Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Do You Practice Buddhism?

edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
In your daily life, how do you practice Buddhism?

In other words, how do you apply the Buddha's teachings to your daily life?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    daily life IS Buddhism.
    There is not one single instant of the day that one can dismiss the practice.
  • Christians, Muslims, atheists, Hindus, and Jews practice Buddhism then?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I practice Buddhism by being thoughtful of others, and by being supportive and helpful when people need help. Also, by mindfulness of my own actions and decisions. And I meditate. or not. I'm not as disciplined as some here, on that score.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That's not the way you posed the question.
    As this is a Buddhist forum, I presume you are asking the members, who are Buddhist.I wouldn't presume to answer for other people of other religious persuasions, now, would I?
  • What you said is similar to that of:
    My life is Buddhist practice.
    That is very vague. I was asking for more specific answers, like Dakini's. Thanks for posting anyways.
    It wasn't vague. On the contrary, it was all-encompassing and completely comprehensive.

Every waking moment is an opportunity to put the Eightfold Path into practice. The Eightfold Path pretty much encompasses everything the Buddha intends we absorb.....
    If I fail, it's not because the moment is inappropriate; it is because I am not being Mindful.
  • You start with now and go from there ;) There are three traditional methods of active study: hearing teachings, contemplating teachings, and meditation. There is also our daily life awareness which once we have meditated quite a bit we bridge the gap between life and meditation.

Remember Sano's lute. Sano was having problems making progress and he asked the buddha for help. The buddha asked him about his lute. He asked if it made a good sound when the strings were either too loose or too tight.

So it is a little bit of faith in your balance of mind to navigate between extremes. Many steps starting now. Lightly. With joy.
  • I think possibly the point Fede was trying to make in her initial post was that "practice" is not narrowly defined as "meditation", though many Buddhists seem to see it that way. So she was saying that everything we do in life is "practice". The choices we make, the way we react to people and events, everything is practice.
  • Its really very simple in theory. You learn the 8fold path and you align your actions and behaviors with the teachings.

I can recommend some books or some online talks if you like :)
  • You're new here, Bekenze, aren't you? Welcome. :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Mindfulness and compassion.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Check out books/sutras at http://www.zenguide.com
  • Mindfulness is confusing for me. How does one exactly go about being mindful?
  • notice when your mind drifts off and return ;) Its simple. it is coming home to the present.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited December 2011
    The dharma is the teacher so I try to revert back to the most original forms of the dharma which are of course the sutras. I also listen a lot to what the dalai lama has to say even though I am not a Tbuddhist.

But everyday life, my practice changes everyday as I am sure it does with most people. Sometimes it is stronger than others. I seem to be good at letting things go mentally pretty easily, material things, arguments things like that. I keep in mind that everything changes, for me this is very fundamental to be aware of in everyday life. If I come across a person who needs some help, I often will offer my help, be it carrying something, opening a door, giving a homeless person some money etc. I observe how things playout in everyday life, how this causes this to happen, how this persons actions effect my emotions, how this object influences me. I do not chant and rarely meditate. I do not know why I do not chant, I just have never tried. I do not meditate very often because I am lazy and do not have right effort or intention, that needs to change. One could ramble on for ages about their daily practice in detail, but I am afraid I may already have, so I shall stop :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    My Geshe gave us one commitment vow: "Be kind." That keeps me busy about 101% of the day (failing and failing and trying again...).

I take great comfort from Medicine Buddha practice, and find the mantra as chanted by Khenpo Pema Chopel Rinpoche lovely. I've tentatively brought it even to non-Buddhists, and without exception (so far), they were drawn to it, which I find so interesting. Maybe most just find it an inherently beautiful tune.

For everyday "detox" I find Pema Chödrön's books and talks extremely good for the soul (and funny, and practical).

For grief, illness, the times that seem hardest and darkest and saddest, Sogyal Rinpoche's "Tibetan Book of Living & Dying" has brought immense comfort. It was my intro to Tonglen, for which I am eternally grateful. I would add to that Lama Zopa Rinpoche's unfailingly cheerful and proactive instructions on helping humans and animals. His love for the wee beasties so resonates with me.

So I guess my practice is largely tantric, which seems right, since I feel very much at the mercy of events and passions and kleshas - rather than fighting them, I feel all the above teachers' instructions to "work with life as it is" to be very applicable. Of course I dream of a peaceful island where nothing affects me, but in reality (ha) I feel I'm pretty immersed in my human experience and not likely to escape soon.

The advice to "imagine yourself as [compassionate/patient/etc], and then stay in that character" appeals to me on a psychological level - it's the same advice given to Olympians, marathoners, etc - really see yourself achieving the goal. I can see it is effective, because my natural tendency is make myself miserable by imagining the worst, grumbling inwardly about things that haven't even happened yet, etc. So, doing the opposite seems like a great and practical antidote.

