Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Right Speech

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited January 2012 in Philosophy
"What is right speech? Abstention from lying, slander, abuse, and gossip; this is called right speech."
SN 45:8; DN 22

One of my greatest shortcomings has to be practicing Right Speech. I spent 5 years of my life pursuing a sociology degree in university, where being critical of pretty much everything is expected. I've learned to turn that down a lot over the past year. However, with the new year, I'm trying to gossip less and slander less.

But I'm wondering about some situations that may cause contradictions, or at least mild confusion for me. Okay, say someone asks for your opinion of something - e.g. what you think of a mutual friend's new significant other - would it be Wrong Speech to give your opinion, even if it's not harmful? It is, after all, gossip. But then, what if you actually think negatively of the person, but then say that you find them agreeable - that would be lying. What would the most "right" action be? Just not saying anything?

Has anyone who sincerely practices the Eightfold Path (which I guess should be everyone here) noticed that practicing Right Speech has resulted in speaking a lot less? After all, i feel that a great deal of the topic matter that we talk about in our societies tend to be idle gossip. How has praciting Right Speech affected your life/work/etc?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Has anyone who sincerely practices the Eightfold Path (which I guess should be everyone here) noticed that practicing Right Speech has resulted in speaking a lot less? After all, i feel that a great deal of the topic matter that we talk about in our societies tend to be idle gossip. How has praciting Right Speech affected your life/work/etc?
    Well, sometimes. But what it made me do before retiring from being a principal was that I found myself thinking in advance (of a teacher observation conference, for example), and attempting to be more mindful and thoughtful about how the conversation could go, what were the pitfalls, and how best to get around them in a productive way.

• driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I answered this question before I think. I am sure that you can practice right speech, and still be successful. Just as much as you can go out and have fun without drinking etc.
    I think that we sometimes suppose that "right speech" cannot be frank speech. And there are professions where one must often be frank.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The Blessed Buddha once said:

How, Cunda, is purity of verbal action fourfold?

1: Herein, one avoids lying, abstains from false. He speaks the truth,
    is devoted to the truth, reliable, trustable, never deceiving anyone.
    Being at a meeting, among family, in society, or in the court called
    upon and asked as witness to tell what he knows, he answers, if he
    knows nothing: “I know nothing” & if he knows, he answers: “I know!”
    If he has seen nothing, he answers: “I have seen nothing” & if he has
    seen something, he answers: “I have seen this and that.” Thus he never
    deliberately speaks a lie, neither for his own advantage, nor for the
    advantage of others, nor for the sake of any trivial gain whatsoever.

2: He avoids divisive speech, spreading rumours, tale bearing, & gossip.
    What he has heard here, he does not repeat there wishing to cause
    dissension there by splitting those united. What he has heard there,
    he does not tell here so to cause conflict by splitting friends here..
    Rather he unites those who are divided; and those who are united
    he encourages. Harmony, peace, agreement & concord, gladden him.
    He delights and rejoices in Harmony. He spreads & grows Harmony!

3: He avoids harsh & aggressive language, he abstains from all scolding.
    He speaks such words that are gentle, soothing to the ear, pleasing,
    heart-touching, polite, dear, considerate, interesting & agreeable.

4: He avoids vain talk, empty & small talk, void speech and idle prattle!
    He abstains from all babble, chit-chat, tittle-tattle and evil hearsay.
    He speaks at the right time, in accordance with facts, speaks what
    is useful, speaks about the Dharma and the Discipline; his speech is
    like a precious treasure, well timed, always reasoned by arguments,
    moderated, well formulated & full of sound reason & common sense.

In this - for all - very good way, is purity of verbal action fourfold!
    http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/IV/Fourfold_Right_Speech.htm
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Kierkegaard
    That one's worth remembering....
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2012
    "What is right speech? Abstention from lying, slander, abuse, and gossip; this is called right speech."
    SN 45:8; DN 22

One of my greatest shortcomings has to be practicing Right Speech. I spent 5 years of my life pursuing a sociology degree in university, where being critical of pretty much everything is expected. I've learned to turn that down a lot over the past year. However, with the new year, I'm trying to gossip less and slander less.

