Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Nirvana and What is the Essential Mind?

edited September 2012 in Philosophy
I'm pretty new to Buddhism. All my life, I have been raised as a Catholic, with a Catholic family, and I live in a very religious, Christian town. However, I never truly connected with the faith, and recently began researching Buddhism. I've only been studying really extensively for the past few months, and have been concentrating mostly on modern references. I feel that educating myself with more current texts will make understanding Buddhist concepts simpler for me because they would be more relatable. However, I have come to a few blocks as I try to embrace such big ideas. I've had a few questions in particular:

The past few months, I've been trying to grasp the idea of 'non-existence' and the idea that there is no such thing as the Self. I feel pretty stable with these concepts, so far. However, what I don't understand is, if there is no such thing as the Self, if we do not inherently exist, then how can we ever truly achieve Nirvana? How can we, beings who do not inherently exist, have permanent residence in Nirvana? If We are all insubstantial beings in an insubstantial world, doesn't this completely contradict with the existence of Nirvana? Buddhism philosophy is based on the concept that nothing inherently exists. How does the idea of Nirvana fit with this concept?

Only recently have I diverted from studying modern Buddhist texts. I've begun reading translated scriptures and again feel that there are inconsistencies. I'm having trouble understanding the principles the Buddha talks about because I keep finding these thoughts that contradict in my mind. For instance, in a few scriptures I was reading, Buddha spoke of something called 'The Essential Mind'. He explained that once stripped of our insubstantial body and mind, we can realize the Essential Mind and our true nature. The Essential Mind is said to be unchanging and eternal. However, to me it seems that the concept of an 'Essential Mind' contradicts with the idea of an absence of Self or the soul. If there is no such thing as an unchanging, eternal Self, how is there such a thing as the Essential Mind? The Essential Mind also contradicts with the idea that everything arises from causation, and nothing is inherently existent. How can both of these things be true?

Comments

• Hi, its very difficult to grasp the advanced theories of Buddhism when starting. This is always a problem as all the materials are available to everyone but without a proper guide/ syllabus to follow.

I always recommend to start with Theravada tradition. It makes an easy to understand introduction to foundation level dharma.

Leave the mind only, emptiness, interdependent origination alone until you have a firm foundation.

These concepts explain the philosophical side. Whether they are of benefit really depends on your current Understanding.

Its a bit like studying doctorate level for quantum physics. Will knowing benefit your everyday life.

Stick to the noble truths and eightfold paths, read aboit reincarnation between the 31 realms, karma formations, the NIKAYAS. Again, read Theravada material, start from there, then only progress to deeper truths.

Start at elementary level, then high school, then college etc.

• The "you" that doesn't exist is the one that you fabricate through thought, your identity, attachments to and judgements of things etc. Nirvana is the bliss that comes with knowing your true nature of mind and the impermanent nature of all form and grasping. Conciousness is everlasting, and as far as I can tell in buddhism, seems to be interperated as the soul. Self and soul being two entirely separate things.
    poptart
  • The truth is that these “beginner-questions” are not so easy to answer.
    In my humble opinion they could be impossible to answer to your satisfaction. And that’s okay.
    The words and the concepts – after all - are just tools, rafts, fingers pointing at the moon.

I think of Buddhism rather as a path, a practice, or a way of life.
    Just do it. You don’t achieve running a marathon by reading more books about it and understanding it better.
    Start understanding Buddhism by not doing harm, by learning meditation and by really looking at the truth of what is happening here and now in your body and mind.
    Patr
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited September 2012
    My understanding of Buddha's teachings says: Nirvana is the cessation of all conditions. Since it is unconditioned, so cannot be explained or understood by words. But it can only be directly experienced. It is the letting go of all craving.

Anatta or non-self means all conditioned things are empty of any inherent existence. So you exist conventionally in Samsara, but there is no 'you' as an entity in you. In ultimate reality, you are just a set of conditions which continuously arise and cease based on the arising and ceasing of its causes, without any entity in it - though it seems too philosophical, but it is ultimate reality which cannot be understood or explained through words, but can only be directly experienced.

