Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How long do I meditate?

I know it varies from individual to individual, but how long for the effect to kick in? People say 40 minutes is minimum because the mind would need that much time to settle. Anything less is a waste of time. I assumed, otoh, that anything is fine because it would have a cumulative effect.

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    music said:

I know it varies from individual to individual, but how long for the effect to kick in? People say 40 minutes is minimum because the mind would need that much time to settle. Anything less is a waste of time. I assumed, otoh, that anything is fine because it would have a cumulative effect.

It often takes 15-20 minutes for my mind to settle, but that will vary from person to person. Generally I would advise trying to establish a daily routine, ideally building up the time you sit over a period of time.
  • I sit for an hour each morning - have done consistently since 1995 as that time works well with me, it hasn't been difficult to maintain as I have managed to make it a natural part of my day, like eating, sleeping and working, ( at times have had to change my preferred time due to travel or other needs eg. giving birth ) .
    I still like to join in to group meditations when I can - I used to attend regularly on a weekly basis though don't do that now.
    I have had two children, continue to study and work throughout that time as well.
    I only get to attend retreats about once a year - would like to do more intensive long sessions as have benefit from this.
    Of course, I still have times of distraction, boredom and restlessness - I have been able to give up being too perturbed by them and analysing my progress so they aren't a bother anymore.
    GentleJanet
  • music said:

Meditation does not necessarily have an 'effect' - nor is there strictly a linear progression - so 'cumulative' 5 minutes don't necessarily make an hour nor is an hour necessarily more beneficial than 5 minutes.

You will be letting go of such notions and integrating meditation with non-meditation.

Take the time that you have and put it to use in the way that you choose - you're the best judge of how well that works for you.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Hey music, from your OP you make it sound like a drug or something, 'how long does it take to kick in.' Meditation should be taken from the cushion and into your everyday life, simply sitting, getting back up and acting like you did before you sat down without being aware of the mind and how it interacts with the world is simply giving you a brief calm in the storm, it is pointless. It is of course part of practice, but only a small part of what should be a minute to minute pactice throughout the day. Or this is my opinion anyway.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Meditation is useful for those that have practiced it well enough for it to be. So I believe how much we should practice depends on how much we want that "usefulness".
  • 1 second can be useful, a full week can be useful.

If you want to know how little you can get away with, that's only because you don't like meditation yet.
    federicaamandathetexan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    music said:

What 'effect'.... and why 'Kick in'....?
    Meditation is beneficial from the moment you decide to engage in it.
    What is it you want from meditation? And what makes you believe that it's from meditation, that it comes?

@music, I'm not entirely sure where you are learning about different aspects of Buddhism, but wherever you're "picking stuff up" from - I'd change source, if I were you.....
    Your idea of 'practice' and the general consensus of what is perceived as 'practice' here, seem to diverge alarmingly.

• I am a newcomer, also and currently, I sit in silent meditation for 10-minutes, once daily. It takes a couple of seconds for me to get settled (i.e swipe my hair out of my mouth, adjust my sitting position, etc.) but soon, I physically feel nothing and I am distracted only by my mind's chatter while I flip through the channels, trying to find that neutral zone. Somedays it seems busier in there than others. Its a daily, ever-changing experience. That's why its always called 'practice'.
    Zero said:

Meditation does not necessarily have an 'effect' - nor is there strictly a linear progression - so 'cumulative' 5 minutes don't necessarily make an hour nor is an hour necessarily more beneficial than 5 minutes.

I think an hour is much more beneficial than 5 minutes. :p
    ZeroSabre
  • There is some evidence that our concentration runs in cycles of almost exactly 22 minutes..
    Many teachers of academic subjects use that fact and build in breaks during lectures.
    Clearly that is not an option we would want to pursue if we have developed a degree of relaxed concentration..it does suggest however that anything less than 20 minutes will result in our constantly walking over the seeds that have just stated to sprout.
    I would suggest sitting for a minimum of 20 minutes..even if for a while 15 of those minutes are spent simply watching the monkey mind and smelling the incense.
    These things take time to learn, and they cut across much of our experience in a culture where there is a constant and rapid flow of data reaching us through our senses.
    Sabre
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    No, not necessarily, I'm afraid I disagree.....
  • With what federica ?
  • Short term: as much as you can, but be mindful of pushing too hard.

Long term: until you aren't meditating anymore.
    @Citta,

With this....

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think an hour is a big ask for a beginner. ( sorry about lapsing into football pundit speak ). My first experiences were in classes learning Vipassana, each session lasted about an hour and I found it VERY daunting...
    Having said that their is a lot to be said for learning in formal lessons...and nowadays the teachers tend to be more realistic about what westerners can manage when they are new to all this. Scattered and distrait as we tend to be.
    Or perhaps that's just me.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Like most folk, I do not know what the "magic" number is. Personally I meditate 40-45 min. each morning and 30-ish before retiring for the night.

I will say though, that for me, there was something about the 20 minute mark. I struggled with calming and focus until I hit that 20 minute mark. Then, something happened and it became much easier, and more calming after that. While any time period can work, if you're goal is more time "on the cushion," then see what happens when you try for more than 20 minutes.

Just my 2½¢ worth.

Just my 2½¢ worth.

Tch... Global recession-led inflation strikes again.

Citta said:

I think an hour is a big ask for a beginner.

I agree, that's why I suggested gradually building up the length of sits.
  • Sure. I made the usual website error of reading only your more recent post without reading its predecessor...I leapt right in ...

I will say though, that for me, there was something about the 20 minute mark.

I've heard quite a lot of people say this. It's a good reason for encouraging people to gradually extend the length of sits, because if they don't get beyond this point they're unlikely to experience what a calm mind actually feels like.
    federica said:

@Citta,

With this....

