Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Seeing the Dalai Lama at the MEN

SimonSimon Explorer
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Today
Not really a discussion, just an expression of my excitement as I'm going to see the Dalai Lama and Russell Brand in a discussion at the MEN arena in Manchester tomorrow; which is free for under 25's, so even better. Has anyone else in here seen the Dalai Lama in person before?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes. I've also seen Russell Brand.

GoodGodYawl.....the combination is frightening....
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
  • FireSongFireSong Explorer
    Oh nelly.
  • I did see the Dalai Lama, he is a good speaker and kinda funny. Very down to earth about the whole thing. I think you will enjoy
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've seen him twice. The first time he spoke in Tibetan through an interpreter, and was wonderful, spontaneous and funny. The second time, years later, he spoke in English and was more stiff and formal. I much preferred him speaking in Tibetan.
    @Simon, can you tell us what was it like? Are you going to the other talks of HHDL?

I saw him live once, it was 10 years ago.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Why Russell Brand?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Opposites attract.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Is it just me, or does Russell bear a striking resemblance to Jesus?
  • Has anyone else in here seen the Dalai Lama in person before?
    Yeah, 4xs. The second time was a lecture on Dharmakirti. That was the real Dalai Lama, the one the crowd seldom sees.
  • I_AM_THATI_AM_THAT Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I was fortunate to be able to spend three days with his Holiness this past spring in Southern California. He is truly an amazing man, and his interpreter is also amazing. As far as Russell Brand it is my understanding that he is on a path (not sure it is Buddhism), but he meditates and works on being mindful in his personal life, without judgement or prejudice... do not judge him by his professional persona (after all, it is all an act...)
    Simon
    Opposites attract.
    He might bear a striking resemblance to the Western ideal of what romantically we presume Jesus may have looked like, but I would opine that any similarity - both physical and of any other kind - ends there.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Opposites attract.
    He might bear a striking resemblance to the Western ideal of what romantically we presume Jesus may have looked like, but I would opine that any similarity - both physical and of any other kind - ends there.

Indeed...very hard to know. Almost assuredly darker than Russell, though perhaps not if Russell spent more than 1 day a year outside ;)

An interesting and somewhat recent attempt:

"In 2001, the television series Son of God used one of three first-century Jewish skulls from a leading department of forensic science in Israel to depict Jesus in a new way. A face was constructed using forensic anthropology by Richard Neave, a retired medical artist from the Unit of Art in Medicine at the University of Manchester. The face that Neave constructed suggested that Jesus would have had a broad face and large nose, and differed significantly from the traditional depictions of Jesus in renaissance art. Additional information about Jesus's skin color and hair was provided by Mark Goodacre, a senior lecturer at the Department of Theology and Religion at the University of Birmingham. Using third-century images from a synagogue—the earliest pictures of Jewish people—Goodacre proposed that Jesus's skin color would have been darker and swarthier than his traditional Western image. He also suggested that he would have had short, curly hair and a short cropped beard. This is also confirmed in the First Epistle to the Corinthians, where Paul the Apostle states that it is "disgraceful" for a man to have long hair. As Paul knew many of the disciples and members of Jesus's family, it is unlikely that he would have written such a thing had Jesus had long hair. Although not literally the face of Jesus, the result of the study determined that Jesus's skin would have been more olive-colored than white, and that he would have looked like a typical Galilean Semite. Among the points made was that the Bible records that Jesus's disciple Judas had to point him out to those arresting him. The implied argument is that if Jesus's physical appearance had differed markedly from his disciples, then he would have been relatively easy to identify."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depiction_of_Jesus
    It took a bunch of experts to tell us that a man from an Arabo-Jewish region looked like an Arab Jew....?
    Wow, what would we have done without them....?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I'm glad Jesus, excuse me Yeshua, looked something like that. We white guys think too much of ourselves. ;) It's both sad and funny when people adopt beliefs, and men/gods, from other cultures but superimpose their own racial features. A white Jesus indeed! And that's his Greek name. :D
    edited July 2012
    Oh hang on... we're not the only 'guilty' ones here....
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited July 2012
    It took a bunch of experts to tell us that a man from an Arabo-Jewish region looked like an Arab Jew....?
    Wow, what would we have done without them....?
    Indeed. Though I've heard some discussion that his mother may have been a North African Jew, or part-African, which would likely put Jesus well beyond Russel's best tanning booth attempts ;)

It is fascinating to me, though, how often Mary's (proposed) mother Anne/Hannah is depicted as dark-skinned, often darker-skinned than Mary.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Oh hang on... we're not the only 'guilty' ones here....
    Oh I didn't mean to say we were!

edited July 2012
    @Sile, That's because of course, Mary was blonde, and blondes always have fairer skin... :screwy:

her son looks kinda cherubic too, doncha think?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @federica Maybe we'd have some more tolerance in the world if someone did something about all this iconic imagery, changing it to be more realistic. Don't ya think?
    @Cloud, I think it's because people latch on to the familiar, to gain comfort.... talk about 'God created man in his own image'.... oh,. really....? :D
    Maybe this is why Islam forbids imagery.., Because Allah would be one angry woman if word got out....
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Oh yeah and I think was it a hundred years after the earliest Ghantarian Buddha statues complete with Grecian curls were constructed that they were slowly switched over to a head covering of snails?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @federica, I think Islam got that from Judaism (no divine images).
  • I've never understood Russell Brand's appeal. He leaves me cold.
    @federica, I think Islam got that from Judaism (no divine images).
    I was kidding.... notice I referred to Allah in the feminine..... :D

I've never understood Russell Brand's appeal. He leaves me cold.
    QFT.

*Like*.