But I'm wondering about some situations that may cause contradictions, or at least mild confusion for me. Okay, say someone asks for your opinion of something - e.g. what you think of a mutual friend's new significant other - would it be Wrong Speech to give your opinion, even if it's not harmful? It is, after all, gossip. But then, what if you actually think negatively of the person, but then say that you find them agreeable - that would be lying. What would the most "right" action be? Just not saying anything?

I think one of the main points of "right speech" and gossiping can be explained the the below, a teaching of the Zen 6th Patriarch, Hui Neng

He who treads the Path in earnest
    Sees not the mistakes of the world;
    If we find fault with others
    We ourselves are also in the wrong.
    When other people are in the wrong, we should ignore it,
    For it is wrong for us to find fault.
    By getting rid of this habit of fault-finding
    We cut off a source of defilement.
    When neither hatred nor love disturb our mind
    Serenely we sleep.

Gossip is essentially focusing your attention on others faults. Focusing your attention on what you don't like about other people, which is essentially the opposite of Metta and has the opposite effects. Whereas Metta is love and kindness and the opposite leads to hatred and ill will. If you think negatively of someone, the problems is really with yourself and your lack of Metta, not the other person. If you think negatively of someone else, you should look at yourself first.

In a situation that is apparently contradictory, the "right action" IMO would be the action that does not lead to the arising of ill will, hate, etc. The action that supports Metta is the right action and right speech. Each particular situation should be individually evaluated IMO. Some people think "what others don't know won't hurt them". So they feel it's ok and not harmful to gossip of other people behind their back. But it is harmful, it's harmful to yourself because it kills your own universal love and kindness. Even if you haven't cultivated this great kindness yet, it's still harmful, to yourself, because it prevents that from arising to begin with. The non-harming speech aspect not only applies to causing harm to others with your speech, it also applies to causing harm to yourself and your own internal cultivation of love and kindness.

Easily seen are others' faults, hard indeed to see are one's own. Like chaff one winnows others' faults, but one's own one hides, as a crafty fowler conceals himself by camouflage. He who sees others' faults is ever irritable--his corruptions grow. He is far from the destruction of the corruptions.

Dhammapada 252-53

• yes, I speak a lot less. ;)
    The Blessed Buddha once said:

How, Cunda, is purity of verbal action fourfold?

1: Herein, one avoids lying, abstains from false. He speaks the truth,
    is devoted to the truth, reliable, trustable, never deceiving anyone.
    Being at a meeting, among family, in society, or in the court called
    upon and asked as witness to tell what he knows, he answers, if he
    knows nothing: “I know nothing” & if he knows, he answers: “I know!”
    If he has seen nothing, he answers: “I have seen nothing” & if he has
    seen something, he answers: “I have seen this and that.” Thus he never
    deliberately speaks a lie, neither for his own advantage, nor for the
    advantage of others, nor for the sake of any trivial gain whatsoever.

2: He avoids divisive speech, spreading rumours, tale bearing, & gossip.
    What he has heard here, he does not repeat there wishing to cause
    dissension there by splitting those united. What he has heard there,
    he does not tell here so to cause conflict by splitting friends here..
    Rather he unites those who are divided; and those who are united
    he encourages. Harmony, peace, agreement & concord, gladden him.
    He delights and rejoices in Harmony. He spreads & grows Harmony!

3: He avoids harsh & aggressive language, he abstains from all scolding.
    He speaks such words that are gentle, soothing to the ear, pleasing,
    heart-touching, polite, dear, considerate, interesting & agreeable.

4: He avoids vain talk, empty & small talk, void speech and idle prattle!
    He abstains from all babble, chit-chat, tittle-tattle and evil hearsay.
    He speaks at the right time, in accordance with facts, speaks what
    is useful, speaks about the Dharma and the Discipline; his speech is
    like a precious treasure, well timed, always reasoned by arguments,
    moderated, well formulated & full of sound reason & common sense.

In this - for all - very good way, is purity of verbal action fourfold!
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." - Kierkegaard
    That's a great post! And a great reminder!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes... gladly put up my hand to that one, @vinlyn... :o
  • edited January 2012
    This issue is not so simple. Let's say you're asked your opinion of a friend's significant other, but you know that "other" is not trustworthy, or is not monogamous. The Buddha said that when speech is truthful, accurate, and potentially beneficial, but disagreeable, one should choose the right time to say it. A more obvious case is warning someone of danger. To remain silent in such cases, the Buddha felt, is wrong speech.