It's funny - it almost seems as if fears and desires easily condition us to be "negative" tantric adepts. If we're trying to "apply tantra," we aren't doing anything new at all, but just directing our naturally-creative brain in a positive direction. I don't think it's any accident at all that "sutra" means "thread," and "tantra" means "loom." I love the sutras, and consider tantra a way to work their advice through life.

But I'm struck, again and again, by the profoundly simple, solitary instruction of my Geshe, and suspect that simply striving to "be kind" contains the whole path. Now if only I could comply...

• Mindfulness is confusing for me. How does one exactly go about being mindful?
    There is mindfulness in meditation, and there is mindfulness in everyday life. Mindfulness means more to me than paying attention and being in the present (as Jeffrey said, bringing your mind back on task when it wanders). Mindfulness is about developing an outside observer, so you're observing yourself, your reactions to events, your motives for deciding on a certain course of action, your thinking process. Are your motives for deciding to do this or that selfish, or thoughtful of others? You can make adjustments when you observe yourself thinking or acting in a way that's not conforming to Buddhist values. That's what mindfulness is for.
  • Mindfulness, meditation, and practising compassion seem to be the basic Buddhist practise to me.

None of that is really 'religious' either.
  • None of that is really 'religious' either.
    I think that's the great appeal of Buddhism to Westerners.

• octinomosoctinomos Explorer
    edited December 2011
    my practice consists of visiting this forum, reading people's thoughts, sometimes check out different buddhist websites or maybe read something from nagarjuna or other masters. just keeping my mind open and becoming critical of my mindset, see it as something that can be molded and is dynamic...and using the precepts as a guide for proper conduct that's for my own good, and see it as liberating. also trying to find harmony and balance with nature.
  • You've seen the symbol of the snake around a staff (used in medicine for example) - your daily practice will be like this - the staff is the absolute truth (buddhist or otherwise) and the snake is you - you will go around and around the absolute truth of your practice many times and you may get closer and closer with every turn but you'll never become straight like the truth - at any given moment you will only be a reflection of any given point (all relative to where you look from also)...

It may help if you start with a teacher or a group or pick something in buddhism that speaks to you - try then to play with the idea in your mind and also see how you feel about it - work to marry the two (cutting out unnecessary things along the way) - then try to apply it to your daily life - for example, compassion is a good theme... see how far compassion goes for you - see how it works for you in practice and see where you can increase / decrease / let go / pick up etc... then take your experiences and let them go in meditation and see what is left... rinse and repeat...

Its a never ending journey - federica's answer is both vague and comprehensive... such is the contradiction of life... and here we hang on our little rock in the middle of everything!
  • For me, being fairly new, I do not have a teacher yet... hopefully soon, but I do meditate daily to help train my mind because I understand that this will be part of my training throughout my path.

I also try to practice being mindful in my daily activities, and to me this brings realizations about myself, such as recognizing actions that may be hurtful to others or to myself, as well as noting actions that are helpful, instead of blindly running through life unaware of my effect on others.

Trying to be mindful has changed me in several ways, some unexpected and perhaps unwelcomed yet unavoidable... for example, all my life I have been a steak and rib loving junkie, but now I have a hard time enjoying a steak when I think about the whole slaughter process involved... is all that worth it, and am I being selfish and inconsiderate in my food selection? Just one of several questions I'm dealing with as a result of being mindful.
  • Being mindful of impermanence can help you (decide or resolve) to make your loved ones happy while you and they are still together.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    My advice, go find a teacher.

The four noble truths have been likened to a complete map and a foundation and central teaching of the Buddha.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Mindfulness is confusing for me. How does one exactly go about being mindful?
    AFAIK: concentrate on what you are doing; don't multi-task; do what you are doing skilfully.

Buddhism tends to boil down to common sense - in a good way.

• I practiced Buddhism yesterday (Zen, actually) when I had to put my portable fishhouse back together after having a hole in the canvas cover patched. There were 5 sets of poles (4 poles each) that needed to be placed into sleeves on the cover, with the poles under pressure. I would get three in and while getting the fourth pole in, two would pop out. It took me almost an hour and a half to complete the job. In the past (pre-Zen practice) I would have yelled, sworn, thrown things across the room within 10 minutes. I remained very calm, don't think I had an increase in my blood pressure and got the job done without once thinking about "how awful" the process was for me. This is just one example of many things I have noticed about myself and how I handle stressful situations differently since I started sitting.
  • Just looked at the entry for today on my "Daily Enlightenment" app and it seems to fit...
    "When the task is done beforehand, then it is easy."
    Zen master Yuan-tong