Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

More Islamic Attacks on the Buddha, and this is not Al Qaeda.

edited February 2012 in General Banter
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gpQRnwpootZot3dABRpS168QzLbg?docId=CNG.b7b84d73ae0e2b3179e9deb594bd393e.481

..."a country of 330,000 Muslims with no religious freedom, where women can be flogged for extramarital sex and consuming alcohol is illegal for locals.

Islam is the official religion of the Maldives and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution."

Islam is a scary religion indeed.

Comments

• Islam is not the problem. Fundamentalist are, which twist the words of a book written in Arabic in a subtle language hundreds of years ago.

If they were trully Muslims they would know that "mischief ", destroying temples or defacing the gods of another religion is haram...forbidden, according to the quran.

Muslims and Islam are words translated into peace and submission to God.

So there is nothing to fear in the religion...fear men who twist her book to satisfy their need to destroy.

They are not Muslims. I condemn their actions, I am Muslim.
  • Islam most certainly is the problem.
    Islam is not like Christianity, where one can pick and choose what one will follow and believe, and how to interpret it.
    Islam has a long history of violence, all very clearly sanctioned in no uncertain terms in the Koran itself.

Even as a kid, growing up in California suburbs, I experienced evil words from Muslim classmates, for wearing a cross.

Get over your "Islam is not the problem" crap.
  • The Quran plainly tells Muslims that they are a favored race, while those of other religions are “perverted transgressors”:

Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book [Christians and Jews] had faith, it were best for them: among them are some who have faith, but most of them are perverted transgressors. (3:110)

The only acceptable position of non-Muslims to Muslims is subjugation under Islamic rule:

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. (9:29 Jizya is the money that non-Muslims must pay to their Muslim overlords in a pure Islamic state.)

One could, of course, go on and on, as the disgusting words of that book are almost endless, but this is not a Muslim forum nor am I getting into any debate with you. The words and actions all speak enough for themselves, and as the original article posted pertains to Buddhism, I shall leave it at that.
  • All abrahamic religions have had a history of violence that make wwii into an amusement park. That is recorded.

But wars and violence were not fought by the holy books, they were fought by men interpreting the messages.

"Islam is not like Christianity..."

Umm, Judaism has roots in the promise of Abraham, who made a covenant with God. Christianity is a break off of Judaism...essentially Judaism for everyone...and Islam, a religion brought out of the quran...shares in the same covenant with Abraham...

And islam has three branches that interpret the quran differently. Shia, fundamentalist and where we have extremist...Sunni, who follow dogma, tradition, and practice...and Sufi, the mystical liberal branch.

So before you lash out at me for trying to inform the community of something they may or may not know by saying I am full of shit, read a book.

Religions as you know them today are interpretations.

Following the spirit of the law in all of them take you to a simple understanding..
    ... the golden rule.
  • As I said, I am not going to post the countless quotes from the Koran, especially hard to 're-interpret' as gum and lollipops.
    Believe as you wish.

I have sincere concern and compassion for all who suffer under this most hateful religion, especially all of the abused women who live in Muslim lands, and the ones here in the very U.S. who are murdered by own family members for not being 'Muslim enough'.

Good luck to you.
  • I think you are reading whatever you want into them...did you hear me say that any book was "disgusting "

...you are rude and I a done with this thread.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    CaliGuy, are you worried about the actions of the muslim 'power structure'? Could you give some examples? I agree that the gross lack of women's rights is a shame. But I have met some chill muslims. Even a book cannot corrupt the Allah-nature of (some) Muslims.
  • Reading what I "want" into them? They are pretty clear in themselves.

Those who reject (Truth), among the People of the Book and among the Polytheists, will be in Hell-Fire, to dwell therein (for aye). They are the worst of creatures. (98:6)

Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve, then they would not believe. (8:55)

But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads, Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted; And for them are hooked rods of iron Whenever, in their anguish, they would go forth from thence they are driven back therein and (it is said unto them): Taste the doom of burning. (22:19-22)

Go ahead, Allison. Re-interpret those into sugar coated words of "peace and love".

• By the way, op, I too, do not agree with the way Muslims are running their countries...buy don't blame the problems on the holy books.

If any person looked harder into their books, they would see that religion is away of peace...all religions.

But I'm not going to convince you and if you hadn't insulted me I would have considered a friendship with you.

With love.
  • As for the Disbelievers, Whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not. Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom (2:6)

Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others besides, whom ye may not know (8:60)

O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk. (5:51)

• And this one...

"O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you, and know that Allah is with those who keep their duty." (9:123)

.... so much for Metta!
  • No...I don't debate with angry people or someone that has steady made up his mind about something.

Although your anger doesn't put you in the best light...
  • Lady Allison, I did not insult you.
  • You can ignore the words of your holy book all you want.
    As I said, this is not a Muslim forum nor was it meant to debate Islam.

The original artical was posted because I was deeply disturbed by it and it is related to Buddhism.
  • How am I angry?
    The words from the Koran are "angry" - they are not my words.

All I have expressed is concern and compassion for those under its spell.

I did refer to your 'Islam is peace' as crap - because I have never seen it or experienced it as such, nor read of it as such from its own words.

• On another totally random note, since you are now playing a 'victim'...

I rarely post or comment on this forum, but I do read it. Part of the reason is since I identify with Mahayana Buddhism, and 90% of what i read on here seems to be opposed to it, many people making comments and insinuations in the past that it is superstition, made up, not real etc etc etc.
    People calling statues santa claus, mario brothers, etc.
    If I do recall correctly, you are the one who made a remark about my Buddhist Holy Water post saying that it is "just water" and to get over it.
    You may want re-assess yourself before you claim the victim role.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    I become my viewpoint
    You become your viewpoint
    We must fight to the death

to the death to the death to the death
  • I guess this entire post is utterly pointless to people here.
    Just goes to show I guess no point in even posting on this forum.

So much for this...

Hopefully moderator will just delete the whole thing.
  • I sincerely apologized for the water in a pm...btw. I do feel bad about that. I don't think you should leave the forum.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its probley better not to debate Islam, anyone with an open mind knows what is written in the Koran and what the system of Abbregation does to the tradition of interpretation with this the book.

There are many peaceful people who practice Islam and whom practice virtue not all of them follow the book to the letter and neither do all christians with the Bible, If one is practicing virtue and abstaining from negativity then it is better not to debate their faith as faith is the root of practicing virtue for many people.
  • Leviticus 20:9: If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Ezekiel 20:25-26 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts—the sacrifice of every firstborn—that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.

Exodus 21:20-21 If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

1 Peter 2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Psalms 137:9 “Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against
    the stones.”

• On another totally random note, since you are now playing a 'victim'...

I rarely post or comment on this forum, but I do read it. Part of the reason is since I identify with Mahayana Buddhism, and 90% of what i read on here seems to be opposed to it, many people making comments and insinuations in the past that it is superstition, made up, not real etc etc etc.
    If I do recall correctly, you are the one who made a remark about my Buddhist Holy Water post saying that it is "just water" and to get over it.
    You may want re-assess yourself before you claim the victim role.
    I was gonna suggest you write a thread about your belief because I'm totally ignorant of that branch of Buddhism...obviously many are here if you have been hurt by their comments.

:)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Leviticus 20:9: If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Ezekiel 20:25-26 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts—the sacrifice of every firstborn—that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.

Exodus 21:20-21 If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

1 Peter 2:18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

Psalms 137:9 “Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against
    the stones.”

A good job some have a bit more sense then to follow advise such as this.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    You two (Cali, and Lady) are in a silly argument. The Israelites also believed themselves to be God's chosen people. That's how people thought back then. (See Sile's post for more examples of how people thought.) Christianity has a terrifying history (500 years of Inquisition, which in the beginning was aimed at former Muslims and Jews who had converted to Christianity), no better than Islam. Not to mention the Crusades.

Lots of Mahayana practitioners here, CaliGuy. You're interpreting things way too intensely. Lighten up, please, before your posts get flagged.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Islam most certainly is the problem.
    Islam is not like Christianity, where one can pick and choose what one will follow and believe, and how to interpret it.
    Islam has a long history of violence, all very clearly sanctioned in no uncertain terms in the Koran itself.

Even as a kid, growing up in California suburbs, I experienced evil words from Muslim classmates, for wearing a cross.

Get over your "Islam is not the problem" crap.
    No, I think you're very wrong.

First, you say that, "Islam is not like Christianity...Islam has a long history of violence, all very clearly sanctioned in no uncertain terms in the Koran itself." I suggest you look back at the history of holy wars and persecution of people in earlier times in Christianity. Christianity has evolved out of that phase to a very large extent, but it does show you how that religions can and do evolve and change in their thinking.

Second, I have known quite a few Muslims in my day. First, when I was a school principal I had a fair number of Muslim kids in my school and got to know quite a few of their parents. Second, my adopted son was a Muslim from Pakistan, and over a few years I got to know quite a few of his adult friends and their families. I saw a wide spectrum of beliefs among them.

As for the Disbelievers, Whether thou warn them or thou warn them not it is all one for them; they believe not. Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering. Theirs will be an awful doom (2:6)

Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others besides, whom ye may not know (8:60)

O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk. (5:51)

You said you weren't going to keep quoting the Koran.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    from the article CaliGuy posted:

"We lost all our 12th Century statues [a senior museum official said]. I wept when I heard that the entire display had gone. We are good Muslims and we treated these statues only as part of our heritage. It is not against Islam to display these exhibits.

Five people have since been arrested after they returned the following day to smash the CCTV cameras, he said."

Suddenly, the picture doesn't look so black-and-white. This guy doesn't seem so scary...
    I identify with Mahayana Buddhism, and 90% of what i read on here seems to be opposed to it,
    Those statues had nothing to do with Buddhism of any kind.
    In the 1990's, I lived around the corner from a little gem of a mosque. Every Sunday immigrants from all over the Muslim world, in a variety of traditional dress reflecting their countries of origin, would line up down the block, patiently waiting for the doors to open. Some of these people lived in my neighborhood, others drove in from other parts of town. All very nice, orderly people. I sometimes worried about them, as anti-Islam sentiment heated up in the US. It seemed like they could be sitting ducks for someone who might have an ax to grind regarding Islam. Fortunately, no one ever harassed them.
    If any person looked harder into their books, they would see that religion is away of peace...all religions.
    This is pretty much what the Dalai Lama says. :)

• Dakini,
    The sutras speak of all types of beings, spirits, earth spirits, etc, and merit of making offerings to them.
    Just because you do not understand some Buddhist images or statues form Asian cultures does not mean they have "nothing to do with Buddhism".

End of discussion.
  • They were eventually identified as Taoist.
  • edited February 2012
    No, they were not identified as 'Taoist'.
    And it is not Taoist.
    Such statues can be seen even at Theravadin temples in Southeast Asia.

You are the one who assumed that the plastic cylinder with Chinese writing was some type of Taosit thing, when I corrected you by stating that it is a typical packaging container for incense that can be bought at any Asian market and is the kind most often used in Buddhist temples.

Enough of this bickering, Dakini. Have a good day.
  • Dakini is not the arbiter of what is and isn't Buddhism. I am, not!
  • @caliguy819 - unfortunately, you are misguided in your interpretations and facts.

You are of course entitled to your opinion however, you are grossly incorrect in many of the things you have said about Islam and the Koran - the opinion you express is formed from a cursory perusal of matters and not as a result of reasoned academic research.

Try suspending your disbelief and research further - there should be something inside you that says 'hold on - I seem to be in the severe minority here, maybe I need to research more into the subject' - at the very least you should take the criticism and entertain that you may be wrong.

I have no interest in protecting Islam or otherwise however I can tell you clearly and expressly that you are erring both in fact and in interpretation.
  • They might have created a petition to have the statues removed and sold them on E-bay. I would have put a bid. And I am Buddhist.

So I guess Islam has not much to do with an unruly mob. Yet I think art and culture is valuable. To people. And Buddhists are also people. Ah well I guess it's a lesson on impermanence.
  • Could a moderator @Lincoln @mountain @federica @Brian....step in to close this thread permanently...it is only bringing out the worst in people, including me.

I don't see how this thread is beneficial to anyone, unless op derives a sadistic satisfaction from negativity.

Close thread
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Lady_Alison, it is bringing out the best in me at this moment. I love the threads on the Kalichakra and how bodhicitta is sperm though. Neato.
    @caliguy819, I'd like you to examine your tone, which is not fitting in with this forum's general way of discussing things. A few examples:

"Get over your "Islam is not the problem" crap."

"the disgusting words of that book are almost endless"

"since you are now playing a 'victim'"

"End of discussion."
  • The Buddha warned against traditions, writings and beliefs when he said,
    “Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
  • Yeah I guess it's the tone, vinylyn.
  • Though I am sympathetic to those whose blood is boiling or who may be offended - I dont agree with censorship - Caliguy is entitled to his views and should be able to express them - if people dont like it then leave the thread and read no more - if no comments are made it will go down the list and disappear into obscurity - I may not agree with the guy (as he is just misinformed on the facts) but by stopping people expressing themselves further misunderstanding and bad feeling develops- talking never killed anyone...
  • @caliguy819, I'd like you to examine your tone, which is not fitting in with this forum's general way of discussing things. A few examples:

"Get over your "Islam is not the problem" crap."

"the disgusting words of that book are almost endless"

"since you are now playing a 'victim'"

"End of discussion."
    :thumbsup:
    You missed the "...this most hateful religion" post. ;)

Just goes to show I guess no point in even posting on this forum.

So much for this...

Hopefully moderator will just delete the whole thing.
    You're right; there's no point for you to post on this forum. Great idea you had, for a moderator to delete the whole thing. Why don't you flag your own OP and make it a formal request?

• No point for me to post on this forum? Why, thanks!

Jeffrey, your posts are thought-provoking, thank you for them.

To all others who chose to attack me, may you find peace.

Forums are meant to express things, right or wrong. I would not attack anyone personally.
  • No point for me to post on this forum?
    It was your idea, pal.

• You have been anything but compassionate, but thank you.
    You are also one who mocked the posting with the statues.
    How compassionate.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    CaliGuy, angry words get flagged and then there is sensitivity to having anchors such as scripture jacked with. And then the mandala guardians come and become wrath. We like to analyze things but with manners.

There have been other posts about statues getting destroyed without this outcome.
  • I didn't see many manners in the posting with the image of the statues,
    or other posting one can search for from long ago in regards to Buddhist practices and beliefs in Asia.
    Guess this is a 'western' no beliefs forum ?
  • CaliGuy, are you talking about the shrine? Nobody destroyed it they just laughed at it. Names do hurt I know. No buts about it.
  • Indeed, Jeffrey. I found it offensive the insensitive comments about Buddhist practices and images merely because they were unfamiliar to certain people. Doesn't mean they should mock and make fun of it, yet some of those very people are now here attacking me for supposedly mis-representing Islam! How ironic.
    Indeed, Jeffrey. I found it offensive the insensitive comments about Buddhist practices and images merely because they were unfamiliar to certain people. Doesn't mean they should mock and make fun of it, yet some of those very people are now here attacking me for supposedly mis-representing Islam! How ironic.
    Frankly I agreed with you regarding the statues. I found it somewhat offensive and based on ignorance. I have seen such statues in many Buddhist temples in SE Asia, particularly those where there is a strong Chinese influence.

But now, I am telling you I find your comments here to be far more harsh and offensive.

I see many problems with the way in which Islam is interpreted, but I do not condemn all aspects of it or all who consider themselves Muslim. Critiquing certain aspects of any religion is fine, but I have always been taught that while we Buddhists have our own beliefs, we do not denigrate other religions.

• Yeah I'm not good at this socializing thing either. Tell me, what was your thoughts in deciding to have this discussion of your post? And how did it feel in the interchange?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I'm closing this thread. Personal attacks and the denigration other religious traditions abound, neither of which are acceptable here.
This discussion has been closed.