Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The choices I've made to live a better lay life.

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited August 2012 in General Banter
I've thought about becoming a Theravadan monk many times. The reason I couldn't do it in the end was too many medical problems (physical, not mental). Even though I can't be a full monk, I still take steps to be as "skillful" a lay Buddhist as possible. Here are some of the things I believe to be helpful to my progression. And please, let me know what all of you have been doing to live a simpler and nicer life.

I only purchase clothing from charity clothing lines, or from friends' lines. I made the decision to not care about style; nonetheless, I need clothes to wear and I figured I might as well help others. I also only have one pair of shoes at a time, I only buy a new pair when mine fall apart. It definitely has helped me escape from the vanity that my younger self used to chase.

I find tea and coffee to be perfect substitutes for alcohol.

I've learned to remove the biases that come with music and art. People will fight over opinions and become savages. I've learned to accept and approve of the colored lenses people wear. If someone hates on something I like, I don't get defensive, because that shows a sense of ownership or attachment to that thing.

I follow the Buddha's rule on eating meat. Luckily there are TONS of really good imitation meats, so there is really no conflict with craving meat.

I forced myself to no longer (intentionally) kill insects. I hated them more than anything my entire life, but I have to respect all life and make sure I never act under fear or anger.
Bunksstill_learning

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    It sounds like you know what you want, and are actively engaged in changing your life to meet the standards you'd like to live by. Bravo and so on. :)
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Very awesome and very inspirational =D Thanks for not killing out buggy friends =]

I really like that shoes idea. That is awesome and I'm gonna start doing that.

Do you have a favorite kind of tea? This place I used to frequent had a blend called "Jasmine Green" and it was very tasty. Also one called "Dragonwell" that I really liked.
  • LostLight said:

I hated them more than anything my entire life, but I have to respect all life and make sure I never act under fear or anger.

Do you not hate them anymore? How did you get over it?

Seriously, bugs are my number one most hated thing. I can't bear them. We went for a weekend in cottage country over the summer and the bugs stressed me out so much I spent most of my time hiding indoors! We tried to have a beer on the deck and I nearly broke my finger running away from something :( I think the only time I left the cottage after that was to leave :lol:
    Mindfull
  • edited August 2012
    ^ you're not alone. I am terrified of bugs myself. In fact, i am terrified of anything that moves ... and anythjng that doesn't, lol.
    RebeccaS
  • I used to be sqweemish toward bugs but I got over it by just watching them. And realizing that we, as humans are obviously not a viable food source cuz we Are so Much bigger, and they usually don't get on us on purpose. Well except mosquitos lol. I stopped killing bugs 95 percent of the time.
  • The Dalai Lama and a mosquito
    RebeccaSMindfull
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Nice one!

I made a conscious decision to stop watching commercial television or watching commercial news a few years ago. It has certainly helped lessen my anxiety about the world and the way they tell me I should live.

I don't buy clothes that have a brand or label on them.

I also try and only buy my clothes from a local clothing store that I like. They have a really good charitable foundation and I often make a point of donating a small amount of money to the charity each time I buy clothes from them.

Oh yeah.....and I like bugs too! Not sure why people have a problem with them? Having said that, I have a fear of heights so I guess we all have our phobias :hair: :hair: :hair:
    Beej
  • RebeccaS said:

LostLight said:

I hated them more than anything my entire life, but I have to respect all life and make sure I never act under fear or anger.

Seriously, bugs are my number one most hated thing. I can't bear them. We went for a weekend in cottage country over the summer and the bugs stressed me out so much I spent most of my time hiding indoors! We tried to have a beer on the deck and I nearly broke my finger running away from something :( I think the only time I left the cottage after that was to leave :lol:
    Insect Repelent does wonders you won't harm insects ( Tropical Strength) or even burning those insect repelent candles have you tried them?
  • Oh sorry RebeccaS forgot your cat has a fetish with candles :lol:

• LostLightLostLight Veteran
    edited August 2012

It was certainly a difficult and taxing progression. First, even though I was scared, I made sure to not kill. Eventually, I tried to look at it from a bug's perspective; they desire to live even if they aren't aware of it. I don't have the right to take that away. I got to the point where as long as they don't start going into my nose, eyes or ears I can easily tolerate them. I do not like bugs, but I was able to escape the hatred I felt toward them subconsciously.
    The total time it took was about 3 months. I have not intentionally killed a bug since getting to this point, which I think is something to be proud of considering how insanely hateful of them I was.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    You don't think bugs are aware? I think they are, it's just a simple awareness. They act upon what they sense just like we do, just like animals do.
  • sova said:

Very awesome and very inspirational =D Thanks for not killing out buggy friends =]

I really like that shoes idea. That is awesome and I'm gonna start doing that.

Do you have a favorite kind of tea? This place I used to frequent had a blend called "Jasmine Green" and it was very tasty. Also one called "Dragonwell" that I really liked.

My favorite tea is genmaicha green tea. Jasmine is actually a SUPER close second for me; it all depends on how I feel at the time. I've also had tea with a similar name to dragonwell and it was pretty great.
  • Cloud said:

You don't think bugs are aware? I think they are, it's just a simple awareness. They act upon what they sense just like we do, just like animals do.

oops. I meant to say even if they aren't aware that the decisions they make are of something that desires life, not that they aren't aware at all.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    I thought maybe you meant something like that. :)