, Fox has a pretty sound, dignified, well-grounded and strait-laced reputation, hasn't it?

(Not)?
  • i'm still not so sure muslims were behind 9/11. evidence points to it being an inside job to justify invading iraq.
    All conspiracy-theory posts should find another thread to vent in as they take the subject off-topic. Further posts regarding conspiracy theories (being off-topic) will be deleted.

Thank you.
    Yeah, I just posted on FB a good quote from Bill Oreilly.

"As a soldier we know we can't kill all the Muslims so it's our duty to win the hearts and minds of as many good moderate Muslims as we can."

I don't know whether whether to laugh or cry about this stuff

"I love Jesus, and the cross and if you don't, I hope someone rapes you!!"

ahaha laugh really hard
  • lol, I knew somebody would bring that up, and I also knew it would be shot down pretty quick as well.

But anyway, going back to the original topic, WOAH! That is quite shocking to read to be honest, but after a few logical thoughts you can see why people would resort to such comments.
    Firstly feelings will still be raw after what happened on 9/11, which does not make any such comments just. Add that to the fact people are a lot more open when they make comments on the internet as it is pretty faceless and you are likely to get people doing such things.

I am sure however that the majority of christians would not make such comments, or shall I say I would like to think so. If everybody followed the bibles words to the book so to speak, then they would not think in that way at all. But hey, we are all humans and far from perfect. When people find a religious meaning to their life, often they will be quick to start shouting it from a rooftop, or defend it with furiousity.
    When I started to understand buddhism more and more, I actually grew to accept other religions more than I ever did being atheist. Religion for the most part is very much a positive thing in itself, but people often are the ones who taint religion, religion on it's own does not really have much fault.
    admit it noone understands exept them and god unfortunately for both
    if there be!
    Yes, but there's a disproportionate amount of hatred there. There'a one lone comment of dissent, but every other comment is dripping with hatred, extreme view and venom.

It's not a good profile of what I'm sure most Christians would say.
    But who needs good copy? It rarely sells....

And I would say, that in all probability, not every person who died in the twin towers incident, was Christian, or even believed in God at all..So maybe it's more of an insult towards them, than anything - or anyone else..... But there.
    If I had died in there, on that day, I wouldn't really care right now, one way or the other....
  • i apologize. next time i just won't comment if i don't agree with the premise.
    by all means comment, whether you agree with the premise or not. Just don't take it off topic.

simple.
  • i apologize. next time i just won't comment if i don't agree with the premise.
    It's best to remain non-judgemental.
  • Yes, but there's a disproportionate amount of hatred there. There'a one lone comment of dissent, but every other comment is dripping with hatred, extreme view and venom.

It's not a good profile of what I'm sure most Christians would say.
    Well said. When we encounter ignorance and hatred in our environment, we have the opportunity to build our equanimity and compassion. It used to be a big problem for me, where I would hate the haters. Those folks benefit more from our love and understanding, rather than condemnation. :)
  • octinomosoctinomos Explorer
    edited November 2011

