Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discussion often inflate the ego.

edited November 2011 in Philosophy
Discussion is very problematic, It is a rare person that does not care about criticism, humans generally want to be right want to tell other people how it is! The ego deflates badly when it feels under attack it wants to get it own back, it feels a 'mild' hatred to it assailant . While the apparent victors ego expands with joy I have won! I have won!. I am being melodramatic off course but you might know what i mean from past experiences. Let us all then be extra vigilant and mindful of communicating in a quality way. I must say I have seen some great examples on here!

How do you make sure (or at least try) you are speaking from a more detached but caring place? :)

Comments

• novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I believe that discussion only inflates the ego if your intent is to win, rather than to learn.

If your intent is to learn, then it doesn't matter whether or you're right or wrong; what matters is that you gained from the experience, and so did anyone who took part in or observed the discussion.

To answer your question, I make sure that I know "why" that I want to discuss whatever the topic may be (including this very post) so that when or if I am conflicted, contrasted, or even proven wrong, I walk away from the conversation 1% wiser than I was before I began it.

And if I am not proven wrong, at least then I could say that I can be more confident in my logic and the person who I disproved is now 1% wiser.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2011
    In one of Luang Pu's branch meditation monasteries there lived a group of five or six monks who wanted to be especially strict in their practice, so they made a vow not to talk throughout the Rains Retreat. In other words, no word would come out of their mouths except for the daily chanting and the bi-weekly Patimokkha chant. After the end of the Rains they came to pay their respects to Luang Pu and told him of their strict practice: In addition to their other duties, they were also able to stop speaking for the entire Rains.

Luang Pu smiled a bit and said,

"That's pretty good. When there's no speaking, then no faults are committed by way of speech. But when you say that you stopped speaking, that simply can't be. Only the noble ones who enter the refined attainment of cessation, where feeling and perception stop, are able to stop speaking. Aside from them, everyone's speaking all day and all night long. And especially those who vow not to speak: They talk more than anyone else, simply that they don't make a sound that others can hear."

- Ajahn Dune

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/dune/giftsheleft.html
  • I suppose focusing on the heart first and foremost is key. I think from there the wisdom can flow outwards. It isn't the wisdom found in words but from communion.

I've been finding that feeling how the other person feels. Trying to feel and understand where they are coming from. This really helps with putting things into perspective.

It is very easy to be inflated with self cherishing and aversion, especially when we hold tightly onto the values and beliefs that help us move forward everyday. but when we place emphasis on the heart, we can learn to let go of our grip and just open to whatever comes.

not sure this helps, but it sure has helped me.
  • Discussion is pretty harmless if you take it face-value. We can always decide whether or not we want to take on the discussion or not. The problem with the ego is not just in discussions, it is in everyday life. Trying to cope with it is one thing, having a discussion about it is another task in itself. This is where meditation can provide some answers. It is more accessible, and the only ego you have to deal with is your own.
  • I remember an article about argument from the summer in the NYTimes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/15/arts/people-argue-just-to-win-scholars-assert.html?pagewanted=all

Says that we only argue to win and that reason is merely a tool to bring about that gratification of winning. Discussion and argument are quite different. Both have different intents. I believe with discussion, there is a search for meaning and knowledge. In argument, there is a battle of knowledge.
  • How do you make sure (or at least try) you are speaking from a more detached but caring place? :)
    Pay attention. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    We are gifted with some great members. :)
  • My only concern with such great ideas being exchanged is that all who may answer...already know their answers. We all pretty much said the same things, but in our own words.

This leads me to believe that we're all enlightened to a degree; that's part of the reason why we searched, and applied for membership to this forum in the first place.

This is merely one website; what I'm more concerned about is how can we open our doors, and/or spread the messages of what we know and learn to those who don't know about this forum? How can we prevent being a closed community and contribute our thoughts and ideas not only to the members of this website, but to everyone in the world in general? People are sometimes put off by the word "Buddhism" because they don't know enough about it to understand it, and it's only natural for we humans to fear what we don't understand. But true knowledge is universal; whether it flies under the flag of "Buddhist" or "Christian" or "Hindu" or any other creed, religion, or philosophy for that matter, is irrelevant.

How can we take all of the wisdom or morality shared here, strip it of its "Buddhist" title so that less people fear it, and help people grow from what we write here?
  • when hungry, i eat.
    when another is hungry, i feed them.

smile and keep your heart and mind open.

what else is there to do? when conditions are ripe, we help and then we move on.
  • It's very good for my ego when I indulge in a discussion and find out I'm wrong!

• when another is hungry, i feed them.
    Why feed them when you can teach them to fish?
  • feed them, then teach them to fish. but first feed them.

we work with the immediate, then we can work on other things.

the whole world is occupied with the top down mentality. the macro to micro. thinking that policy, politics, and philosophy will save us all.

in actuality it is merely the open heart with clear seeing that allows us to function moment to moment. when we see an itch, we itch. when we are burning, we move our hands from the fire.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited November 2011
    For me, I spend effort detaching from ideas through meditative and mindful activities. As the ideas are no longer us... we are at best a bucket that carries them for a moment or two... there is nothing to inflate the ego. If someone connects with what is said and can learn from it, huzzah! The world has become clearer. If not, try again next time it arises.