As far as 'The Essential Mind' is concerned, I have till now not read that Buddha said of such a thing. But there are traditions in Buddhism, which talk about Buddhahood, or plain Buddha consciousness - which are almost like Soul in Christianity or Atman in Hinduism. So I cannot comment upon, whether Buddha talked about 'The Essential Mind' or Buddhahood. But I think there is some Sutta which says Buddha did not answered the question about whether there is any Self different from the body, or what happens after death etc, because these things do not help in reducing the suffering.

Try to understand 4 noble truths. Buddha taught that all conditioned things are impermanent(anicca), unsatisfactory(dukkha) and non-self(anatta). So try to understand this statement and try to directly experience it. It is nothingness everywhere, so no one going nowhere - just conditions playing out by arising and ceasing of their own. We suffer because we try to crave and cling to these processes by giving meaning to it, instead of just observing it.
  • Think of the "self" as your opinion of who you are, the thoughts you have collected over the years about your identity. In truth there is no-self because these are just thoughts. In truth you are the vastness of consciousness which is nirvana. But in your conditioned state you have lost awareness of that and instead identify with the little bundle of thoughts you call "self".

It is a difficult thing to grasp because it cannot be conceptualised, only felt. Through practice you begin to feel the vastness of your true self behind the noise of your thoughts.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Hi escritara
    if we do not inherently exist, then how can we ever truly achieve Nirvana?
    Because we don't achieve nirvana, we just end the illusion of existence that overshadows nirvana.

Nirvana's in the bag, it's inherent, it's not going anywhere. You might imagine a person who has never really seen clouds because they were daydreaming cloud faces.

Or imagine you were running a gold mining company and you had spent all your life digging up the amazon rainforest to find gold, when one day your company was taken over and you were sacked. Might you not see the forest for the first time as it really is, and not in terms of the gold it could yield? I think Nirvana's like that, seeing there is no self and that we therefore don't have a horse in this race.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    It's confusing that there are multiple schools of Buddhism with different interpretation. Obviously not all Buddhists are enlightened, so differences of view naturally arose over time. Some indeed describe some eternalistic aspects to nirvana. Also there are some freethinkers who try to fit Buddhism around their views which makes it even more confusing. So don't think Buddhism speaks as one. The more further along the path the things is we talk about, the more the views differ usually.

If you'd ask me, some sort of eternalism is not what nirvana is. Nirvana is two-fold. Nirvana is cessation of existence and thus perfectly corresponds with non-self. There is also nirvana while still alive, which is realizing this cessation is indeed the highest happiness. There is no such thing as an essential mind, for the word mind is just a word to describe an always changing process.
    edited September 2012
    Sabre
    Nirvana is cessation of existence
    It never was existence in the first place, though. So in my view it doesn't cease in that way, but in the way that water ceases when a mirage is understood.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012

Sabre

Nirvana is cessation of existence
    It never was existence in the first place, though. So in my view it doesn't cease in that way.
    It's a matter of semantics, mainly. Let's call it cessation of life than if you prefer that. :)
    edited September 2012
    Sabre
    cessation of life
    It won't work with any word, because all of them cease in the way the water ceases when it's seen to be a mirage. Even cessation ceases. The important thing is that we are not strangers to what remains when they cease. IMO, Nirvana will not surprise anyone, though it may make us facepalm.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Well, obviously there is something going on, so we might as well give it a name. That it isn't 'is' anything, I agree. But it's not a full mirage either.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I'm pretty new to Buddhism. All my life, I have been raised as a Catholic, with a Catholic family, and I live in a very religious, Christian town. However, I never truly connected with the faith, and recently began researching Buddhism. I've only been studying really extensively for the past few months, and have been concentrating mostly on modern references. I feel that educating myself with more current texts will make understanding Buddhist concepts simpler for me because they would be more relatable. However, I have come to a few blocks as I try to embrace such big ideas.

Hi Escritara

I am still 'new' to Buddhism after some after nearly 20 years of following the Dharma.