Well said. When we encounter ignorance and hatred in our environment, we have the opportunity to build our equanimity and compassion. It used to be a big problem for me, where I would hate the haters. Those folks benefit more from our love and understanding, rather than condemnation. :)
    does that only apply to the fox viewers but not to the islamic haters? maybe a little love there also might change their way of thinking...they are part of the human family no matter what evil action they did. not condoning it, but we've all done things we would take back if we could...
  • No @octinomos I believe it also applies to the far left haters and the MSNBC haters... hate is hate, and is present on all political fronts, left and right. It's just harder to recognize when it is representing your views.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    No @octinomos I believe it also applies to the far left haters and the MSNBC haters... hate is hate, and is present on all political fronts, left and right. It's just harder to recognize when it is representing your views.
    I rarely hear any liberals saying that conservatives should be brutally tortured and murdered to death.
  • @mindgate I am not familiar with that quote, but the left are absolutely just as hateful as the right, and I can also pull out numerous examples... it's a human thing, and the political stance does not make anyone exempt... the political blinders and biases just makes one side more righteous than the other, depending on where your standing.
    edited November 2011
    I'd love to see some examples of hatred coming from the left that is equal to the hatred that I posted in the OP. As I've said, I don't ever really recall many liberals saying a republican should be shot and killed, or tortured, or raped, or anything like that.
  • Liberal/conservative, republican/monarchist, believer/non-believer. The joy I have found in my own practice is that all these apparent distinctions, and their attendant emotional turmoils, melt like the dew under the sun of compassion.
  • Here are a few... the difference is that the validity of your examples are questionable because there are no sources. People tend to be more rude and over-the-top when their true identities are hidden. But here are some public left figures. Now try to find such hateful stuff from public figures on the right... you may be able to, but that is also my point.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/01/ex-rep-paul-kanjorski-d-pa-fla-gov-rick-scott-they-ought-put-him-

"A spoiled child (Bush) is telling us our Social Security isn’t safe anymore, so he is going to fix it for us. Well, here’s your answer, you ungrateful whelp: [audio sound of 4 gunshots being fired.] Just try it, you little b*stard. [audio of gun being cocked]." — A "humor bit" from the Randi Rhodes Show

"..And then there’s Rumsfeld who said of Iraq ‘We have our good days and our bad days.’ We should put this S.O.B. up against a wall and say ‘This is one of our bad days’ and pull the trigger." — From a fundraising ad put out by the St. Petersburg Democratic Club

"I want to go up to the closest white person and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him, just for my mental health" — New York city councilman Charles Barron

"I believe in ecoterrorism." — James Cameron

"…In an ideal world, American consumers could be convinced to do the right thing through an appeal to logic with public service messages like the ‘What Would Jesus Drive?’ TV campaign, but the kind of people who would buy a car that increases the risk to other motorists in an accident can’t be reasoned with. They’re selfish and stupid. It’s unfortunate that drivers must worry that their SUVs are being targeted by insulting stickers and Molotov cocktails, but one thing’s for sure: It couldn’t be happening to a more deserving group of people." — Ted Rall winks at ecoterrorism

"F*** God D*mned Joe the God D*mned Motherf*cking plumber! I want Motherf*cking Joe the plumber dead." — Liberal talk show host Charles Karel Bouley on the air.

"Republicans don’t believe in the imagination, partly because so few of them have one, but mostly because it gets in the way of their chosen work, which is to destroy the human race and the planet. Human beings, who have imaginations, can see a recipe for disaster in the making; Republicans, whose goal in life is to profit from disaster and who don’t give a hoot about human beings, either can’t or won’t. Which is why I personally think they should be exterminated before they cause any more harm." — The Village Voice’s Michael Feingold, in a theater review of all places

(Rush Limbaugh)" just wants the country to fail. To me that’s treason. He’s not saying anything different than what Osama Bin Laden is saying. You might want to look into this, sir, because I think Rush Limbaugh was the 20th hijacker but he was just so strung out on Oxycontin he missed his flight. … Rush Limbaugh, I hope the country fails, I hope his kidneys fail, how about that?" — Wanda Sykes

"O&A – ‘Condoleezza Rice’"

Charlie – "I’d love to f— that b*tch dude" (laughter)

Charlie – "She’s the F—in man"

O&A – "yeah"

Charlie – "I’d F…that b*tch…."

O&A – "I just imagine the horror in Condoleezza Rice’s face…."

- "(laughter) ….. as she realizes what’s going on"

- "…as you were just holding her down and F’n her."

Charlie – "punch her all the F’n face, shut the F— up b*tch"

O&A – "that’s exactly what I meant" (laughter in background)

Charlie – "you know F— it …. and George Bush wife? I’d F— that b*tch to death" — "Shock Jocks" Opie & Anthony talk rape & violence with their guest "Homeless Charlie."