I think the more we lay our self bare in the mirror and to our teachers, the less our ignorances and mistakes impact our buoyancy. Its often when we're afraid of who we are and what we've done that stress arises from compliments or criticisms.

Either stubbing a toe or having a cookie... great, there it was. Here and now, though, there are more things to do, breaths to breathe, thoughts to abandon, questions to answer, people to love. Who has time to cling?!? :)
  • The Buddha was a warrior noble, a kshatriya, by birth and, like Gandhi, was definitely aiming at victory, but by non-argument – as he states in the opening passages of the Madhupindika Sutta, when challenged by a cocky brahmin who is looking for a doctrinal fight: “I proclaim such a teaching that advocates not quarreling with anyone in the world” (M 18.4). At this his hapless antagonist, Dandapani, could only shake his head, wag his tongue, pucker his brow and walk off. It is through the refusal of the Buddha to argue with Dandapani, or fight Mara on his own terms that they are defeated.

Bhikkhus, I do not dispute with the world, it is the world that disputes with me. A speaker of Dhamma does not dispute with anyone in the world.
    S 22.94

Wanting what’s good, without stop:
    That’s the cause of suffering.
    It’s a great fault: the strong fear of bad.
    ‘Good’ & ‘bad’ are poisons to the mind,
    like foods that enflame a high fever.
    The Dhamma isn’t clear
    because of our basic desire for good.
    Desire for good, when it’s great,
    drags the mind into turbulent thought
    until the mind gets inflated with evil,
    and all its defilements proliferate.
    The greater the error, the more they flourish,
    taking one further & further away
    from the genuine Dhamma

Ajahn Mun
  • aMatt / pegembara this makes me smile for at the end of the day there really is nothing to say, nothing even to be except be the fullness of nothingness. (how words are so heavy and cumbersome when hinting at the formless. What an irony then humans often find their self concerned with positions of right and wrong.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It's the way it has been for millennia. Hence the need for a Judicial system....

• You said it man!
  • Dont people eventually grow out of ego discussions?? But I still always watch critsicm.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I am with the OP here totally. Well, I guess you could have a duscussion without having a huge ego, although it is a rare find. I use to always try and make my point, to try and defend my opinion and to get into arguments, but I have come to realize that it is pretty pointless even if you think/know you are right. It just causes negativity for both parties. If you can discuss a matter and respect each others point of view without any harsh words or thoughts of I have lost or I have won, then you are both winners :)
  • Love it T-Tom ...... Wednesday...Yes some people do ... Frederica I personally find it hard to compare (judicial systems where everyone promises to tell the truth but parties are paid to build up cases to suit the outcomes they need to win) with the idea of deeper understanding that goes beyond the word. Though many years ago in Taoism there where some beautiful justice practices which i adore. (I do respect your view though) :)
  • Eh, nothing wrong with a spirited discussion and tossing around ideas, as long as one is open to other POV and does not take themselves too seriously.
  • Sure thing.... great reminder its so easy to take ourselves and our thoughts too seriously....... and besides laughter is such a fantastic portal to leave behind these earthly concerns :))))
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011
    How dare you insinuate that discussion inflates the ego! What are you some kind of jerk here just to make trouble!? :D
  • Dont people eventually grow out of ego discussions?? But I still always watch critsicm.
    No, I think he's referring to debate, in general, itself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From personal experience, when two people meet with conflicting ideas, it's only natural to want to be the one who is right. It takes a bit of maturity before one, who was socially programmed by our society, sees being wrong as a potentially good thing.

Because of the natural impulse to want to be the winner, when we do win, we tend to walk away gloating within ourselves (or even to others) because of it.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I have had this long term friend who moved to thailand with me. Before I was properly involved with buddhism, we would both find silly little discussions and end up either arguing or defending our point of view to extremes. It could have been such a trivial topic, but the under lying factor is the ego. I have since come to dilute my ego somewhat, my friend a lot less but still he has grown out of it a little. My buddhist way of thinking has sort of rubbed of on him. He was often curious about buddhism and the concepts, which sometimes in discussion even lead to ego orientated debates. The human ego IMO is responsible for most negativity in this world, it is not something easy to be rid of but something that should be observed in every day life.
  • seeker242 - brilliant loved that :) Novawolf, relate to that a lot and T-TOM you have hit the nail on the head .... for when you can observed the ego within yourself in the present moment it does not consume you...... for you throw awareness upon it. I can only speak from my experience that resonates deep with.... ( When we are too strict and fight against the ego it finds weapons to fight back because we but it under threat...and also when we resist the ego and the thoughts it produces we strengthen them on a subliminally level. I am not saying have a party and ignore your ego and the thoughts it produces and go out into the world and create mayhem :))))) It should a t- Tom suggest simply be watched for the watcher is your awaken self that diminishes your mind created self or ego created self.