As always, Buddhism doesn't have simple, black-and-white answers. It's up to us to discern how to apply guidelines, from one situation to the next. Just as situations are unique, our responses must be nuanced, and tailored to the situation.
    This issue is not so simple. Let's say you're asked your opinion of a friend's significant other, but you know that "other" is not trustworthy, or is not monogamous. The Buddha said that when speech is truthful, accurate, and potentially beneficial, but disagreeable, one should choose the right time to say it.
    I would say the right time has presented itself. then is the right time to practice skilful speech....isn't it?
    A more obvious case is warning someone of danger. To remain silent in such cases, the Buddha felt, is wrong speech.
    I'm sorry, i would have thought that was obvious.... what Buddhist in their right minds would remain silent at such a point?

• "the right time" can mean, on a more day-to-day level, whether the person is in a receptive mood, and so forth.

Buddhists neglect to warn people of danger a fair amount. I'm thinking specifically of the abuse issues that arise in sanghas. In some sanghas a conspiracy of silence prevails, and whistle-blowers are shunned, told they're dividing the sangha and practicing wrong speech, etc. That's why a correct understanding of Right Speech is crucial. Many practitioners interpret it as simply never saying anything negative. That's an erroneous view.

• Well, sometimes. But what it made me do before retiring from being a principal was that I found myself thinking in advance (of a teacher observation conference, for example), and attempting to be more mindful and thoughtful about how the conversation could go, what were the pitfalls, and how best to get around them in a productive way.

I wish you had been my principal. I know I was not doing so great on classroom management my first year but I was also asking for help. It got to the point I couldn't even speak in a staff meeting because the principal was not letting me. Before I quit mid-year and trashed my career I realized the only real positive she said was when I adapted a writing lesson for an observation. She said she had not expected that plan to work out. I left that office in tears so many times.

I am super working on this with the guy in my life. He is a very traditional kind of guy, so some things I say are not working out so well. I am dealing with a lot more quietness. But some of my right speech moments have definetely been speaking up. It really changed my interactions with my supervisor.
    When I was hired as an assistant principal, the principal who hired me was one whom everyone was afraid of. I remember when our system went on a merit pay plan, it included a very formal evaluation system. For the first observation he chose an experienced teacher with whom he was good friends with...and even she was trembling when she came in for a conference. And that's just not necessary.

That's not to say I haven't had to lower the boom a few times -- like when a science teacher taught a concept completely wrong, and I caught it because I had been a science teacher myself. It was such an egregious content error, I had to order her to go back and reteach it the following day...and observe her doing so. But conferences -- even when teachers screwed up -- usually could be done humanely and in a way that progress was made. But that's where the being mindful came in.
  • @vinlyn
    I had to order her to go back and reteach it the following day...and observe her doing so
    . I appreciate you for doing this.

I find myself not really saying things but I know that I think alot of things that I should not. As many people know it's quick to judge someone even though they may not deserve it. Thankfully lately I have been catching myself on it.
    @Arjquad, that's a challenge for all of us, I suspect.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Thanks so much for the post. It was a great reminder.

And that Kierkegaard really gets the brain working... damn.

Gossip is essentially focusing your attention on others faults. Focusing your attention on what you don't like about other people, which is essentially the opposite of Metta and has the opposite effects. Whereas Metta is love and kindness and the opposite leads to hatred and ill will. If you think negatively of someone, the problems is really with yourself and your lack of Metta, not the other person. If you think negatively of someone else, you should look at yourself first.

In a situation that is apparently contradictory, the "right action" IMO would be the action that does not lead to the arising of ill will, hate, etc. The action that supports Metta is the right action and right speech [...] The non-harming speech aspect not only applies to causing harm to others with your speech, it also applies to causing harm to yourself and your own internal cultivation of love and kindness.

Thanks for that post - basically, if you see everyone as your friend, you'll have no enemies? I think I can live with that!

I've never really thought about metta and people in that way. Then again, I'm fairly new to this. Very illuminating!

• I also studied sociology and know what you mean about being critical, and how difficult it is to approach things from a more open point of view.