"Drudge? Aw, Drudge, somebody ought to wrap a strong Republican entrail around his neck and hoist him up about six feet in the air and watch him bounce." — Liberal radio host, Mike Malloy

"I know how the ‘tea party’ people feel, the anger, venom and bile that many of them showed during the recent House vote on health-care reform. I know because I want to spit on them, take one of their ‘Obama Plan White Slavery’ signs and knock every racist and homophobic tooth out of their Cro-Magnon heads." — The Washington Post’s Courtland Milloy

Well cited, Telly.
    Well that's nice.

It's a most heartening thing to see Americans from all sides citing free speech as an excuse for being loudmouthed, uncouth, indecent, disgusting and frankly completely deplorable specimens of humanity.
    They cry "We have a democratic right to Free speech!" and seem to get away with verbal murder.
    Land of the brave and home of the free, indeed.
    When did free speech equal "any idiot can open his mouth and absolve himself of all repsonsibility for whacko ideas that come out of it, because of the First Amendment".....?

I'm sure it was never written or intended in this way.
  • edited November 2011
    The Randi Rhodes Show and similar liberal radio talk shows were started in response to years of extreme radio talk shows from the Republican side. Liberals finally decided two can play the game. That doesn't make it right. I'd like to see all of it disappear. I'm just explaining the history of it. How sad and samsaric!
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I am still reeling from the comments in the OP. I've rarely encountered people in real life who are that hateful. That they consider themselves Christians shows that they've lost sight of Christ's basic teachings.
    I'm glad that I don't live anywhere near middle America or wherever these people are.....
  • I am still reeling from the comments in the OP. I've rarely encountered people in real life who are that hateful. That they consider themselves Christians shows that they've lost sight of Christ's basic teachings.
    I'm glad that I don't live anywhere near middle America or wherever these people are.....
    You shouldn't let it rile you up... If it's not valid, then someone created it to bother you... If it is valid, then someone said it to bother you. If it bothers you, then you just validated their purpose for saying it.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Nobody said it to bother me. They don't even know who I am. They said it because they believe it. I was reeling because I rarely hear people talk like that.
  • Nobody said it to bother me. They don't even know who I am. They said it because they believe it.
    I would imagine that if those people knew their comments got you reeling, they would probably be thinking "ah good, because some of the comments I heard from the other side really pissed me off too"

I think of political discussions like football fans... people get so wrapped up in defending their side/team that they feel they have to step up their talk if they hear the other side talking crap... after the stepping up in verbal attacks from both sides, you soon have some pretty ugly talk going on. Not that they mean that their team is actually going to decapitate the opposing quarterback, but they almost had to say it because the other side took them there with their ugly attacks.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited November 2011
    there is something about human nature that we just love to have enemies. we love to belong and we love to have "our side" vs. "your side"... it's always US vs. THEM, and if it wasn't before... we will make it so. why else would sports events be so ungodly important to so many people? why else would something as silly as a soccer game cause people to riot and hurt each other? i think we must be wired somehow that given the opportunity, we see "ENEMY" instead of a sister or brother like we should.

i never understood how people could be so ignorant before, but once i learned about confirmation bias, it began to make a lot more sense. people don't typically look for an objective view... we all look to support our already established conclusions and our minds carefully filter the information to feed our previously held assumptions.

when you add religion in the mix, it just gets that much worse. many of those comments involve crucifixion because the connection in their minds is what non-believers did to their savior. to them, atheists have now become the same people who nailed jesus on the cross and therefore, they want retaliation because this was a very real event in their minds with a strong emotional connection. you could almost say it was a trigger.
  • If you re-read the story with which Jesus illustrated this instruction, you will notice that he is speaking, not about the person we know or even like, but about the stranger, the enemy. Samaritans were the sworn enemies of Judaeans. Thus, today, an Al Quaeda soldier rescues a Westerner or a Nazi rescues a Jew.