I've been teaching meditation on and off for quite a while, and everyone involved has said that longer sits are more beneficial.
    I don't dispute this.

All I know is that quantity does not always equal quality.

That's all. :)
  • Thanks, everyone. The reason I am asking about duration is because meditation is so boring. All I have to do is sit down and watch, watch, watch. The mind wanders, and I catch myself. Again, watch, watch, watch. So boring ...
    music said:

Again, watch, watch, watch. So boring ...

Stick with it - it will get more interesting - honest!
    music said:

Thanks, everyone. The reason I am asking about duration is because meditation is so boring. All I have to do is sit down and watch, watch, watch. The mind wanders, and I catch myself. Again, watch, watch, watch. So boring ...

If you're not doing it for the right motives - then don't do it.

It's like volunteering for charity.

If every move you make leaves you bored and resentful, it's really not worth you even offering.....

• federica said:

music said:

Thanks, everyone. The reason I am asking about duration is because meditation is so boring. All I have to do is sit down and watch, watch, watch. The mind wanders, and I catch myself. Again, watch, watch, watch. So boring ...

If you're not doing it for the right motives - then don't do it.

It's like volunteering for charity.

If every move you make leaves you bored and resentful, it's really not worth you even offering.....

I am doing it to gain insight. I believe that's a good motive. But I can't deny that I am getting bored either. Neither can I give up, cuz meditation seems to be the backbone of Buddhism.
    I hardly ever meditate. but when I do, it's usually for a max of around 15 minutes, and I feel regenerated, refreshed, grounded and definitely more laid-back and thoughtful.
    I'm working up to the hour mark. but I'll be honest, if it takes me two years or twenty, I really don't care.
  • Boring is ok...Boring can be a friend. Boring should not be avoided. Boring can surprise you...
  • music said:

But I can't deny that I am getting bored either.

Great that you dont deny it - it's provided you with insight already...

Sit with your boredom - it has much to teach you.
    federica
  • I recently started meditating on a consistent basis. I do about 15-20 mins in the morning (after I take the dogs out), after work, and before bed. I have found that sometimes if I decided to go further the time goes by much faster. While some people suggest to sit longer to get past that settling point, my personal goal is to see if it will calm down faster, by doing bringing myself to that threshold multiple times a day. Some days its frustrating... but that frustration is to be sat with as well.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    When I started, I started with 5 minutes. Not because I thought I'd magically get a benefit, but to get in the habit, and it's what I could tolerate before I was consumed with "am I done yet? My foot is numb. Cripes, hasn't it been 5 minutes yet?" and when those thoughts stopped, i extended my time a little at a time, and had a much easier time. I sit for about 25 minutes every morning, and sometimes shorter periods throughout the day. I also meditate for 30 minutes with my Sangha every Saturday morning. If you are tryin to sit for a specific period of time and all you can think is "am I done yet?" shorten the time and allow yourself to adjust.

Also, the point is not to stop your thoughts and sit in mind silence. The point is to be able to recognize the thought and let it go without following it and adding your own story to it. your mind thinks. That's what it does. However you do not have to follow your thoughts on all the twisted paths it takes you on. There is a difference between "I need a haircut." and "I need a haircut. Oh, it's Friday, it'll be busy. I can't do it today. Maybe I should plan on doing it when I go out of town next week. Ugh, my hairstylist is on vacation, too. God I hate haircuts."

If you hate it, you won't keep doing it, so don't try to force yourself into some set time period at the start.

Oh, and as you are able to comfortably increase your time, you will notice the stillness that comes follow you into your daily life. It won't happen all of a sudden, but it's a natural progression. A trained, and quieted mind allows itself to be quieted at other times of the day, too. You'll find yourself more easily making decisions, having patience, not reacting so quickly to situations. It comes naturally, and with time, and the more you do it, the more often you'll recognize meditation coming out in all areas of your life, as you work, play, do dishes, take showers. It's always there, but you can't see it unless you train your mind.
    GentleJanettmottes
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    karasti said:

[...] and when those thoughts stopped, i extended my time a little at a time, and had a much easier time [...]

For my (longer) morning sitting I use a timer (an iPhone app). One thing that helped me to get to 45 minutes was simply to add one minute each week to the timer.
    It's very odd, how audial reception is so attuned to sound, even during sleep...
    I have lain and listened to a meditative CD on many occasions... within moments of the first few bars, I fall asleep. Within minutes of the last bars, of the last track, playing - I awaken.
    I awaken refreshed, peaceful and reinvigorated, with a stilled Mind.
    Even in sleep, 'meditation' of a sort, can occur and bring much benefit.
    music said:

I am doing it to gain insight. I believe that's a good motive. But I can't deny that I am getting bored either. Neither can I give up, cuz meditation seems to be the backbone of Buddhism.

Yes, a regular meditation practice does seem to be an essential element of practice, and it also supports mindfulness throughout the day. Also remember that boredom like all other mental states is impermanent.
    It's possible that you would benefit from fine-tuning your technique - could you briefly describe your current approach?
  • I simply watch the breath, thats all. That's the only technique I know. So far, no improvement.
    Research other methods which may suit you better....
    edited September 2012
    music said:

I simply watch the breath, thats all. That's the only technique I know. So far, no improvement.

Do you follow the breath or pay attention to a particular point? And are you sitting with eyes open or closed?
    And do you have access to any meditation teachers, or people with more experience?
  • cozcoz Explorer
    peace all, well i find that sometimes walking meditation really helps to settel the mind,
    and it seems to help with sitting meditation, and i find following the breath seems to always get me so much deeper into my meditation, and as i let thoughts come and go
    i find that they intrude less and less finaly over time the true peace of the path to enlightenment always seems to show its self its a life long journey but im glad to be on it
    peace and joy
    Coz
    Wisdom23