Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hatha (hot) yoga... how fit do you need to be?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
I found an ad for a hatha yoga place 'the funky buddha' in my area. It's kind of expensive but I might want to try it. Has anyone done hatha yoga? How much did they charge you and how difficult is it?

Comments

• I tried it once, a new studio offered a free class. It was OK, but I don't think there is any extra benefit to the "hot" with yoga. It makes you sweat a lot.. so what? :)
    You don't have to be more fit than regular yoga.
  • How fit do you need to be for regular yoga?
  • Do you do any exercise at all?? :eek:
  • Walking meditation 20-40 minutes a day...
  • Maybe they would let you take a "trial" class first. Find out if they even offer classes for beginners. If your teacher knows you are a beginner, he/she will adjust the poses to your ability. There is no preset requirement to begin yoga!
  • If you're in decent health, and you don't have any kind of cardiac or respiratory condition, hot yoga shouldn't be a big problem. Personally I find it completely over the top, and utterly unnecessary as a way to practice yoga. A more "normal" type of yoga will do just as much (if not more) for you than hot yoga. If you have any kind of cardiac or respiratory condition at all, I'd highly recommend against it. Frankly, I think it's kind of faddish anyway, and won't be around 20 years from now.

You don't need to be in outstanding physical condition to do regular yoga. In fact, a regular practice of yoga is a great way to get *into* shape. Just don't be lured into only doing "gentle" or "restorative" yoga practice. Work your way up, but get into a strenuous regime with a good teacher (always with a good teacher!!!) and you'll be amazed at how quickly you become stronger and more flexible.
  • @Mountains and @ginab, thanks. I was interested in 'hot' not because it is hot but rather because I haven't heard of other yoga programs to compare. I think the heat might help prevent injury due to warming up the body? But I haven't heard that argued anywhere I just came up with that. I know the water loss won't achieve any weight loss.

I am 195 pounds and 5 foot 8 inches. I can probably run a quarter mile.
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited January 2012

I do not believe that Hatha Yoga and Hot Yoga are the same thing.
    If you see a class described as Hatha, it will likely be a slow-paced stretching class with some simple breathing exercises and perhaps seated meditation. This is a good place to learn basic poses, relaxation techniques, and become comfortable with Yoga.

From what I understand, Bikram Yoga is also referred to as Hot Yoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatha_yoga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikram_Yoga
  • Thanks Charirama. I looked back at the business and it is vinyasa yoga?
  • Bikram = hot

You don't need a 110 F room to warm up your body for yoga. People have been doing yoga at normal room temperature for thousands of years. Believe me, if you have a good teacher, you'll get plenty warmed up!
  • Yeah, this place is pretty expensive too. I might look elsewhere.