Something that helps me when I'd like to let go of some of my critique and judgment is to acknowledge what I found underneath that tendency to be critical - a lot of fear about how I'm being judged. When usually, I wasn't being judged at all.

And yeah, I find that practicing right speech results in a lot less speech sometimes!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    I don't understand this statement in the OP: "I spent five years at university getting my Sociology degree, where being critical of pretty much everything is expected." What do you mean by "pretty much everything"? Are you talking about academic analysis and critique of theories in the field, and the like? That hardly falls under the "right speech" precept. I can't imagine you're implying that there was some sort of requirement to be critical of everything in everyday life?? "Being critical is expected"--by whom? I can't begin to formulate an answer until I have an understanding of what sounds like a very strange statement, sorry. I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

You're trying to gossip and slander less? Why would you slander anyone? Who goes around slandering people?? I'm having trouble relating to this OP, even though Right Speech is an important topic to me.

Sometimes Right Speech means we talk more, not less. It means we speak up if someone is being treated unjustly, we speak up to defend someone against a bully. Right Speech impels us to speak in situations in which we otherwise may have remained silent.
  • There was a time when we talked a lot about a person, about what we perceived as his mistakes. At some point someone suggested: “what if he placed a bugging device in here?”

That somehow stuck with me.
    Now often when I talk about someone, I think it’s possible that the person in question is secretly listening to what I’m saying. I try to speak my mind, but in a way that if the person would be hearing it, that would be okay.
    He would be unhappy about it maybe, but – the way I talk about him - I can look him in the eyes. Or her...
    I don't understand this statement in the OP: "I spent five years at university getting my Sociology degree, where being critical of pretty much everything is expected." What do you mean by "pretty much everything"? Are you talking about academic analysis and critique of theories in the field, and the like? That hardly falls under the "right speech" precept. I can't imagine you're implying that there was some sort of requirement to be critical of everything in everyday life?? "Being critical is expected"--by whom? I can't begin to formulate an answer until I have an understanding of what sounds like a very strange statement, sorry. I'm sure there's a simple explanation.

I can understand the OP. In various courses I have taken over the years to sit and not critique was to fail the course.

And, why do you think that critiquing is not "right speech"?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    You need to ask the OP that. That's what I don't understand about the OP. I don't see how doing assignments for university classes is relevant to questions about "Right Speech". I need clarification of the OP.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Yes, there was an academic expectation to be critical of theories and social norms, systems, etc. But when your brain is trained to do look at everything from mass media, government, social programs, social movements, etc critically, it affects your everyday life too. At least, that's the experience I and many of my classmates had. Only as of late have I been able to turn it down (not off).
    You're trying to gossip and slander less? Why would you slander anyone? Who goes around slandering people?? I'm having trouble relating to this OP, even though Right Speech is an important topic to me.
    By "slander" I'm talking about stuff like "So-and-so is a douchebag because he/she ________" or saying something negative about someone that wasn't really necessary (even if it was sort of true).

Have you done that before? I think most people have done that at least a handful of times, if not do it on a regular basis. Not saying that it's permissible, but rather that I'm surprised that you're shocked.
    Sometimes Right Speech means we talk more, not less. It means we speak up if someone is being treated unjustly, we speak up to defend someone against a bully. Right Speech impels us to speak in situations in which we otherwise may have remained silent.
    Yes, what you say is very true. But I was mainly curious about the aspect of Right Speech that may involve not saying anything. At all.

I can understand the OP. In various courses I have taken over the years to sit and not critique was to fail the course.

And, why do you think that critiquing is not "right speech"?

I don't see how doing assignments for university classes is relevant to questions about "Right Speech". I need clarification of the OP.
    I brought up my uni education because I was trying to give context to explain why I tend to be (what I see as) overly critical towards other people and their opinions. Then, I wanted to explore how trying to practice Right Speech may run into some problems.

If you desperately need one sentence to understand the topic, then I suppose it's this:

Where is the line between critiquing and being divisive? How can one practice Right Speech but still say something true and factual that may cause anger in others?

• @Invincible_summer, if you talk a little slower when criticizing there is more opportunity to understand and find a navigation through situations that you can feel proud of. Or it can work for defensiveness, that word hits home for me. Slowing down speach (including pausing before you talk) can bring more awarness. It is the awareness that does the job, but slowing down gives more space for that to happen.