[quote]The past few months, I've been trying to grasp the idea of 'non-existence' and the idea that there is no such thing as the Self. I feel pretty stable with these concepts, so far. However, what I don't understand is, if there is no such thing as the Self, if we do not inherently exist, then how can we ever truly achieve Nirvana? How can we, beings who do not inherently exist, have permanent residence in Nirvana? If We are all insubstantial beings in an insubstantial world, doesn't this completely contradict with the existence of Nirvana? Buddhism philosophy is based on the concept that nothing inherently exists. How does the idea of Nirvana fit with this concept?[/quote]

You are asking BIG questions. Not that there is anything wrong in asking questions - just don't expect any concrete answers with which you will agree.

Most of us Westerners just love the logic and rational approach to any question but in Buddhism things are somewhat different. It is how you, and I, have been bought up. The West is pretty big on the whole idea of 'self' which is a cultural thing. In the East things are somewhat different.

[quote]Only recently have I diverted from studying modern Buddhist texts. I've begun reading translated scriptures and again feel that there are inconsistencies. I'm having trouble understanding the principles the Buddha talks about because I keep finding these thoughts that contradict in my mind. For instance, in a few scriptures I was reading, Buddha spoke of something called 'The Essential Mind'. He explained that once stripped of our insubstantial body and mind, we can realize the Essential Mind and our true nature. The Essential Mind is said to be unchanging and eternal. However, to me it seems that the concept of an 'Essential Mind' contradicts with the idea of an absence of Self or the soul. If there is no such thing as an unchanging, eternal Self, how is there such a thing as the Essential Mind? The Essential Mind also contradicts with the idea that everything arises from causation, and nothing is inherently existent. How can both of these things be true?

Of course you are going to find things in the texts that 'contradict' your own thinking - because you are essentially programmed to think in terms of 'contradictions'. I know this is somewhat frustrating but there is no short cut - you just have to sit with it until it drops.

The secret is - don't try. Don't try to understand. Just accept. Yep, things don't add up but, Hey, what the heck.

Remember, you are now on a path which is very, very different to anything you have trod before. There are no 'transfer' credits up for grabs. You will have to face the path. But there are guides so make use of them.

You do not indicate which particular form of Buddhism you follow but if it is Tibetan Buddhist I would urge you to start with the Lam Rim text.

May all beings achieve happiness.
    PrairieGhost
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Sabre said:

It's confusing that there are multiple schools of Buddhism with different interpretation.

Yes, it makes my brain hurt sometimes... :D
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012

Yes, it makes my brain hurt sometimes... :D

Don't go by your brain, but by your heart. :thumbsup:
  • Sabre
    obviously there is something
    It might be worth asking how deep assumptions go. 'Obvious' things shouldn't get a free pass.

• Sabre

obviously there is something
    It might be worth asking how deep assumptions go. 'Obvious' things shouldn't get a free pass.

Obvious to me :p Buddhism isn't nihilism.
  • No, of course not. But, it seems to me that views based on existence or non-existence are not free of nihilism or eternalism.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2012
    It's funny. Nirvana is the supreme goal of Buddhist practice in every school, although it's referred to by other names sometimes. Yet, when pressed, Buddhists can't give you a definitive answer as to what Nirvana actually is. Any definition brings a round of "sort of, but no, that's not quite accurate" type comments.

Nirvana is very real and accessable, but not a place or even state of mind.
    Nirvana is bliss, but not all states of bliss are the true Nirvana.
    Nirvana is extinguishment of desires, but stopping desires does not necessarily mean Nirvana.
    Nirvana is the extinguishment of individual self, but that isn't the same as non-existance.

And so it goes.

What is it you really, really want out of life? If life is a journey, then where are you trying to get to? There's a lot of false Nirvanas. What would satisfy you completely and for all time? What would complete you, allow you to look around and say, "This is it. I've arrived. There's nothing left to fix"?

That's Nirvana. And not a single one of us can imagine what that might be. But it must be out there, somewhere.

And it is. But it's not "out there" somewhere. It's inside you. When you can look in your own heart and mind and say, "There's nothing left to fix." then you've discovered Nirvana. And you might be a beggar sitting on a sidewalk with a bowl when it happens. You might be a rich man looking at another hospital your donations have helped. You might be a mother looking at your child asleep in his bed.

