Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Statue - From Space!

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-buddhist-statue-nazi-meteorite-reveals.html

I just read this, and thought it was interesting. A little sensational, but, still a pretty cool piece of history.

"Undated handout picture shows a thousand year-old ancient Buddhist statue known as the Iron Man. The statue was discovered in 1938 by an expedition of German scientists led by renowned zoologist Ernst Schäfer and supported by Nazi SS Chief Heinrich Himmler. A team from Stuttgart University have analysed the statue and were able to classify it as an ataxite, a rare class of iron meteorite. It sounds like an artifact from an Indiana Jones film; a 1,000 year-old ancient Buddhist statue which was first recovered by a Nazi expedition in 1938 has been analysed by scientists and has been found to be carved from a meteorite. The findings, published in Meteoritics and Planetary Science, reveal the priceless statue to be a rare ataxite class of meteorite.

The statue, known as the Iron Man, weighs 10kg and is believed to represent a stylistic hybrid between the Buddhist and pre-Buddhist Bon culture that portrays the god Vaisravana, the Buddhist King of the North, also known as Jambhala in Tibet.

The statue was discovered in 1938 by an expedition of German scientists led by renowned zoologist Ernst Schäfer. The expedition was supported by Nazi SS Chief Heinrich Himmler and the entire expeditionary team were believed to have been SS members.

Schäfer would later claim that he accepted SS support to advance his scientific research into the wildlife and anthropology of Tibet. However, historians believe Himmler's support may have been based on his belief that the origins of the Aryan race could be found in Tibet.

It is unknown how the statue was discovered, but it is believed that the large swastika carved into the centre of the figure may have encouraged the team to take it back to Germany. Once it arrived in Munich it became part of a private collection and only became available for study following an auction in 2007.

The first team to study the origins of the statue was led by Dr Elmar Buchner from Stuttgart University. The team was able to classify it as an ataxite, a rare class of iron meteorite with high contents of nickel.

"The statue was chiseled from a fragment of the Chinga meteorite which crashed into the border areas between Mongolia and Siberia about 15,000 years ago," said Dr Buchner. "While the first debris was officially discovered in 1913 by gold prospectors, we believe that this individual meteorite fragment was collected many centuries before."

Meteorites inspired worship from many ancient cultures ranging from the Inuit's of Greenland to the aborigines of Australia. Even today one of the most famous worship sites in the world, Mecca in Saudi Arabia, is based upon the Black Stone, believed to be a stony meteorite. Dr Buchner's team believe the Iron Man originated from the Bon culture of the 11th Century.

"The Iron Man statue is the only known illustration of a human figure to be carved into a meteorite, which means we have nothing to compare it to when assessing value," concluded Dr Buchner. "Its origins alone may value it at $20,000; however, if our estimation of its age is correct and it is nearly a thousand years old it could be invaluable."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-09-buddhist-statue-nazi-meteorite-reveals.html#jCp"

What do ya'll think of this?

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I think it's Way Cool.
    Nazis, 1930's explorers in Tibet, space rocks, the search for the origins of a mythical race, mystical symbols, ancient religion...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have three of these in my garage....
    poptartBeej
  • edited September 2012
    federica said:

I have three of these in my garage....

Nazis or statues?
    amandathetexanPrairieGhostRebeccaSBeej
  • For you ze var is ohfer.
    Beej
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Nazis, 1930's explorers in Tibet, space rocks, the search for the origins of a mythical race, mystical symbols, ancient religion...
    Coming soon to the History Channel.
    seriously.

Used to watch History all the time as a kid, and now it's like time-tabloids lol
  • @sova it really is sad how much it (and channels like NatGeo) have degraded. I fear Idiocracy is really happening based on this. I learned SO MUCH then, and kids watch more TV nowadays I think, but it's all junk...
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2012

Coming soon to the History Channel.