When you lapse that is par for the course. Don't be too hard on yourself just remember your commitment to improve and when it comes to you work with the newfound intention in practice.
    Where is the line between critiquing and being divisive? How can one practice Right Speech but still say something true and factual that may cause anger in others?

In many hospitals, when a patient dies under circumstances that are questionable, the doctor or surgeon faces a panel of colleagues that sort of grill him on his procedures.

That would be a good example of how critiquing can be designed for a greater good.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for the clarification, IC, that was very helpful!

I looked up "slander" in the dictionary back when a discussion came up between friends a few years ago, about that precept. First of all, "slander", I discovered" refers to untruthful statements. It's not slander if it's true. And that's one of the Buddha's criteria, that a statement be true and factual . Another is that the statement be beneficial . So you can see that sometimes critiques can be beneficial. Whether or not it's pointless gossip, potentially harmful even, or potentially helpful, depend entirely on the situation. It may be important to warn people about douchebags. But if it's just idle chatter, it may turn out to be helpful to no one, and harmful the the douchebag himself. Only you can discern one way or another. Secondly, not all traditions word the precept the same. Some only prohibit slander. Others prohibit talking about others when they're not present. There are many versions to the precept, I discovered.

Maybe you feel like your academic training has set you up to be negative. You can make efforts to counterbalance that, without abandoning the skills you learned. Try to find the joy in life, work on spontaneity, being genuinely happy for people (or when something good happens to you, too). Try to recapture a certain innocence. Enjoy a beautiful sunset. Do something fun, just for the fun of it. In the spring, go to the beach or a stream and run and splash around, and be goofy, and laugh. Maybe because of your intense academic experience, you got used to living in your head all the time. It's time to cultivate the heart. :)

Critiques aren't bad or wrong speech. Think about a book reviewer. His job is to critique books and publish his comments in the newspaper. Hundreds of people read his articles. He's performing a public service by letting the public know what the book is about, how well-written it is, how well-researched it is, if it's non-fiction, did the author get his facts right or not, etc. Based on the critique, people can decide whether or not to buy the book. The author may not be thrilled with a negative review, but it would be wrong to write a dishonest review just to spare the author's feelings. The greater good is served by being honest.
    Thanks for the clarification, IC, that was very helpful!

I looked up "slander" in the dictionary back when a discussion came up between friends a few years ago, about that precept. First of all, "slander", I discovered" refers to untruthful statements. It's not slander if it's true. And that's one of the Buddha's criteria, that a statement be true and factual . Another is that the statement be beneficial . So you can see that sometimes critiques can be beneficial. Whether or not it's pointless gossip, potentially harmful even, or potentially helpful, depend entirely on the situation. It may be important to warn people about douchebags. But if it's just idle chatter, it may turn out to be helpful to no one, and harmful the the douchebag himself. Only you can discern one way or another. Secondly, not all traditions word the precept the same. Some only prohibit slander. Others prohibit talking about others when they're not present. There are many versions to the precept, I discovered.

Maybe you feel like your academic training has set you up to be negative. You can make efforts to counterbalance that, without abandoning the skills you learned. Try to find the joy in life, work on spontaneity, being genuinely happy for people (or when something good happens to you, too). Try to recapture a certain innocence. Enjoy a beautiful sunset. Do something fun, just for the fun of it. In the spring, go to the beach or a stream and run and splash around, and be goofy, and laugh. Maybe because of your intense academic experience, you got used to living in your head all the time. It's time to cultivate the heart. :)

Critiques aren't bad or wrong speech. Think about a book reviewer. His job is to critique books and publish his comments in the newspaper. Hundreds of people read his articles. He's performing a public service by letting the public know what the book is about, how well-written it is, how well-researched it is, if it's non-fiction, did the author get his facts right or not, etc. Based on the critique, people can decide whether or not to buy the book. The author may not be thrilled with a negative review, but it would be wrong to write a dishonest review just to spare the author's feelings. The greater good is served by being honest.
    Thank you for the response and the reminder; I do think that I live in my head too much, but lately I've been working on that.

I guess living in my head got me to this point of confusion too... :P

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Hopefully something here has been helpful. And welcome--you came to the right place with your questions. :)
  • "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • So your mind is attached with substances on right speeches! :eek: