Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha and questions about God story

ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hi friends, some time ago I read a story about three men asking to Buddha if God really exist, then Buddha reply diferents answers to each men. God exist for one man, God don't exist for other man and Buddha was silent for third man.

Do you know this story? Do you know where came from, is from a Sutta, Sutra or other source?

Blessings.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Interesting, with lots of implications...if true.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    I only found this, apparently from a Ocho book:
    http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Stories/Conditioning/Buddha_explaining_existence_of_God.htm

I didn't find any link of this story to a buddhist text (sutta or sutra), so I really don't know if is a "canonical" (for use a word) story or not. :/
  • try here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Wheels/wh057.pdf

or same, here: http://www.leighb.com/dn13.htm

however, ignore the commentary in the 2nd, because the path to Brahm does not mean the path to Nibbana

:)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2012
    try here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Wheels/wh057.pdf

or same, here: http://www.leighb.com/dn13.htm

however, ignore the commentary in the 2nd, because the path to Brahm does not mean the path to Nibbana

Actually, I think the commentary should be read as it presents some good references regarding the potentially salvific power of the four brahma-viharas, particularly metta or loving-kindness.

I first began to take a more critical look at the traditional view that the four brahma-viharas only lead to rebirth in the Brahma realms (whether figuratively or literally) and not nibbana myself after reading Richard Gombrich's book, What the Buddha Thought, as well as his article, "Kindness and Compassion as means to Nirvana in Early Buddhism."

In the former, for example, he mentions that, while the idea of loving-kindness being salvific is often neglected in Theravada, there are texts in the Pali Canon extolling kindness and how it can lead to enlightenment. One is the Metta Sutta (found at Khp 9 and Snp 1.8), which begins with extolling kindness towards the world, and climaxes with this passage:
    Towards the whole world one should develop loving thoughts boundless: upwards, downwards, sideways, without restriction, enmity or rivalry. Standing, walking, sitting or lying, one should be as alert as possible and keep one's mind on this. They call this divine living in the world. Not taking up ideas, virtuous with perfect insight, by controlling greed for sensual pleasure one does not return to lie in the womb. (Gombrich's translation)
    He notes that, "This conclusion to the poem surely corroborates that the whole poem is about how one may become enlightened. Moreover, it is natural to interpret 'not returning to lie in the womb' as meaning that one will have escaped altogether from the cycle of rebirth, which is to say that one will have attained nirvana" (87). Of course, he's careful to point out that the poem doesn't state kindness alone will produce salvific results, and that it mentions other qualities of great importance (e.g., insight and self-control), but then he brings up Dhp 368:
    The monk who dwells in kindness, with faith in the Buddha's teachings, may attain the peaceful state, the blissful cessation of conditioning. (Gombrich's tranlsation)
    Gombrich concludes this passage is "saying that kindness is salvific, and it is surely no coincidence that the term for nirvana, 'the peaceful state', is the same as the one used at the opening of the Metta Sutta" (87).

So while I'm not sure if loving kindness alone can lead to nibbana, I'm more inclined to agree with Gombrich that it, especially along with the other three, can be salvific in the proper context. It's one of the ten perfections, after all, which are not only the skillful qualities one develops as one follows the path to nibbana, but the basis of the path to full Buddhahood as well.

As for the OP, another text worth taking a look at is MN 100. Interpretations as to what it means differ, however. While the Bhikkhu Nanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi translation appears to present the Buddha affirmatively stating that gods or heavenly beings do indeed exist, as is the traditional position, the Buddha may have held a more nuanced position than a lot traditionalists believe. For example, David Kalupahana's opinion in his book, Buddhist Philosophy, is that:
    A careful study of these concepts of heaven and hell, gods and evil spirits, reveals that they were accepted in Buddhism as regulative ideas or concepts only. The fact that they are merely theories based on speculation is well brought out it certain statements by the Buddha. To a Brahman who questioned the Buddha as to whether there are gods, he replied, "It is not so." When asked whether there are no gods, the Buddha's reply was the same, "It is not so." And finally to the Brahman who was baffled by these replies, the Buddha said, "The world, O Brahman, is loud in agreement that there are gods" (ucce sammatam kho etam brahmana lokasmin yadidam atthi devati). The same is the attitude of the Buddha with regard to the concept of hell. In the Samyutta-nikaya he is represented as saying that it is only the uneducated ordinary man (assutava puthujjano) who believes that there is a hell beneath the great ocean. According to the Buddha's view, hell is another name for unpleasant feelings (dukkha vedana). [The first reference is MN 2.213, the second is S 4.206]
    Just something to think about.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Actually my intention is not begin a debate about if The Buddha said if exist or not exist Gods or divine beings. I'm already done with that.

I only want to know (mostly by curiosity) from where came this story, and if this show in a more traditional Buddhist text like the Suttas or Sutras.

Thanks for all your answers :)

Blessings.

edited April 2012
    I've never seen a story in the Suttas quite like what Osho presents, so I'm not sure where it comes from. The closest thing I know if is MN 100, as I've already mentioned.
  • edited April 2012
    In the former, for example, he mentions that, while the idea of loving-kindness being salvific is often neglected in Theravada,
    Gombrich is obviously incorrect here. loving-kindness being salvific is not neglected in Theravada. instead, loving-kindness is a prominant teaching in Theravada, which provides loving-kindness with its appropriate place. if Gombrich was actually a Buddhist and actually a Buddhist practitioner, he would be would doubt that loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada. merely participating in daily chanting prescribed by Theravada demonstrates loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada. merely living in a Theravada culture demonstrates loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada.
    Actually, I think the commentary should be read as it presents some good references regarding the potentially salvific power of the four brahma-viharas, particularly metta or loving-kindness.
    MN 43 presents the brahma-vihara in an appropriate way in respect to their salvic qualities and it is made clear they are liberative but not the foremost
    One is the Metta Sutta (found at Khp 9 and Snp 1.8), which begins with extolling kindness towards the world, and climaxes with this passage:
    Towards the whole world one should develop loving thoughts boundless: upwards, downwards, sideways, without restriction, enmity or rivalry. Standing, walking, sitting or lying, one should be as alert as possible and keep one's mind on this. They call this divine living in the world. Not taking up ideas, virtuous with perfect insight, by controlling greed for sensual pleasure one does not return to lie in the womb. (Gombrich's translation)
    what appears neglected here by Gombrich is the "perfect insight" (dassanena sampanno), which is the means to full enlightenment rather than the metta
    So while I'm not sure if loving kindness alone can lead to nibbana, I'm more inclined to agree with Gombrich...
    a stream-enter is free from doubt about that which, alone, leads to nibbana.

• ....he would be without doubt that loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada.
    edited April 2012
    Just can't resist disagreeing with me, can you DD? :)
    In the former, for example, he mentions that, while the idea of loving-kindness being salvific is often neglected in Theravada,
    Gombrich is obviously incorrect here. loving-kindness being salvific is not neglected in Theravada. instead, loving-kindness is a prominant teaching in Theravada, which provides loving-kindness with its appropriate place. if Gombrich was actually a Buddhist and actually a Buddhist practitioner, he would be would doubt that loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada. merely participating in daily chanting prescribed by Theravada demonstrates loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada. merely living in a Theravada culture demonstrates loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada.
    Metta being salvific in the sense of leading to nibbana is indeed neglected as it's outright denied in Theravada. Gombrch's argument, on the other hand, is that metta is, in fact, salvific in the sense of leading to nibbana, and not just to the Brahma realm (however you interpret that) as is the orthodox Theravadin position on the matter.
    MN 43 presents the brahma-vihara in an appropriate way in respect to their salvic qualities and it is made clear they are liberative but not the foremost
    I agree that MN 43 presents them in a way which illustrates their salvic qualities that nevertheless falls short of nibbana. Gombrich himself addresses this in the article I link to above, and finds the language somewhat peculiar, suspecting an example of an early Buddhist debate finding its way into the canonical literature (see esp. p. 11).
    what appears neglected here by Gombrich is the "perfect insight" (dassanena sampanno), which is the means to full enlightenment rather than the metta
    I disagree. For one, I think the context of that passage from the Metta Sutta needs to be taken into consideration, which he explains in the same article. In addition, he points out that, in DN 13, "each of these four states is called ceto-vimutti, 'liberation of the mind,'" which happens to be one of several terms used throughout the canon in reference to nibbana (pp. 10-11).
    edited April 2012
    ....he would be without doubt that loving-kindness is not neglected in Theravada.
    This completely misunderstands and misrepresents what Gombrich is saying. He's not saying that metta being salvific is neglected in Theravada, but that metta being salvific in the sense of leading to nibbana is, which is a big difference. In essence, he suspects that the salvific potential of metta and the other three brahma-viharas got downgraded somewhere along the way.
  • edited April 2012
    Just can't resist disagreeing with me....
    why take it personally, given it is Grombrich interpretation to which disagreement is raised?

metta does not lead to Nibbana because metta, alone, contains the perception of 'beings'. of metta, buddha taught in the core discourses:
    Develop the meditation of good will. For when you are developing the meditation of good will, ill-will will be abandoned.

Develop the meditation of compassion. For when you are developing the meditation of compassion, cruelty will be abandoned.

Develop the meditation of appreciation. For when you are developing the meditation of appreciation, resentment will be abandoned.

Develop the meditation of equanimity. For when you are developing the meditation of equanimity, irritation will be abandoned.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.062.than.html
    thus, MN 43 certainly presents metta in a way which illustrates its salvic qualities that nevertheless falls short of nibbana. metta certainly is a kind of ceto-vimutti (including in MN 43) but not the 'unshakeable ceto-vimutti' spoken of in MN 43.

to follow Grombich is certainly not the way of Buddha-Dhamma. Buddha taught:
    In the same way, monks, when association with worthy [enlightened] people prevails, listening to the True Teaching will prevail. When listening to the True Teaching prevails, faith will prevail. When faith prevails, wise attention will prevail. When wise attention prevails, mindfulness and clear comprehension will prevail. When mindfulness and clear comprehension prevail, sense-control will prevail. When sense-control prevails, the three ways of good conduct will prevail. When the three ways of good conduct prevail, the four foundations of mindfulness will prevail. When the four foundations of mindfulness prevail, the seven factors of enlightenment will prevail. When the seven factors of enlightenment prevail, liberation by supreme knowledge will prevail. Such is the nutriment of that liberation by supreme knowledge, and so it prevails."

— AN 10.61 & 62
    Monks, among all (religious) orders or communities, the Sangha of the Tathāgata’s disciples is reckoned to be the best, that it to say, the four pairs of noble persons, the eight noble individuals; this Sangha of the Blessed One’s disciples is worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of reverential salutation, an unsurpassed field of merit for the world. Those who have faith in the Sangha have faith in the best; and for those who have faith in the best, the best result will be theirs.

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh155.pdf
    good luck :)

• edited April 2012
    In addition, he points out that, in DN 13, "each of these four states is called ceto-vimutti, 'liberation of the mind,'" which happens to be one of several terms used throughout the canon in reference to nibbana (pp. 10-11).
    Grombich definity does not comply with Buddha-Dhamma. MN 43 states:
    Kati panāvuso, paccayā adukkhamasukhāya cetovimuttiyā samāpattiyā’’ti?

Friend, how many conditions are there for the attainment of the neither-pleasant-nor-painful awareness-release?

Friend, there are four conditions for the attainment of the neither-pleasant-nor-painful awareness-release. There is the case where a monk, with the abandoning of pleasure & stress — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. These are the four conditions for the attainment of the neither-pleasant-nor-painful awareness-release.

Yā cāyaṃ, āvuso, appamāṇā cetovimutti, yā ca ākiñcaññā cetovimutti, yā ca suññatā cetovimutti, yā ca animittā cetovimutti

The limitless [Brahma-Vihara] awareness-release, the nothingness awareness-release, the emptiness awareness-release, the theme-less-awareness-release
    it is demonstrated above, with five dhammas, the term 'cetovimutti' is not in reference to or synonomous with Nibbana.

the cetovimutti of the 4th jhana is not in reference to nibbana. the cetovimutti of nothingness is not in reference to nibbana. the cetovimutti of the signless is not in reference to nibbana. equally, the cetovimutti of the four brahma vihara is not in reference to nibbana.

only suññatā cetovimutti is in reference to nibbana because both suññatā cetovimutti & Nibbana are described as empty of greed, hatred & delusion.

thus it is conclusively shown the views of Grombich do not represent Buddha-Dhamma. in short, there is no need to reinvent the wheel regarding this matter

all the best :)
    the unprovoked awareness-release is declared the foremost. And this unprovoked awareness-release is empty of passion, empty of aversion, empty of delusion.

cetovimutti suññā rāgena, suññā dosena, suññā mohena.

MN 43
    That, friend, which is the destruction of greed, hate and delusion that is Nibbana”

SN 38:1.
    edited April 2012
    Just can't resist disagreeing with me....
    why take it personally, given it is Grombrich interpretation to which disagreement is raised?
    I'm not, at least I don't feel that I am. I just find it amusing that no matter how many times you reregister under a different name after being banned, you still have the same disagreements with me. It's almost like a compulsion, and I can't help wondering why you persist.

As for your ad hominems against Gombrich, which are separate from your actual arguments, I find him to be a competent translator, being proficient in both Pali and Sanskrit, and value his textual analysis. Because of that, I take his opinions into consideration as his knowledge of Pali language and grammar far exceed my own. That doesn't mean I think he's always right, but I do think he's worth listening to. In addition, I find it interesting that you seem to have no trouble dismissing suttas that contradict your interpretations and views as later additions, but are so quick to disregard others when they in turn suggest that certain texts show evidence of early Buddhist debates finding their way into the canonical literature, even when they're arguably experts in the language and textual history in question.

In regard to the arguments themselves, however, I do think they're sound, and they certainly accord with orthodox Theravada on the subject. That said, they disregard Gombrich's analysis of MN 43 as showing evidence of early debates influencing canonical texts. In my opinion, simply quoting MN 43 in order to prove that it's right isn't a very convincing counterargument without at least first making a case for why it should be taken at face value. The same argument you make for being skeptical of many of the suttas in the Digha Nikaya applies here, as well. Make a convincing argument for accepting MN 43 at face value, and I'll definitely have to reassess my opinions on the matter.
  • I just find it amusing that no matter how many times you reregister under a different name after being banned, you still have the same disagreements with me.
    I still want to know, was DD actually Hanzze, or was Hanzze a breed all his own?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The latter.