Nirvana isn't.
    Cloud
  • Cinorjer:
    It's funny. Nirvana is the supreme goal of Buddhist practice in every school, although it's referred to by other names sometimes. Yet, when pressed, Buddhists can't give you a definitive answer as to what Nirvana actually is. Any definition brings a round of "sort of, but no, that's not quite accurate" type comments.
    You've noticed that too. Welcome to the club. It is odd that pop Buddhists are always bring up the Buddha's discourses with regard to the conditioned side of life but hardly ever mention the unconditioned, i.e., nirvana. In Stephen Batchelor's little book, Buddhism Without Beliefs, nirvana is only mentioned twice in passing. Has it become a punch line?

Nirvana is the whole enchilada of Buddhism. Ignoring it amounts to only learning about one half of Buddhism, the conditioned half which is about the three marks of existence, namely, origin (S., utpâda), passing away (S., vyaya) and change of state (S., sthity anyathâtvam) (cp. AN 3:47).
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Cinorjer said:

Yet, when pressed, Buddhists can't give you a definitive answer as to what Nirvana actually is.

Well, why do you think that is? :) It's because it is hard to realize and easy to convince or mistake oneself. But if we don't yet know, the suttas are very clear -if you stick to the earliest collections-. Nirvana as cessation of consciousness, of existence. But of course, naturally people also choose to interpret those terms in very fancy and evasive ways. (not meant as an offense, just an observation)
  • Sabre
    But of course, naturally people also choose to interpret those terms in very fancy and evasive ways.
    I actually see the idea of cessation of consciousness, in the sense you are using it, as a very fancy and evasive way to interpret our experience.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    That's ok.

By the way, for those interested I once opened a topic about what nirvana is here:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15952/nature-of-nirvana/p1

• Hi Sabre:
    That's ok.
    I get the impression that neither you nor I would fall to pieces if we were proved wrong, so yes, I think it is ok.
    Sabre
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2012
    escritara said:

The past few months, I've been trying to grasp the idea of 'non-existence' and the idea that there is no such thing as the Self. I feel pretty stable with these concepts, so far. However, what I don't understand is, if there is no such thing as the Self, if we do not inherently exist, then how can we ever truly achieve Nirvana? How can we, beings who do not inherently exist, have permanent residence in Nirvana? If We are all insubstantial beings in an insubstantial world, doesn't this completely contradict with the existence of Nirvana? Buddhism philosophy is based on the concept that nothing inherently exists. How does the idea of Nirvana fit with this concept?

I'm going to tackle this in bite-sized pieces.

It's a misinterpretation that there's no such thing as self. There's no such thing as a static, unchanging self. The self is always changing and evolving. This means it can evolve toward Enlightenment. The Buddha taught a Middle Way between the nihilism of "non-Self" and the eternalism of a fixed, static self. This is the ever-evolving self, a work-in-progress.

We don't "reside" in Nirvana, like people "go to" heaven. Nirvana, or Enlightenment, is the liberation from our own neuroses, our clinging to self, clinging to material objects or to ego, fame, whatever. Once we realize that all that is a construction of mind, and has no inherent existence, that we've conjured it all up, then we're free of it.

I must say, though, there's a thing about how material objects aren't "real", they're also just conjurings of our mind, that I still don't understand. Something about "dependent origination"--look it up. :)

I've never heard the term, "the essential mind". But it may be a translation of the "tathagatagarbha", the "Buddha nature", or "Buddha embryo" that we all have within us, the Enlightenment potential. The same sutra that introduces this idea also speaks of the "True Self". Once we abandon clinging to self, to ego, to self-image, when that all falls away, we realize "True Self", which is our Buddha nature coming to fruition. That's how I understand it, anyway.

• There is a difference between 'I see that person' and 'the mind sees that person'. There is a difference between the 'person' and the 'mind'. Generally we conflate the two and create a dualism.
  • And actually there's just "seeing". :) Breaking it down into "I" see "that person" is where the duality comes in.
  • Or is no one seeing a person actually what we really mean by saying 'I see a person'?