"Or could it be that is is actually proof of ancient aliens contacting our ancestors."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    PrairieGhostamandathetexanBeej
  • amandathetexan:
    @sova it really is sad how much it (and channels like NatGeo) have degraded. I fear Idiocracy is really happening based on this. I learned SO MUCH then, and kids watch more TV nowadays I think, but it's all junk...
    At the risk of bringing the mood down, in my view, the reason is escapism, which thrives at times when the real world seems too unpleasant to dwell on.
  • PrairieGhost, yeah, I can't disagree with that. But I think it's also just jumping on the bandwagon of 'reality TV,' - shows like Planet Earth and the like were very popular.
    sova
  • Planet Earth was totally amazing, I love that series!
    sova
  • Of course we all know the answer.
    amandathetexanPrairieGhostBeej
  • @ThailandTom - I'm trying to convince my husband to go as him for halloween... they the same hair! :) He's hilarious.
  • @ThailandTom - I'm trying to convince my husband to go as him for halloween... they the same hair! :) He's hilarious.

hahahahaha, oh that has made my morning, thank you. I find the guy hilarious too. You should REALLY convince your husband to go as him at halloween, just get some foundation for a fake tan and practice the eye squinting and hand gestures :lol:
    amandathetexan
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    You know, I saw the 'I'm not saying it's aliens' meme before I saw the actual show. I didn't realise he was a real person being interviewed for a real programme. I could hardly believe my eyes when that guy... with that hair... :eek2:
    amandathetexan
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited September 2012
    yeah... when the history channel actually used to be about history I felt that TV still had some value. now, not so much. Ancient Aliens is a fun show, but its just people "jazz-riffing" on half truths. Oh well... at least with YouTube you feel like you are kind of "asking" to be bull-shitted on. :lol:

oh and cool article, btw... :thumbsup:
  • It would be rather baffling if the reason the Nazi Party chose the swastika as their party emblem was because it was on this meteorite statue...
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2012
    hahaha every time I come to this thread I invision that guy and his over-emphasizing of everything, what a legend he is in his own right. I wonder what he thinks about being a meme... :skeptic:
  • ThailandTom:
    I wonder what he thinks about being a meme...
    amandathetexanBeej
  • bwaaahahahaha. With each series I am sure his hair becomes more electrified!
    amandathetexanBeej
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Or could it be that is is actually proof of ancient aliens contacting our ancestors."

Do you remember that book "Chariot of the Gods" by Herbet Von Danish Pastry? :D
  • Or could it be that is is actually proof of ancient aliens contacting our ancestors."

Remember no, ever heard of it, no lol
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    An article in today's USA Today paper, in part, said:

The "iron man" statue is thought to be a depiction of the god Vaisravana, the Buddhist King of the North, aka the Hindu deity Kubera, report German researchers led by Elmar Buchner of the University of Stuttgart. The statue was probably carved about 1,000 years ago.The researchers started testing the statue's origins in 2007 after its auction to a collector, who allowed it to be tested.

Full story here: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/sciencefair/story/2012/09/27/space-buddha-origins-revealed/57848094/1
  • An article in today's USA Today paper, in part, said:

The "iron man" statue is thought to be a depiction of the god Vaisravana, the Buddhist King of the North, aka the Hindu deity Kubera, report German researchers led by Elmar Buchner of the University of Stuttgart. The statue was probably carved about 1,000 years ago.The researchers started testing the statue's origins in 2007 after its auction to a collector, who allowed it to be tested.

Full story here: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/sciencefair/story/2012/09/27/space-buddha-origins-revealed/57848094/1

Beej
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited September 2012

It's Eric Von Danniken... can't say if he likes pastries, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

I had an alien dream last night. The meme dude was not in it, but I wish he was. Would have made it more convincing. Bwahahahahahahaha.

ThailandTom
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It's Eric Von Danniken... can't say if he likes pastries, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.

I had an alien dream last night. The meme dude was not in it, but I wish he was. Would have made it more convincing. Bwahahahahahahaha.

Alien dreams are interesting - maybe you were abducted? ;)